Promote Movies You Love!

Tick

Did you ever think to yourself,...

"I wonder what great movies are out there I may have missed?"

This is the thread to tell people about movies they may have missed that you love.

I start with some of mine that may have gotten by many.

1. Repo The Genetic Opera - The horror musical. An instant cult classic! Love this movie!

2. Mystery Men - A bunch of wannabe superhero's try and save the day against villain, "Casanova Frankenstein. You would be hard pressed to find a movie with more stars in it than this one.

Ben Stiller ... Mr. Furious

Hank Azaria ... The Blue Raja

William H. Macy ... Shoveler

Janeane Garofalo ... The Bowler

Kel Mitchell ... Invisible Boy

Paul Reubens ... Spleen

Wes Studi ... Sphinx

Greg Kinnear ... Captain Amazing / Lance

Geoffrey Rush ... Casanova Frankenstein

Lena Olin ... Dr. Anabel Leek

Eddie Izzard ... Tony P

Artie Lange ... Big Red

Claire Forlani ... Monica

Tom Waits, Dane Cook, CeeLo Green, Michale Bay.....

3. Excalibur - Perhaps some of our younger members have not seen this 1981 classic about the legend of King Arthur. Great movie.

4. Brain Donors - Slapstick comedy in the tradition of the Marx Brothers. John Turturro stars in this mindless but hilarious comedy filled with side splitting one liners.

I will start with these. I'm hoping we all benefit from each other from this thread. Certainly we all have different tastes, but there are plenty of movies others have seen that get by us.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Aug 27 2012, 07:48 AM)
I think you missed the mark on the forum. wink.gif

OOPS! doh.gif

Hello kind moderators and admins. This thread needs to gas up the minivan and move! atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Aug 27 2012, 06:40 AM)

This is the thread to tell people about movies they may have missed that you love.

1. Repo The Genetic Opera - The horror musical. An instant cult classic! Love this movie!

2. Mystery Men - A bunch of wannabe superhero's try and save the day against villain, "Casanova Frankenstein. You would be hard pressed to find a movie with more stars in it than this one.

Ben Stiller ...  Mr. Furious

Hank Azaria ...  The Blue Raja

William H. Macy ...  Shoveler

Janeane Garofalo ...  The Bowler

Kel Mitchell ...  Invisible Boy

Paul Reubens ...  Spleen

Wes Studi ...  Sphinx

Greg Kinnear ...  Captain Amazing / Lance

Geoffrey Rush ...  Casanova Frankenstein

Lena Olin ...  Dr. Anabel Leek

Eddie Izzard ...  Tony P

Artie Lange ...  Big Red

Claire Forlani ...  Monica

3. Excalibur - Perhaps some of our younger members have not seen this 1981 classic about the legend of King Arthur. Great movie.

4. Brain Donors - Slapstick comedy in the tradition of the Marx Brothers. John Turturro stars in this mindless but hilarious comedy filled with side splitting one liners.

I will start with these. I'm hoping we all benefit from each other from this thread. Certainly we all have different tastes, but there are plenty of movies others have seen that get by us.

Excaliber-- new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Great Cast: Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart, Helen Mirren...outstanding cinemaphotgraphy

The director also did "Deliverance"

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

I'm a huge fan of Werner Herzog...his latter movies include some documentaries ie Grizzly Man, encounters at the end of the World--great films.

His feature "hollywood" flicks such as Bad Leiutenant: port of New Orleans, Invincable, and Rescue Dawn are fantastic...HOWEVER

His early films Aguirre the Wrath of God, Fitzcarraldo, Nosferatu, and Hearts of Glass are truly epic. the images in these films, plus story lines are just great cinema.

If you have a chance to buy his DVD's do so...that way you can listen to the commentaries, and also enjoy them in english. Klaus Kinski was his muse, and he was a GREAT actor in Herzog's hands.

A few of the movies that first came to mind:

Hedwig and the Angry Inch- Think The Rocky Horror Picture Show but with slightly less camp and a whole lot more heart. It's about a man named Hansel from Berlin who gets a sex change (becoming Hedwig) in order to marry the man he's in love with and move to America. Once there, his husband leaves him and copes by becoming a glam rocker while he tries to put his life back together. Beautifully done and acted by John Cameron Mitchell and has an awesome soundtrack.

The Fountain- Currently my favorite movie and (IMO) Darren Aronofsky's masterpiece. It stars Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz, who both give amazing performances, as a couple set through different time periods via reincarnation. There's more to it than that but it's difficult to explain. It's a movie that will probably require more than one viewing but it's definitely worth it. A stunning film with a gorgeous soundtrack by Clint Mansell.

