Rush burns us again

tullfan

QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 9 2012, 06:23 PM)
Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

Hey, I'm curious how you feel about the Tull setlist this time around.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 9 2012, 09:28 PM)
OK, Ill say it, Im the biggest Rush fan here. Yes I am, dont even try it. I like all the albums in one way or another. And Im here to tell you, its possible to criticize the setlist as not being good without getting lambasted. You think Bravado is just as good as hearing La Villa, Natural Science or Limelight. More power to you. But I think people, real Rush fans, can say the setlist sucks.

Rant on pause smile.gif

I think the list is a pretty good balance of songs for fans that haven't been played in years and songs they enjoy.

Me? Any setlist without RTB is a home-run!

QUOTE (tim2112 @ Sep 9 2012, 10:30 PM)
i really dont get u guys who complain about what they play. Cmon their rush,after almost 40 years of playing together ,giving us the most outstanding music, u cant expect them to play everything everyone likes.Lets b grateful their still playing,puting out great new music. i think its a great setlist, and i cant wait to see their wesern canadian swing.Lets not complain, and embress what is the best band ever,after all this could very well be their last tour,and then what are you going to complain about

One can be grateful theyve come around and still complain about Dreamline vs. Limelight. We'd like to hear their best stuff. Or deep cuts they've never played. Or something from Counterparts or VT rather than a Power Windows party.

QUOTE (Animate @ Sep 9 2012, 04:47 PM)
Here's the deal. The band did put out something for those of us that are hardcore 70's Rush fans: Get ready!! They put out an amazing brand new album called Clockwork Angels! An album that, while modern, is more than a little throwback to a hard rock and progressive rock style! No, the vocals are not up to par with 70's Geddy, but nothing ever will be ever.

Rush played Moving Pictures ENTIRELY on the last tour! Now, they have a tour that is 1/2 a new hard rock album and 1/2 paying homage to the synth era and all anyone can do is b&tch about it.

GREAT post man. You summed it up for me very completely. trink39.gif

Neil is not fond of the 70's material either. He said on the doc that he feels Rush was born with Moving Pictures. New album they love + not a whole lot of appreciation for their 70's output + absolutely insane high vocals + lyrics that they may not relate to anymore = Not a lot 70's material being played over the years. I dont think it's just the vocals i think there's even more reasons they chose not to play em. They do however play 70's material from time to time

70's material they have played since the 90's:

The Trees

Xanadu

Finding my Way teaser

Anthem teaser

Cygnus x-1 teaser

Complete 2112

Circumstances

Working Man

A Passage to Bangkok

Closer to the Heart

Bytor and the Snowdog

La Villa

Hemispheres prelude

plus the r30 overture teasers

Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

moon.gif

QUOTE (tim2112 @ Sep 9 2012, 09:50 PM)
all i have o say is just be grateful their still playing, putting out a great album,and sounding great after all these years. because it will end my friends,and then what will you complain about.

I'll complain how they squandered their twilight years on right-click-and-paste prefabricated, forced-together, incompatible blocks of poorly-structured/directionless music.

Edited by GeminiRising79

I am very happy with the 80s-heavy setlist. I love the 70s material too, but this current setlist is much easier on Ged's voice and they seem to have picked many of my favorite songs.

So moon.gif

Glad you're not going to the show, I don't wanna be around some crotchety old fart screaming for them to play Hemispheres all night anyways

QUOTE (bathory @ Sep 9 2012, 09:54 PM)

moon.gif

Cut him some slack. He just broke his 8-track of Hemispheres, and he's pissed!

laugh.gif

Headlong Flight alone will be worth the price of admission for me. Especially later in the tour when they're a well-oiled machine. I think it's refreshing to see some stuff they haven't played out in a while. I still wish they would've included Digital Man, but to paraphrase Venom, they can't do 20 albums in the space of a 3 hour show. Can't please everybody all the time.

QUOTE (zac2112 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (ZachenFoot @ Sep 9 2012, 07:18 PM)
I think it's miles ahead of the TMT setlist. Wow. I remember wanting to go in surprised since I was the fourth stop of the tour. Big mistake; Moving Pictures saved that show, but the entire first set was so bland and uninteresting to me, save Marathon.

I like everything about this set save for a couple minor shortcomings, but hey, it'll never be perfect.

couldnt disagree with your analysis more, liked the TM set list very much, good variety, different eras etc. But its what a fan forum is all about, discussions, debates its all good. I think its fine if someone wants to come on here and say CA set sucks! in fact i tend to agree but im still going to go, ill still have a blast, and hope i leave the show feeling differently! Hell ill still burn one with the nerds who think power windows is good Rush! Well maybe smile.gif

I agree with zac2112. I thoroughly enjoyed Time Stand Still and Presto which are two of my favorites from the 80's. That doesn't mean I am criticizng this set list at all. Also, there is a 50% chance of someone not getting The Spirit of Radio which is sad.

QUOTE (ZachenFoot @ Sep 9 2012, 08:18 PM)
I think it's miles ahead of the TMT setlist. Wow. I remember wanting to go in surprised since I was the fourth stop of the tour. Big mistake; Moving Pictures saved that show, but the entire first set was so bland and uninteresting to me, save Marathon.

