Name the most annoying and incompetent actors

treeduck

Actors mentioned in this thread that have had stellar performances:

Nicolas Cage - Adaptation, Leaving Las Vegas, Raising Arizona, Moonstruck, etc.

Mark Wahlberg - Boogie Nights, The Fighter

Ewan McGregor - Trainspotting, Emma, etc.

Russel Brand - Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Topher Grace - That 70's Show

Ben Affleck - Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare in Love, Dazed & Confused, etc.

Adrien Brody - The Pianist, The Village, etc.

Tom Cruise - A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, Risky Business, The Color of Money, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, etc.

Anne Hathaway - The Devil Wears Prada, Brokeback Mountain, Becoming Jane

Jack Black - High Fidelity, School of Rock

Jennifer Anniston - Friends, The Good Girl

Hayden Christensen - Shattered Glass

Orlando Bloom - The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Lindsay Lohan - Mean Girls

Like I said, people love to hate. That or they're just high. wacko.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 01:34 AM)

Tom Cruise - A Few Good Men, Born on the Fourth of July, Risky Business, The Color of Money, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, etc.

I give you Gary Rushgoober, patron saint and guardian protector of bad actors.

angel.gif applaudit.gif waffen093.gif smash.gif tongue.gif

I'll give you all of those except Hayden, man he sucked in Star Wars (ok, ok, ok, it was George Lucas' fault).

I just saw a documentary called Best Worst Movie. It was all about the cinematic master-crap called Troll 2. The actors themselves knew what a horrible movie they were making. It's hilarious and it comes highly recommended.

http://bestworstmovie.com/

Everyone mentioned in this thread ranks miles above some of the crap that has been made. Did you ever see Child Bride or Manos: The Hands Of Fate? What about anything ever made by Ed Wood or Coleman Francis? Those are movies so bad that you may need a drink of the hard stuff after watching them. And don't even get me started on the utter bowel movement that passes for an original movie from the SCi-FI network.

And Gary you're not telling me you believe that every working actor who appears on television and film is fantastic? That not one actor out there annoys you regularly?

So name your names. Surely you, Mr Super Negative on all things music, can't be Mr Everything's Sunshine and Roses in the world of acting! That is illogical.

Answer the question in the thread. Give us the names of actors who don't measure up to the Goober standards, and the names of the annoying scrubs who you have you reaching for the remote control on a regular basis.

You seem to be a lone figure in defending these people btw. Are you right and everyone else wrong? Are you the favoured boy and we the heathen horde?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 25 2012, 02:06 AM)

Like I said, people love to hate.  That or they're just high.  wacko.gif

I'll give you all of those except Hayden, man he sucked in Star Wars (ok, ok, ok, it was George Lucas' fault).

I just saw a documentary called Best Worst Movie. It was all about the cinematic master-crap called Troll 2. The actors themselves knew what a horrible movie they were making. It's hilarious and it comes highly recommended.

Everyone mentioned in this thread ranks miles above some of the crap that has been made. Did you ever see Child Bride or Manos: The Hands Of Fate? What about anything ever made by Ed Wood or Coleman Francis? Those are movies so bad that you may need a drink of the hard stuff after watching them. And don't even get me started on the utter bowel movement that passes for an original movie from the SCi-FI network.

The difference is though the people who starred in Troll 2 aren't paid zillions of dollars and shoved down the throats of the public by various celebrity obsessed outlets on a daily basis...

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Aug 25 2012, 12:06 AM)

Like I said, people love to hate.  That or they're just high.  wacko.gif

Hayden Christensen was NOT great in the Star Wars movies, but then again, Lucas's dialogue was so bad at times that he can only share partial blame.

That said, see the movie Shattered Glass - he can actually act and he's really great in that role - great movie too based on a true story!

Cruise has had his moments of shit for sure but I think he also did well in Magnolia, Rain Man, Vanilla Sky, and Taps.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Keanu Reeves. He has got to be the King of Incompetency. Shia Lebouf could be the Prince of Incompetency.

And I don't know what has happened to Nick Cage. He used to be good.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 25 2012, 12:41 AM)
Cruise has had his moments of shit for sure but I think he also did well in Magnolia, Rain Man, Vanilla Sky, and Taps.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Keanu Reeves. He has got to be the King of Incompetency. Shia Lebouf could be the Prince of Incompetency.

Nicolas Cage is still good, he just is often in crap movies. He was great in the National Treasure movies, even though the movies themselves were a bit spotty at times - they were still fun.

Keanu Reeves is not the best actor of all time by a long shot, but often for what's required of him he does a fine job, like in Parenthood and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Devil's Advocate. And the first Matrix is one of my favorite films ever - no, he's not the best actor on the planet, but I never watch The Matrix and wish it was someone else playing the part - I think he does a fine job - far better than just serviceable.

