Terrible Terrible Terrible

rayrushray

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get to the show late and can't get to your seat before the music starts it is either the venue or YOU. Arriving late can spoil the experience. When seeing Rush go early and go often.

I've just accepted the fact that there are going to be complainers every time. I bitched about the sound and seating on my second Time Machine show. The seating issue was my fault. The sound issue was the venue and the crew. My guess is that Rush or most any other band would never want you to have a bad experience.

If you don't like the songs go see someone else.

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 12 2012, 05:08 AM)
I think his point is had the setlist been different from what it is those seats wouldn't have been empty and he wouldn't have had to miss any songs.

Hard to argue with that.

Only the true diehards with lots of cash in this economy are willing to pay for a setlist such as this.

It's going to be expected that a setlist of this nature is not going to be liked by people who have scraped all they scrape just to get in the building expecting to get trademark Rush.

Going to larger venues for this tour while playing almost all synth era songs feels to me like a miscalculation but then again this band has a history of turning miscalculations into pure gold,maybe that will happen again,we shall see.

All due respect, it's very easy to argue, actually.

Only die hard concert goers and/or fans in general are going to check out set lists ahead of time, read on-line reviews, etc. Rush has a lot of casual fans in the sense of people who aren't heavily active in the online community as such. And for all intents and purposes, it's WAY too early in the tour for "news to have spread" about the set list, *especially* considering that we're 3 shows in, with 3 different set lists.

So to say that the set list is accounting for low ticket sales borders on absurd, IMO, since there hasn't been any time for it to be proven. If it is proven to be true, well OK then (a shame, IMNSHO), but at the moment we can't blame the set list for anything.

(FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN BLOWING MY FREAKING MIND!!!! tongue.gif )

As for the OP complaining about missing songs, well, this goes back to something I said in my original reply: the timing issue. Show was scheduled for 7:30. I'd say the boys didn't start till 7:40 (maybe a touch later). My group got in around 7 or so. We got the upgrade around 7:10 or so... and that was only b/c some of us were standing in line looking at merch. The actual upgrade business was near immediate, and a few feet away. We were in our seats by 7:15, and back by 7:30 after going to the bathroom, actually getting merch, etc.

So for the OP to have missed two songs, it indicates that HE WAS LATE FOR A SHOW THAT ITSELF STARTED LATE. That's all on him. Don't complain to others if you can't get yourself there on time.*

*I realize that everyone has different schedules. But the new arena is laid out such that it's extremely open at the point of convergence, so no matter what entrance you used, the upgrade section was RIGHT THERE by the main funnel upstairs. Any delay the OP experienced was the result of trying to compete with everyone else who decided to make a mad dash right before showtime. That's not anyone's fault but his own.

Edited by zappafrank

First off, at 6'2, I'm probably too tall to be considered a Troll, even though my kids loved this insult of me and will probably refer to me as such for years to come.

It is true, I'm new to the forum, but in no way am I new to Rush.

I've probably seen Rush 30 times over 35 years, but I can't recall an exact number at this time because I've taken a number of head shots from two young "ruffians" who cruise around my house looking for ways to injure their father......

In any event, I guess most of my review from last night has stirred the pot of anger here on the forum, and in retrospect, I apologize for being so blunt.

The Disappointed looks on your kids faces will push you to say and do things you can never Imagine.

After seeing so many shows over so many years, I never expected such a boring and lacking evening from the boys.......but I guess everyone sees it the way they want to see it.

I'm sorry to have offended everyone with...........MY OPINION......but MY OPINION STANDS.........the show was a weak effort....and don't carry much expectation going to see it.

Can't please everyone all the time. But really--the band made it no secret that they'd be putting a lot of CA songs in the set. Complaining that they're forcing new material down the audience's throats is like complaining that the new album had new songs on it. Just plain stupidity. I have no problem with people being underwhelmed by the new material, but you shouldn't have bought tix expecting them to just play another "best of" show to support a brand new album. And if you got a lackluster show that night, maybe it was bad luck. Not every show is "magical," as Neil has put it. They try to put on a great show every night, but sometimes it just doesn't come together well for any one of a number of reasons.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 12 2012, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Sep 12 2012, 12:20 AM)
Funny your review is the total opposite of everybody else who has seen a show so far.

