Rank the Rush Albums

pdurbin22

http://www.progarchives.com/wallpapers/RUSHCOLLAGE.jpg

Grace Under Pressure....first RUSH show of 3, first RUSH album, with RSA my favorite song.

2112=.......CLASSIC!....I have a love for Twilight Zone

Permanent Waves.....finding their way to their prime...great album

Power Windows....Mystic Rhythm....is a classic...I don't know how I underestimated this album do much along with the one below.

Signals...I can't get Countdown out of mind....the imagery of take off is perfect

Vapor Trails....the tour I saw the most 6 times...with Earthshine my favorite

Exit Stage Left...will always be my favorite live album

Moving Pictures....for me TCE makes this album

Clockwork Angels.....over time this album will be regarded as a classic...The Garden is some of NPs best lyrics.

Hemispheres....LVS....keeps this album near the top

Counterparts....the only tour I've missed since GUP of 49 shows, another underestimated album that slipped under my radar.

All The Worlds Stage

A Farewell To Kings....Xanadu And Cinderella Man for me is the savior of this album

Caress Of Steel

Hold Your Fire....great album cover, one of my most enjoyable tours

Rush In Rio....great visuals seeing the band play in front of so many.

Test For Echo.....I think we did something of the top 25 songs TFE has to be included.

RUSH

Different Stages....I can't find where I put this one

Presto

Fly By Night

A Show Of Hands....never liked the way they played RSA it seem speeded up compared to the GUP Tour.

Roll The Bones

Feedback

Snakes & Arrows....never liked this album then and now after repeated listenings I dislike it even more. It's hard for me to listen it just doesn't work for me. Maybe due to me liking VT so much. The top 12 may never change but the middle down probably will over time.

Some of the albums back in the time they came out I liked I now dislike SOMEWHAT and others vice versa. I'm getting old and my musical likings has changed quite a bit when it comes to RUSH. Also I'm sure I left out some lives albums on the list somewhere.

1. Blah

2. Blah

3. Blah

4. Blah

5. Blah

6. Blah

7. Blah

8. Blah

9. Blah

10. Blah

11. Blah

12. Blah

13. Blah

14. Blah

15. Blah

16. Blah

17. Blah

18. Blah

19. Blah

1. Blah

2. Blah

3. Blah

4. Blah

5. Blah

6. Blah

7. Blah

8. Blah

9. Blah

10. Blah

11. Blah

12. Blah

13. Blah

14. Blah

15. Blah

16. Blah

17. Blah

18. Blah

19. Blah

No Blahback?

• Like 3

1. Hemispheres - The height of the conceptual period. The songs are strong, and the playing is unmatched.

2. 2112 - One of the greatest songs every, complimented by 5 very good to amazing songs.

3. Caress of Steel - A critical and commercial failure, this album holds a special place in my heart. With one foot in the past, the band rocked out with two great songs. With one foot in the future they try the dark and beautifully ambitious Necromancer and Fountain.

4. Moving Pictures - Hit after hit after hit. Red Barchetta is like a little movie, and I'll never get tired of that song.

5. Fly By Night - Early and raw, with light and shade. Hints of brilliance to come in other fields, while mastering the hard rock/metal genre.

6. Clockwork Angels - Power and beauty. No album rocks much harder, and no album has more beautiful songs.

7. Farewell to Kings - Great songs, great subtlety, great lyrics. Only Cygnus X-1, the band's worst (but still ok) concept song drags this album down to #7.

8. Permanent Waves - A great and ambitious new start for the band, Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder aren't the band's best work, but they are still good.

9. Roll the Bones - After 3 disappointing albums (and many would argue 5), RTB corrects the mistakes of Presto, adding better songs to go with the return to guitar sound.

10. Signals - For many, the start of a period of decline for the band. The album only has one weak song, though, even if it only had a couple of great ones.

11. Test for Echo - Correcting the embarrassing mistakes of Counterparts, this album sees Rush back in fine form with a focus on good songs.

