Is Clockwork Angels Rush's farewell?

That One Guy

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 23 2012, 08:25 AM)
I think we'll very well know when its their Farewell album. I believe RUSH will just come out and say that infamous line" This will be our last studio album and the following will be our Farwell to Fans tour!"

fists crying.gif

I have the exact opposite belief. They've said that they have no current plans to stop or slow down. They'll give 110% effort to this tour, and then assess how they feel after they take their normal break. Then, they will decide if they're up for another album and/or tour. Nothing will be decided in advance.

They'll quit without doing a farewell tour.

Only the future knows...... cool.gif

Edited by Workaholic Man

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 23 2012, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 23 2012, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Aug 23 2012, 06:17 AM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 22 2012, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Aug 22 2012, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 22 2012, 02:29 PM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Aug 22 2012, 06:51 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Aug 22 2012, 06:48 PM)
no.gif

no.gif no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

c-c-c-combo breaker!

Edited by rushgoober

I dunno, I don't think to think about it too much. I've been thinking each album since 1997 might be their last.

And I *really* thought Test For Echo was gonna be it, the last studio album. I thought Different Stages was going to be the last "official" Rush release, barring some record company greatest-hits-package money grab later on. I was thinking "No way, Neil is done. He's gonna retire." and I could not have blamed him at all if he did. Everything since then has kind of been a bonus.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 23 2012, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 23 2012, 10:47 AM)
no.gif

no.gif no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

c-c-c-combo breaker!

You silly goob. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Aug 23 2012, 07:15 PM)
I dunno, I don't think to think about it too much. I've been thinking each album since 1997 might be their last.

And I *really* thought Test For Echo was gonna be it, the last studio album. I thought Different Stages was going to be the last "official" Rush release, barring some record company greatest-hits-package money grab later on. I was thinking "No way, Neil is done. He's gonna retire." and I could not have blamed him at all if he did. Everything since then has kind of been a bonus.

This is an excellent attitude to have for a person that was an adult during those times. But i was four when this stuff happened to Neil. I can't really relate. I never had to watch the band go on hiatus.

I DO consider everything beyond now as a bonus though. Albeit an expected bonus.

Whenever the last tour is, they should really pull out all the stops. Like, full Xanadu and partial Hemispheres or something.

You know...I used to think that every album was their last...until S&A. Now they are just in a groove, and I think they have at least one more left in them.

And I don't think they are ever going to officially retire. I think they enjoy playing together, and will in some capacity until they no longer can play at a level that they are happy with.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 23 2012, 12:47 PM)
no.gif

no.gif no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif

no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

c-c-c-combo reinstate-r

I suspect there will be a 2014 40th anniversary tour, and that they will take a break and then come back with one more tour around 2016-2017, probably with a new album as well. They won't call that a farewell tour at the time but I suspect it will be the last.

It seems like for as long as I've been really a fan of Rush (around age 14 with Grace Under Pressure release), with each new release I hear some speculation or rumor that it is to be their last. It is funny that even back then, when Power Windows came out, they had been around what seemed like a very long time and had enough albums for people to speculate that they would be hanging it up soon. And there will always be some track on the album that might, if you are looking for it, seem like some kind of swan song moment.

So, yes, one day the speculation will be right. Even a broken watch is right twice a day. I just think it is funny how long I've been hearing it.

If it is their last, I am glad they have not made that announcement. How many times have music fans heard the "this is our last....." to only find out differently? What a joke that is....

RUSH - I hope you go out into the night with style and class.

2.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Aug 30 2012, 03:28 PM)
If it is their last, I am glad they have not made that announcement. How many times have music fans heard the "this is our last....." to only find out differently? What a joke that is....

2.gif

From Power Player Magazine

New albums, huge world tours ... will Rush ever call it a day?

"Well, we were supposed to slow down a little while ago." he laughs. "I recall sitting with my wife one time and saying 'You know what? I think it's time that we slowed this whole thing down a little' and then it went and accelerated again!" he laughs.

"We have this tour that will finish some time next summer, I guess, and I know that we all enjoyed making this record so much that I'm sure I'll get together with Geddy; we live five minutes from each over, always have, and I don't see us taking an extended break at this late stage of the game.

Maybe in the winter or early 2014 we'll get together and start throwing some ideas around. We're riding this wave right now and it's hard to say what offers or opportunities might come our way.

I don't see any reason why we'd stop right now."

I do think that after this tour, I probably will put Rush aside for awhile if not permanently. I'm ready for something new and different.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 30 2012, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Aug 30 2012, 03:28 PM)
If it is their last, I am glad they have not made that announcement.  How many times have music fans heard the "this is our last....." to only find out differently?  What a joke that is....

