9- Hemispheres
10- 2112

#23 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (dethroned emperor @ Aug 11 2012, 05:46 PM)
caress of steel
a farewell to kings
fly by night
counterparts
hemispheres
rush
clockwork angels
snakes and arrows
presto
grace under pressure
signals
test for echo
moving pictures
power windows
roll the bones
hold your fire
permanent waves
vapor trails

I'm sorry, but Signals is 12th?  Moving Pictures 14th?  Permanent Waves 18th?

wtf.gif

#24 Silas Lang

Silas Lang

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2968 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

1/1a. Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures - the twin peaks in the Rush canon and the point at which Rush gained enough confidence to move beyond their early influences while absorbing new ones and meld them all into a sound uniquely their own, in the process creating two flawless masterpieces
3. 2112 - Rush throws down the gauntlet and makes their stand in the ultimate philosophical and emotional statement of purpose. The first side on its own is so powerful it's pretty much inconsequential what side 2 (which ain't too shabby in its own right) consists of.
4. Grace Under Pressure - one of their most powerful and passionate efforts that perfectly reflects the dark and uncertain times in which it was made. The first sense of a musical/lyrical maturity following the band's 'adolescent' years. Icy stabbing synth lines, slashing metallic guitar chords along with some of Peart's finest lyrics combine to create a cold, mechanical feel that's purely awesome.
5. Caress of Steel - an atmospheric journey into dark, forbidding musical lands resulting in many moments of incredible power, majesty and beauty. A great adventure indeed!
6. Rush - people hearing this on Cleveland radio in '74 thought it was LED ZEPPELIN for fukks sake and there's a reason for that: it's great rock & roll, period
7. A Farewell To Kings - the first three tracks are among their very best, giving it the slightest edge over...  
8. Hemispheres - where they push themselves to the limit in terms of complexity, vocals and musicianship. Geddy has said that around this time they were out to prove that they could play and they did that here without any doubt.
9. Power Windows - the ultimate blending of guitar and keyboards for Rush, as Geddy said. What truly shines hear though is the songwriting and lyrics with the first five tracks being particularly top-notch.
10. Clockwork Angels - every song on here is excellent and extremely well written and they're playing with as much fire as ever...astounding and pretty much unprecedented really for a band's 19th album. Listen to the music that's there without constantly trying to compare it to prior eras and you could be rewarded. There's enough diversity and depth that any Rush fan should be able to connect with some of it. I'm not sure about declaring it a masterpiece quite yet but it's about as close as you can get (perhaps in the fullness of time).  
11. Vapor Trails - hardly an embarrassment...far from it actually. Rush returns with an album full of passion, energy and tremendous spirit with nearly every song a gem...excellent stuff.
12. Fly By Night - it's ridiculous that an album this great is so far down the list but there you are. Side one kicks a ton of ass but isn't quite as monumental as say, 2112. Side two is similar and certainly comparable to 2112's.
13. Counterparts - several great real rockers on here (their best in a while) with an underrated closer. still this far down an album I would call great overall.  
14. Test For Echo - pretty much the equal to Counterparts in my mind, even slightly more musically interesting and adventurous at times  
15. Snakes & Arrows - maybe not as diverse and varied as other albums but still a lot of strong material
16. Signals - Rush refuses to become complacent or coast on their breakthrough success. A brave effort and a necessary step for them at the time but for me their weakest up to that point. Mostly good though with a few great songs.
17. Hold Your Fire - I agree with Neil here in that they were going a bit too far with the keyboards. Their heavy rock edge, while still present at times, was largely in absence. Still half of it is really great.
18/19. Presto/Roll The Bones - Their first attempts to correct the HYF issue and get back to a heavier guitar/bass/drums oriented sound didn't quite get there since the production team in place couldn't get the job done. They're not terrible albums just rather bland, unexciting and unspectatcular.

