Most Overrated Movies

rushgoober

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 26 2012, 11:40 AM)
What movies have you seen that are seriously overrated?

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs

(Tarantino to me is the master of style over substance done in a really over the top, showy, and often completely disgusting way that just does nothing for me. Kill Bill would have made that list too, but I only saw a few minutes of one of those - that was way more than enough.)

Unforgiven

(I couldn't understand how this even got nominated for Best Picture, much less won it - that action to me remains unforgiven. Then again, I can't stand Westerns... at all.)

No Country For Old Men

(Similarly, couldn't even understood why it was even nominated - crazy psycho killer chases someone for 2 hours, sheriff utters some incomprehensible nonsense, the end - I don't get it. It wasn't horrible, but it was nothing special to me in any way and a chore to sit through.)

Edward Scissorhands

(I remember seeing it in the theater with my younger sister and her friend when it came out, and they were literally crying by the end of it. I absolutely HATED it, thought the characters were absolutely horrendously stupid beyond reason and it was an extremely emotionally manipulative film trying way too hard to squeeze sympathy and tears out of the audience. I still think it may be the worst film I've ever seen.)

eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif

eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif

moon.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 26 2012, 03:04 PM)
The Sixth Sense.

You'd have to have no sense to not get "the twist" immediately.

I guess not everyone has the Sherlock Holmes gift that you do. I didn't see it coming at all, and I loved the movie. There are very, very few horror movies I've seen that I think are great movies - this one is near the very top.

I was mostly talking about your stating that the movies were as good as the books. I suppose I'd agree that they did the books justice, though they were still leaps and bounds away from the novels. There's a lot in the books that wouldn't translate well at all to a movie, so I suppose I shouldn't be so hard on them but I had read the novels numerous times before the movies came out so I guess I was hoping for something different.

QUOTE (t2s @ Aug 26 2012, 03:43 PM)
I was mostly talking about your stating that the movies were as good as the books. I suppose I'd agree that they did the books justice, though they were still leaps and bounds away from the novels. There's a lot in the books that wouldn't translate well at all to a movie, so I suppose I shouldn't be so hard on them but I had read the novels numerous times before the movies came out so I guess I was hoping for something different.

Maybe we can agree on this (or maybe not): I can't imagine anyone could have done a better job translating those books into movies.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 26 2012, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (t2s @ Aug 26 2012, 03:43 PM)
I was mostly talking about your stating that the movies were as good as the books. I suppose I'd agree that they did the books justice, though they were still leaps and bounds away from the novels. There's a lot in the books that wouldn't translate well at all  to a movie, so I suppose I shouldn't be so hard on them but I had read the novels numerous times before the movies came out so I guess I was hoping for something different.

Maybe we can agree on this (or maybe not): I can't imagine anyone could have done a better job translating those books into movies.

I agree with you there, nobody else comes to mind anyway.

True Grit---the original

Shakespeare in love--good movie, not close to best picture for that year

Kill Bill

Cold Mountain

Brokeback Mountain

The Man in the Moon

Eraserhead

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Cry the beloved country

And finally...The Boys from Brazil. Possibly the most horrible score ever. Steve Guttenberg, who told him he could act?