2.gif

From Power Player Magazine

New albums, huge world tours ... will Rush ever call it a day?

"Well, we were supposed to slow down a little while ago." he laughs. "I recall sitting with my wife one time and saying 'You know what? I think it's time that we slowed this whole thing down a little' and then it went and accelerated again!" he laughs.

"We have this tour that will finish some time next summer, I guess, and I know that we all enjoyed making this record so much that I'm sure I'll get together with Geddy; we live five minutes from each over, always have, and I don't see us taking an extended break at this late stage of the game.

Maybe in the winter or early 2014 we'll get together and start throwing some ideas around. We're riding this wave right now and it's hard to say what offers or opportunities might come our way.

I don't see any reason why we'd stop right now."

At 5 years per album, I'd say they've already slowed down! tongue.gif laugh.gif

I'm not writing them off just yet, but I do think everything we get at this point is icing on the cake. Let's just enjoy 2.gif in the here-and-now while they ARE still active, eh? wink.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 30 2012, 03:33 PM)
I do think that after this tour, I probably will put Rush aside for awhile if not permanently. I'm ready for something new and different.

That's the saddest statement I've read in a while. While I certainly need to back off from an overdose of Rush once in a while, I will NEVER give them a permanent vacation. The Rush catalog is far too diverse and reaching to ever become boring.

Prior to the release of the album I stated clearly, on more than 1 occasion, that I thought this album was it. That the guys would tour this year, take a year off and do a R40 tour and that would really be it (with DVD's of this tour and the R40 tour plus - perhaps, if we got very lucky - some CD's / DVD's of some old tours, assuming that they have some of those in the archives that have never been released). This thinking was based on (1) family situations (Neil not wanting to miss out on his little one growing up) (2) general age (3) CA being a theme album which I took to be a tip of the hat to the long time prog rock Rush fans out there, a flip of something else to the critics and a way of telling everybody "We are going out, we will reward our long time fans with an album like we used to make way back when, the sort of album you have been hoping to get one last time from us. Oh, and the folks at the Rock and Roll hall of Shame and the critics, this is what we think of you - don't like it, to bad - we have always done what we wanted to do, made the music we like and we care about the music and the fans, not you." Finally (4) the condition of Geddy's voice which, IMHO, has been getting noticeably worse from the R30 tour, to the S &A tour and then much worse again during the TMT.

My thoughts on this have changed a bit given the quality of the album, the state of Geddy's voice on this tour (best I have heard since R30, perhaps even since VT) and some of their comments about still liking what they are doing. Now I think they will take a break after the end of the tour next year. We will then be lucky enough to get a CD / DVD of the tour and then I would consider it possible we may be lucky enough to get one more album and perhaps another tour out of them. Then of course a CD / DVD of the tour and, if we are lucky and their is something in the vaults, we might get some CD / DVD of some real old work. I still only think its a 50 - 50 shot that we will get another album and tour. But thats way up from what I thought prior to the release of CA and the tour. Back than it was 0% likely that we would get anything more.

Pity albums don't make much for groups. If they did i would have given it about a 70% shot that we might get an album and no tour. The guys really do seem to have a lot of creative juice left. Its just that an album without a tour wont do much and touring is just not their thing. Just can't see an album and no tour.

Lets hope for more but I am still not optimistic that we will get it. Just not as pessimistic as I used to be.

I am with the above poster in many regards. It's always ideal to go out on top, the band is playing epically and I cannot honestly see how they can be better nor can we fans be more wowed. I can see them taking some time of in 2013 (we will have the new DVD to tide us over) and the R40 tour could be the end, 40 years is a long time for any band to stay together and they have nothing to prove by going further. Their song and disc catalog will be long-enamored by their fans and their music will be long-sought after for listening years after they are retired, not dissimilar to what we experienced with Led Zeppelin or The Who, classic and quality music never goes out of style nor is it forgotten. No fancy reunion gigs ten years down the road to cash in like so many other older bands, they will know when it's time and do it......

Got to agree with Superbaldguy on this one. The group is on top right now and The Garden is a very effective farewell song. For that matter, the combo of Headlong Flight, BU2B2, Wish Them Well and The Garden is a very effective string of farewell songs (IMO).

Totally agree with them not doing any reunion gigs down the road. Big question is will they announce it up front (i.e. announce something like "This is going to be our final show. We will be filming it and then we are done. We do not plan on ever touring again.")? Or will they just play a final show and at the end of the show announce that it was their last show? Or will they announce after the tour is done with (be it this one or an R40 tour) that they are done with touring. Or will they just stop and eventually put out something? Or will they just stop? I don't see the last since it would leave everybody hanging. Between the other choices I am really not certain.

Thoughts on that one folks??