Terrible Terrible Terrible

rayrushray

The memo is out and the Pittsburgh fans got it.

With an embarrassing curtain around all the unsold cheap seats and a terrible ushering system that forced me to stand in an unwanted line to get "better seats", I missed the first two songs because rush apparently weren't aware most of there fans were faced with this inconvenience.

If only I had refused the upgrade and went to the exits early.

The chances missed in life............sigh.

After going on a tepid run through rarities that left even their hard core fans a little stumped for an answer, the band thankfully adjourned for an intermission that allowed the bored and dreamy a chance to catch up on email.

The break allowed for me to scan the crowd: a good mix of dumbfounded older fans with deep wonder in their eyes and young kids who were mesmerized and taken in by a time machine last time out, only to be hoodwinked in to the current set, that had them hoping that Madonna or Culture Club might appear suddenly and save them from such lameness.

In the highly anticipated second set, the high paying customers were treated to a disorganized group of string players who looked good, and probably would have sounded better if the mixologist would have done his job with a bit more savvy.

As new song after new song was force-fed to the "High-Paying" customers, many in the crowd took extended breaks in the restroom, figuring rightly that security might be better company.

By the time the new songs were lodged in everyone's throats, some real hits were ready to roll.

Like Manhattan Project and Red Sector A....

HUH? What a joke.

To lull a sleepy crowd from their doldrums, a lazy, out of place and momentum lacking YYZ segued into an often repeated reggae version of a very tired Working Man.

Tom Sawyer appeared, without any true swagger, and 2112 was performed like it was a motion a band has to go through.

I can't tell you what the closing video contained, because when disgust sets in, it's better to exit and hope for a safe ride home.

Inconsiderate. Lazy. Thoughtless. Words That I never associated with Rush.

The set, the arrangement, the videos, all of it.

I saw it in the faces of the young and the faces of the old as they high-tailed for the doors, the momentum gained with the Time Machine Tour was lost on the Clockwork Angels Tour.

Spare me all the, "Rush has been around a long time, and they can do what they want"

Now that's whining...........

A set list like this could have been great, if only it would have been plotted instead of mailed in.

Return to Sender.

Bottom Line: This is a terrible show, go and see it at your own risk.

Of course, If insomnia plagues you, I think I have your cure.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever enthusiasm and good time you clearly never received must have found its way to me, b/c I enjoyed the hell out of this show.

And I am a hardcore fan, who had no questions whatsoever, and who cheered like hell at the start of every 80's song I've never heard them play live.

I also cheered at the awesome element the string section brought. Strings playing the main riff in YYZ? AWESOME!

And the upgrade took no time at all. We were in section 216 and were bumped to 105 in less than 5 min, if that, with plenty of time to find our seats, go to the bathroom, and stand in line and mull over the merch stand. If you were rushed (hah!) for time getting your upgrade, maybe you should allow for more time before the show starts.

Of course, YMMV. Personally speaking, I'm glad I got a lot out of mine.

Edited by zappafrank

Funny your review is the total opposite of everybody else who has seen a show so far. Crawl back in your hole and put those 70's Rush records on. They don't have to force feed me anything. All that CA material will go down really smooth because it's awesome.

rayrushray.... are you smokin` crack or something else...

I really don`t F`n get it, some peps on here BLAME the setlist on everything... Guess what peeeps there is no money in North America do you get it NONE NADA.... The album is and has sold great $20 bucks a pop yes awesome album but guess what people just can not afford to go to a concert at $150 a pop... I am a HUGE NHRA drag racing fan and guess what... those damn stands are empty too.... I can show you videos of 10 years ago and show you the same race last weekend.... it was bizzare nobody was in the stands just the same as the last 2 NHRA seasons... North America is fk`d right now and we are all paying the price including RUSH!!!! so get off screwing the guys over and get on with your life if you cant handle the current situation.... But don`t come on this board flaming the guys for something they have no control over because you don`t like their setlist!

