Are The Re-Masters Worth Buying

Snowdog

Are the Re-Masters released last month worth buying if you already have the cd?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Re-Masters released last month worth buying if you already have the cd?

• Yes, they are worth it. They made some nice changes
    • No, save your money, it's really not that different
    • Some are, some aren't

I have not bought the recently released re-masters as I already have these on cd. For those that have bought them, in your personal opinion is it worth it to spend the $ on the remasters when you already have the cd?

I've sounded off on this before wink.gif, but I had to vote "some are, some aren't." However, I should clarify that to me, Presto sounds only SLIGHTLY better in some spots...no change at all (to me) in others...Counterparts didn't need it, but I bought it anyway (mindless American consumer that I am biggrin.gif). RTB, T4E...again, no huge changes...maybe some slight improvement.

Bottom line? If you're a fan, you'll probably end up buying these just to see for yourself, but there is no HUGE improvement....especially with Presto. sad.gif

Being a sound engineer and studio owner, I am a big fan of 'remastered' stuff. I don't have these new recordings yet but I would love to compare them to the originals. Especially if the newer recordings were remastered, because the past few cd's were 'poorly' mastered to begin with. I still love them though, it's just hard to listen to the newer cd's for more than 1 play!

Mike

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 25 2004, 01:32 PM)
Being a sound engineer and studio owner, I am a big fan of 'remastered' stuff. I don't have these new recordings yet but I would love to compare them to the originals. Especially if the newer recordings were remastered, because the past few cd's were 'poorly' mastered to begin with. I still love them though, it's just hard to listen to the newer cd's for more than 1 play!

Mike

Welcome to the Rush Forum, Mike...wow, I can't wait to hear an expert opinion on these remasters. I'll be looking forward to what you have to say!

Enjoy the board!

~GG

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 25 2004, 02:32 PM)

Mike

Welcome Mike smile.gif I agree GG, that it will be interesting to get the opinion of a professional in this regard. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 25 2004, 03:39 PM)

Mike

Welcome to the Rush Forum, Mike...wow, I can't wait to hear an expert opinion on these remasters. I'll be looking forward to what you have to say!

Enjoy the board!

~GG

yes.gif What she said! smile.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 25 2004, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 25 2004, 03:39 PM)

Mike

Enjoy the board!

~GG

yes.gif What she said! smile.gif trink39.gif

Yeah, what they said, Mike trink39.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I will share my findings as soon as all the data is in.

You'll all be interested to know that I'm currently working on a flash movie of the band. It's coming along pretty well and I hope to be able to show it off in a week or so. It's pretty large.

Oh, if anyone has any photos you think I might not have, email them to me. I have already used over 100 pics in this movie I'm making and it's only half finished. I'm running out of content!

Mike

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 27 2004, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 27 2004, 06:54 AM)
As of now, the poll results are 2 votes each, so I still don't know whether or not to buy these things  laugh.gif

Lol, same here. For now I'm gonna hold off on it.

Me too. To be honest, these are not one's I listen to with a great deal of regularity so, I'll wait. Now, VT on the other hand, I'll be standing at the door the day it comes out 1022.gif

Howdy all. Seems like an older topic (at least before my time which is still in its infancy).

I don't have any of the recently remastered discs. It seems to me they sound fine already (Sorry Mike. I'm NOT a sound engineer - although I wish I had that knowledge and expertise). biggrin.gif

Does anyone hear a huge difference in these remasters? To put it in perspective... I think there are HUGE sound changes in the Power Windows and Hold Your Fire remasters and definitely for the better. Will I get that same benefit in Presto/RTB/CP/T4E?

Thanks,

GP

My Presto and Roll The Bones arrived via Amazon yesterday, and I find the improvement really good. Having said that, they are replacing cassette tapes that were bought in the week of release, so a remastered CD would knock seven shades of how's your father out of 15+ year old cassettes!.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Oct 28 2004, 02:09 PM)
My Presto and Roll The Bones arrived via Amazon yesterday, and I find the improvement really good. Having said that, they are replacing cassette tapes that were bought in the week of release, so a remastered CD would knock seven shades of how's your father out of 15+ year old cassettes!.

"Seven shades of how's your father" icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I just love getting know you folks from across the pond. smile.gif

QUOTE (Neil Bird @ Oct 28 2004, 03:09 PM)
1022.gif
Hi Mike, I sent you a picture from the Pinkpop concert in Geleen in the Netherlands, back in 1979. Rush was headlining there at the festival. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Oops, something went wrong. This message should be a reply to another entry. Sorry! ohmy.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (Neil Bird @ Oct 28 2004, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Neil Bird @ Oct 28 2004, 03:09 PM)
1022.gif
Hi Mike, I sent you a picture from the Pinkpop concert in Geleen in the Netherlands, back in 1979. Rush was headlining there at the festival. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Oops, something went wrong. This message should be a reply to another entry. Sorry! ohmy.gif confused13.gif

wacko.gif

Must have been working too hard today. I'm making mistakes with entry's. Better log off and listen to 2.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 28 2004, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Oct 28 2004, 02:09 PM)

"Seven shades of how's your father" icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I just love getting know you folks from across the pond. smile.gif

GhostGirl, I've got more quirky sayings than you could shake a stick at!!.

Archived