I think often people don't like some of these actors because either they're often in bad movies (which doesn't make them bad actors), or they don't like them personally (which still doesn't make them bad actors). Take Tom Cruise. Is he obnoxious? Yeah, he definitely can be for sure. That doesn't mean the 10-12 movies he was brilliant in from the 80's and 90's are suddenly bad movies or that his performances all of the sudden suck.

Edited by rushgoober

I think Gary must work in the film business in some capacity because his viewpoint in this thread is weirdly biased.

Where's the famous rushgoober pragmatic negativity we see so often in the RUSH section? Rushgoober has no problem with pointing out Geddy Lee's vocal failings, why are these randomly named actors so shockingly above reproach?

confused13.gif

Does he expect his beloved actors to go criticism free while Gary Forsythe Rushgoober III disses a bunch of RUSH albums for the 356th time, a band he, presumably, used to be a fan of? Which is why he joined the site out of a sense of a false nostalgia? Shouldn't he be at the Backstage forum or something?

And why does rushgoober expect answers to his questions and yet he carefully selects which PART of a question he himself answers if he bothers to answer at all...

confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif

Rushgoober should avoid threads like this if he hates so fiercely to see his beloved acting chums dissed down so badly...

yes.gif

Make a final post Goober on this subject then move on I say, unless you have something else to contribute...like the names of a few actors who don't measure up. Give us the names and then leave...

Thank you.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 03:49 AM)

Nicolas Cage is still good, he just is often in crap movies. He was great in the National Treasure movies, even though the movies themselves were a bit spotty at times - they were still fun.

Keanu Reeves is not the best actor of all time by a long shot, but often for what's required of him he does a fine job, like in Parenthood and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Devil's Advocate. And the first Matrix is one of my favorite films ever - no, he's not the best actor on the planet, but I never watch The Matrix and wish it was someone else playing the part - I think he does a fine job - far better than just serviceable.

I think often people don't like some of these actors because either they're often in bad movies (which doesn't make them bad actors), or they don't like them personally (which still doesn't make them bad actors). Take Tom Cruise. Is he obnoxious? Yeah, he definitely can be for sure. That doesn't mean the 10-12 movies he was brilliant in from the 80's and 90's are suddenly bad movies or that his performances all of the sudden suck.

When I frist started to read posts in this thread I thought every actor in Hollywood and beyond was going to be named. laugh.gif

It's a shame Tom Cruise gets a bad rap because of all the dirt on him and his personal life that has been dug up has marred the publics opion of him and his acting ability. I agree off sceen I think he might be a nit wit, but on screen the guy continually shines. As much as I hate to say it, in most cases the guy is a great actor.

Keanu Reeves is just horrible....except in Bill and Ted and a couple others.

Nick Cage is just like Keanu Reeves. Every role is the same thing with a different script. I can't stand Nick Cage as a actor. I think he lost his acting ability when he did Con Air 062802puke_prv.gif . I haven't seen everyting he's done but from what I have he's terrible. He may have been good in national treasure, but those movies were so f'n horrible I wasn't able to notice anyones acting ability.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 25 2012, 03:25 AM)
I think Gary must work in the film business in some capacity because his viewpoint in this thread is weirdly biased.

Where's the famous rushgoober pragmatic negativity we see so often in the RUSH section? Rushgoober has no problem with pointing out Geddy Lee's vocal failings, why are these randomly named actors so shockingly above reproach?

confused13.gif

Does he expect his beloved actors to go criticism free while Gary Forsythe Rushgoober III disses a bunch of RUSH albums for the 356th time, a band he, presumably, used to be a fan of? Which is why he joined the site out of a sense of a false nostalgia? Shouldn't he be at the Backstage forum or something?

And why does rushgoober expect answers to his questions and yet he carefully selects which PART of a question he himself answers if he bothers to answer at all...

confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif

Rushgoober should avoid threads like this if he hates so fiercely to see his beloved acting chums dissed down so badly...

yes.gif

Make a final post Goober on this subject then move on I say, unless you have something else to contribute...like the names of a few actors who don't measure up. Give us the names and then leave...

Thank you.

trink39.gif

Dammmmmmnnnn!!!!

If Kubrick were making a movie with this kind of dialouge, the only fitting conclusion to such a statement would be....

Thus spake Zarathustra... 1287.gif Cue the Goober Monkeys z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 02:34 AM)

Goobs is 100% correct with this.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 25 2012, 01:25 AM)

confused13.gif

confused13.gif  confused13.gif  confused13.gif

yes.gif

Thank you.

trink39.gif

You don't always exactly answer everything I ask either.

Honestly, I can't think of actors/actresses that are consistently bad that are still in big budget movies. Yeah, there are tons of B (and C) movies out there that have really mediocre acting, but they're usually by mediocre unknown actors whose names I can't recall, and they tend not to stick around very long.