MIKE

QUOTE (toyzshopmike @ Sep 12 2012, 12:50 AM)
I really don`t F`n get it, some peps on here BLAME the setlist on everything... Guess what peeeps there is no money in North America do you get it NONE NADA.... The album is and has sold great $20 bucks a pop yes awesome album but guess what people just can not afford to go to a concert at $150 a pop... I am a HUGE NHRA drag racing fan and guess what... those damn stands are empty too.... I can show you videos of 10 years ago and show you the same race last weekend.... it was bizzare nobody was in the stands just the same as the last 2 NHRA seasons... North America is fk`d right now and we are all paying the price including RUSH!!!! so get off screwing the guys over and get on with your life if you cant handle the current situation.... But don`t come on this board flaming the guys for something they have no control over because you don`t like their setlist!
MIKE

How about lower the prices and play some songs that most fans want to hear ?

Sir you are a ruffian and a scoundrel.

I also just got back from this show and i gotta be carefully about how much i say as i was thinking about making a tread related to my feeling about the show so I'll keep this simple and to the point.

BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not kidding. I had a blast. As a fan getting into the second decade of seeing ever tour i can truly say this was my favorite. Analog Kid was a joy, as well as where's my thing, as for Manhattan projects haters, this show turned me the live version had me jumping and the guitar part is stuck in my head and in there it shall stay for several days. I was not around for the 80s or early 90s shows, and this has allowed me to see the songs I never thought i would, and for that I'm great full, and so should you there pushing 60 give them a break.

As for prices, i admit it was a little under packed, but not nearly as much as you think it was. As for high paying customers, some of us who shell out the money to get better seats got them as gifts I got mine as a graduation present (11th or 12 row) or some might want to take there kids, yeah all seats are expensive, but look at what they give you.

if your blind and can't hear maybe i could expect your response otherwise I hope you take a chill pill i hear they come in suppository form.

bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 12 2012, 01:00 AM)
QUOTE (toyzshopmike @ Sep 12 2012, 12:50 AM)
MIKE

How about lower the prices and play some songs that most fans want to hear ?

According to a poll ON THIS FORUM, the vast majority of people like the setlist

So I am sorry sir but you are talking out of your ass on this one

Honesty, and opinions should be welcomed here, after all it is a forum. These things are to be expected. But to come on here and write a lengthy and wordy essay about a bad experience that you may have had in plain view of some of the bands biggest fans is bound to be met with harsh reactions. I understand that some fans aren't going to like the set list no matter what they play, that is a mathematical certainty. But the problems with the ticket upgrades etc. is the venue's problem in my eyes, it has little or nothing to do with the band. I have been to 13 Rush shows and have not always liked the set lists completely. My first tour was Counterparts in 1994 and have seen them at least once on every tour since. My favorite set lists have been Test For Echo, and the R30 Tours. I'm sure not everyone would agree with that, but that's fine. The set list on this tour may be even better than those. I know what the set list is for this tour but I have to see the show for myself before forming an opinion. I will find out in Chicago on Saturday night. I do know that I will be in good company with family, friends and fellow Rush fans. As far as my opinions go, if mine is negative (which I doubt) I will not openly complain and bash the band. I probably wouldn't say anything at all because I know it won't sit well with most on the forum, but if I did post something negative, I would probably say I didn't enjoy the show for whatever reason but at the same time still be glad that I had the opportunity to see the band. Simple, direct and to the point without offending those who did enjoy the show.

No hard feelings or offense to anyone. Just putting my opinion out there

-JRS-

OK....I haven't been to a show on this tour yet, (not until Nov. for me)...but I thought that was a damn good review. He clearly didn't like the show and wasn't impressed by any of the evening.

Not everyone is as manic about the band as those of us on TRF...most I would guess. And most aren't as familiar with the songs on this tour as us here.

I thought it was well written. Very to the point with little distraction. He listed all of his grievances clearly and concisely. I can easily see how there would be scores of fans who will feel the same way.

I can't say I agree with it, but was one of the best reviews I've ever read.

Keep on bitching, folks. I loved the Bristow show so much that my son and I are taking a road trip to the Philly show next month. You "older fans" feel free to leave in droves....it's making for great pickings for me in Stub Hub.

Look i don't care about the setlist really I'm gonna go enjoy the show either way.

But i do think that dissenting voices should be allowed to speak without ridicule,even though there are some who just want to hate for hates sake.

