• Please log in to reply
1495 replies to this topic

#1441 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:15 PM)
I've been following along but haven't posted yet so I'll put various thoughts in one post.

1. For me, I freaking love this set. As someone who has seen Rush over 30 times and owns every single album/live album/dvd and about 100 bootlegs the fresher the set the better for me. That's why I loved the S&A set so much.

2. This is as close as we'll realistically get to a "B-sides" tour.

3. Like a few others the only part that's actually somewhat disappointing for me is the last four songs. I'm not exactly unhappy about them and they've got to throw a few standards in there for the masses but for me personally those are the least interesting ones.

4. I absolutely love the new album so the more the better, would have also loved to hear Seven Cities.

5. As far as songs like Limelight and Freewill a few of you seem to be acting like those are always played, that's not true at all. Of course, they're very common but they've been skipped here and there. Freewill wasn't played most recently on the R30 tour and also missed the Counterparts and Hold Your Fire tours and others. Limelight was only played on the last leg of the TFE tour and wan't played at all on the Presto and Grace Under Pressure tours.

6. As far as Jacob's Ladder goes, I was shocked reading along at everybody's expectations of hearing it. First of all, I hate to pick on anybody but from what I remember that Tony guy is basically someone that likes to mess with people. Not quite a troll but just likes to feel "smarter than". We know JL was rehearsed for the last tour and didn't make it and Neil specifically addressed this on his most recent instructional dvd where he confirmed they tried it but dropped it because sometimes "You can't go back again" and he seemed pretty adamant about it. Obviously, it's possible he could have changed his mind but that seemed incredibly unlikely only one tour later if you watched him talk about it.

7. I'm really excited to see this show but I'm also realistic enough to know that the overwhelming majority of the crowd goes to see Rush to hear what they know from the radio. I'm afraid standing in the crowd is going to ruin most of my enjoyment because of the constant bitching throughout. I'd bet 75% of the typical audience has never even heard the names The Body Electric or Grand Designs or Territories, much less the new songs. It's going to be one long draining night of "Play 2112!!!!!!", and "Play Freewill!!!!!!!!!" and "Play Limelight!!!!!" while I'm trying to hear the songs. I sure hope I'm wrong but I've spend too many evenings standing near a "fan" who spends over 2 hours between every single song yelling "Tom Sawyer!! Tom Sawyer!!" to expect anything different. But thank you Rush for having the courage to play so much off the radar stuff, especially after the incredibly standards-heavy Time Machine tour (although I loved the first set).

Anyway, there, I'm done!  laugh.gif

smile.gif

That about sums it up for me.

More pleasant surprises ( for me) than any set ever and there have been quite a few good ones in the recent past, but nothing like this.

The album is a gift that keeps on giving and the set is just icing on the cake.

Hopefully the scalper market just crashed and I can go to another show or two.

Sponsored Post

#1442 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5017 posts
  • Interests:Teaching guitar lessons, writing, drinking quality beers.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (dtpoet @ Sep 7 2012, 09:44 PM)
Earlier today - Tony R was quoted as saying -" Losing It, Territories, and Jacobs Ladder on the set list."

When asked by someone; "Tony Do you have a view of the setlist?", he replied "Indeed I do!"

Guess not -

Yes...why would he do that?

#1443 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 8 2012, 02:51 PM)

the set list had some nice surprises but i wish rush would keep going with that and keep up with the deep cuts: scrap force 10 and big money and bravado and go balls deep. i enjoy those songs but there is a huge vat of other songs to choose from so i agree with others who chimed in about this.

Yo davey!
Yeah, though I like Force 10, Big Money, and Bravado I can also do without them in exchange for some AFTK or something not usually touched in the 80s. Oh well.  trink38.gif

#1444 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10803 posts
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

Thanks guys. I've just read the last 70-odd pages. f***ing hilarious. Love the enthusiasm, and the bitching. It's all good.

That was such a curveball of a setlist. Incredible. I hope it does not change too much before 2013's European sojourn.

80's deep cut heaven and the best of CA. Throw in beers and Rush buddies, you've got the perfect night out!

Looking forward to my own Manchester gig! And Sheffield! And Glasgow!!!!!