And who cares if I criticize Rush or some band or album? I tell it like it is for me - I give credit where I believe credit is due, and I'm always honest about it. With acting, I know it can be difficult to separate bad performances from bad writing or bad movies, but it's necessary to do, otherwise it's too easy to assume someone like Adam Sandler is a horrible actor just because he's in so many shitty movies. Then you see a movie like Punch Drunk Love or Funny People and you realize he actually can act when has some decent material to work with.

Similarly, I don't think Geddy Lee is a bad bass player because Presto and Test For Echo were sub-par albums. I don't think Alex Lifeson is a bad guitarist because he couldn't add in one guitar solo into the crappy Vapor Trails. Just because they've occasionally underachieved, or more accurately, made albums that weren't worthy of their legacy, doesn't mean they're bad musicians - you just can't always pick (or write) a winner.

Another one I can think of is Drew Barrymore. I used to think she was a really mediocre or bad actress, especially when she was a kid in movies like E.T. and Firestarter, etc., but she got better as she got older. Now I think she's really good, she's just rarely in great movies. Is she capable of an academy award type performance? I have no idea, as she's never in those kinds of movies.

But then you get another phenomena - women who are consistently in fluffier chick flick or just lighter romantic comedy kind of roles. Again, it's hard to judge how talented someone truly is in these kind of roles when their acting isn't truly challenged by superior writing. Sometimes these actresses can really surprise you though when they're finally in a movie that shows what they can do, like Julia Roberts in Erin Brokovich, or Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side, or Reese Witherspoon in Walk The Line.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 25 2012, 04:53 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 03:49 AM)

When I frist started to read posts in this thread I thought every actor in Hollywood and beyond was going to be named. laugh.gif

It's a shame Tom Cruise gets a bad rap because of all the dirt on him and his personal life that has been dug up has marred the publics opion of him and his acting ability. I agree off sceen I think he might be a nit wit, but on screen the guy continually shines. As much as I hate to say it, in most cases the guy is a great actor.

Keanu Reeves is just horrible....except in Bill and Ted and a couple others.

Nick Cage is just like Keanu Reeves. Every role is the same thing with a different script. I can't stand Nick Cage as a actor. I think he lost his acting ability when he did Con Air 062802puke_prv.gif . I haven't seen everyting he's done but from what I have he's terrible. He may have been good in national treasure, but those movies were so f'n horrible I wasn't able to notice anyones acting ability.

I agree with almost everything you've said.

I'm not crazy about Tom Cruise on a personal level, but that doesn't mean he suddenly sucks as an actor. Some people won't see anything he's in anymore because they can't separate their personal feelings for the man from his acting. I would say that's a shame, but honestly, he's rarely in anything I want to see these days anyway, but when I have caught a more recent movie of his, like say War of the Worlds, he's still great - it's just the movie that was really mediocre. He was in SO many great movies for a lot of years, however, and he was amazing in them.

Keanu Reeves is not a great actor. He's obviously limited (his performance in Much Ado About Nothing is an example of him going outside of his range and failing), but he's not terrible either. Doesn't everyone love the first Matrix? Do people think the movie would have been better with someone else? Honestly, I love that movie and his acting never crosses my mind as something that needed to be improved upon.

And unfortunately for Nicolas Cage, once he started to get seriously recognized and won an Oscar, he started often choosing roles that were beneath his abilities because of the large paycheck attached, and Con-Air was EXACTLY where that started. He wasn't bad, the movie was. His choices since then have often been terrible. He's still the same actor, just rarely challenged like he was on a movie like Leaving Las Vegas or Adaptation so you can't see how good he really is.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 25 2012, 06:14 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2012, 03:36 AM)

Hayden Christensen was NOT great in the Star Wars movies, but then again, Lucas's dialogue was so bad at times that he can only share partial blame.

yes.gif

"You underestimate my POOOOOOOOWERRRRRRR!"

Man, he REALLY should have called it quits on the Star Wars franchise after the original trilogy.

There were tons of great ideas in the prequels, and of course the special effects were stellar, but he really needed to have someone rewrite them, and fix the dialogue, as well as have someone else direct the movies - they could have been something truly great.

Oh, and there you go Treeduck - examples of bad acting - Jake Lloyd as the young Anakin Skywalker in the The Phantom Menace - 062802puke_prv.gif . Similarly, the woman who played his mother was also atrocious in that movie. With all that money he had to work with, and with actors like Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor on board, you'd think he would have exercised some quality control over some of these other casting choices, but man! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 25 2012, 07:47 AM)
Leonardo DiCaprio.

facepalm.gif

People give this guy a bad rap because of Titanic. He was great in that. No, the dialogue wasn't always, or even often that good, but that didn't mean he didn't do a great job with what he had to work with.

Even so, take Titanic out of the picture and you still have:

Inception

Gangs of New York

The Aviator

Revolutionary Road

Catch Me If You Can

The Basketball Diaries

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Blood Diamond

And there are other movies that weren't necessarily as great, like The Beach or The Departed, that still had great acting from him.

I'm sorry, but Leonardo DiCaprio can ACT.

Edited by rushgoober