Do people ever switch seats?

Karena

Say if you were sitting (standing) on Geddy's side and some other fan was on Alex's side in about the same row, would it not be cool to switch seats half way through the show to get the full experience. Obviously people in the center probably wouldn't be interested, but those off to the sides might?

On the R30 tour toward the end of the second set, my wife and I were moved from row 11 to row 2 along with another couple next to us by a very nice security guy/usher who knew there was a block of empty seats there. All we did was ask, and he was like, "sure, hold on a minute until they finish this song."

I think that would a cool idea... but I've never been lucky enough to be that close to the stage. If you found those people to switch with before the show... might work.

Once in Minneapolis, CP tour, we walked up to the ticket window about 4 pm and asked if there was any way to exchange our nosebleeds for something closer (almost as a joke) and she said, "Sure. How about these?" We looked at each other like WTF? But, we didn't skip a beat! The new seats were off to the side, a few rows up just off to the side of Alex's set up.

It turned out that they opened up some new seats after they had the rigging and stage set all finalized. I think she felt sorry for us because we drove all the way from Thunder Bay (8 hours)... We gave her a big sob story... Fine with me.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 5 2012, 08:07 AM)
I wouldn't. The idea of going all around the entire arena and finding the dude with the tickets to switch during a 10 minute intermission is ridiculous.

It's something fans could maybe plan ahead of time, at least to the possibility. Some people don't even know where their seats are located yet and they may really prefer one side but miss out on it. I don't need to be staring up Geddy's exquisite nose all night, and I'd love to watch Alex play up close too.

QUOTE (Karena @ Sep 5 2012, 09:29 AM)
I wouldn't. The idea of going all around the entire arena and finding the dude with the tickets to switch during a 10 minute intermission is ridiculous.

It's something fans could maybe plan ahead of time, at least to the possibility. Some people don't even know where their seats are located yet and they may really prefer one side but miss out on it. I don't need to be staring up Geddy's exquisite nose all night, and I'd love to watch Alex play up close too.

goodpost.gif

Never switched a seat, but I have taken advantage of much better seating (not necessarily closer) when I've found them to be open in the same section. To tell the truth, my favorite seats in any venue are the ones directly under the handicapped seating with a fairly straight on view of the stage. The row is rarely full and you can stand up as often as you'd like without worrying about bothering anyone. Those are the best seats in the house, imo....next to the handicapped seats...which I'm not.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 5 2012, 09:13 AM)

Once in Minneapolis, CP tour, we walked up to the ticket window about 4 pm and asked if there was any way to exchange our nosebleeds for something closer (almost as a joke) and she said, "Sure.  How about these?"  We looked at each other like WTF?  But, we didn't skip a beat!  The new seats were off to the side, a few rows up just off to the side of Alex's set up. 

Often times (usually around mid-tour) seats that were set aside for friends, family, & associates/execs of the band & crew become available. These seats are generally in rows 5 to 15 and are either sold off right before the show OR (my favorite) just given to fans in the nose-bleed sections as upgrades. A crew member will walk the upper levels and hand them out to appreciative individuals. A pretty cool thing to do, IMO.

If i saw better seats in front of me and knew FOR SURE the people wouldnt show up...sure i'd switch. But what if you switch and the people end up showing up and your seats got taken too! haha

Better seats tho??? MMMMMM Better view ? MMMMMM

Tempting. BUT i wouldnt go all over the place to switch.

2.gif

My wife and I switched seats last tour when the guy next to her threw up on himself and then passed out. wink.gif

It's hard enough to drag her to a Rush show... and then we end up sitting next to "that guy".

Edited by BrightAntennae

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Sep 5 2012, 11:13 AM)
My wife and I switched seats last tour when the guy next to her threw up on himself and then passed out. wink.gif

It's hard enough to drag her to a Rush show... and then we end up sitting next to "that guy".

You mean that "one guy" that somehow or another, will spill his overpriced beer all over your seats. wacko.gif I hate that so much. Such a distraction. banghead.gif

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Sep 5 2012, 12:13 PM)

Oh, how gross. I hope you got better seats after that.

