Fly by Night

Power Windows

Rush

Roll the Bones

Caress of Steel

Vapor Trails

Hold Your Fire

Test for Echo

CoS in your bottom 5--- I guess we can't be froinds ... ;)

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

A Farewell to Kings

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Hemispheres

Signals

Snakes and Arrows

Counterparts

Presto

Fly by Night

Power Windows

Rush

Roll the Bones

Caress of Steel

Vapor Trails

Hold Your Fire

Test for Echo

dead to me

I'd have to go thusly:

1) Permenant Waves

2) Moving Pictures

3) 2112

Everything after is subjective....as long as Echo is last.

sensible. :yes:

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

A Farewell to Kings

Clockwork Angels

Grace Under Pressure

Hemispheres

Signals

Snakes and Arrows

Counterparts

Presto

Fly by Night

Power Windows

Rush

Roll the Bones

Caress of Steel

Vapor Trails

Hold Your Fire

Test for Echo

dead to me

:zzz:

I can do my bottom 5 easy:

The worst:

Test For Echo

The very good, but need to be in the mood for:

Snakes And Arrows

Clockwork Angels

Power Windows

And then the last of the bottom five is a great album that took years to grow on me:

Signals

After that, I love it all to varying degrees.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

The worst:

Test For Echo

Snakes And Arrows

Clockwork Angels

Power Windows

And then the last of the bottom five is a great album that took years to grow on me:

Signals

I like your bottom five... Mine is just a little bit different:

Pretty bad--- RTB

Getting really bad--- Presto

Really bad-T4Music

Awful-S&A

Threw up in my mouth-VT

The worst:

Test For Echo

Snakes And Arrows

Clockwork Angels

Power Windows

Signals

Pretty bad--- RTB

Really bad-T4Music

Awful-S&A

Threw up in my mouth-VT

See, I love Vapor Trails, Presto and Roll The Bones. Snakes And Arrows is far from perfect but I do like the first five songs (then it gets really samey).

Clockwork Angels...sometimes I love it but mostly I think its very bland and meandering.

The worst:

Test For Echo

Snakes And Arrows

Clockwork Angels

Power Windows

Signals

Pretty bad--- RTB

Really bad-T4Music

Awful-S&A

Threw up in my mouth-VT

See, I love Vapor Trails, Presto and Roll The Bones. Snakes And Arrows is far from perfect but I do like the first five songs (then it gets really samey).

Clockwork Angels...sometimes I love it but mostly I think its very bland and meandering.

Presto- I like "Show Don't Tell". RTB- "Bravado" is great. S&A- Perhaps I can listen to a few songs, but am not enamored with any of them. VT- Just no for me...I can't even listen to it anymore. As for CA, I used to loathe it, now I love it. Go figure...

To each their own but I watched two recent Youtube vids last night of "Rush albums ranked worst to best" by two different people and both had HYF as the worst ("too 80s synth") and Snakes ranked much too high. One was describing it as energetic which is bogus because its one midtempo bore after another once Far Cry ends.
  • Like 1

To each their own but I watched two recent Youtube vids last night of "Rush albums ranked worst to best" by two different people and both had HYF as the worst ("too 80s synth") and Snakes ranked much too high. One was describing it as energetic which is bogus because its one midtempo bore after another once Far Cry ends.

I agree as to the S&A assessment, but HYF is certainly nowhere near the worst...

Except for Second Nature Tai Shan and High Water, HYF would be a perfect album for that era of the band. Its so much warmer sounding than the cold sterile GUP & PoW before it

I often find my inner voice second-guessing Dirk, Lerxst and Pratt with questions like, "Why did they write a song like that?" or "Why did they include those songs on this album?" or "Why didn't they play more like (insert dumb thought) on this album?"... Invariably, my second voice chimes back, "Well, do you think you could have done better?".... always immediately followed by a disembodied third voice... "What, are you both morons?" ;)
  • Like 1

Except for Second Nature Tai Shan and High Water, HYF would be a perfect album for that era of the band. Its so much warmer sounding than the cold sterile GUP & PoW before it

I was playing it the other day from beginning to end and when it was over my wife said, "That's a really good album."
  • Like 1

I was playing it the other day from beginning to end and when it was over my wife said, "That's a really good album."

So, it's basically RUSH's chick album.
  • Like 2

lolol

Could be! :yes:

I disagree that GUP and PoW are sterile, but you are dead-on with those three songs bringing HYF down--I would even say they soiled the whole HYF album experience for me as those are arguably their 3 worst songs. Geddy was right, they went too far with the shynth pop on this album. If there were 3 other songs more in line with the rest of HYF or PoW instead of Shit Nature, Tai Shit and Shit Water, HYF would be one of their better albums, but holy crap those songs suck.

Its impossible to listen to a TOTALLY wussy creampuff song like Second Nature with fruity lyrics like "now I lay me down in dreamland" and not go into shock realizing this is the same band who wrote such kick you in the ass songs like Anthem, 2112, Something For Nothing, Cygnus X1, etc etc...

At least they started getting their mojo back on Presto. The opening riff to Show Don't Tell has more testosterone in it than all of HYF combined lol

At least they started getting their mojo back on Presto. The opening riff to Show Don't Tell has more testosterone in it than all of HYF combined lol

"Show Don't Tell" is one of my all-time Rush favorites. I hit every tour from R30 to R40, but, alas, they never played that one.

It lasted three tours: Presto, RTB and Counterparts

Geddy years later in an interview didn't seem to miss performing it. Mentioned the constant switching between bass and keys

Interesting. Do you know why they dropped "Fly By Night" after 1978?

Agree about HYF, Second Nature makes me think of that cheesy song You can thank your lucky Stars. My wife's fave albums are Fly by Night and Caress of Steel but she hates Roll the Bones and Show don't Tell. Personally I find the Yin and Yang albums; Counterparts and Test for Echo hard going.