Jump to content


10 - Best Song From Grace Under Pressure


439 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think is the best song from this album? (1180 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think is the best song from this album?

  1. Distant Early Warning (174 votes [14.71%])

    Percentage of vote: 14.71%

  2. Afterimage (138 votes [11.67%])

    Percentage of vote: 11.67%

  3. Red Sector A (224 votes [18.93%])

    Percentage of vote: 18.93%

  4. The Enemy Within (151 votes [12.76%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.76%

  5. The Body Electric (58 votes [4.90%])

    Percentage of vote: 4.90%

  6. Kid Gloves (103 votes [8.71%])

    Percentage of vote: 8.71%

  7. Red Lenses (40 votes [3.38%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.38%

  8. Between The Wheels (295 votes [24.94%])

    Percentage of vote: 24.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#401 yyzjam

yyzjam

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Red Sector Eh

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

Afterimage, some of Neil's best lyrics.

Sponsored Post

#402 jruiz2112

jruiz2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 203 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hollywood, Florida
  • Interests:Music, work, music, play, music, soccer, music...and so on and so forth....=) \m/

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Red A is the perfect 80s groove!

#403 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

    The Dane of the Culinary Arts

  • Members *
  • 6123 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm right here.
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

I went with The Body Electric.

English is not my native language so it usually takes a lot of listening before I'm familiar with the lyrics. Heck, there is even Rush songs I don't know the lyrics to. It doesn't bother me, because (and this is probably due to me being a guitarist) I focus on the melody and the "delivery" of the lyrics. There is a certain place in The Body Electric that always sends shivers down my spine, and gives me goosebumps. It's not the lyrics but the way he sings them:

Guidance systems break down
A struggle to exist - to resist
A pulse of dying power in a clenching plastic fist

#404 comitatus1

comitatus1

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 12 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

The whole album is great and musically cohesive...but the imagery from Red Sector A makes it the top song...if only by a hair.

Chris

#405 NoGodorGovernment

NoGodorGovernment

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Where the wind blows
  • Interests:Philosophy, Rush, traveling the world, being an entrepreneur, helping people.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:03 AM

The Enemy Within. Brings tears to my eyes it's so good. Between the Wheels is a close second. Every song on this album is amazing except for Kid Gloves.

#406 Maritza_Castro_Rivera

Maritza_Castro_Rivera

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Navojoa, Sonora, Mexico

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

"Red sector A." That's my favorite song by Rush.

#407 vinciedaltrey

vinciedaltrey

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 152 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:New York

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:08 AM

The Body Electric....or Red Sector A. Tough choice.

#408 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32225 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

To be perfectly honest,  I love this album completely from start to finish, its a masterpiece!  But I went for Afterimage. I adore the lyrics and the chorus melody is a killer!

Nothing to criticize with this album, I prefer it to Signals!

#409 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 3537 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:19 AM

Gah, I'm having trouble with this decision. I want to say Red Sector A, but Distant Early Warning has a better melody, and some of the other songs come really close as well.

...I guess it's Red Sector A, the combination of the lyrics and some of the darkest, most powerful synth use I've ever heard from Rush put it over the top.

#410 Brucey

Brucey

    Babycat's Nemesis

  • Members *
  • 8888 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

Between The Wheels for me. That guitar solo's one of his very best.

#411 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

    Vapor Trail

  • Members *
  • 18664 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sweden
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

I am listening on Grace Under Pressure right now...and I must say, damn its hard to decide between the first four songs!

Before I would have said Red Sector A, but I have listened so much on this album latley that I love the whole album now.

I think I must say the song The Enemy Within.

#412 g under p

g under p

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4841 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Surfing the far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

For me it has to be Red Sector A. From the first tour and show of RUSH back in 84' this song stood out for me and STILL does today.

#413 NaturalHemisphereGarden

NaturalHemisphereGarden

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 330 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Kid Gloves because of the 5/4, the energy, and the awesome guitar solo.

#414 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42064 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostNaturalHemisphereGarden, on 07 July 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Kid Gloves because of the 5/4, the energy, and the awesome guitar solo.

I love that song too.  You are right - the song has a lot of energy.

#415 KennyLee

KennyLee

    Always A Bridesmaid

  • Members
  • 2937 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Delaware
  • Interests:Rush, hockey, Rush and hockey.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

Love The Enemy Within!  

Red Sector A was a close, close second.

#416 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostLorraine, on 08 July 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostNaturalHemisphereGarden, on 07 July 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Kid Gloves because of the 5/4, the energy, and the awesome guitar solo.