At a few shows, I've given up pretty good seats. In Dallas, I met a guy on the lawn and gave him my 5th row center for the second set and encore. I saw the rest of the show from the lawn and had a better time with some cool people that were his friends. In Chicago, I met a girl before the show with eyesight issues who was sitting waaaaay back, and I gave her and her friend my Geddy-side 3rd row tix at intermission. My brother, who's ticket I also gave away, was cool with it (I bought the tix so he couldn't gripe much), and I found out that by sitting waaaaay back, you can see parts of the show like the lighting that you miss when you're up close. Other times, I've let people borrow my close up seats for a few songs. A few times in Kansas City, I gave a randomly picked dad and his son second row center seats for a few songs, while I sat back in row 45 or thereabouts. Both times, the kid came back with eyes wide and a story to tell his friends, and the dad looked like a hero, while I missed being up close for a few songs that I saw from up close on other stops on the tour anyway. Don't know what I would have done if dad and son didn't come back from my seats, of course; maybe that would be a better story anyway.

I am aware that I have been almost impossibly fortunate in my life. I believe that when you're fortunate to be able to afford really good seats, you can share the experience with some real fans who haven't been as fortunate, and get more out of the deal in the long run anyway.

QUOTE (Karena @ Sep 5 2012, 08:55 AM)
Say if you were sitting (standing) on Geddy's side and some other fan was on Alex's side in about the same row, would it not be cool to switch seats half way through the show to get the full experience. Obviously people in the center probably wouldn't be interested, but those off to the sides might?

cool10.gif

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Sep 5 2012, 01:13 PM)
My wife and I switched seats last tour when the guy next to her threw up on himself and then passed out.  wink.gif

Hey, man, I'm really, really sorry about that.

Wait. Excuse me for 1 second...

062802puke_prv.gif

Phew... sorry again. So, how did the rest of the concert sound? Any good? Did they play that "Modern Day Warrior" song?

yeah. kickass. 1022.gif

I could stare at Geddy's exquisite nose for the rest of my life so... Hopefully I'll be on his side for at least one of my two shows. I'd be more than happy to switch with a Lerxst fan on Geddy's side.

blush4.gif

QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Sep 6 2012, 11:36 AM)

I could stare at Geddy's exquisite nose for the rest of my life so... Hopefully I'll be on his side for at least one of my two shows. I'd be more than happy to switch with a Lerxst fan on Geddy's side.

blush4.gif

I know, Geddy's side seems to be the more popular and scalpers often ask more $$ for those seats. I guess you are not doing Manchester? I'm not sure of the exact placement of my seat numbers relating to the stage setup but they may be smack in front of Geddy three rows back, or slightly to the side, depending on how wide the stage is. I don't highly favor one side over the other (I don't think) and Lerxst is just so fun and enthusiastic. Only hitting one show so I don't want to miss anything..... wacko.gif

QUOTE (tomhealey @ Sep 5 2012, 04:17 PM)
At a few shows, I've given up pretty good seats.  In Dallas, I met a guy on the lawn and gave him my 5th row center for the second set and encore.  I saw the rest of the show from the lawn and had a better time with some cool people that were his friends.  In Chicago, I met a girl before the show with eyesight issues who was sitting waaaaay back, and I gave her and her friend my Geddy-side 3rd row tix at intermission.  My brother, who's ticket I also gave away, was cool with it (I bought the tix so he couldn't gripe much), and I found out that by sitting waaaaay back, you can see parts of the show like the lighting that you miss when you're up close.  Other times, I've let people borrow my close up seats for a few songs.  A few times in Kansas City, I gave a randomly picked dad and his son second row center seats for a few songs, while I sat back in row 45 or thereabouts.  Both times, the kid came back with eyes wide and a story to tell his friends, and the dad looked like a hero, while I missed being up close for a few songs that I saw from up close on other stops on the tour anyway.  Don't know what I would have done if dad and son didn't come back from my seats, of course; maybe that would be a better story anyway.
  I am aware that I have been almost impossibly fortunate in my life.  I believe that when you're fortunate to be able to afford really good seats, you can share the experience with some real fans who haven't been as fortunate, and get more out of the deal in the long run anyway.

Strong first post and I'd be cool with it if you gave me free tickets too...nomsayin?

Edited by av450