#25 Cyclonus X-1

Cyclonus X-1

Yurts >>>>>>> Gers

• Members *
  • 61368 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sports.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

Caress of Steel
Moving Pictures
Signals
Permanent Waves
Counterparts
Clockwork Angels
Snakes & Arrows
Rush
Hemispheres
Grace Under Pressure
Test for Echo
Fly By Night
A Farewell to Kings
Hold Your Fire
Vapor Trails
Presto
Roll the Bones
Power Windows

#26 Pause Rewind Replay

Pause Rewind Replay

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

I think the best way to do this is as off the top of my head as possible, without trying to analyze everything....
1. MP
2. Counterparts
3. CA
4. Presto
5. VT
6. Signals
7. 2112
8. S&A
9. GuP
10. PoW
11. HYF
12. AFTK
13. PeW ( 3 absolute classics, and 3 I couldn't care less about)
14.  2.gif
15. Hemispheres (Title epic doesn't grab me like 2112, LVS comes off better live than studio)
16. FBN
17. RTB
18. T4E
(all of these are at worst listenable.  And then there's,  um, ...)
19. CoS  Bastille Day is classic, Lakeside Park is good, the other 35 minutes 062802puke_prv.gif

Looking at my list my own first impression is "What a scrambled top 7!"  None of them sound like the others.

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay, 12 August 2012 - 04:28 AM.

#27 Syrinx Priest

Syrinx Priest

The Seeker

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

1) Hemispheres
2) A Farewell to Kings
3) Permanent Waves
4) Moving Pictures
5) 2112
6) Snakes and Arrows
7) Clockwork Angels
8) Signals
9) Fly By Night
10) Presto
11) Grace Under Pressure
12) Caress of Steel
13) Rush
14) Hold Your Fire
15) Roll the Bones
16) Power Windows
17) Counterparts
18) Vapor Trails
19) Test for Echo

#28 Animate

Animate

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1140 posts
  • Interests:Lost Horizons

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Aug 11 2012, 11:47 PM)
1/1a. Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures - the twin peaks in the Rush canon and the point at which Rush gained enough confidence to move beyond their early influences while absorbing new ones and meld them all into a sound uniquely their own, in the process creating two flawless masterpieces
3. 2112 - Rush throws down the gauntlet and makes their stand in the ultimate philosophical and emotional statement of purpose. The first side on its own is so powerful it's pretty much inconsequential what side 2 (which ain't too shabby in its own right) consists of.
4. Grace Under Pressure - one of their most powerful and passionate efforts that perfectly reflects the dark and uncertain times in which it was made. The first sense of a musical/lyrical maturity following the band's 'adolescent' years. Icy stabbing synth lines, slashing metallic guitar chords along with some of Peart's finest lyrics combine to create a cold, mechanical feel that's purely awesome.
5. Caress of Steel - an atmospheric journey into dark, forbidding musical lands resulting in many moments of incredible power, majesty and beauty. A great adventure indeed!
6. Rush - people hearing this on Cleveland radio in '74 thought it was LED ZEPPELIN for fukks sake and there's a reason for that: it's great rock & roll, period
7. A Farewell To Kings - the first three tracks are among their very best, giving it the slightest edge over...  
8. Hemispheres - where they push themselves to the limit in terms of complexity, vocals and musicianship. Geddy has said that around this time they were out to prove that they could play and they did that here without any doubt.
9. Power Windows - the ultimate blending of guitar and keyboards for Rush, as Geddy said. What truly shines hear though is the songwriting and lyrics with the first five tracks being particularly top-notch.
10. Clockwork Angels - every song on here is excellent and extremely well written and they're playing with as much fire as ever...astounding and pretty much unprecedented really for a band's 19th album. Listen to the music that's there without constantly trying to compare it to prior eras and you could be rewarded. There's enough diversity and depth that any Rush fan should be able to connect with some of it. I'm not sure about declaring it a masterpiece quite yet but it's about as close as you can get (perhaps in the fullness of time).  
11. Vapor Trails - hardly an embarrassment...far from it actually. Rush returns with an album full of passion, energy and tremendous spirit with nearly every song a gem...excellent stuff.
12. Fly By Night - it's ridiculous that an album this great is so far down the list but there you are. Side one kicks a ton of ass but isn't quite as monumental as say, 2112. Side two is similar and certainly comparable to 2112's.
13. Counterparts - several great real rockers on here (their best in a while) with an underrated closer. still this far down an album I would call great overall.  
14. Test For Echo - pretty much the equal to Counterparts in my mind, even slightly more musically interesting and adventurous at times  
15. Snakes & Arrows - maybe not as diverse and varied as other albums but still a lot of strong material
16. Signals - Rush refuses to become complacent or coast on their breakthrough success. A brave effort and a necessary step for them at the time but for me their weakest up to that point. Mostly good though with a few great songs.
17. Hold Your Fire - I agree with Neil here in that they were going a bit too far with the keyboards. Their heavy rock edge, while still present at times, was largely in absence. Still half of it is really great.
18/19. Presto/Roll The Bones - Their first attempts to correct the HYF issue and get back to a heavier guitar/bass/drums oriented sound didn't quite get there since the production team in place couldn't get the job done. They're not terrible albums just rather bland, unexciting and unspectatcular.

