Are The Re-Masters Worth Buying

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Are the Re-Masters released last month worth buying if you already have the cd? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Are the Re-Masters released last month worth buying if you already have the cd?

1. Yes, they are worth it. They made some nice changes (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, save your money, it's really not that different (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Some are, some aren't (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Snowdog

Snowdog

In a van...DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!

• 8805 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 06:50 AM

I have not bought the recently released re-masters as I already have these on cd. For those that have bought them, in your personal opinion is it worth it to spend the $ on the remasters when you already have the cd?  

Sponsored Post

#2 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
  • Interests:It was what I was born for —
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:42 AM

I've sounded off on this before wink.gif, but I had to vote "some are, some aren't."  However, I should clarify that to me, Presto sounds only SLIGHTLY better in some spots...no change at all (to me) in others...Counterparts didn't need it, but I bought it anyway (mindless American consumer that I am biggrin.gif).  RTB, T4E...again, no huge changes...maybe some slight improvement.

Bottom line?  If you're a fan, you'll probably end up buying these just to see for yourself, but there is no HUGE improvement....especially with Presto. sad.gif

#3 launchpad67a

launchpad67a

Armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

• 4189 posts
  • Interests:Professional musician, web designer, sound engineer, studio owner, licensed pyrotechnician.
    I am also an avid golfer, drinker and smoker.

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:32 PM

Being a sound engineer and studio owner, I am a big fan of 'remastered' stuff. I don't have these new recordings yet but I would love to compare them to the originals. Especially if the newer recordings were remastered, because the past few cd's were 'poorly' mastered to begin with. I still love them though, it's just hard to listen to the newer cd's for more than 1 play!

Mike

#4 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 25 2004, 01:32 PM)
Being a sound engineer and studio owner, I am a big fan of 'remastered' stuff. I don't have these new recordings yet but I would love to compare them to the originals. Especially if the newer recordings were remastered, because the past few cd's were 'poorly' mastered to begin with. I still love them though, it's just hard to listen to the newer cd's for more than 1 play!

Mike

Welcome to the Rush Forum, Mike...wow, I can't wait to hear an expert opinion on these remasters.  I'll be looking forward to what you have to say!

Enjoy the board!

~GG

#5 LakesideMaiden

LakesideMaiden

Geddy's Bard

• Members *
  • 11564 posts
  • Interests:Rush.....um......Rush.....and.....um.......Rush......oh yeah, and RUSH! Other than that, I play the guitar, sing, love most kinds of music, including country (I sing that professionally), love photography, art, and hockey.

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 25 2004, 02:32 PM)

Mike

Welcome Mike smile.gif  I agree GG, that it will be interesting to get the opinion of a professional in this regard.   laugh.gif  

#6 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

The Hailing Administrator

• Admin
  • 21838 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Music, Golf, Astronomy

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 25 2004, 03:39 PM)

Mike

Welcome to the Rush Forum, Mike...wow, I can't wait to hear an expert opinion on these remasters.  I'll be looking forward to what you have to say!

Enjoy the board!

~GG

yes.gif  What she said! smile.gif    trink39.gif  

#7 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

• Admin
  • 21838 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:41 PM

Counterparts Remastered

Presto Remastered

Roll The Bones Remastered

Test For Echo Remastered

#8 Snowdog

Snowdog

• 8805 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 25 2004, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 25 2004, 03:39 PM)

Mike

Enjoy the board!

~GG

yes.gif  What she said! smile.gif    trink39.gif

Yeah, what they said, Mike  trink39.gif  

#9 launchpad67a

launchpad67a

Armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

• 4189 posts
  • Interests:Professional musician, web designer, sound engineer, studio owner, licensed pyrotechnician.
    I am also an avid golfer, drinker and smoker.

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I will share my findings as soon as all the data is in.

You'll all  be interested to know that I'm currently working on a flash movie of the band. It's coming along pretty well and I hope to be able to show it off in a week or so. It's pretty large.

