classical

R.G

does anyone here like to listen to classical music? i really enjoy classical, especially Bach, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Rachmaninov. so if you like classical let us know! favourite composers, compositions etc

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jun 20 2005, 09:08 AM)
For the first 14, 15 years of my life, I grew up listening exclusively to classical. I think my favorite piece would be Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, for sentimental reasons.

I think that's great, Moon. I try to play many different kinds of music, so my kids will have a wider appreciation. Do you play any instruments classically?

I've tried and tried with classical music, even been to a couple classical music concerts in my youth, but every time I hear classical music, I always have the same exact reaction and thought - "BORRRRRRING!" schla03.gif

I don't really DISlike, and I find if very non-offensive (unlike country wink.gif ) and benign, but it just doesn't move me at all. About the only time I really enjoy classical is when it's used for movie soundtracks, and then I don't mind because it seems to accentuate the visuals, but you won't see me running out and buying the soundtrack. Hell, I even have the Star Wars theme as my ringtone, but it's mostly because of the association with the movie that I appreciate it. I loved the movie Amadeus and thought the music was wonderful in it, but really only because it fit in with the story, etc. Again, I don't own the soundtrack.

I actually knew a person who taught classical music appreciation classes, but I would only take it if he in turn took a psychedelic music appreciation class from me. It never happened... tongue.gif

nice to see i'm not alone here smile.gif

i see where you're coming from rushgoober. perhaps its a case of finding the right classical music for you, being such a vast genre of music there can be a lot that one wont find interesting/inspiring etc yet also some that will really capture the listener.

i see where you're coming from rushgoober. perhaps its a case of finding the right classical music for you, being such a vast genre of music there can be a lot that one wont find interesting/inspiring etc yet also some that will really capture the listener.

It's possible R.G., but classical music is everywhere, so it's hard not to get exposed to it on a pretty regular basis. I've really yet to find something that inspired me to go out and get some. That being said though, there is some more modern day music I own that could be classified somewhat as classical - a Phillip Glass/Ravi Shankar cd, Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, but those really have a very modern slant and are pretty far from what people consider classical, not to mention the fact that I rarely listen to them. I really love some Indian music, and that's classical to an extent, but with a VASTLY different feel (both soundwise and instrumentation) than European classical that most people think of.

I find it a pattern, and I'm very guilty of it myself, of people who love a certain genre encouraging others that aren't into it to keep listening if they don't immediately dig it so it can grow on them, but it's easier to say that than to be the one to try and do it. It's prety hard to find any motivation to keep listening to music you really aren't into to try and like it when there's so much you have that you do like - it feels like unnecessary extra credit homework... unsure.gif

Everyone is just so different and unique. yes.gif

Peace,

Gary

that's true, sorry didn't mean to seem pushy or anything. i understand why its not for some

I'd have to put a word in for early 20th century composers:

Holst
Mussogsky
Gershwin

I'm also keen on Tchaikovsky, Beathoven, and Vivaldi.

goodpost.gif

i agree, i really enjoy Holst

I've been a fan of classical music, to some degree or other, since I was about 5 or 6 although I only really gained a real appreciation until I reached my teens.

As for my favourite composers, I would have to list them as (in no order), Beethoven, Mussourgsky, Tchaikovsky, Holst, Rossini (I don't really like opera much but his overtures are phenomenal), Prokoviev and Grieg.

I would also like to commit what seems to be musical heresy among the classical community and say that, on the whole, I am completely unmoved by Mozart.

More recently, I've become more and more interested in orchestral film scores. For this aspect, I would cite James Horner, Danny Elfman, John Williams and Howard Shore as particular favourites.

