Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

I've just started a vinyl collection and I got:

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

I was about to grab 2112 but there were some awesome CDs I wanted to grab

After you listen to that stuff don't forget to come back and tell us how much better they sound on vinyl and how those who listen to music in any other format are beneath you and aren't listening to music the proper way.

Yuck. Vinyl snobs who go around insisting folks who don't listen to vinyl aren't really hearing the music right get on my nerves. I've been collecting records for years now, and I still use Spotify or YouTube if there's nothing else to use. Most ears can't tell the difference, and that's the truth.

• Like 2

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

After you listen to that stuff don't forget to come back and tell us how much better they sound on vinyl and how those who listen to music in any other format are beneath you and aren't listening to music the proper way.

Yuck. Vinyl snobs who go around insisting folks who don't listen to vinyl aren't really hearing the music right get on my nerves. I've been collecting records for years now, and I still use Spotify or YouTube if there's nothing else to use. Most ears can't tell the difference, and that's the truth.

I don't think some of them realize they're coming off as snobs and that it sounds like they're talking down to everyone. Before grayfrair stopped posting here some people had that conversation with him. We just don't hear it the same way they do and they don't get why that is.

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

I don't think some of them realize they're coming off as snobs and that it sounds like they're talking down to everyone. Before grayfrair stopped posting here some people had that conversation with him. We just don't hear it the same way they do and they don't get why that is.

CDs are a lot more convenient, but I have heard Vinyl and it sounds aesthetic.. love it

I always use YouTube or Spotify to listen to music first before actually planning on buying an album

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

CDs are a lot more convenient, but I have heard Vinyl and it sounds aesthetic.. love it

I always use YouTube or Spotify to listen to music first before actually planning on buying an album

Just for reference, aesthetic is in this case a noun, not an adjective. The question is not whether or not there is an aesthetic about vinyl, but what that aesthetic is and why you like it.

But yeah, I agree. CD's are cheap and convenient, Spotify and YouTube are free and convenient and good for trying things out, but vinyl is a breath-taking experience unto itself.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

Just for reference, aesthetic is in this case a noun, not an adjective. The question is not whether or not there is an aesthetic about vinyl, but what that aesthetic is and why you like it.

But yeah, I agree. CD's are cheap and convenient, Spotify and YouTube are free and convenient and good for trying things out, but vinyl is a breath-taking experience unto itself.

Breath taking experience? It's just a format we listen to music on lol.

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

Hey, I listen to Queen. I get to be overdramatic when I want to. :P

• Like 1

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

Sadly, I don't have any Queen CDs or Vinyl. I never found one at a store or record shop. I guess I have to order online then

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

Sadly, I don't have any Queen CDs or Vinyl. I never found one at a store or record shop. I guess I have to order online then

Depends on where you look and where you live. Where I live finding an actual Queen studio album in a CD rack at a department store would be very rare, let alone in a Goodwill or thrift shop. And records, you can forget it most of the time. Even Barnes And Nobles has limited (and overpriced) selection. If you want Queen on vinyl or CD the place to go is independent record stores that get new shipments of new and used music weekly. I’ve been collecting records for years and only this past summer did I finally find ADATR on vinyl for a reasonable price. I’d say resort to online at your own risk. Amazon might show some decent prices sometimes, but then you have to make sure you aren’t buying from a third party seller, or if you are that the seller is highly rated for vinyl/CD shipping. My dad ordered a copy of Who’s Next for my birthday via Amazon some years ago and the record that came had skips on nearly every song (most of them have actually gone away since then, but at the time I was kind of disappointed).

EDIT: I will say I think I used discogs for something I really wanted at a decent price once and it was an altogether pleasant online shopping experience, with perfectly good shipping and everything. I might check there for what you want if you can’t find a good price on Amazon.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

Depends on where you look and where you live. Where I live finding an actual Queen studio album in a CD rack at a department store would be very rare, let alone in a Goodwill or thrift shop. And records, you can forget it most of the time. Even Barnes And Nobles has limited (and overpriced) selection. If you want Queen on vinyl or CD the place to go is independent record stores that get new shipments of new and used music weekly. I’ve been collecting records for years and only this past summer did I finally find ADATR on vinyl for a reasonable price. I’d say resort to online at your own risk. Amazon might show some decent prices sometimes, but then you have to make sure you aren’t buying from a third party seller, or if you are that the seller is highly rated for vinyl/CD shipping. My dad ordered a copy of Who’s Next for my birthday via Amazon some years ago and the record that came had skips on nearly every song (most of them have actually gone away since then, but at the time I was kind of disappointed).

EDIT: I will say I think I used discogs for something I really wanted at a decent price once and it was an altogether pleasant online shopping experience, with perfectly good shipping and everything. I might check there for what you want if you can’t find a good price on Amazon.

:goodone:

I remember going to a huge record shop that is about 1hr and 15min away from where I live. They had almost every popular band there except Queen. I honestly find it funny that they had every AC/DC album on vinyl and almost every Rush album.

If I were going to buy a Queen CD I would probably get ANATO or Q2 first. The CDs second hand there are $3 and the second hand vinyl are $5. I got tons of old CDs there and not one of them skipped at all. However, I got Different Stages Live and I didn't look inside before buying... therefore the case kinda sucked and I only had Disc 2 and 3.

While getting new copies is a bit more pricey, it's probably worth the price whichever way.