12. Vapor Trails - Bad production can't hide very good songs. The album is weighed down by a lack of variety and excessive length, and that the album's worst two songs were released as the signals and played live. Rush never rocked harder than this.

13. Rush - The original still kicks much ass, giving a glimpse at the power of the band. In retrospect, you can see the skill and diversity that would become Rush staples, but at the time, it's impossible to think the band would be where it was a mere two years later.

14. Grace Under Pressure - The band retains some of the power of its earlier days, though layers in interesting themes and a ton of synths.

15. Snakes & Arrows - 4 great songs, including the best song of the 2000's, can't wipe away the fact that the band was mired in mid-tempo trudges that went nowhere. Still, the clean sound, good lyrics, and inarguable highs make this an album worth enjoying.

16. Power Windows - 4 amazing songs and 2 good ones and two not so good ones. The first album where not great songs equal the great ones.

17. Hold Your Fire - Much maligned, this album was more ambitious than it seems. The band stretches to new themes, sometimes succeeding, but often with just ok results.

18. Presto - A commercial low-point for the band, in their first effort to shed the synths the band had lost the focus on song writing.

19. Counterparts - An almost embarrassing effort by the band. Rush's return to a harder, grunge sound completely forgot to bring the songs and lyrics. With only one great song, and very few very good ones, there's not much to like here other than a return of the hard guitars, a fact that obscures objective evaluation of this album by the hard core fans. The lyrics show why Peart doesn't tackle love.

I think my list would look quite different today.

OK, three years later time for a mulligan:

1. Caress of Steel

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. Moving Pictures

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Permanent Waves

7. Fly By Night

8. A Farewell to Kings

9. Test for Echo

10. Roll the Bones

11. Vapor Trails

12. Rush

13. Grace Under Pressure

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Signals

16. Presto

17. Power Windows

18. Snakes & Arrows

19. Counterparts

Unfortunately, you played your mulligan and placed Caress of Steel first. That's like slicing your tee shot into the woods, teeing up another ball, and tapping it off the tee two feet. Now you have to play that one. With T4E and C of S both in your top 10. Yikes.

You love Power Windows, Signals and GuP....I'm pretty sure I don't need your musical advice.

Check your list. You do.

I ranked PoW 12th, incidentally.

Well, if we're going that way…

T1. Moving Pictures (1981)

BEST: Limelight

WORST: Tom Sawyer

T1. Permanent Waves (1980*)

BEST: The Spirit of Radio

WORST: Different Strings

*still a '70s album ;)

3. Clockwork Angels (2012)

BEST: Headlong Flight

WORST: Seven Cities of Gold

4. Vapor Trails (2002)

BEST: One Little Victory

WORST: The Stars Look Down

5. 2112 (1976)

BEST: 2112

WORST: Lessons

6. Counterparts (1993)

BEST: Animate

WORST: The Speed of Love

7. Hold Your Fire (1987)

BEST: Lock and Key

WORST: High Water

8. Power Windows (1985)

BEST: Marathon

WORST: Emotion Detector

9. Grace Under Pressure (1984)

BEST: Red Sector A

WORST: The Body Electric

10. Signals (1982)

BEST: Subdivisions

WORST: Chemistry

11. A Farewell to Kings (1977)

BEST: Xanadu :wub:

WORST: Cinderella Man

12. Presto (1989)

BEST: Show Don't Tell

WORST: Anagram (for Mongo)

13. Hemispheres (1978)

BEST: La Villa Strangiato

WORST: Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

14. Roll the Bones (1991)

BEST: Dreamline

WORST: You Bet Your Life

15. Fly By Night (1975)

BEST: Anthem

WORST: In the End

16. Snakes & Arrows (2007)

BEST: Far Cry

WORST: Good News First

17. Test for Echo (1996)

BEST: Resist

WORST: Carve Away the Stone

18. :rush: (1974)

