Most Overrated Movies

rushgoober

What movies have you seen that are seriously overrated?

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

(Tarantino to me is the master of style over substance done in a really over the top, showy, and often completely disgusting way that just does nothing for me. Kill Bill would have made that list too, but I only saw a few minutes of one of those - that was way more than enough.)

Unforgiven

(I couldn't understand how this even got nominated for Best Picture, much less won it - that action to me remains unforgiven. Then again, I can't stand Westerns... at all.)

No Country For Old Men

(Similarly, couldn't even understood why it was even nominated - crazy psycho killer chases someone for 2 hours, sheriff utters some incomprehensible nonsense, the end - I don't get it. It wasn't horrible, but it was nothing special to me in any way and a chore to sit through.)

Edward Scissorhands

(I remember seeing it in the theater with my younger sister and her friend when it came out, and they were literally crying by the end of it. I absolutely HATED it, thought the characters were absolutely horrendously stupid beyond reason and it was an extremely emotionally manipulative film trying way too hard to squeeze sympathy and tears out of the audience. I still think it may be the worst film I've ever seen.)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 26 2012, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 26 2012, 12:56 PM)

yes.gif

Same story told 100 times with a differnet location and set of characters.

It might not have been totally original by a long shot, or had the best dialogue in the world, but I still loved it. yes.gif

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 26 2012, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 26 2012, 12:56 PM)

yes.gif

Same story told 100 times with a differnet location and set of characters.

I think the only reason it was popular was because of the special effects. I don't know why anyone over the age of about 20 would want to see it more than once. My 16 year old cousin saw it 9 times when it was in the theaters. I waited until it was on HBO and couldn't get through the first ten minutes --when I heard the line "You're not in Kansas anymore", I bailed. It must have been two months before I tried watching it again. I just don't like James Cameron's cliched dialogue.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 26 2012, 12:40 PM)

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs

(Tarantino to me is the master of style over substance done in a really over the top, showy, and often completely disgusting way that just does nothing for me. Kill Bill would have made that list too, but I only saw a few minutes of one of those - that was way more than enough.)

Unforgiven

(I couldn't understand how this even got nominated for Best Picture, much less won it - that action to me remains unforgiven. Then again, I can't stand Westerns... at all.)

No Country For Old Men

(Similarly, couldn't even understood why it was even nominated - crazy psycho killer chases someone for 2 hours, sheriff utters some incomprehensible nonsense, the end - I don't get it. It wasn't horrible, but it was nothing special to me in any way and a chore to sit through.)

Edward Scissorhands

(I remember seeing it in the theater with my younger sister and her friend when it came out, and they were literally crying by the end of it. I absolutely HATED it, thought the characters were absolutely horrendously stupid beyond reason and it was an extremely emotionally manipulative film trying way too hard to squeeze sympathy and tears out of the audience. I still think it may be the worst film I've ever seen.)

I agree with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but I think in their time they were new and excitingly unique.

Unforgiven I disagree with. Great performances, great characters, good story, an all time classic IMO.

No Country For Old Men. You summarized it perfectly. It was a good movie but not all that.

Edward Scissor Hands was good as well...but having seen it within the past year it was much better in the 80's (when you learned to hate it biggrin.gif ).

I don't feel any of the the over rated movies you've mentioned were terrible, and Unforgiven was great, but I think you could list every movie ever made and someone is gonna say "it ain't that great".

Movies I feel are over rated.

Transformers

Avengers

Batman (with Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger)

The Hangover (WTF???!!!)

The Town

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 26 2012, 01:30 PM)
Forrest Gump. The book told a completely different story and was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Forest Gump yes, what the f**k was all the fuss about? Just another annoying outing by Hanks...

The Matrix schla03.gif

All The Terminator movies

All Star Wars movies

I watched Pulp Fiction a little while back and it still holds up in my book. If anything, I find it extremely entertaining.

I, too, couldn't get through Avatar. Story-wise it's complete hack work, total style over substance. What's that old saying? Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public?

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Aug 26 2012, 02:49 PM)

My vote goes to The English Patient. My God that was insufferable. I agree with Elaine..."JUST DIE ALREADY!!!"

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Aug 26 2012, 03:06 PM)

My vote goes to The English Patient. My God that was insufferable. I agree with Elaine..."JUST DIE ALREADY!!!"

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

We made the last place finisher in our rotisserie (fantasy baseball) league have to rent (actually go to the store), watch, and file a report on it one year as punishment for his incompetence.

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Aug 26 2012, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Aug 26 2012, 03:06 PM)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

We made the last place finisher in our rotisserie (fantasy baseball) league have to rent (actually go to the store), watch, and file a report on it one year as punishment for his incompetence.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 26 2012, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 26 2012, 12:40 PM)

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs

(Tarantino to me is the master of style over substance done in a really over the top, showy, and often completely disgusting way that just does nothing for me.  Kill Bill would have made that list too, but I only saw a few minutes of one of those - that was way more than enough.)

Unforgiven

(I couldn't understand how this even got nominated for Best Picture, much less won it - that action to me remains unforgiven.  Then again, I can't stand Westerns... at all.)

No Country For Old Men

(Similarly, couldn't even understood why it was even nominated - crazy psycho killer chases someone for 2 hours, sheriff utters some incomprehensible nonsense, the end - I don't get it.  It wasn't horrible, but it was nothing special to me in any way and a chore to sit through.)

Edward Scissorhands

(I remember seeing it in the theater with my younger sister and her friend when it came out, and they were literally crying by the end of it.  I absolutely HATED it, thought the characters were absolutely horrendously stupid beyond reason and it was an extremely emotionally manipulative film trying way too hard to squeeze sympathy and tears out of the audience.  I still think it may be the worst film I've ever seen.)

I agree with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but I think in their time they were new and excitingly unique.

Unforgiven I disagree with. Great performances, great characters, good story, an all time classic IMO.

No Country For Old Men. You summarized it perfectly. It was a good movie but not all that.

Edward Scissor Hands was good as well...but having seen it within the past year it was much better in the 80's (when you learned to hate it biggrin.gif ).

I don't feel any of the the over rated movies you've mentioned were terrible, and Unforgiven was great, but I think you could list every movie ever made and someone is gonna say "it ain't that great".

Movies I feel are over rated.

Transformers

Avengers

Batman (with Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger)

The Hangover (WTF???!!!)

The Town

I thought The Hangover was hilarious. The second one far less so.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 26 2012, 10:27 AM)
Star Wars

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 26 2012, 11:30 AM)
Forrest Gump.  The book told a completely different story and was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Aug 26 2012, 11:44 AM)
The Matrix schla03.gif

All The Terminator movies

All Star Wars movies

eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif eyesre4.gif