goodpost.gif

These are some really good rationales for your rankings.  I really like the one for Fly By Night. That is how I always feel when trying to rank the albums  "Absurd! How can AlbumX get such a low ranking?!?"

#29 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

1. Permanent Waves
2. Power Windows
3. Signals
4.  Caress of Steel
5. Moving Pictures
6. Hold your Fire
7. Presto
8. Snakes and Arrows
9. Farewell to Kings
10. Roll the Bones
11. Hemispheres
12. 2112
13. Counterparts
14. Grace under Pressure
15. Clockwork Angels
16. Fly by Night
17. Test for Echo
18. Vapor Trails
19. Rush
20. Feedback

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 12 August 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#30 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Aug 12 2012, 11:31 AM)
1. Permanent Waves
2. Power Windows
3. Signals
4.  Caress of Steel
5. Moving Pictures
6. Hold your Fire
7. Presto
8. Snakes and Arrows
9. Farewell to Kings
10. Roll the Bones
11. Hemispheres
12. 2112
13. Counterparts
14. Grace under Pressure
15. Clockwork Angels
16. Fly by Night
17. Test for Echo
18. Vapor Trails
19. Rush
20. Feedback

Mick

Interestingly, you're the first person to mention Feedback.  Why?  Because almost no one considers it a "Rush album" even though there was all that ridiculous hubbub awhile back about Clockwork Angels being their 20th album.  It was their 19th.  And one time they made a short EP of cover tunes.

#31 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83454 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

1 A Farewell to Kings
1 Hemispheres
1 Permanent Waves
1 Moving Pictures
5 2112
6 Caress of Steel
7 Fly By Night
8 Power Windows
9 Signals
10 Clockwork Angels
11 Vapor Trails
12 Counterparts
13 Snakes & Arrows
14 Grace Under Pressure
15 Hold Your Fire
16 Rush
17 Test for Echo
18 Roll the Bones
19 Presto
20 Feedback

#32 Unattractive Truth

Unattractive Truth

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1270 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Power Windows
Signals
Clockwork Angels
Vapor Trails
Snakes and Arrows
Presto
Counterparts
Grace Under Pressure
Hold Your Fire
Test for Echo
A Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres
Fly by Night
Rush
Caress of Steel
Roll the Bones

#33 DistantEarlyRushFan

DistantEarlyRushFan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:RUSH \M/

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

My list is bulletproof

1. Moving Pictures
2. Signals
3. Permanent Waves
4. Hemispheres
5. A Farewell To Kings
6. 2112
7. Fly By Night
8. Caress of Steel
9. Grace Under Pressure
10 Clockwork Angels
11. Counterparts
12. Snakes and Arrows
13. Power Windows
14. Rush
15. Vapor Trails
16. Presto
17. Roll The Bones
18. Hold Your Fire
19. Test For Echo

#34 azechiel

azechiel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Cosmology, Astronomy, Movies, Music

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

1. A Farewell to Kings - To me, you can't get better than this.  Pure prog at it's finest.  Xanadu is Rush's best track, and the whole album flows together so well.  I've always called Madrigal "the calm before the storm."