2.gif  

#1445 Skin Bag

Skin Bag

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

LOVE IT!!!!!!!

user posted image

#1446 SchemingDemon

SchemingDemon

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1357 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

The more I think about it, the more I'm really looking forward to this setlist. The first set is just freakin amazing, with the exception of Far Cry which really just doesn't belong with all the 80s material. The synth era is my favorite, but even I think they choose too many songs from that time period. I would have liked to hear some deeper cuts from, say, T4E or even VT (Vapor Trail, The Color of Right, How It Is).

I wasn't too surprised to see that there's almost nothing from the 70s. I'm sure they tried out some songs, but Ged probably just cannot sing them anymore, even if they're tuned down.

Also, is there any song on the setlist that hasn't been played live before, with the exception of CA of course? I don't think there is sad.gif

#1447 Animate

Animate

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1140 posts
  • Interests:Lost Horizons

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

They are playing  common001.gif  common001.gif Manhattan Project  common001.gif  common001.gif and  common001.gif  common001.gif The Body Electric!!!!! common001.gif  common001.gif

I am so stoked!!!!!

1287.gif  moon.gif  

#1448 SchemingDemon

SchemingDemon

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1357 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 8 2012, 02:17 AM)
Set 1

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force 10
Grand Designs
The Body Electric
Territories
Analog Kid
Bravado
Where's My Thing
Far Cry

Intermission

Set 2

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Manhatten Project
Red Sector A
YYZ
Working Man

Encore

Tom Sawyer
The Spirit of Radio

^ This is the setlist?

Yeah, except it's missing Halo Effect. I believe that came on before WTW

#1449 Territorial_Game

Territorial_Game

Net Boy

• Members *
  • 3491 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Chief2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 12:02 AM)
Promise I'm not a troll.  I had a login on here before but it's been awhile.  

I have it on very good authority that there is a B setlist.  It's been seen.  I personally haven't been told exactly what songs will be switched out but here are the songs that will be played on the B list that are different from tonight's list.  

"The Pass," "Middletown Dreams," "Dreamline," "Seven Cities of Gold," and "2112" for the encore.

Seems pretty legit based on tonight's list.  I know the person who  saw the list and gave me this info and I 100% trust them.  Guess we'll find out soon enough.

The Pass for Bravado and Dreamline for Far Cry hopefully. Don't want to see the others go. Seven Cities for WTW? I dunno, I'll believe it when I see it.  

#1450 ReflectedLight

ReflectedLight

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8673 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 8 2012, 08:14 AM)
QUOTE (Chief2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 12:02 AM)
Promise I'm not a troll.  I had a login on here before but it's been awhile. 

I have it on very good authority that there is a B setlist.  It's been seen.  I personally haven't been told exactly what songs will be switched out but here are the songs that will be played on the B list that are different from tonight's list. 

"The Pass," "Middletown Dreams," "Dreamline," "Seven Cities of Gold," and "2112" for the encore.

Seems pretty legit based on tonight's list.  I know the person who  saw the list and gave me this info and I 100% trust them.  Guess we'll find out soon enough.

The Pass for Bravado and Dreamline for Far Cry hopefully.

that's not helping.  

#1451 Snaked

Snaked

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3339 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Woke up with a HUGE smile on my face and a voice which is showing the strains of singing (badly) for nearly three hours straight.

What a GREAT show.

Ignore the haters.. this setlist not only kicks some serious ass... but it works perfectly.  

#1452 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33769 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 8 2012, 03:14 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 7 2012, 08:54 PM)
Many were still during the garden but I did nit witness anyone crying.  Mostly silently awed.

Fixed:

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 7 2012, 08:54 PM)
Many were still during the garden but I did nit witness anyone crying.  Mostly bored as f**k.

Ooh. Clever.  eyesre4.gif

#1453 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

50% good Rush, 50% bad-a failing grade in my book- Won't be at this show, sad to say..

Edited by GeminiRising79, 08 September 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#1454 kevind2112

kevind2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Music! I play drums mainly, but have been known to dabble in guitar, bass, keyboards, and I sing. Jack-of-all-trades (master of none!).

