Rush Remasters

GeddyLeeRoth

I still have original CD issues of AFTK thru MP and want to finally replace them. I did a little research, and all I see are 1997 remasters. I have all their other 'classics' remastered, but no date is shown. Are these the only versions? Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Oct 3 2012, 09:43 AM)
I still have original CD issues of AFTK thru MP and want to finally replace them. I did a little research, and all I see are 1997 remasters. I have all their other 'classics' remastered, but no date is shown. Are these the only versions?

They're the only one I've ever seen (aside from 5.1 Dolby or the audiophile golds).

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Oct 3 2012, 08:43 AM)
I still have original CD issues of AFTK thru MP and want to finally replace them. I did a little research, and all I see are 1997 remasters. I have all their other 'classics' remastered, but no date is shown. Are these the only versions?

I lot of people prefer the originals to the remastered versions. One good thing about the remastered versions of All the World's a Stage and Exit Stage Left is that each includes one more song than the original CDs.

As an aside, David Lee Roth has made fun of Rush in the past for being a no-fun band that doesn't understand the nature of rock and roll.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 3 2012, 05:31 PM)

I lot of people prefer the originals to the remastered versions. One good thing about the remastered versions of All the World's a Stage and Exit Stage Left is that each includes one more song than the original CDs.

Yes, I was bummed when I first bought ESL on CD. My cassette had one more song and then it just wore out and BBB disappeared from ESL (and my listening pleasure) until the late 90s when I bought the remaster.

On, ATWAS What Your Doing was missing on the original CD, right? That was a long time ago and I think that was the missing one.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Oct 3 2012, 05:10 PM)

Yes, I was bummed when I first bought ESL on CD. My cassette had one more song and then it just wore out and BBB disappeared from ESL (and my listening pleasure) until the late 90s when I bought the remaster.

On, ATWAS What Your Doing was missing on the original CD, right? That was a long time ago and I think that was the missing one.

Yes on ATWAS, but no on ESL. A Passage to Bangkok was left off of that one. BBB was always on, IIRC.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 3 2012, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Oct 3 2012, 05:10 PM)

Yes on ATWAS, but no on ESL. A Passage to Bangkok was left off of that one. BBB was always on, IIRC.

Yes, that's right! That was a time long ago. laugh.gif

Thanks for jiggling the handle, Led. smile.gif

trink39.gif

The only Rush albums I've replaced with remasters are 2112 and Caress Of Steel. And I remember thinking at the time that I couldn't tell much difference. The only CD versions of the debut, FBN, ATWAS, ESL and some post-MP albums are remasters, so I have nothing to compare those too, but they sound awesome.

The 97 remasters are loud brickwalled crap. The original CD's sound way better. If you want other versions, go with some of the MFSL gold CD's (though stay away from 2112 as its terrible) or get some of the Japanese 25.8P CD's or the original Anthems. The Anthems sound fantastic.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Oct 4 2012, 08:10 PM)

The 97 remasters are loud brickwalled crap. The original CD's sound way better. If you want other versions, go with some of the MFSL gold CD's (though stay away from 2112 as its terrible) or get some of the Japanese 25.8P CD's or the original Anthems. The Anthems sound fantastic.

The West German CDs from Rush to A Show Of Hands, 1974-1989, are about the best you can get or the Japanese SHM CDs from 2009. If you just want to put the albums on an iPod type device or your phone then the Sector Box sets will do.

Vinyl beats them all.

The Rush Remasters from 1997 are an abomination before man and they will cause God to punish us. Avoid them at all costs.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 5 2012, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Oct 4 2012, 08:10 PM)

The West German CDs from Rush to A Show Of Hands, 1974-1989, are about the best you can get or the Japanese SHM CDs from 2009. If you just want to put the albums on an iPod type device or your phone then the Sector Box sets will do.

Vinyl beats them all.

The Rush Remasters from 1997 are an abomination before man and they will cause God to punish us. Avoid them at all costs.

Wow. I can't believe how much flack the 97 remasters are getting. When I replaced COS & 2112 like 10 yrs ago, I gave the originals to my brother. Recently he commented they sounded like thin sounding crap. I honestly thought I couldn't tell much difference at the time. Maybe I need to hang onto my other originals and tell my brother to shut the hell up.