2. Moving Pictures - Generally considered their best for good reason.  Not one weak track here.

3. Power Windows - I love this album.  I'm one of the few people who really, really likes Territories (it's just so danceable), and overall, I feel this album represents the best of their synth period.

4. Hemispheres - The title track has one of the most interesting ideas for one of their songs, and the rest of the album rounds out brilliantly.  La Villa is their best instrumental.

5. Permanent Waves - The first album where we start to hear some synth, but well before the synth era.  Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder are truly inspired tracks.

6. Signals - More great synth tracks here, and I love the album even though I feel that Subdivisions + the even numbered tracks are far stronger than the other three.  However, the whole album flows together really well, and it works as one piece.

7. 2112 - Amazing title track, and some more of their great prog era.

8. Hold Your Fire - The bass on this album is amazing, and a lot of the lyrics are quite inspired.  I am one of three people who actually likes Tai Shan (so shoot me).

9. Snakes and Arrows - The best production on an album we've seen since Power Windows, and it shows.  Great instrumentals all around, and only a couple of weak tracks.

10. Fly By Night - Great early stuff here, Bytor and the Snow Dog really foreshadows where they're going, and there are a few really great rockers on here, like Beneath, Between, and Behind, Fly By Night, and In the End.

11. Grace Under Pressure - Some of their darkest synth stuff, which I love.  Between the Wheels and Kid Gloves are amazing, and again the lyrics here are astounding.

12. Roll the Bones - I love this album unashamedly.  The rap is silly, but fun, and the whole concept behind the album of life as a game of chance is very interesting.  You Bet Your Life is a great album closer.

13. Presto - Slightly weaker production than Roll the Bones, but the tracks are just as compelling.  Show Don't Tell, Presto, and Available Light are standouts here, but the poppy feel of this album I always enjoy.

14. Caress of Steel - Great tracks all around here, but that early Rush sound doesn't work quite as well when it is extended to the length of some of their more proggy stuff.  I still love it though.

15. Counterparts - Much heavier than other Rush.  Amazing playing and great structures, but I prefer the lighter to the heavier sounds of Rush.

16. Clockwork Angels - Production feels muddled here, though the lyrics are great, and I'm glad to see Rush finally do a full, true concept album, in terms of telling a story (I consider most Rush albums loose concept albums, but this is their first tight one, to be sure).  

17. Rush - The lack of Peart shows.  I still like the tunes, but it's obvious it's not the Rush we all know and love.

18. Vapor Trails - Production feels very muddled here, though there are still some standout tracks, and I still enjoy listening to the album.  Hey, it's still Rush, right?

19. Test for Echo - Some of their worst lyrics, and again fairly muddled production.  A few standout greats on this one, but this is definitely the Rush album I listen to the least.

#35 sitboaf

sitboaf

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

My list is bulletproof

OMG, you're right!
Except GuP is too high.   wink.gif  

#36 DistantEarlyRushFan

DistantEarlyRushFan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:RUSH \M/

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

Perhaps. I happen to think that it still contains a little bit of fire that the band had in the late 70s early 80s

#37 GeddyLeeRoth

GeddyLeeRoth

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1212 posts
  • Interests:My family. Music- Classical, Jazz, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, and Metal. Revisionist History and Anthropology, UFOlogy, Astronomy, Tolkein, Game Of Thrones (books), Star Wars, Weight Training, not completely growing up.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

1. Moving Pictures
2. Hemispheres
3. 2112
4. Permanent Waves
5. A Farewell To Kings

6. Grace Under Pressure
7. Power Windows
8. Fly By Night
9. Signals
10. Clockwork Angels
11. Vapor Trails
12. Counterparts
13. RUSH
14. Caress Of Steel

15. Hold Your Fire
16. Presto
17. Snakes & Arrows
18. Test For Echo
19. Roll The Bones

#38 sitboaf

sitboaf

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

I cheated and used the Johnny Blaze System™ again.

1. Moving Pictures
2. Permanent Waves
3. A Farewell to Kings
4. Signals
5. Hemispheres
6. Clockwork Angels (recently fell from #5, but not because I lowered any of the songs' rankings. Hemispheres just moved up a hair after some reconsideration).

7. Power Windows
8. Fly By Night
9. Rush
10. Hold Your Fire
11. Counterparts
12. Presto

13. 2112
14. Roll the Bones
15. Snakes and Arrows
16. Grace Under Pressure
17. Vapor Trails
18. Caress of Steel

19. Test for Echo

#39 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3426 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Caress Of Steel
Hemispheres
A Farewell To Kings
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Fly By Night
Rush
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Clockwork Angels
Counterparts
Snakes And Arrows
Power Windows
Vapor Trails
Roll The Bones
Test For Echo
Hold Your Fire
Presto

#40 NinjaDiscoPunch

NinjaDiscoPunch

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

I grew up listening to a few songs off "Chronicles", so I always thought "Finding My Way" Rush was the same as "Tom Sawyer" Rush and "Show Don't Tell" Rush. I wasn't aware that it was a compilation album, so I thought they had a drastic and hugely varied sound on each album (boy was I wrong!). That meant that when I started listening to "Vapor Trails", the only other Rush album I had at the time, I was not entirely surprised or overwhelmed by its supposedly 'loud' sound. For that reason, I can't rank these albums based on 'sound', but how much I enjoy them. So, here we go, my album rankings and my favorite cuts:
1. Vapor Trails - This is the reason I listen to Rush. Every song is a gift to mankind.
2. Caress of Steel - Yes, that's right. "The Necromancer" is just wonderful.
3. Test For Echo - My friend gave me his MP3 player, which I listened to during summer school in '07, but I never knew it was Rush, until I heard "Virtuality"  recently.
4. Rush - I'm not going to lie. "Need Some Love", for when I need a pick-me-up.
5. Moving Pictures - Without "Tom Sawyer", I would not be complete.
6. Signals - "Digital Man" is amazing. I don't know why everyone could live without it.
7. A Farewell to Kings - Does anyone else listen to "Cygnus X-1" when playing Star Fox? No? Well "Madrigal" needs some attention, too...
8. Hemispheres - Because you can't finish "Book I" without "Book II".
9. Fly By Night - Actually, "Anthem" is why I bought a drum set.
10. Counterparts - "Speed of Love" offers excellent contrast in terms of sound versus the rest of the alum.
11. 2112 - "Lessons" and "Something for Nothing" are very relaxing after that mind-blowing title track.
12. Permanent Waves - Only because of "Spirit of Radio" and "Freewill".
13. Roll the Bones - "Dreamline". 'Nuff said.
14. Clockwork Angels - "Headlong Flight" makes for some good rocking...
15. Snakes and Arrows - ...so does "Far Cry".
16. Grace Under Pressure - I honestly thought the title meant someone named Grace was in a pickle until I read Hemmingway. "Kid Gloves" and "Distant Early Warning" deserve more recognition.
17. Presto - "Show Don't Tell" was on Chronicles.
18. Hold Your Fire - Don't have it yet, but "Time Stand Still" defined it for me.
19. Power Windows - "Big Money" is enjoyable, but the synths keep it from being higher on the list.
20. Feedback - Just a cover album, but I like "Summertime Blues", "Seven and Seven is",  "The Seeker" and "For What it's Worth" more than the originals.

Like I said, I don't really have a favorite, since I grew up with "Chronicles" and thought it was a studio album. But in all honesty, "Power Windows" is the only one I have ANY complaints about, and that's just because of the synth use, which was pretty standard in the 1980s anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users