I love that song too.  You are right - the song has a lot of energy.
I just listened to Grace Under Pressure in its entirety (thanks Lorraine). My opinion hasn't changed. Its a good album. Red Sector A is still the star for me followed closely by Between The Wheels. Red Lenses is one of their worst of at least that era and probably ever.....

Power Windows tomorrow and then it gets scary from there..... :scared:

Edited by Narpski, 08 July 2014 - 05:05 PM.


#417 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 3537 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostNarpski, on 08 July 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 08 July 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostNaturalHemisphereGarden, on 07 July 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Kid Gloves because of the 5/4, the energy, and the awesome guitar solo.

I love that song too.  You are right - the song has a lot of energy.
I just listened to Grace Under Pressure in its entirety (thanks Lorraine). My opinion hasn't changed. Its a good album. Red Sector A is still the star for me followed closely by Between The Wheels. Red Lenses is one of their worst of at least that era and probably ever.....

Power Windows tomorrow and then it gets scary from there..... :scared:

Really glad to see you're getting in depth out past Moving Pictures, Narpski. :) Red Sector A's definitely my favorite, but I don't think DEW get's enough credit in the forum, like CTTH and Tom Sawyer.

#418 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 08 July 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 08 July 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 08 July 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostNaturalHemisphereGarden, on 07 July 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Kid Gloves because of the 5/4, the energy, and the awesome guitar solo.

I love that song too.  You are right - the song has a lot of energy.
I just listened to Grace Under Pressure in its entirety (thanks Lorraine). My opinion hasn't changed. Its a good album. Red Sector A is still the star for me followed closely by Between The Wheels. Red Lenses is one of their worst of at least that era and probably ever.....

Power Windows tomorrow and then it gets scary from there..... :scared:

Really glad to see you're getting in depth out past Moving Pictures, Narpski. :) Red Sector A's definitely my favorite, but I don't think DEW get's enough credit in the forum, like CTTH and Tom Sawyer.
DEW is an excellent song as well. I have the albums up to Power Windows and have heard them many times over just not the 80's one's recently. I know the bass tone ( the Wahl or whatever it is) is going to kill me on HYF. I like Mission but the rest we will see on Thursday.....

#419 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 3537 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostNarpski, on 08 July 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 08 July 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 08 July 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 08 July 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostNaturalHemisphereGarden, on 07 July 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Kid Gloves because of the 5/4, the energy, and the awesome guitar solo.

I love that song too.  You are right - the song has a lot of energy.
I just listened to Grace Under Pressure in its entirety (thanks Lorraine). My opinion hasn't changed. Its a good album. Red Sector A is still the star for me followed closely by Between The Wheels. Red Lenses is one of their worst of at least that era and probably ever.....

Power Windows tomorrow and then it gets scary from there..... :scared:

Really glad to see you're getting in depth out past Moving Pictures, Narpski. :) Red Sector A's definitely my favorite, but I don't think DEW get's enough credit in the forum, like CTTH and Tom Sawyer.
DEW is an excellent song as well. I have the albums up to Power Windows and have heard them many times over just not the 80's one's recently. I know the bass tone ( the Wahl or whatever it is) is going to kill me on HYF. I like Mission but the rest we will see on Thursday.....

Well, I love Forced Ten and Lock And Key from HYF, but the last two songs especially are semi-forgettable, if that helps your pre-listening experience.

#420 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 08 July 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 08 July 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 08 July 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 08 July 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 08 July 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

View PostNaturalHemisphereGarden, on 07 July 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

Kid Gloves because of the 5/4, the energy, and the awesome guitar solo.

I love that song too.  You are right - the song has a lot of energy.
I just listened to Grace Under Pressure in its entirety (thanks Lorraine). My opinion hasn't changed. Its a good album. Red Sector A is still the star for me followed closely by Between The Wheels. Red Lenses is one of their worst of at least that era and probably ever.....

Power Windows tomorrow and then it gets scary from there..... :scared:

Really glad to see you're getting in depth out past Moving Pictures, Narpski. :) Red Sector A's definitely my favorite, but I don't think DEW get's enough credit in the forum, like CTTH and Tom Sawyer.
DEW is an excellent song as well. I have the albums up to Power Windows and have heard them many times over just not the 80's one's recently. I know the bass tone ( the Wahl or whatever it is) is going to kill me on HYF. I like Mission but the rest we will see on Thursday.....

Well, I love Forced Ten and Lock And Key from HYF, but the last two songs especially are semi-forgettable, if that helps your pre-listening experience.
Thanks. I will probably have to hold my nose but I am going to get through it. The one's beyond that are really going to be problematic I have a feeling. I tried to listen to Roll The Bones before once or twice. Yowza.... :(



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users