But to say that his seating issue has nothing to do with the band and is the venues issue is only part true really.

I think his point is had the setlist been different from what it is those seats wouldn't have been empty and he wouldn't have had to miss any songs.

Hard to argue with that.

Only the true diehards with lots of cash in this economy are willing to pay for a setlist such as this.

If the band is fine with this then I say more power to them.

I think the setlist is great because it's a complete thought start to finish thematically.

It's going to be expected that a setlist of this nature is not going to be liked by people who have scraped all they scrape just to get in the building expecting to get trademark Rush.

Believe it or not the guys in Rush are human. they are prone to missteps and mistakes as much as anybody and I think this setlist may be a miscalculation in the current economy and i doubt we will see a repeat of this next year for leg 2 but i could be wrong.

Going to larger venues for this tour while playing almost all synth era songs feels to me like a miscalculation but then again this band has a history of turning miscalculations into pure gold,maybe that will happen again,we shall see.

Edited by dayglow76

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Sep 12 2012, 02:50 AM)
OK....I haven't been to a show on this tour yet, (not until Nov. for me)...but I thought that was a damn good review. He clearly didn't like the show and wasn't impressed by any of the evening.

Not everyone is as manic about the band as those of us on TRF...most I would guess. And most aren't as familiar with the songs on this tour as us here.

I thought it was well written. Very to the point with little distraction. He listed all of his grievances clearly and concisely. I can easily see how there would be scores of fans who will feel the same way.

I can't say I agree with it, but was one of the best reviews I've ever read.

It was not a good review. It was too biased. You can say what you want about the setlist but if you are going to say that the production of the show is "lazy" then anyone is just plain wrong. This is a topnotch light show and production.

This rayrush is a troll. 4 posts total? Come on. To easy to see.

This board is filled with fans that like any and everything that the band does. I think that there are legions of fans out there that love the band and are critical of the band. That being said, I have close relationships with several 30 year plus fans that are baffled at the set list.

Will we forfeit our tix and our trip to see them? Hell no.

Are we amazed that we are seeing the Clockwork Angels/Power Windows Redux tour?

Absolutely.

I can totally relate to what the OP is trying to say.

When you go see a band of Rush's caliber touring after a new album you expect to see them play bunches of songs off of the new album and one or two off of other albums and the big hits off of Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. Since they just finished the Moving Pictures Re-Tour, it makes sense to go lightly on that.

But on the 30th anniversary of Signals, one doesn't expect the band to skip totally 10 albums (except 2112 on B set encore and Reggae Working Man which has been played to death) and see 5 songs from Power Windows and leave off songs that would have made a perfect strings tour like Losing It, Chemistry, the Chorus on Analog Kid, Countdown, ....wait am I suggesting songs celebrating the 30th of Signals????

also Jacobs Ladder...hinted by Alex now for the last three tours, also perfect with strings, nowhere to be seen.

SO....all of that being said, go ahead and flame away waffen093.gif but the truth is, there are lots of folks scratching their heads here. And for 25% of folks on a poll here not excited about the new set, a place where a lot of fan bois and gals hang out, in the real world there will be many more. Those who buy tickets out there to see them rock on tour the likes of Freewill, Natural Science, 2112, Xanadu, The Trees, The Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Red Barchetta, will be stumped.

I will be there because I am always there. I would go see them bang sticks and bricks together.

I know it will be a blast, but it seems weirdly thought out.

In this decade, the simple fact that we have these guys to see at all after nearly 40 years, we really need to be happy with anything that they put out, but we can ask questions and comments regarding their choices.

Edited by vital signz

I enjoyed this guy's review, was interesting, and yes, subjectively biased, but not anymore biased than some drones on the board who think Rush can do no wrong.

I saw them in DC and he was spot on regarding the second set. While theres no doubt they could've played some older stuff in the first set, I'll disgree with its quality, as I found it very enjoyable- it was an eclectic, unexpected mix of songs.

On Rush being "selfish": I wouldnt go that far, but with setlists, in my opinion, it doesnt seem like they put the fans first. They do what is satisfying to them (even see R30 with those terrible cover songs). Theres nothing wrong with this of course..

Edited by greg2112