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

If that B setlist if real - I'm torn. I'd love to keep the A setlist, except replace the encore with 2112. Then it's perfect  biggrin.gif  

#1455 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 8 2012, 08:31 AM)
50% good Rush, 50% bad-a failing grade in my book- Won't be at this show, sad to say..

Well then I don't see the point of Rush continuing this tour. But I am hoping when the Rush camp hears you will not be attending, changes to the setlist will be made

#1456 ReflectedLight

ReflectedLight

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8673 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 8 2012, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 8 2012, 08:31 AM)

Well then I don't see the point of Rush continuing this tour. But I am hoping when the Rush camp hears you will not be attending, changes to the setlist will be made

we can only hope.  it's the only way i would go.

#1457 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (kevind2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 08:48 AM)
If that B setlist if real - I'm torn. I'd love to keep the A setlist, except replace the encore with 2112. Then it's perfect  biggrin.gif

Yes, would assume The Pass for Bravado (much prefer Bravado)
Dreamline for Far Cry (Much prefer Far Cry)
Seven Cities is my least fav song on the album.
Middletown Dreams...meh.....what is up with the Power Windows obsession? One of my least fav Rush albums

2112 is a must

The B setlist doesn't do much for me....this setlist will be all about Clockwork Angels for me

Still very interested in hearing what the Limelight mystery is all about

#1458 kevind2112

kevind2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Music! I play drums mainly, but have been known to dabble in guitar, bass, keyboards, and I sing. Jack-of-all-trades (master of none!).

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 8 2012, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (kevind2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 08:48 AM)
If that B setlist if real - I'm torn. I'd love to keep the A setlist, except replace the encore with 2112. Then it's perfect  biggrin.gif

Yes, would assume The Pass for Bravado (much prefer Bravado)
Dreamline for Far Cry (Much prefer Far Cry)
Seven Cities is my least fav song on the album.
Middletown Dreams...meh.....what is up with the Power Windows obsession? One of my least fav Rush albums

2112 is a must

The B setlist doesn't do much for me....this setlist will be all about Clockwork Angels for me

Still very interested in hearing what the Limelight mystery is all about

Agreed with all of this. (Except for the Power Windows thing, this is actually one of my favorite albums!)

I don't think the Limelight thing is as much a mystery as we might think. I'm assuming between starting late, and the technical problems during the show, they just ran out of time and decided to can it. My thoughts anyway.

Edited by kevind2112, 08 September 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#1459 av450

av450

The Seeker

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

If they add in Middletown dreams then it should replace something bad like red sector a

#1460 Unattractive Truth

Unattractive Truth

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1270 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 7 2012, 10:25 PM)
SPOILERS

haha alex had the worst trainwreck i ever heard on the tom sawyer solo. he wrecked it so bad it was awesome and he knew it and laughed it off real good. alex looks real good btw.

i could not believe they played the body electric. i jumped out of my body with surprise! and grand designs was a special treat. i love power windows. that and territories was the best part of the show. no middletown dreams tho! that would have made my nite.

i loved the opening track. that was a sweet opener. i was holding out for jacobs ladder towards the end and i couldn't believe they didn't play it!

geddy seemed conservative yet his face was very into it. his voice sounded VERY GOOD. he had a new bass for a few songs: a fender that was a sweet mint green in color.

waaay too many songs in a row from the new album. just like the S & A tour but longer. i stopped watching rush and had my eyes fixed on that hot violin player: she was smokin' hot and she was really having fun. keep your eyes out for her. there were about 6 violin players jamming out.

i thought the light show was a little disappointing but my brother loved watching howard and his sidekick trying to figure it out at times ;]

saw some familiar faces: iluvgeddy who looked smokin' hot, bostonrush517, rushgal, chipper was rocking out (from the other boards).

the videos were cool and funny. alex has an interesting speaker cabinet set up: no speakers...just some ufo dish things that had neat effects throughout the show.

sweet placement of the drum solo in where's my thing it reminded me of exit stage left's solo "early in the show"

and dude had to plug in the band after a malfunction before a song i was like WTF with the tech difficulties already
just some thoughts from what stuck with me so far...

Great report. Thanks!

BostonRush517..was she "completed wasted"??

laugh.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users