The Shadow of the Vampire- A wonderful take on Nosferatu- what if the actor playing Max Schreck was really a vampire playing an actor playing a vampire and decides to go after the crew? The awesome cast includes John Malkovich, Willem Dafoe and Eddie Izzard.

I'll probably think of some more later...

Good call on Mystery Men.

Mr. Furious: I'm a Pantera's box you do not wanna open.

Casanova Frankenstein: It is "Pandora."

Mr. Furious: Please don't correct me, it sickens me.

rofl3.gif laugh.gif

old movie - Something Wild (Demme's unsung masterpiece),Talk Radio (same with Stone),The Sender (1982 psychological horror film).To Live And Die In L.A.

recent ones - You Kill Me,King Of California,Son Of Rambow

Edited by invisible airwave

Comic books, Catholic schoolboys & girls, a villainous nun played by Jodie Foster, Vincent D'Onofrio as a priest, and animation by Todd McFarlane. Very good stuff.

http://www.dvdloc8.com/images/dvdcover/1924.jpg

I like almost everything by Cameron Crowe but this one is often forgotten:

http://www.archivio.raiuno.rai.it/image/0091/009185.jpg

Pretty cool appearances by Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam (or rather, "Citizen Dick" in this film)

There are some dark and twisted movies that are among my all time favorite films:

Lost Highway

Brazil

Altered States

Naked Lunch

eXistenZ

The City of Lost Children

Zardoz

Jacob's Ladder

Crash (the one about sex and car crashes, not the one about racism)

Brainstorm

Memento

The Wicker Man (original early 70's version)

Blade Runner

Repo Man

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Tick @ Aug 27 2012, 06:40 AM)

Ben Stiller ... Mr. Furious

Hank Azaria ... The Blue Raja

William H. Macy ... Shoveler

Janeane Garofalo ... The Bowler

Kel Mitchell ... Invisible Boy

Paul Reubens ... Spleen

Wes Studi ... Sphinx

Greg Kinnear ... Captain Amazing / Lance

Geoffrey Rush ... Casanova Frankenstein

Lena Olin ... Dr. Anabel Leek

Eddie Izzard ... Tony P

Artie Lange ... Big Red

Claire Forlani ... Monica

That Mystery Men is a pretty good one, I hadn't heard of that at all and only saw it a few months ago. I wonder how that slipped through the cracks...?

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Aug 27 2012, 09:54 PM)
Good call on Mystery Men.

Mr. Furious: I'm a Pantera's box you do not wanna open.
Casanova Frankenstein: It is "Pandora."
Mr. Furious: Please don't correct me, it sickens me.

rofl3.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 28 2012, 03:15 AM)
One of the most thoughtful and funny films of the last 10 years:
http://www.filmica.com/jacintaescudos/archivos/Little_Miss_Sunshine.jpg

Really awesome film filled with superb performances. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Glengarry Glen Ross. Simply fantastic, a true masterpiece. Everyone in this movie is absolutely at the top of their game and it's absolutely criminal that this movie is not available on Blu-Ray.

Check out the amazing cast:

Al Pacino

Jack Lemmon

Alec Baldwin

Alan Arkin

Ed Harris

Kevin Spacey

Jonathan Pryce

Go watch the

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 28 2012, 09:55 AM)
Glengarry Glen Ross. Simply fantastic, a true masterpiece. Everyone in this movie is absolutely at the top of their game and it's absolutely criminal that this movie is not available on Blu-Ray.

Al Pacino
Jack Lemmon
Alec Baldwin
Alan Arkin
Ed Harris
Kevin Spacey
Jonathan Pryce

Go watch the Trailer.

"the leads are weak, YOU'RE weak!" rofl3.gif

Outstanding cast...jack lemmon, now there was a master!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 28 2012, 10:55 AM)

Al Pacino
Jack Lemmon
Alec Baldwin
Alan Arkin
Ed Harris
Kevin Spacey
Jonathan Pryce

Go watch the Trailer.

"F*CK YOU! That's my name!"

One of the greatest movie scenes of all time.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Aug 28 2012, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 28 2012, 10:55 AM)

Al Pacino
Jack Lemmon
Alec Baldwin
Alan Arkin
Ed Harris
Kevin Spacey
Jonathan Pryce

Go watch the Trailer.

"F*CK YOU! That's my name!"

One of the greatest movie scenes of all time.

Mandatory viewing for ANY salesperson

"the good news is--you're fired!!!"

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

One of my favorite off the wall type movies. Great acting from Tony Shalhoub and Stanley Tucci

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTUzMjAzMjMyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTUzNDIyMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR1,0,214,317_.jpg