Rush in Cinema & Television

Tombstone Mountain

I though this would be a fun topic to start. Captain Jack Aubrey has informed me that no such thread exists, so here it goes:

A recent viewing of "the 40-year old virgin" brought out a Rush mention. Steve Carrell is getting his wax job and says "Alex Lifeson" when he's getting his chest hair pulled. This was a cable viewing so it may be different than the DVD...

Which movies or TV shows can you think of that mention Rush or individual band members?

2.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 25 2012, 10:41 AM)

A recent viewing of "the 40-year old virgin" brought out a Rush mention. Steve Carrell is getting his wax job and says "Alex Lifeson" when he's getting his chest hair pulled. This was a cable viewing so it may be different than the DVD...

I believe it is Kelly Clarkson he says; not Alex Lifeson

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 26 2012, 05:35 AM)

Alex Lifeson comes out of his vocal chords

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 26 2012, 08:57 AM)

Unless they changed it for cable as "Kelly Clarkson" is now a curse word... he says Kelly Clarkson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405422/quotes

[having his belly hair waxed]

Andy Stitzer: [yells] Yooooooooow, Kelly Clarkson!

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 26 2012, 10:22 AM)

Unless they changed it for cable as "Kelly Clarkson" is now a curse word... he says Kelly Clarkson.

OK, I still heard Alex Lifeson.

How about the mention of Geddy Lee in "Orgasmo"?

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 26 2012, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 26 2012, 10:22 AM)

OK, I still heard Alex Lifeson.

Try again and see - likely just your Rush bias assisting in what you heard.

There is a Family Guy episode where they do a Cheetos commercial with Chester Cheetah listening to Rush while doing lines of Cheetos, and Chester says something along the lines of "Neil Peart is the greatest f***ing drummer in the world, man!"

The new VW Passat commercial with the guy air drumming to Fly By Night.

There is an episode of Without A Trace where this woman kidnaps a guy who is a huge Rush fan and lures him to her apartment by telling him she has Rush bootlegs, and they play said bootlegs in the episode.

Those are the three that come to mind.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/main/RushReferences.htm

Some gems in there:

Fast Times At Ridgemont High, August 13, 1982

[Fast Times at Ridgemont High] During the scene in the record store (35 minutes into the movie) where Mike Damone is giving Mark Ratner his five point plan on dating ("When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV."), there is a row of Exit Stage Left albums in the racks under the "Licorice Pizza" sign (they are between Ted Nugent's Great Gonzos and The Cars' Shake It Up).

The Young Ones, British television series, aired November 23, 1982

[The Young Ones] During the episode titled "Boring", Vyvyan wears a 2112 t-shirt.

Strange Brew, August 26, 1983

[strange Brew, click to enlarge] Starring Bob and Doug McKenzie (Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis), who drive a red van with a Rush bumper sticker. Previously, Geddy Lee sang on "Take Off", the single from the McKenzie Brothers' comedy album, Great White North.

Synchronicity Concert, concert video by The Police, filmed November 3, 1983

[synchronicity Concert] A fan in the crowd can be seen wearing a Rush Signals t-shirt right after "De Do Do Do De Da Da Da".

The Natural, May 11, 1984

2112 sighting: about 46 minutes into the film, when Bump Bailey (Michael Madsen) crashes through the rightfield wall in pursuit of a flyball, two players wearing jersey numbers "21" and "12" race to his aid.

Teachers, October 5, 1984

Three minutes before the end of the movie, as the school is evacuating during a fire alarm, Ralph Macchio asks Nick Nolte "So are you gonna stay or are you gonna go?", Nolte exits the frame and coming up behind him is a short kid with long hair and mirrored aviator sunglasses wearing a gray Moving Pictures t-shirt.

A Nightmare On Elm Street, November 9, 1984

[A Nightmare on Elm Street] Glenn, played by Johnny Depp, has a Grace Under Pressure album cover poster on the wall above his bed.

I remember a reference on MST3K back in the early 90s - something about a Neil Peart drum solo. I'll try and find the episode.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 26 2012, 09:57 AM)

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I just looked for the How I Met Your Mother reference already written for me. smile.gif

http://www.rushisaband.com/display.php?id=1793

"How I Met Your Mother is a US sitcom that runs Monday nights on CBS. In last night's episode (Season 4, episode 18 Old King Clancy) there is a Rush reference. Barney (Neil Patrick Harris), Marshall (Jason Segel - who also stars in I Love You Man) and Lily (Alyson Hannigan) were talking with Robin (Cobie Smulders) about a sexual experience she had with a Canadian celebrity who got her back to his place by showing her a very unique collection but ruined the moment when this celebrity wanted to do a weird Canadian sex act. Over the course of the episode, the characters tried to guess the celebrity, the sex act and the items that this celebrity collected. At one point, Lily guessed anyone from the band Rush, a Montreal meat pie and superhero lunchboxes. You can watch the entire episode online at this link (the Rush reference occurs at about the 16:40 mark). Thanks to Riff Raff for the heads up."