Untrue- I watched part of the show on YouTube and was glad I saved my time for something worthwhile.

such as confused13.gif

It's interesting how folks (at the same show) have different perspectives. I think a lot has to do with where you're sitting/standing and they people around you. I've never considered Rush shows to be "spectacular". Yeah, they have some cool lights and props, but I really don't get much out of all that. I just like to see them play.

Regarding the setlist, it's obvious the band is trying to please the hard core fans this time around. It lacks many hits that tend to draw casual Rush fans - Freewill, CTTH, Limelight, etc. This, along with a sluggish economy and the fact that they've been touring regularly for years, will definitely contribute to lower ticket sales. Being hard core myself, I would rather they play some of their back catalog anyway. Unfortunately not every song can be resurected for a variety of reasons. Obviously that is the case for Jacobs Ladder. I can certainly appreciate that. If they can't do it justice for whatever reason, they shouldn't play it.

QUOTE (rayrushray @ Sep 12 2012, 08:16 AM)
First off, at 6'2, I'm probably too tall to be considered a Troll, even though my kids loved this insult of me and will probably refer to me as such for years to come.

It is true, I'm new to the forum, but in no way am I new to Rush.

I've probably seen Rush 30 times over 35 years, but I can't recall an exact number at this time because I've taken a number of head shots from two young "ruffians" who cruise around my house looking for ways to injure their father......

In any event, I guess most of my review from last night has stirred the pot of anger here on the forum, and in retrospect, I apologize for being so blunt.

The Disappointed looks on your kids faces will push you to say and do things you can never Imagine.

After seeing so many shows over so many years, I never expected such a boring and lacking evening from the boys.......but I guess everyone sees it the way they want to see it.

I'm sorry to have offended everyone with...........MY OPINION......but MY OPINION STANDS.........the show was a weak effort....and don't carry much expectation going to see it.

I wasnt offended, and i appreciate your "bluntness". Watched the opening night setlist come out by the many posters at the show, and grew more mortified at every lame PW, and GUP song that kept popping up, Body Electric? are you friggin kidding me! Had hopes they would save the show with the second set until those odes to air guitar, and drums red sector a, and manhatten project appeared meh! Im going to the Tampa show and its always packed here but there is no way the crowds will be going bat sheet for this one like they did for the TM tour. All opinions should be respected and debated!

QUOTE (vital signz @ Sep 12 2012, 06:33 AM)
This board is filled with fans that like any and everything that the band does. I think that there are legions of fans out there that love the band and are critical of the band. That being said, I have close relationships with several 30 year plus fans that are baffled at the set list.

Will we forfeit our tix and our trip to see them? Hell no.

Are we amazed that we are seeing the Clockwork Angels/Power Windows Redux tour?

Absolutely.

I can totally relate to what the OP is trying to say.

When you go see a band of Rush's caliber touring after a new album you expect to see them play bunches of songs off of the new album and one or two off of other albums and the big hits off of Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. Since they just finished the Moving Pictures Re-Tour, it makes sense to go lightly on that.

But on the 30th anniversary of Signals, one doesn't expect the band to skip totally 10 albums (except 2112 on B set encore and Reggae Working Man which has been played to death) and see 5 songs from Power Windows and leave off songs that would have made a perfect strings tour like Losing It, Chemistry, the Chorus on Analog Kid, Countdown, ....wait am I suggesting songs celebrating the 30th of Signals????

also Jacobs Ladder...hinted by Alex now for the last three tours, also perfect with strings, nowhere to be seen.

SO....all of that being said, go ahead and flame away waffen093.gif but the truth is, there are lots of folks scratching their heads here. And for 25% of folks on a poll here not excited about the new set, a place where a lot of fan bois and gals hang out, in the real world there will be many more. Those who buy tickets out there to see them rock on tour the likes of Freewill, Natural Science, 2112, Xanadu, The Trees, The Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Red Barchetta, will be stumped.

I will be there because I am always there. I would go see them bang sticks and bricks together.

I know it will be a blast, but it seems weirdly thought out.

In this decade, the simple fact that we have these guys to see at all after nearly 40 years, we really need to be happy with anything that they put out, but we can ask questions and comments regarding their choices.

goodpost.gif Not a 'good post' - a GREAT post! You nailed PERFECTLY what myself and other Rush fans in my sphere are saying. Well done!!

