iPhone 5 announced

The Owl

Anyone update to iOS 6? It's horrible. Thankfully I can downgrade my model at any time. When my phone finally kicks the bucket I'm switching to Android. I guess Steve Jobs was the only person in the company with half a mind on quality improvements.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Amy Farrah Fowler @ Sep 20 2012, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 14 2012, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 13 2012, 01:13 PM)
Until they settle the patent dispute with Samsung the phone cannot be released/sold. Could be a long wait. Buy Android.

goodpost.gif

edit: Android is the future.

Android OS may be nice, but I still have never seen a Droid product that matches the overall quality of an Apple product.

Is that why I see so many iPhones with smashed glass? tongue.gif

That's the fault of the owners, not Apple. If they took care of their devices, their screens wouldn't be smashed smile.gif

I've had several Apple devices. Actually...I STILL have several Apple devices. All with pristine displays.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 21 2012, 09:57 AM)
Anyone update to iOS 6? It's horrible. Thankfully I can downgrade my model at any time. When my phone finally kicks the bucket I'm switching to Android. I guess Steve Jobs was the only person in the company with half a mind on quality improvements.

I upgraded to iOS 6 on my iPad. One thing I like is the redesigned store. However, I don't like the new Apple-designed maps. Google had WAY more information on their maps than Apple bothered to put on their's. Thumbs down for the maps, thumbs up for the stores.

Other than that, I don't see how it's much different from iOS 5. I certainly expected more out of it, but I wouldn't call it horrible. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 21 2012, 01:18 PM)
QUOTE (Amy Farrah Fowler @ Sep 20 2012, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 16 2012, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 14 2012, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 13 2012, 01:13 PM)
Until they settle the patent dispute with Samsung the phone cannot be released/sold. Could be a long wait. Buy Android.

goodpost.gif

edit: Android is the future.

Android OS may be nice, but I still have never seen a Droid product that matches the overall quality of an Apple product.

Is that why I see so many iPhones with smashed glass? tongue.gif

That's the fault of the owners, not Apple. If they took care of their devices, their screens wouldn't be smashed smile.gif

I've had several Apple devices. Actually...I STILL have several Apple devices. All with pristine displays.

Meh...I've dropped phones many times and never shattered any screens. I'd venture to guess it's quite simple to shatter an iPhone screen. I've never seen anyone with a shattered screen other than an iPhone user.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 21 2012, 01:20 PM)

I upgraded to iOS 6 on my iPad. One thing I like is the redesigned store. However, I don't like the new Apple-designed maps. Google had WAY more information on their maps than Apple bothered to put on their's. Thumbs down for the maps, thumbs up for the stores.

Other than that, I don't see how it's much different from iOS 5. I certainly expected more out of it, but I wouldn't call it horrible. confused13.gif

The new maps is bad enough to trip Apple up. Dumb decisions like this make it hard to recommend. It's difficult to understand how anyone could justify releasing that turd. A company like that is prime ground for groupthink which is a killer.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 21 2012, 08:45 PM)

The new maps is bad enough to trip Apple up. Dumb decisions like this make it hard to recommend. It's difficult to understand how anyone could justify releasing that turd. A company like that is prime ground for groupthink which is a killer.

With google maps it was so much nicer. We were able to see all the local businesses marked out on the map, and it was always updated when new data was published to google. I loved it, now I feel ripped off.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 22 2012, 03:28 AM)

With google maps it was so much nicer. We were able to see all the local businesses marked out on the map, and it was always updated when new data was published to google. I loved it, now I feel ripped off.

Just use Google Earth...

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 21 2012, 10:28 PM)

Yeah, I'm actually quite dependant on the maps app when I go into the city via public transit. Now apple just ruined that by telling google (the current king of getting you from here to there) to take a hike and replacing it with some half baked app. Good thing the i4 is downgradable. I feel bad for anyone with a 4s who updated.

That's not the only problem. The i4 is more than capable of handling just about every feature on iOS 6 (there are hacks showing siri working, there are panorama apps available for free, etc) and yet apple restricts these features. That's absolute BS.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 21 2012, 08:57 AM)

I hate how they got rid of YouTube now I have to resort to using the crappy youtube app. I mean really, when was the last time I used Compass or Reminders. unsure.gif I really wished they kept the good built in apps.

QUOTE (default236 @ Sep 22 2012, 01:13 PM)

I hate how they got rid of YouTube now I have to resort to using the crappy youtube app. I mean really, when was the last time I used Compass or Reminders. unsure.gif I really wished they kept the good built in apps.

They just cut any app having to do with Google because of the whole Apple Android "rivalry" bullshit. It's ridiculous.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 23 2012, 01:35 AM)

They just cut any app having to do with Google because of the whole Apple Android "rivalry" bullshit. It's ridiculous.

I love the official reason: "Before, we couldn't update the youtube or maps apps. Now since we're making them optional downloads, they can be updated."

The official statement is something to that effect. While the youtube app was missing a few features, the two apps were pretty well perfect as is. I wonder how many people they fooled with that? laugh.gif

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 23 2012, 02:01 PM)

I love the official reason: "Before, we couldn't update the youtube or maps apps. Now since we're making them optional downloads, they can be updated."

The official statement is something to that effect. While the youtube app was missing a few features, the two apps were pretty well perfect as is. I wonder how many people they fooled with that? laugh.gif

They're optional downloads? I couldn't find em...

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 23 2012, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 23 2012, 02:01 PM)

They're optional downloads? I couldn't find em...

They aren't optional yet, but if you look Google already has a few apps available. They'll probably submit the apps in the app store. Give it time.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 23 2012, 07:52 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMsLArefSOw

laugh.gif I really hope she was screwing around. One day I'm going to go to a midnight everyone is waiting for and just buy a chocolate bar or some meaningless accessory before asking what the huge line is for.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 24 2012, 07:44 PM)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57516638...or-ios-devices/

Wow. She is really informed. What a smart consumer and tech savvy individual.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 28 2012, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 28 2012, 09:55 AM)
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/28/tim-cook-...e-alternatives/

Don't think this would have happened with Jobs. He would have put product before a pissing match with Goggle.

Absolutely. Jobs always had the idea of "if you're going to take something away, replace it with something better". The iPhone always had something that made it worthy of being a successor. It just happened to be that when jobs had a limited role due to cancer and later that the iPhone line became much more about milking customers and forcing them to upgrade by dropping features/support for older models which are still comparable to the newer ones. If jobs were still in charge this BS would not be happining.