The non-famous "Zamboni14" has arrived!

Zamboni14

I say "non-famous" because I actually use this same handle in EVERY forum I belong to (mostly hockey forums.. thus the use of Zamboni and #14 was my first jersey number.)

ok so a little bit of my story and Rush..

Stage 1; The early 90's.. the beginning

Just like a lot of people my age, my gateway to Rush was due to their hits like TS, TSoR, Limelight, etc. But that only put them in the "classic rock" section of my music collection.. not really getting "new" stuff, but listening to only "the hits." Then the local radio station played the newest single from Rush... Dreamline. Back then, "singles" were being phased out on cassette (and I didn't start investing into CD's yet.) So I purchased Roll the Bones simply for the song "Dreamline." From there, I started listening to whole albums by Rush.. but again, mostly just the albums that the big hits came from. So my collection was just Roll the Bones, Moving Pictures, Perm. Waves.

A few years pass, and Counterparts comes out along with the single "Stick it Out." Well that seems odd... it doesn't sound anything like Roll the Bones (I thought to myself) but I find it... almost as good... wait... just as good... no... better than Roll the Bones (those views changed over the span of months.) But I still didn't like them enough to purchase a concert ticket, but I did own a couple more CD's (yes I did make that switch between Roll the Bones and Counterparts.) New to my collection was "Hold Your Fire" but I still had a long way to go!

Stage 2; alive when heard LIVE!

So I'm in college by now, still not fully engulfed by Rush (my favorite band during this time was Metallica... still pre-Load.) I actually had stopped listening to Rush (grew tired of listening to the same songs.. but still couldn't justify just picking up any other Rush CD without knowing anything about it.) So a college friend just happened to be at my place, and "Animate" came on my CD player (it was set to random and I had forgot it was even in my player.) He almost falls out of his chair in surprise... "you like Rush!?" So I told him I don't mind them.. they are "alright." He couldn't believe that I'd say that... so he told me that I haven't really experienced Rush yet and that he'd open the door for me because as luck would have it.. he had an extra ticket for their upcoming concert in support of "Test for Echo." No you didn't miss anything, and I didn't leave out purchasing TfE.. I really didn't own it or even realize they had put out a new album.

So I go to the concert, only knowing a small number of their catalog... and in retrospect, only about 1/3rd of the songs they played during that concert. Not only did the door open (for me) into the world of Rush... the door was ripped off its hinges and had flown across the galaxy. Suddenly I was hearing The Trees, Subdivisions and the epic song with only numbers... 2112!

Stage 3; becoming a "Rush-an" (ala- That Metal Show)

I get home from the concert and start to build my library (I had to re-purchase Hold Your Fire because I had actually sold it along with several other CDs because I was in dire need of cash... probably for beer.) So I slowly grow my library one disk at a time over time. Before I know it, I own them all (including live CDs.) I also attend the concerts when they come to town... and I bring my then girlfriend (now wife.) All the while, finding myself listing to Rush more and more... like a drug addict that doesn't realize they are doing 10x more drugs than when they first started.

I now always have 2 playlists for my iPod for only Rush songs... one playlist is "what am I in the mood for" and the other is "what's the setlist of the last concert/next concert."

Stage 4; the next stage

So in a couple weeks from this posting, my wife and I will be attending my 5th show (her 4th show) but with a new addition.. our first child will be attending its first concert before it's born! (We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet.. should know by Friday this week!)

So when some of you wonder why it is, that I like the recent albums more than the older stuff.. its because that is what helped bring me into this Rush world. It was my gateway, it was my "first," and it's what my earliest Rush memories are tied to.

Everything else about me... eh... you'll figure it out sooner or later when I am drunk posting some night

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 14 2012, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (Zamboni14 @ Sep 13 2012, 10:37 AM)
I'm sure it will be slow... which pisses me off since my favorite team (Wild) FINALLY have a good stock of players to cheer for!

A Wild fan, eh? I cheer for the Canucks (and Leafs) so I'm sure we'll get along just fine. yes.gif tongue.gif

hang on... I need a drink before posting... trink38.gif ahhhhh... so a 'Nucks fan, huh?

well not to worry, I don't "hate" the Nucks as much as the Minnesota media likes to hype it up. I actually like several players on the 'Nucks (I really hope Schroeder pans out... I watched him as an 8th grader make seniors in high school look like mites with his ability!) I'm more of a "hockey" fan before any 1 team... (prime example is the US/Canada gold medal game a few years ago... simply AWESOME game... even if my team/country lost.)

Anyways, I actually own a 'Nucks jersey from back in the WCE days (big Naslund fan.)

My other favorite NHL team is the Pens (so yes I am a Crosby fan by default.)

The Leafs... eh... don't hate or love 'em.