• Like 1

My dad's friend from work gifted me a whole lot of records!

In no particular order but the one they're sitting in:

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac

ABBA - Super Trouper

REO Speedwagon - Lost In A Dream

Pink Floyd - Animals

Yes - 90125

Paul McCarntey - McCartney

Be interested in your takes on those albums.

I was well acquainted with Animals and 90125 already. some of my favorite albums. I didn't get a chance to listen to Super Trouper before I went back to school with a fraction of my records in tow. Lost In A Dream is definitely a 70s album, but nothing else really stood out to me about it. McCartney is a wild ride through seemingly dozens of interesting ideas, all just sketched and sequenced as haphazardly as possible. I enjoyed it. Fleetwood Mac's self titled was quite a bit softer than I expected, but I still liked it quite a bit, though Rumors has it beat.

Great. Have to say Animals comes in just behind Dark Side as my fave PF albums. The last few Abba albums are definitely worth checking out, they still hold up today imo. I have to get to more REO, I've only considered them a singles band but I really think they deserve a deeper delve. I've been on a real McCartney binge during the last year, he's definitely my fave solo Beatle. Thanks for getting back.

• Like 1

ABBA - Super Trouper

Pink Floyd - Animals

Yes - 90125

I was well acquainted with Animals and 90125 already. some of my favorite albums. I didn't get a chance to listen to Super Trouper before I went back to school with a fraction of my records in tow. Lost In A Dream is definitely a 70s album, but nothing else really stood out to me about it. McCartney is a wild ride through seemingly dozens of interesting ideas, all just sketched and sequenced as haphazardly as possible. I enjoyed it. Fleetwood Mac's self titled was quite a bit softer than I expected, but I still liked it quite a bit, though Rumors has it beat.

Great. Have to say Animals comes in just behind Dark Side as my fave PF albums. The last few Abba albums are definitely worth checking out, they still hold up today imo. I have to get to more REO, I've only considered them a singles band but I really think they deserve a deeper delve. I've been on a real McCartney binge during the last year, he's definitely my fave solo Beatle. Thanks for getting back.

Of course! If you're looking for more REO make sure you've heard REO II. In my opinion it's a much better album than Lost In A Dream.

• Like 1

ABBA - Super Trouper

Pink Floyd - Animals

Yes - 90125

Of course! If you're looking for more REO make sure you've heard REO II. In my opinion it's a much better album than Lost In A Dream.

ABBA - Super Trouper

Pink Floyd - Animals

Yes - 90125

I'll try and get to that next, thanks!

• Like 1

Van Halen (Van Halen)

Highway To Hell (AC/DC)

Moving Pictures (Rush)

Does anyone know what happened to him? He was a great guy. I hope he is well.

Bit over a week ago I got to return to my favorite record store in the world, right by my hometown too, for a bit of post-finals shopping! Here's what I picked up there:

Rolling Stones - Goat's Head Soup (after listening to this a few times it made me return to my other mid-70s Stones album, It's Only Rock'n Roll, and I like it a lot more all of the sudden!)

Traffic - The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys (sadly track one skips an absolute ton, but the rest is pretty clean)

Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night (fantastic! What a great little hidden gem!)

Renaissance - Novella (it's Renaissance alright, lol. I have to be in the mood for this band to really hit, but when they do, it's breathtaking)

Also got into Goodwill for some cheap CD's the other day, haven't listened to them just yet:

Michael Jackson - Dangerous

Modest Mouse - The Moon And Antarctica

Third Eye Blind - Blue

I'm listing to The Best of Country 2020 on Amazon Music, when did country become crappy pop music?

In the mid 90s. Where the hell have you been?

I was listening in the 90's through maybe 2005. I don't remember it being this bad.

I'm listing to The Best of Country 2020 on Amazon Music, when did country become crappy pop music?

In the mid 90s. Where the hell have you been?

I was listening in the 90's through maybe 2005. I don't remember it being this bad.

I'm sure it's gotten worse like all pop music has over the last 15 years. But the country genre has pretty much been pop since the mid 90s.

Music I've gotten for Christmas and with Christmas money:

Rush - Permanent Waves [40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box Set]

vinyl:

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose: A Rock Legend

MisterWives - Superbloom

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger (25th anniversary double LP remaster)

The Killers - Imploding The Mirage

Kiss - Rock And Roll Over

King Crimson - Discipline

Gentle Giant - Three Friends

Paul McCartney - Ram

CD:

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time

Madvillain - Madvillainy

• Like 2

On Friday 15th December Ghosts Of Atlantis released the third song of their debut album.

The Third Pillar!

• Like 1

On Friday 15th December Ghosts Of Atlantis released the third song of their debut album.

The Third Pillar!

I've just listened to this - these guys are pretty good!!

Music I've gotten for Christmas and with Christmas money:

Rush - Permanent Waves [40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box Set]

vinyl:

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose: A Rock Legend

MisterWives - Superbloom

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger (25th anniversary double LP remaster)

The Killers - Imploding The Mirage

Kiss - Rock And Roll Over

King Crimson - Discipline

Gentle Giant - Three Friends

Paul McCartney - Ram

CD:

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time

Madvillain - Madvillainy

Is the PeW box worth every penny? What's your take on the albums from Maiden, McCartney, Kiss and Bowie? Do you have much more CDs than vinyl in your collection?

• Like 1