Rush burns us again

tullfan

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Oct 1 2012, 08:47 PM)
Wow 19 pages!!! No wonder some people troll, getting a 19 page thread is exactly what they want

I've heard so many people refer to this as a troll thread, but I'm not buying it.

Read the first post again. There are trolls on this board for sure, but the initial thread is not trolling - it's someone expressing their views, not just put up to incite reactions. At least that's how I read it.

Maybe to some people anything negative about Rush is trolling because they don't want to hear a dissenting opinion at all.

Couple of things:

1 - 3 musicians, either in, or nearing their 60's have just released a cracking new album they're (rightly) proud of & want to play virtually in it's entirety.

2 - the same 3 musicians, instead of rolling out the same tunes again, decide to play a bunch of songs rarely (if ever) played in the past

3 - the same 3 musicians are maybe getting just a tad tired of playing the same songs every tour

4 - one of said 3 musicians would need a tank of helium & a G clamp on his genitals to even attempt the vocal register he had 35 years ago (the shame of it - not being able to retain a falsetto into his late 50's)

5 - said musicians (BTW, I'm referring to 2.gif here...) are still playing longer sets than most of their contemporaries & playing them well

6 - arguably, they play progressive rock... this is what they're doing... progressing

7 - you want the same songs year after year? Go see the Rolling Stones.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Oct 1 2012, 05:47 PM)
You had the experience with RJD (RIP Ronnie).  I had a similar experience with Tull.  Fortunately Ian is still with us, but Tull today bares little resemblance to Tull of bygone days.

As an aside - I've seen Tull on most of their tours in the last 30 years & unfortunately, the last 15 years has seen Anderson's voice deteriorate to such a degree that he can no longer hold a tune in a bucket

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 2 2012, 07:56 AM)
QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Oct 1 2012, 08:47 PM)
Wow 19 pages!!!  No wonder some people troll, getting a 19 page thread is exactly what they want

I've heard so many people refer to this as a troll thread, but I'm not buying it.

Read the first post again. There are trolls on this board for sure, but the initial thread is not trolling - it's someone expressing their views, not just put up to incite reactions. At least that's how I read it.

Maybe to some people anything negative about Rush is trolling because they don't want to hear a dissenting opinion at all.

You are correct sir! This is not a troll thread, But the Trolls did smell blood and came out in droves.

yes.gif drool1.gif yes.gif

Now THIS would be a set list:

Set 1:

The Spirit of Radio

Subdivsions

Far Cry

Broon's Bane

The Trees

The Analog Kid

Prime Mover

Freewill

Distant Early Warning

The Big Money

A Farewell to Kings

YYZ

Limelight

Set 2:

2112 (Overture/Temples)

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Nobody's Hero

The Wreckers

Losing It

Headlong Flight

Closer to the Heart

The Garden

Xanadu

Red Barchetta

2112 Finale

Encore

La Villa Strangiato

Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 2 2012, 08:47 AM)

Set 1:

The Spirit of Radio
Subdivsions
Far Cry
Broon's Bane
The Trees
The Analog Kid
Prime Mover
Freewill
Distant Early Warning
The Big Money
A Farewell to Kings
YYZ
Limelight

Set 2:

2112 (Overture/Temples)
Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Nobody's Hero
The Wreckers
Losing It
Headlong Flight
Closer to the Heart
The Garden
Xanadu
Red Barchetta
2112 Finale

Encore
La Villa Strangiato
Tom Sawyer

The Goobs is surfacing once again...Good setlist for the most part.

Anything from MP is just played out man...you really want to hear that stuff so soon after TMT?

Subdivisions--Please give me another song from Signals

Freewill--I'm sick of watching Geddy struggle with that song

Need some Vapor Trails in there...Ghost Rider, Peaceable Kingdom, Sweet Miracle...Nocturne would be nice. Ceiling Unlimited would be GREAT!

Broon's Bane and the Tree's would be cool...But it's time for Nick to have an ode dedicated to him. Maybe "Boouzhe's Babe-Bait" to segue into "Seven Cities of Gold".

Halo Effect in place of Closer to the Heart

Great setlist now smile.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Oct 2 2012, 07:03 AM)

Set 1:

The Spirit of Radio
Subdivsions
Far Cry
Broon's Bane
The Trees
The Analog Kid
Prime Mover
Freewill
Distant Early Warning
The Big Money
A Farewell to Kings
YYZ
Limelight

Set 2:

2112 (Overture/Temples)
Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Nobody's Hero
The Wreckers
Losing It
Headlong Flight
Closer to the Heart
The Garden
Xanadu
Red Barchetta
2112 Finale

Encore
La Villa Strangiato
Tom Sawyer

The Goobs is surfacing once again...Good setlist for the most part.

Anything from MP is just played out man...you really want to hear that stuff so soon after TMT?

Subdivisions--Please give me another song from Signals

Freewill--I'm sick of watching Geddy struggle with that song

Need some Vapor Trails in there...Ghost Rider, Peaceable Kingdom, Sweet Miracle...Nocturne would be nice. Ceiling Unlimited would be GREAT!

Broon's Bane and the Tree's would be cool...But it's time for Nick to have an ode dedicated to him. Maybe "Boouzhe's Babe-Bait" to segue into "Seven Cities of Gold".