BEST: Working Man

WORST: Need Some Love

19. Caress of Steel (1975)

BEST: Bastille Day

WORST: The Fountain of Lamneth

1. AFTK

Best: Xanadu

Worst: Madrigal

2. Hemispheres

Best: Cygnus X-1 Book II

Worst: Circumstances

3. PeW

Best: Natural Science

Worst: Different Strings

4. HYF

Best: Time Stand Still

Worst: Force Ten

5. PoW

Best: Emotion Detector

Worst: Grand Designs

6. 2112

Best: 2112

Worst: Tears

7. P/G

Best: The Body Electric

Worst: Distant Early Warning

8. Caress of Steel

Best: The Fountain of Lamneth

Worst: ITIGB

9. Presto

Best: War Paint

Worst: Red Tide

10. MP

Best: Red Barchetta

Worst: YYZ

11. RTB

Best: Roll the Bones

Worst: The Big Wheel

12. Signals

Best: The Analog Kid

Worst: New World Man

13. Test for Echo

Best: Totem

Worst: Dog Years

14. CP

Best: The Speed of Love

Worst: Between Sun and Moon

15. Vapor Trails

Best: Ghost Rider/Secret Touch/Freeze

Worst: How It Is

16. Fly By Night

Best: Rivendell

Worst: Making Memories

17. Snakes and Arrows

Best: The Way the Wind Blows

Worst: Mal Nar

18. CA

Best: The Garden

Worst: Seven Cities of Gold

19. Rush

Best: Finding My Way

Worst: Need Some Love

Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

1. Hemispheres - The height of the conceptual period. The songs are strong, and the playing is unmatched.

2. 2112 - One of the greatest songs every, complimented by 5 very good to amazing songs.

3. Caress of Steel - A critical and commercial failure, this album holds a special place in my heart. With one foot in the past, the band rocked out with two great songs. With one foot in the future they try the dark and beautifully ambitious Necromancer and Fountain.

4. Moving Pictures - Hit after hit after hit. Red Barchetta is like a little movie, and I'll never get tired of that song.

5. Fly By Night - Early and raw, with light and shade. Hints of brilliance to come in other fields, while mastering the hard rock/metal genre.

6. Clockwork Angels - Power and beauty. No album rocks much harder, and no album has more beautiful songs.

7. Farewell to Kings - Great songs, great subtlety, great lyrics. Only Cygnus X-1, the band's worst (but still ok) concept song drags this album down to #7.

8. Permanent Waves - A great and ambitious new start for the band, Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder aren't the band's best work, but they are still good.

9. Roll the Bones - After 3 disappointing albums (and many would argue 5), RTB corrects the mistakes of Presto, adding better songs to go with the return to guitar sound.

10. Signals - For many, the start of a period of decline for the band. The album only has one weak song, though, even if it only had a couple of great ones.

11. Test for Echo - Correcting the embarrassing mistakes of Counterparts, this album sees Rush back in fine form with a focus on good songs.

12. Vapor Trails - Bad production can't hide very good songs. The album is weighed down by a lack of variety and excessive length, and that the album's worst two songs were released as the signals and played live. Rush never rocked harder than this.

13. Rush - The original still kicks much ass, giving a glimpse at the power of the band. In retrospect, you can see the skill and diversity that would become Rush staples, but at the time, it's impossible to think the band would be where it was a mere two years later.

14. Grace Under Pressure - The band retains some of the power of its earlier days, though layers in interesting themes and a ton of synths.

15. Snakes & Arrows - 4 great songs, including the best song of the 2000's, can't wipe away the fact that the band was mired in mid-tempo trudges that went nowhere. Still, the clean sound, good lyrics, and inarguable highs make this an album worth enjoying.

16. Power Windows - 4 amazing songs and 2 good ones and two not so good ones. The first album where not great songs equal the great ones.

17. Hold Your Fire - Much maligned, this album was more ambitious than it seems. The band stretches to new themes, sometimes succeeding, but often with just ok results.

18. Presto - A commercial low-point for the band, in their first effort to shed the synths the band had lost the focus on song writing.

19. Counterparts - An almost embarrassing effort by the band. Rush's return to a harder, grunge sound completely forgot to bring the songs and lyrics. With only one great song, and very few very good ones, there's not much to like here other than a return of the hard guitars, a fact that obscures objective evaluation of this album by the hard core fans. The lyrics show why Peart doesn't tackle love.

1. Caress of Steel

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. Moving Pictures

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Permanent Waves

7. Fly By Night

8. A Farewell to Kings

9. Test for Echo

10. Roll the Bones

11. Vapor Trails

12. Rush

13. Grace Under Pressure

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Signals

16. Presto

17. Power Windows

18. Snakes & Arrows

19. Counterparts

Unfortunately, you played your mulligan and placed Caress of Steel first. That's like slicing your tee shot into the woods, teeing up another ball, and tapping it off the tee two feet. Now you have to play that one. With T4E and C of S both in your top 10. Yikes.

You love Power Windows, Signals and GuP....I'm pretty sure I don't need your musical advice.

Check your list. You do.

Not uhn.

1. Caress of Steel

2. Hemispheres

3. 2112

4. Moving Pictures

5. Clockwork Angels

6. Permanent Waves

7. Fly By Night

8. A Farewell to Kings

9. Test for Echo

10. Roll the Bones

11. Vapor Trails

12. Rush

13. Grace Under Pressure

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Signals

16. Presto

17. Power Windows

18. Snakes & Arrows

19. Counterparts

Check your list. You do.

Not uhn.

Yup.

Updated for my current tastes in RUSH:

Snakes and Arrows - Best song: Bravest Face. Worst song: The Main Monkey Business.

Signals - Stellar album all around. I absolutely love it. Best song: Countdown. Weakest song: New World Man.

Permanent Waves - Best song: Natural Science. Weakest song: Different Strings

Moving Pictures - Best song: The Camera Eye or Limelight. Weakest song: Vital Signs.

A Farewell to Kings - Best song: Xanadu. Worst song: Madrigal.

Hold Your Fire - Best song: Force Ten or Lock and Key. Worst song: Tai Shan.

Counterparts - Best song: Between Sun and Moon. Worst song: Alien Shore.

Clockwork Angels - Best song: The Anarchist or Headlong Flight. Weakest song: BU2B2

Hemispheres - Best song: La Villa Strangiato. Weakest song: The Trees.

Grace Under Pressure - Best song: Kid Gloves. Worst song: Red Lenses.

Power Windows - Best song: Marathon. Worst song: Emotion Detector.

2112 - Best song: 2112: Worst song: Tears.

RUSH - Bests song: What You're Doing. Weakest song: Take a Friend

Fly By Night - Best song: Beneath, Between, and Behind. Worst song: Rivendell.

Test For Echo - Best song: Test for Echo. Worst song: Dog Years.

Roll The Bones - Best song: Dreamline. Worst song: Heresy.

Caress of Steel - Best song: Bastille Day. Worst song: The Fountain of Lamneth.

Presto - Best song: Hand Over Fist. Worst song: Available Light.

Vapor Trails - Best song: Vapor Trail. Worst song: Almost everything else on the album.

Heck, I'l throw in live albums:

Snakes and Arrows Live - Best performance: Mission. Worst performance: Freewill.

R30 - Best performance: Force Ten. Worst performance: Animate.

Rush in RIo - Best performance: Between Sun & Moon. Worst performance: By-Tor.

Exit...Stage Left - Best performance: Jacob's Ladder or Xanadu. Worst performance: IDK.

Grace Under Pressure Tour: Best performance: The Fear Trilogy. Worst performance: New World Man

All The World's A Stage - Best performance: Working Man. Worst performance: By-Tor.

Different Stages - Best performance: 2112. Worst performance: Show Don't Tell.

Time Machine Tour: Live in Cleveland - Best performance: The Camera Eye. Worst performance: Vital Signs.

Clockwork Angels Tour - Best performance: Red Sector A. Worst performance: Territories.

A Show of Hands - Best performance: Turn The Page. Worst performance: Mission.

I can't tell if this list works better from worst to best or best to worst...probably the former.

Best to worst.

1. Blah

2. Blah

3. Blah

4. Blah

5. Blah

6. Blah

7. Blah

8. Blah

9. Blah

10. Blah

11. Blah

12. Blah

13. Blah

14. Blah

15. Blah

16. Blah

17. Blah

18. Blah

19. Blah

I guess your favourite Iggy Pop album is "Blah Blah Blah".

Welcome. :cheers: You "love" all Rush albums? Just curious... :)

Thank you. Well, I do love them all in a way, aren't they all parts of a bigger picture? Some have their faults and disabilities, but so do we and nobody's perfect and and... I wouldn't want any Rush album to be deleted off the face of the earth, there is room for all of them!

Welcome to the forum !!

Thanks, merci, vielen dank, tack, gracias, kiitos!

A polyglot!

Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome...to TRF, to TRF, to TRF!

OK, I'll take a stab at it...

1. Moving Pictures: To me this is their defining album.

2. Roll The Bones: Absolutely some of their best stuff is on this album. Dreamline, Bravado and Roll the Bones might be 3 of my top 10 rush songs of all time.

3. Signals: Subdivisions, Analog Kid, Digital Man… Awesome

4. 2112: Just love the title track of this one to rank it any lower.

5. Pesto: I may have ranked this somewhat unpopular album higher than anyone, but a lot of songs I like on here. The Pass is a favorite of mine.

6. Permanent Waves: Just the fact that The Spirit of Radio is on here, makes it hard not to rank it even higher than this.

7. Hemishpheres: Pretty hard to decide where to rank it among other great albums.

8. Power Windows: Big Money, Manhattan Project, Marathon… all great among other decent stuff.

9. Grace Under Pressure: Red Sector A is the best of this one for me.

10. A Farewell To Kings: Again, hard to decide among many great albums.

11. Counterparts: Love Animate, really enjoy Nobodys Hero, Everyday Glory and others.

12. Hold Your Fire: Love Time Stand Still and Mission.

13. Vapor Trails: Loved Earthshine, didn't connect with some other stuff.

14. Test For Echo: Some great stuff, some just OK.

15. Clockwork Angels: I just haven't connected with this album yet…. maybe over time it moves up. The Wreckers is my favorite song on the album.

16. Fly By Night: Showing that I'm just not as into their earliest stuff

17. Rush: See Fly By Night

18. Caress of Steel: Its got Lakeside Park and Bastille Day… other than that not much on this one for me.

19. Snakes N Arrows: Far Cry is OK, other than that just very "Meh" all around.

I didn't rank Feedback… would have no idea where to put it. I really enjoy it and thought it was a really nice "outside of the box" project, but it isn't really Rush.

For me I found it pretty easy to figure out where to put the top few and the bottom few…. really hard to rank the albums in that 5 to 14 range… they are all so good.

Edited by Boston_E

1 Moving Pictures

2 Signals

3 Exit Stage Left

4 2112

5 Permanent Waves

6 A Farewell To Kings

7 Hemispheres

8 Fly By Night

9 All The Worlds A Stage

10 Grace Under Pressure

all the rest are about the same and most of it is noise

Slay me if you want, but after Grace I lost interest in the band. Yes they were trying to keep up with the times of the mid to late 80's scene and tons of music actually died during this period, not just Rush.

1 Moving Pictures

2 Signals

3 Exit Stage Left

4 2112

5 Permanent Waves

6 A Farewell To Kings

7 Hemispheres

8 Fly By Night

9 All The Worlds A Stage

10 Grace Under Pressure

all the rest are about the same and most of it is noise

Slay me if you want, but after Grace I lost interest in the band. Yes they were trying to keep up with the times of the mid to late 80's scene and tons of music actually died during this period, not just Rush.

