Food you've eaten that should have killed you

Mara

I fully expect Johnny Blaze to have some GREAT answers here!

It can be anything - weird stuff, dangerous stuff (fugu, anyone?), really gross stuff of unknown origin. For example, that homemade sausage from the 3rd world market stall.

I will start. Aside from the several pounds of bloody ground beef I've ingested over the years, the scariest thing I've eaten is a Pop Tart.

Not just any Pop Tart, though. This one had been dropped on the floor of the very busy hospital emergency room. I ate it anyway, because we had been there for several hours already, I was starved, the cafeteria was closed, and I had used the last of my change to get this particular package of tarts from the vending machine. In addition to being infested with ER floor nastiness, the Pop Tart was also quite elderly - I think it had been in the machine since the Nixon administration.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember driving to MD to visit my wife's family on Christmas. We decided to leave Christmas afternoon, planning to stop in Ohio for the night. Funny thing is - nothing is open on Christmas. The only food we came across was gas station sandwiches in a vending machine. We all got bad stomach cramps that night.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 2 2012, 12:02 AM)
I fully expect Johnny Blaze to have some GREAT answers here! 

It can be anything - weird stuff, dangerous stuff (fugu, anyone?), really gross stuff of unknown origin.  For example, that homemade sausage from the 3rd world market stall.

biggrin.gif Like the thread idea Mara. smile.gif

Yeah, I've had fugu twice. It's pretty damn expensive and it was free for me so there was no way I was going to turn it down (even if it meant my death wink.gif ). Really though, I pretty much couldn't refuse since it was an after work company party and I was forced to sit next to the CEO. Conversation went something like this:

CEO: Johnny-san, have you ever tried fugu?

Me: No, this will be my first time.

CEO: Maybe you won't die.

Me: Maybe I should get more beer just in case I do. I don't want to die without being drunk at least.

CEO: (laughs) Kompai trink39.gif

Fugu is decent but as far as tastiness goes, I'd rather have lobster or crab legs.

Some other stuff:

- shirako (basically translates as "white child"). You guys can do a little research into what it actually is but here's a picture in the meantime:

http://mrtakuya.fc2web.com/gourmet/uminosachi/shirako.jpg

Won't be trying that shit again.

- mystery meat from any number of dirty sidewalk vendors in Vietnam, Thailand, or various other southeast Asian countries. A lot of the stuff looks like meat on skewers so I'll ask if it's chicken or pork or whatnot, and they'll basically not understand my English and only say, "You try." So, I do and somehow I'm still alive. [90% of the time it IS good though]. I reckon the high volumes of beer that I drink when I'm in those countries kills off the evil meat germs. laugh.gif

***Note: Two things I'll never try even though I've seen them for sale numerous times are insects and worms. f**k that. I'd rather take my chances with the fugu and mystery meat skewers.

BONUS anecdote: (in Taiwan) Some buddies and I were walking down the street and hearing all the salesmen screaming their sales pitches and all that from their shop entrances (a totally Asian thing). I don't speak Taiwanese or Chinese but this one dude sounded pretty convincing so I took a closer look at his pet shop: tons of snakes and shaved mice. Shaved mice? Oops, not a pet shop. It was a restaurant! And there were the customers waiting at their tables! ohmy.gif

Funnily, I was willing to eat there (was going to get snake) but my buddies didn't want to give it a go. We opted for mystery meat skewers and heaps of beer. trink38.gif

I hope barney rebel posts something. That dude has stuff in his fridge from the 1960s! And eats it! I can imagine him pulling out a frozen pizza and saying, "Ohhh...1998. That's a good year!"

I'm only half-joking. In fact, he has posted pics of some of his ancient foods before.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 1 2012, 11:06 AM)
I remember driving to MD to visit my wife's family on Christmas. We decided to leave Christmas afternoon, planning to stop in Ohio for the night. Funny thing is - nothing is open on Christmas. The only food we came across was gas station sandwiches in a vending machine. We all got bad stomach cramps that night.

Chinese restaurants are open biggrin.gif

Here's one that I'm just not sure of....

A few years back in the Philippines I was sitting outside boozing and snacking with my uncle and several of the locals. I'm eating whatever the maid keeps serving (and she practically never stops). Most of the food I recognize, some of it I don't but I continue eating (it'd be mildly rude if I refused food). Anyway, the last dish is a somewhat gamey kind of meat that tastes like a cross between goat and lamb. So, it's not bad imho. I ask the uncle what it is and he says straight-faced, "It's the bayag of goats." I turn to my cousin and ask, "Is he serious?" He laughs and says, "Yeah, it is." Still straight-faced the uncle says, "Do you like that?" Torn, I answer, "Actually, it's not bad." I still don't know if they were bullshitting me or not.

P.S. "bayag" = testicles

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

An old friend of mine's father loved pickled herring. He literally used to buy jars of the stuff. One day, he made me try some, and would not let me hang out with my friend until I did, so I did just that.

Absolutely atrociously disgusting, vile crapola. The worst part about it is no matter what you eat afterwards, even if you have a whole bulb of raw garlic, all you can taste is the damn pickled herring. 062802puke_prv.gif

Never again.