Not to sound trite, but the setlist is a problem, nothing else. Its the older music that made them who they are, not the newer crap. The setlist should be comprised of no more than 20% or less of the newer material. Then the poor song choice for the older material. Complete and utter logic fail on their part.

I already said it somewhere else, but I've seen them 17 times before and seen all those hits pretty much every time. I'm actually happy to see a completely different set for a change. I saw Time Machine twice, I don't need to see all those songs live for the 18th time in a row. Some people like eating the same meal three times a day for their entire life, and that's OK. Everyone's entitled to their tastes. I like some variety every now and then. Makes life more interesting for me.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 12 2012, 08:59 AM)
Not to sound trite, but the setlist is a problem, nothing else. Its the older music that made them who they are, not the newer crap. The setlist should be comprised of no more than 20% or less of the newer material. Then the poor song choice for the older material. Complete and utter logic fail on their part.

I diagree Moosebreath, The new stuff is not crap. 2.gif

QUOTE (toyzshopmike @ Sep 12 2012, 12:50 AM)
rayrushray.... are you smokin` crack or something else...
I really don`t F`n get it, some peps on here BLAME the setlist on everything... Guess what peeeps there is no money in North America do you get it NONE NADA.... The album is and has sold great $20 bucks a pop yes awesome album but guess what people just can not afford to go to a concert at $150 a pop... I am a HUGE NHRA drag racing fan and guess what... those damn stands are empty too.... I can show you videos of 10 years ago and show you the same race last weekend.... it was bizzare nobody was in the stands just the same as the last 2 NHRA seasons... North America is fk`d right now and we are all paying the price including RUSH!!!! so get off screwing the guys over and get on with your life if you cant handle the current situation.... But don`t come on this board flaming the guys for something they have no control over because you don`t like their setlist!
MIKE

$20 bucks ??? I paid $10 laugh.gif

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Sep 12 2012, 09:05 AM)
I already said it somewhere else, but I've seen them 17 times before and seen all those hits pretty much every time. I'm actually happy to see a completely different set for a change. I saw Time Machine twice, I don't need to see all those songs live for the 18th time in a row. Some people like eating the same meal three times a day for their entire life, and that's OK. Everyone's entitled to their tastes. I like some variety every now and then. Makes life more interesting for me.

Sure, I totally agree that variety is nice, but look at their voluminous catalog of older (pre-'93 material). They have an abundance of choices that haven't been historical staples.

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Sep 12 2012, 09:05 AM)

Agree. yes.gif

I think Charles Barkley started this thread: Turrrible, jes Turrrible.

... and every on this tour except for Far Cry & the new album are ALL from before '93. And the abundance of those songs are not staples. So it sounds like you're complaining that they did exactly what you think they should do with the setlist?

QUOTE (chemistry @ Sep 12 2012, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (toyzshopmike @ Sep 12 2012, 12:50 AM)
rayrushray.... are you smokin` crack or something else...
I really don`t F`n get it, some peps on here BLAME the setlist on everything... Guess what peeeps there is no money in North America do you get it NONE NADA.... The album is and has sold great $20 bucks a pop yes awesome album but guess what people just can not afford to go to a concert at $150 a pop... I am a HUGE NHRA drag racing fan and guess what... those damn stands are empty too.... I can show you videos of 10 years ago and show you the same race last weekend.... it was bizzare nobody was in the stands just the same as the last 2 NHRA seasons... North America is fk`d right now and we are all paying the price including RUSH!!!! so get off screwing the guys over and get on with your life if you cant handle the current situation.... But don`t come on this board flaming the guys for something they have no control over because you don`t like their setlist!
MIKE

$20 bucks ??? I paid $10 laugh.gif

What cd today cost $20 I think I paid $11 What did he get the gold edition?

This is what happens when you go to a RUSH concert expecting only to hear Pre-Signals songs. I have to admit not having The Spirit of Radio, Limelight and Freewill in the setlist will cause some friction Regardless of what era RUSH you love.I know my kids will have a great time at the CA Tour since they love CA and I'll prepared them for the rest.

Sorry you had a bad experience at a RUSH concert. Maybe you'll have a better time at BIG TIME RUSH!

laugh.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 12 2012, 06:32 AM)
Sorry you had a bad experience at a RUSH concert. Maybe you'll have a better time at BIG TIME RUSH!

laugh.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif