iPhone 5 announced

The Owl

Following IGN's live blog of the iPhone 5 right now... no release date and price point yet... but by the time most of you read this all that info will be in here...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/12/the...-event-liveblog

(Edit to add, the release date to the subtitle of the thread, Sept 21st)

Edited by The Owl

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until they settle the patent dispute with Samsung the phone cannot be released/sold. Could be a long wait. Buy Android.

It sounds like the camera is finally usable for decent pictures under non-optimal lighting conditions! It's about time. Maybe more people should make competitive phones as it will force Apple to catch up to the market.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 13 2012, 01:13 PM)
Until they settle the patent dispute with Samsung the phone cannot be released/sold. Could be a long wait. Buy Android.

It's on sale in less than two weeks. Not sure I understand your post.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 13 2012, 05:24 PM)

Both HTC and Samsung hold patents on the LTE technology the new iPhone uses. They are both in court now threatening to stop the launch of the phone, and the judge is considering it. Very little time to pull this off but it's highly possible.

Tons of news articles about this all over the place.

goodpost.gif

edit: Android is the future.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 14 2012, 12:44 PM)

Both HTC and Samsung hold patents on the LTE technology the new iPhone uses. They are both in court now threatening to stop the launch of the phone, and the judge is considering it. Very little time to pull this off but it's highly possible.

What about the big case Apple just won against Samsung? Where does that figure into this?

The ink is barely dry on reports from Apple and Samsung's $1.05 billion dollar lawsuit, but both companies are amassing more patents in anticipation of future lawsuits related to LTE technology. The Korean Intellectual Property Office notes that Apple has increased its total number of LTE patents from 0 in 2011 to 318 today, most of which were acquired as a member of a group that bought Nortel's patents. Samsung has 819 LTE-related patents, a strong advantage that is expected to lead to more lawsuits if Apple announces a new LTE-capable iPhone later today.

Apple and Samsung have been involved in numerous lawsuits related to software and hardware patents, with each company accusing the other of using its intellectual property without permission. The two sides are involved in more than 50 lawsuits in 10 countries, and LTE will likely increase that number to at least 51. Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung CEO Kwon Oh Hyun have attempted to negotiate a truce since Apple's recent $1.05 billion victory in a U.S. court, but the rivals have been unable to reach agreeable terms. Samsung may use its leading LTE patent holdings to gain leverage against Apple in future negotiations or court proceedings.

It is unknown how many of Samsung's 819 LTE patents are industry-standard patents. Standard patents must be licensed at fair, reasonable, and nondiscriminatory rates, so any FRAND patents that Samsung hold would provide little to no leverage in its ongoing battle with Apple.

Not a big deal, and no mention of the iPhone launch being delayed.

Source

only stories I've heard lately are the opposite, re: Apple winning the infringement suit.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 14 2012, 08:55 PM)

only stories I've heard lately are the opposite, re: Apple winning the infringement suit.

There are several different issues. Apple won ne lawsuit, but there are others involving LTE.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 14 2012, 11:47 AM)

goodpost.gif

Android OS may be nice, but I still have never seen a Droid product that matches the overall quality of an Apple product.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:26 PM)

goodpost.gif

Android OS may be nice, but I still have never seen a Droid product that matches the overall quality of an Apple product.

I've owned both and have to agree. I understand the reasoning that the Android OS is superior but the actual product is a difference. I had the HTC Incredible and my wife still has Droid X and they both had lots of instances of getting locked up that only taking the thing apart and removing the battery corrected. Their batteries also lost most of their charging power in about 12 months. I've had a 4s since October and it works just as well today as day 1. The differences in speed between my phone and newer androids is just not significant enough to make me want to switch back.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 16 2012, 10:26 AM)

goodpost.gif

Have you seen either the s3 or Galaxy Nexus?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 17 2012, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 16 2012, 10:26 AM)

goodpost.gif

Have you seen either the s3 or Galaxy Nexus?

Just checked out the Nexus tablet. iPad still whomps that tablet with its tech specs, and the 7" display is no match for the 10" retina display on the iPad. I'd totally spring for a Nexus, if I could in no way ever afford an iPad.

PRE-ORDERED MINE TODAY BITCHES.

In general.. i love my droid, but i'm ready for a fresh start.

I have the ORIGINAL Galaxy S.. it's showing its age.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Sep 19 2012, 06:27 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 18 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (default236 @ Sep 18 2012, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus @ Sep 18 2012, 08:59 AM)
user posted image

drool1.gif yes.gif

I'd bang all three upgrades

For your sake i sure hope that first upgrade is legal ohmy.gif

Otherwise he'd have to jailbreak...

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:26 PM)

goodpost.gif

Is that why I see so many iPhones with smashed glass? tongue.gif