It's really just a matter of what sounds good to you and you can get the 97 remasters pretty cheap right now. If you like the 97 versions then you will love the Sector Box Sets. If I didn't have any other versions then the 97 remasters would do. They do restore the missing songs on the live albums and Signals sounds better than the original. Actually the 97 versions sound better than some of the original US CDs, they were thin sounding and pretty cold, but so were a lot of early CDs.

(Just wanted to give an honest assessment, instead of a rant.)

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 5 2012, 12:45 PM)
It's really just a matter of what sounds good to you and you can get the 97 remasters pretty cheap right now. If you like the 97 versions then you will love the Sector Box Sets. If I didn't have any other versions then the 97 remasters would do. They do restore the missing songs on the live albums and Signals sounds better than the original. Actually the 97 versions sound better than some of the original US CDs, they were thin sounding and pretty cold, but so were a lot of early CDs.

The Sectors box set is superb!!!! Case Closed 2.gif

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 3 2012, 05:32 PM)
As an aside, David Lee Roth has made fun of Rush in the past for being a no-fun band that doesn't understand the nature of rock and roll.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/oh-you-show.jpg

Oh, the attempt to troll. Nice try.

Now back on topic, I have to say the remasters are pretty good and do help the sound out. Especially with Exit...Stage Left. On my vinyl copy of that album, it is fairly muddy, while the CD remaster sounds excellent.

QUOTE (waluigithewalrus @ Oct 8 2012, 12:34 PM)

Now back on topic, I have to say the remasters are pretty good and do help the sound out. Especially with Exit...Stage Left. On my vinyl copy of that album, it is fairly muddy, while the CD remaster sounds excellent.

Huh?

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 5 2012, 01:45 PM)
It's really just a matter of what sounds good to you and you can get the 97 remasters pretty cheap right now.  If you like the 97 versions then you will love the Sector Box Sets.  If I didn't have any other versions then the 97 remasters would do.  They do restore the missing songs on the live albums and Signals sounds better than the original.  Actually the 97 versions sound better than some of the original US CDs, they were thin sounding and pretty cold, but so were a lot of early CDs.

That is a good assessment, drbirdsong.

I sold my original US-bought CDs when I bought the remasters. To my ear, the remasters sound hotter and not as cold and thin as the originals.

You are right, it is all about what you care for as a listener and a fan and what sounds good to your ear.

Could I have a rant if I wanted? wink.gif

Are the '97 remasters the ones that say "The Rush Remasters" or something like that along the edge of the cd case?

If so I'm pretty sure I have the '97 remasters of AFTK, ATWAS & ESL and the rest of my cds are the original masters. I never noticed anything bad about the AFTK master, the other 2 don't sound so great but I just chalked it up to them being live albums.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Oct 8 2012, 02:13 PM)
Are the '97 remasters the ones that say "The Rush Remasters" or something like that along the edge of the cd case?

If so I'm pretty sure I have the '97 remasters of AFTK, ATWAS & ESL and the rest of my cds are the original masters. I never noticed anything bad about the AFTK master, the other 2 don't sound so great but I just chalked it up to them being live albums.

Yes.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 8 2012, 01:57 PM)

Huh?

Eh...oops biggrin.gif . Sorry about that one. I'm just used to people posting kind of off topic things kinda being trolls from another forum I go to.

QUOTE (waluigithewalrus @ Oct 8 2012, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Oct 8 2012, 01:57 PM)

Huh?

Eh...oops biggrin.gif . Sorry about that one. I'm just used to people posting kind of off topic things kinda being trolls from another forum I go to.

I just made the comment because of the name of the OP. I find it ironic because there has been obvious tension between DLR and Rush. I figured the OP is a fan of both, but I didn't know if he knew about the history between the two.

I've tried to answer his core question as best I could.

If you're into Roll the Bones, I'd go with the 2011 Audio Fidelity remaster, as it's minimally compressed and maintains a crisp, clean sound. If you think the original disc sounds too "thin", try the 2004 Atlantic remaster. It adds more low-end punch, but is a bit too muddy for my tastes.