Michael Chabon

Territorial_Game

Did a couple searches for him on here and didn't get any hits, so I figured I'd start a thread about this great author! I read Kavalier & Clay, Yiddish Policemen's Union, and Mysteries of Pittsburgh this summer and really loved them. The man knows how to write! Looking forward to picking up Telegraph Avenue tomorrow! Any other fans here?

I have been a comic book fan and even worked on some independent comics in the 1990s so I was eager to read The Adventures Of Kavalier & Clay. Chabon got it so right in tone and language. I would love to meet him and let him know that as a life long appreciator of the art form that I very much enjoyed that book. Highly recommended. It tackles so many subjects: arts, gay issues, war, immigration, Jews in the New World. It covers many early 20th Century themes. Oh my how I wish Neil Peart had made a friend of him and got him to write Clockwork Angels. A better book we might have had.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 12 2012, 09:47 PM)
I have been a comic book fan and even worked on some independent comics in the 1990s so I was eager to read The Adventures Of Kavalier & Clay. Chabon got it so right in tone and language. I would love to meet him and let him know that as a life long appreciator of the art form that I very much enjoyed that book. Highly recommended. It tackles so many subjects: arts, gay issues, war, immigration, Jews in the New World. It covers many early 20th Century themes. Oh my how I wish Neil Peart had made a friend of him and got him to write Clockwork Angels. A better book we might have had.

That would have been a real treat!! Oh well, I guess we can dream.

Chabon is great! Wonder Boys and Mysteries of Pittsburgh especially! His characters are fantastic. Edited by kkdalloway

I read "Mysteries of Pittsburgh" way back when it was his first and only novel, and I really enjoyed it. I've also read some of Chabon's short stories. I really ought to give Kavalier & Clay my full attention; it won the Pulitzer and it's his magnum opus.