QUOTE (R.G @ Jun 20 2005, 10:43 AM)
that's true, sorry didn't mean to seem pushy or anything. i understand why its not for some

not at all, dude, you were totally cool. you love what you love and are enthusiastic about it and want other people to appreciate it because you want to share what moves you so it can hopefully move them too - i'm the same way and can totally relate. it's all good! biggrin.gif

peace,

gary (rushgoober)

Wow, I never realised that there were classical music fans here... Just never thought about it really. I love classical, and piano music. I am just not good with names. I know what songs I like... When I hear them. I like the songs that sound moody, and change keys... Does that help? ph34r.gif

Wow, I never realised that there were classical music fans here... Just never thought about it really. I love classical, and piano music. I am just not good with names. I know what songs I like... When I hear them. I like the songs that sound moody, and change keys... Does that help? 

i know what you mean Alsgalpal. i guess you like pieces in mainly a minor key from what you say

QUOTE (R.G @ Jun 20 2005, 12:04 PM)
Wow, I never realised that there were classical music fans here... Just never thought about it really. I love classical, and piano music. I am just not good with names. I know what songs I like... When I hear them. I like the songs that sound moody, and change keys... Does that help? 

i know what you mean Alsgalpal. i guess you like pieces in mainly a minor key from what you say

Yip. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

My great example would be a contemporary piece by Jim Brickman, called Night Rain. One of my favorite peices of piano music, and I like the classical tunes that follow that....

I listen to some classical. I can't name any songs of composers when I hear them, but I like it. It's great to listen to when you are driving thru the woods or along the coast. My 7 year old always asks to listen to classical when we are driving & she goes to sleep with on a radio in her room everynight.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jun 20 2005, 12:31 PM)
I listen to some classical. I can't name any songs of composers when I hear them, but I like it. It's great to listen to when you are driving thru the woods or along the coast. My 7 year old always asks to listen to classical when we are driving & she goes to sleep with on a radio in her room everynight.

When I put on Arias by Andrea Bocelli, my two older kids immediately get sleepy. I played it for them at naptime, or when I had to drive them around to get them to sleep when they were babies. They associate the music with relaxation. How's that for psychological conditioning? wink.gif

When I put on Arias by Andrea Bocelli, my two older kids immediately get sleepy. I played it for them at naptime, or when I had to drive them around to get them to sleep when they were babies. They associate the music with relaxation. How's that for psychological conditioning? 

that is rather nifty! well done laugh.gif

I must put ion a word here for Orff's "Camina Birana".

You know the opening movement "O Fortuna" as the Old Spice or Excalibur music, but the whole thing is tremendous.

i agree completely with this too! i got it on CD just the other day, its really wonderful

QUOTE (R.G @ Jun 20 2005, 03:14 PM)
When I put on Arias by Andrea Bocelli, my two older kids immediately get sleepy. I played it for them at naptime, or when I had to drive them around to get them to sleep when they were babies. They associate the music with relaxation. How's that for psychological conditioning? 

that is rather nifty! well done laugh.gif

Maybe. But, if they ever go to the opera, they'll fall asleep! laugh.gif

What was that episode of M.A.S.H when Radar was told to impress a girl he liked and she was a classical music fan. Just say "AHH BACH ! " laugh.gif I enjoy classical music matter of fact probably own more classical in music library then any other type in cd collection. (Of course vinyl and cassettes solid rock, RUSH OWN IN ALL FORMATS) My favorites in classical: AARON COPLAND favorite composer -APPALACHIAN SPRING,FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN among others. SAMUEL BARBER- ADAGIO FOR STRINGS hauntingly beautiful. RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS secound favorite composer-SYMPHONY NO.5 THE LARK ASCENDING,A PASTORAL SYMPHONY NO.3 OBOE CONCERTO,NORFOLK RHAPSODY others I can't think of at this moment. (I SHALL RETURN!) Just wanted to add ,my interest in classicalmusic started with my favorite cartoon characters "PEANUTS" on one of there specials Schroeder played BEETHOVENS MOON LIGHT PATHETIQUE. Oh on same note love the soft piano jazz from VINCE GUARALDI CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS . NOW Theres a classic !!!

Tchaikovsky and Vivaldi are my favorite. Tchaikovsky for the waltzes and Vivaldi for the light mood he creates. I also will listen to anything that that features the harpsichord - my favorite classical instrument.

Archived