I like everything about this set save for a couple minor shortcomings, but hey, it'll never be perfect.

I agree

But if the OP doesn't want to go to any shows this tour, then don't go...no big deal.

I still give Geddy points for Free Will : "Each of us...a cell of awareness..."

on the last tours.

From 1st and 8th row Geddy's side 2008, 1st row Alex's side at the Gorge last year and I will say that I saw him spit it out and crank his right arm up to hit the notes!!!

I love the body english of cranking the non-fretted arm to WAIL that note, like the end of Far Cry, Free Will.

Gosh...remember By-Tor in VT 2002 people????

We were 1st row again Vancouver, Geddy belted it out to his best.

(There is a great bootleg of that show)

So, cmon, there have been tons of oldies brought back.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 9 2012, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Sep 9 2012, 06:28 PM)
Please cry a little more about it.

Plenty of us fans like this set list, and many of us are also huge fans of the 70s stuff, but we have the sense to realize that they are mixing it up from tour to tour, and on this tour, they are featuring the synth era heavily for the first time since, well, the synth era.  Don't like it, don't go.  Oh, you already said you aren't going.  Okay, cool.  Bye.

they are featuring the synth era basically because geddy can't handle anything else vocally. you either like it or you don't.

great point.

Wasnt supposed to see this tour until newark but managed to snag a ticket for last night's DC show. My thoughts:

First set: Very enjoyable. Really interesting to get all those PoW songs all bunched together. Loved the Subdivisions opener, and the succession of album openers - big money, force 10 - really kept the energy going.

Grand Designs was a nice surprise, but Territories was underwhelming. Middletown was wonderful, what a treat. But most of all ANALOG KID was the highlight for me, not only of the first set, but of the entire show. Havent heard it since 1983, Radio City, and it was fantastic in every way.

Second set: 9 CA songs in a row, really? Headlong flight was a great jam, but IMHO the new stuff didnt go over well, and I personally didnt think sounded good live - muddled wall of sound similar to the album production. Noisy and just not very enjoyable IMHO.

As for the "classic" tunes in this set: They couldve done alot better than Dreamline, and Red Sector A, while fine, was not the best choice - why not play kid gloves or afterimage?? Working Man was completely unnecessary, enough already. With their amazing catalogue, why not play Xanadu, Jacob?? The 2112 encore was nice, loved it (so glad we got this instead of TSOR).

All in all, an average setlist at best. But again, inclusion of Analog Kid made this fan's night, and single-handedly saved it from being below-average for me.

As an old school Rush fan, I've frankly given up on getting a great setlist at this point. But if we can get some favorite classics each tour, Im happy (ie analog kid). However, they couldve played a few more than they did last night. But to be circumspect, the fact that theyre still touring, and playing at such a high level is something all Rush fans should be grateful for.

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (av450 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:07 PM)
This is all on my news feed and it's sickening. Why are we so mean to each other. It's psychological. It's the way we are raised. Do you know how many people kill themselves over all this? Do you know how many people buy guns to execute people like this? How do you think adults feel who have lost their children to suicide or gun violence feel looking at this stuff on the Internet. The things we say to each other. Wild animals don't even do this to their prey. We are so cruel to one another. Does anyone know what it feels like to burry a child whose committed suicide or has been killed for bullying. These things happen. People kill each other for these reasons. This is all in our minds. Chemicals in our bodies are released when we feel the need to put people down. Thats what makes us feel the high we feel when drama starts. There is such a thing as blocking each other and reporting this stuff to Facebook. We aren't in middle school anymore. How would we feel if our kids were going through this. It's sad when people feel the need to put others down. Someone who can post a picture like this has a right too. If others are offended by it block them. Going back and forth saying all this unnecessary bull makes everyone look bad. Then when someone kills themselves everyone wipes their hands clean and don't want to deal with the law. If any of you were to be found dead these people who are being cruel are found guilty of voluntary manslaughter and not only that, but two families loose their children. Do you really want to put the women who brought you into this world through that? Some people don't even have moms or families. Some people have cancer or homeless and even worse like in unbearable situations like war and poverty like in third world countries. I just can't fathom how we can say such cruel things back and forth. It's unbelievable how ungrateful we are that we have all the things we have. We are all beautiful in our own ways and no one has the right to judge. You don't know what everyone wakes up too and falls asleep too. This whole thing has been blown out of control and I already reported it and the police have been notified. And names have been recorded and they Are locating your where abouts as of right now. This is a serious matter

"This is all on my news feed and it's sickening. Why are we so mean to each other. It's psychological."

Yes. Why some people have to stoop to insulting others really seems weird, this wouldn't happen in real life unless it was supposed to end in a fight.

I could say I wouldn't expect such talk from Rush fans on a Rush fan site but I was wrong before and got insulted for it.

Good on you EV, glad to see that someone has a voice of reason.

To the OP- they're playing most of 2112. That's good enough for me.

Peace out.