Halo Effect in place of Closer to the Heart

Great setlist now smile.gif

no.gif

QUOTE (Leslie145 @ Oct 2 2012, 08:58 AM)

I don't know if you've actually seen them or not, but I saw them on the Steel Wheels tour in 1989, the Voodoo Lounge tour in 1994 and the 40 Licks tour in 2003 or 2004. Not only do they not play the same songs year after year, but, honestly, they probably have somewhere between 2 and 3 hours worth of songs that are practically the gold standard of rock music in terms of notoriety and influence. If they DID play the same songs every year, it would be understandable.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Oct 2 2012, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (Leslie145 @ Oct 2 2012, 08:58 AM)

I don't know if you've actually seen them or not, but I saw them on the Steel Wheels tour in 1989, the Voodoo Lounge tour in 1994 and the 40 Licks tour in 2003 or 2004. Not only do they not play the same songs year after year, but, honestly, they probably have somewhere between 2 and 3 hours worth of songs that are practically the gold standard of rock music in terms of notoriety and influence. If they DID play the same songs every year, it would be understandable.

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

Good to see facts posted as opposed to folks relying upon the "shotgun approach" to argumentation.

2.gif

At the risk of being panned, get over yourselves. With 11k registered users, does anyone REALLY think that they represent the majority of fans? Seriously? There are thousands upon thousands of people going to these shows just about every other night. Do you speak for ALL of them? I'm going and I assure you, I don't even try to speak for anyone an nobody here speaks for me. I see people crying for this song and that and why don't they do this or that, the new album is great/sucks. This board is barely a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of Rush fans. Hell, I would never have found it if not for someone else telling me about it. Enjoy this music while you can because their touring days have far fewer tomorrows than yesterdays and what exactly will you be complaining about when Peart finally decides he's had enough? That he owes you one more tour opening ,closing and playing 22 renditions of Jacob's Ladder in between? If you don't like the set/album, don't go and don't listen. I hear air supply are touring, go see them.

QUOTE (garyg7133 @ Oct 2 2012, 12:38 PM)
At the risk of being panned, get over yourselves. With 11k registered users, does anyone REALLY think that they represent the majority of fans? Seriously? There are thousands upon thousands of people going to these shows just about every other night. Do you speak for ALL of them? I'm going and I assure you, I don't even try to speak for anyone an nobody here speaks for me. I see people crying for this song and that and why don't they do this or that, the new album is great/sucks. This board is barely a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of Rush fans. Hell, I would never have found it if not for someone else telling me about it. Enjoy this music while you can because their touring days have far fewer tomorrows than yesterdays and what exactly will you be complaining about when Peart finally decides he's had enough? That he owes you one more tour opening ,closing and playing 22 renditions of Jacob's Ladder in between? If you don't like the set/album, don't go and don't listen. I hear air supply are touring, go see them.

Dude just went Hiroshima goodpost.gif

Agreed.

QUOTE (garyg7133 @ Oct 2 2012, 01:38 PM)

you may have just lost the internetz

Exactly! goodpost.gif

QUOTE (garyg7133 @ Oct 3 2012, 01:38 AM)

[end thread]. goodpost.gif

Edited by Ranger J

Set 1:

The Spirit of Radio
Subdivsions
Far Cry
Broon's Bane
The Trees
The Analog Kid
Prime Mover
Freewill
Distant Early Warning
The Big Money
A Farewell to Kings
YYZ
Limelight

Set 2:

2112 (Overture/Temples)
Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Nobody's Hero
The Wreckers
Losing It
Headlong Flight
Closer to the Heart
The Garden
Xanadu
Red Barchetta
2112 Finale

Encore
La Villa Strangiato
Tom Sawyer

Great Setilist:

Switch Lock and key for Prime Mover and I'm sold! Oh yeah place a drum solo somewhere!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

For those who think they are getting Burned by the Clockwork Angels tour theres always this:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w387/losingit2k/RushSunblock-1.jpg

laugh.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I don't have time to read this entire thread to see if this has already been said....

Old fan here. All tours since 2112. 41 shows total. Like most fans from my generation I have been at the store on release day every time, slept out for as many as 3 nights for good tickets etc.... You old guys know what I'm talking about!

After 41 shows in 35 years, the new stuff is what I go to see now! You have been going since Hemispheres! Why would you want to see the same older stuff over and over?

For me, every tour, I wish they would lose some always played stuff and play more new stuff or rarely played stuff. I get my wish this tour!

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Oct 4 2012, 07:03 PM)
I don't have time to read this entire thread to see if this has already been said....

Old fan here. All tours since 2112. 41 shows total. Like most fans from my generation I have been at the store on release day every time, slept out for as many as 3 nights for good tickets etc.... You old guys know what I'm talking about!

After 41 shows in 35 years, the new stuff is what I go to see now! You have been going since Hemispheres! Why would you want to see the same older stuff over and over?

For me, every tour, I wish they would lose some always played stuff and play more new stuff or rarely played stuff. I get my wish this tour!

lol, so you will remember, like me, the days when wed grumble that they didnt play more of the latest album smile.gif

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Oct 4 2012, 06:03 PM)

goodpost.gif