No love for Caress of Steel?

1. Counterparts

So much POWER. They're mature musicians (unlike during most of the 70's),

Yes I can see your point here. Much like Led Zeppelin completely sucked until In Through the Outdoor, when they finally had matured as musicians… and Van Halen never really put it together until 5150 and OU812. Good call! :facepalm:

The problem with your analogy is that I never said Rush sucked up until Counterparts.

True. My apologies. You only said roughly half their songs sucked throughout the 70's. I admit my analogy was a somewhat of an exaggeration. But I think my point is still valid.

How can someone question another person's opinion? We aren't discussing fact. There is no validity to anyone's point when it calls into question someone's opinion. The fact that we all have differing opinions is what makes this place fun. It would be really f***ing boring if everyone had the same taste in music, and everyone's favorite era was 77 - 82. :|

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Hemispheres

Power Windows

A Farewell To Kings

Clockwork Angels

Fly By Night

Test For Echo

Counterparts

Snakes and Arrows

Roll The Bones

Presto

Vapor Trails

:rush:

Hold Your Fire

Caress of Steel

1. Counterparts

So much POWER. They're mature musicians (unlike during most of the 70's),

Yes I can see your point here. Much like Led Zeppelin completely sucked until In Through the Outdoor, when they finally had matured as musicians… and Van Halen never really put it together until 5150 and OU812. Good call! :facepalm:

The problem with your analogy is that I never said Rush sucked up until Counterparts.

True. My apologies. You only said roughly half their songs sucked throughout the 70's. I admit my analogy was a somewhat of an exaggeration. But I think my point is still valid.

How can someone question another person's opinion? We aren't discussing fact. There is no validity to anyone's point when it calls into question someone's opinion. The fact that we all have differing opinions is what makes this place fun. It would be really f***ing boring if everyone had the same taste in music, and everyone's favorite era was 77 - 82. :|

Thanks, Jim :cheers:

My ranks are:

1. A Farewell to kings- I put this one first because of how many musical masterpieces it has. A farewell to kings and Xanadu are two of the best Rush songs of all time.

2. Moving Pictures and Hemispheres- These don't need explanations.

3. Grace Under Pressure- I think the weird rhythms complete harmony, time signatures, balance, and the synths make the album great

4. 2112- This should be higher up but I only like the first three songs.

5. Signals- The songs on this track are amazing and the balance of New World Man and Subdivisions make this album great.

6. Permanent Waves- I put this sixth because of how the balance is in most of them, the simple rhythms are also a problem for me.

7. Power Windows- I love some parts of this album but a few songs have problem. I love Big Money, Marathon, Manhattan Project, Grand Designs, Territories and Mystic Rhythms. I think Emotion detector sounds like a dell computers opening sounds. I think that Middletown dreams just plain sucks.

8. Clockwork Angels- I put this one here because of how similar some of the songs sound.

9. Snakes and Arrows- I like Far cry a lot but don't like many others.

10. Caress of Steel- The Necromancer narrator sounds like Jeff Goldblum trying to be Jeff Goldblum and I think I'm going bald makes me want to rip out my hair.

11. Fly By Night- I think its too simple.

12. Vapor Trails- The sound mixing sucks.

13. Presto, Test for Echo, and Hold your fire- I think these are hit and miss with good and bad songs.

14. Roll the Bones- There's a rap, Rush did a rap, let that sink in.

15. Counterparts- Just no.

16. Rush- Too simple.

• Like 1

can't do the full album ranking thing but can say without doubt that Vapor Trails & Permanent Waves are my equal no. 1s

given every album a good 2 or 3 years serious attention but i still play Vapor Trails a lot to this day never get tired of it, in many ways is closest band got to just a pure rock album, so much variation in it.

TFE very similar actually but slotting that just below VT

• Like 1