Oh, if anyone has any photos you think I might not have, email them to me. I have already used over 100 pics in this movie I'm making and it's only half finished. I'm running out of content!

Mike

Edited by launchpad67a, 25 September 2004 - 05:52 PM.

#10 Snowdog

Snowdog

• 8805 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:54 AM

As of now, the poll results are 2 votes each, so I still don't know whether or not to buy these things  laugh.gif  

#11 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 27 2004, 06:54 AM)
As of now, the poll results are 2 votes each, so I still don't know whether or not to buy these things  laugh.gif

Lol, same here.  For now I'm gonna hold off on it.

#12 Snowdog

Snowdog

• 8805 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 27 2004, 10:58 AM)
As of now, the poll results are 2 votes each, so I still don't know whether or not to buy these things  laugh.gif

Me too. To be honest, these are not one's I listen to with a great deal of regularity so, I'll wait. Now, VT on the other hand, I'll be standing at the door the day it comes out  1022.gif  

#13 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

• Admin
  • 21838 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 27 2004, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 27 2004, 10:58 AM)
As of now, the poll results are 2 votes each, so I still don't know whether or not to buy these things laugh.gif

Me too. To be honest, these are not one's I listen to with a great deal of regularity so, I'll wait. Now, VT on the other hand, I'll be standing at the door the day it comes out  1022.gif

yes.gif  me too.  I am surprised they didn't bite the bullet and remaster this one immediately.  It is the worst one of all IMO.

#14 Dave

Dave

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:19 PM

Hi Mike,

As a studio engineer, what did you think of this article?

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/...6256C2E005DAF1C

I first posted it under another thread on these remasters:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=438&st=10

Dave

#15 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:45 AM

Howdy all.  Seems like an older topic (at least before my time which is still in its infancy).

I don't have any of the recently remastered discs.  It seems to me they sound fine already (Sorry Mike.  I'm NOT a sound engineer - although I wish I had that knowledge and expertise).  biggrin.gif

Does anyone hear a huge difference in these remasters?  To put it in perspective... I think there are HUGE sound changes in the Power Windows and Hold Your Fire remasters and definitely for the better.  Will I get that same benefit in Presto/RTB/CP/T4E?

Thanks,
GP

#16 madra sneachta

madra sneachta

Dirk Gently

• Members *
  • 7372 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:09 PM

My Presto and Roll The Bones arrived via Amazon yesterday, and I find the improvement really good. Having said that, they are replacing cassette tapes that were bought in the week of release, so a remastered CD would knock seven shades of how's your father out of 15+ year old cassettes!.

#17 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Oct 28 2004, 02:09 PM)
My Presto and Roll The Bones arrived via Amazon yesterday, and I find the improvement really good. Having said that, they are replacing cassette tapes that were bought in the week of release, so a remastered CD would knock seven shades of how's your father out of 15+ year old cassettes!.

"Seven shades of how's your father"  icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I just love getting know you folks from across the pond. smile.gif

#18 Neil Bird

Neil Bird

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar playing, running, my wife&kids, reading

Posted 28 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

1022.gif
Hi Mike, I sent you a picture from the Pinkpop concert in Geleen in the Netherlands, back in 1979. Rush was headlining there at the festival. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  

#19 Neil Bird

Neil Bird

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Neil Bird @ Oct 28 2004, 03:09 PM)
1022.gif
Hi Mike, I sent you a picture from the Pinkpop concert in Geleen in the Netherlands, back in 1979. Rush was headlining there at the festival. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Oops, something went wrong. This message should be a reply to another entry. Sorry! ohmy.gif  confused13.gif  

#20 Neil Bird

Neil Bird

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Neil Bird @ Oct 28 2004, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Neil Bird @ Oct 28 2004, 03:09 PM)
1022.gif

Oops, something went wrong. This message should be a reply to another entry. Sorry! ohmy.gif  confused13.gif

wacko.gif
Must have been working too hard today. I'm making mistakes with entry's. Better log off and listen to  2.gif  cool10.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users