Food you've eaten that should have killed you

Mara

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Aug 3 2012, 11:43 PM)
An old friend of mine's father loved pickled herring. He literally used to buy jars of the stuff. One day, he made me try some, and would not let me hang out with my friend until I did, so I did just that.

Absolutely atrociously disgusting, vile crapola. The worst part about it is no matter what you eat afterwards, even if you have a whole bulb of raw garlic, all you can taste is the damn pickled herring. 062802puke_prv.gif

Never again.

I love me some pickled herring, though not quite as much as creamed herring. Occasionally I'll buy a jar, and since my husband won't eat anything that swims, eat it all myself.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 4 2012, 12:06 AM)
QUOTE (bigman208 @ Aug 3 2012, 11:43 PM)
An old friend of mine's father loved pickled herring. He literally used to buy jars of the stuff. One day, he made me try some, and would not let me hang out with my friend until I did, so I did just that.

Absolutely atrociously disgusting, vile crapola. The worst part about it is no matter what you eat afterwards, even if you have a whole bulb of raw garlic, all you can taste is the damn pickled herring.  062802puke_prv.gif

Never again.

I love me some pickled herring, though not quite as much as creamed herring. Occasionally I'll buy a jar, and since my husband won't eat anything that swims, eat it all myself.

It's definitely an aquired taste! laugh.gif

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Aug 3 2012, 11:14 PM)
Ate raw chicken once, and I eat raw eggs all the time. I would like to attempt steak tartare.

Luckily I've been safe so far. The chicken was an accident and not something I plan on trying again.

Not if you want salmonella, GD...

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 5 2012, 08:58 AM)
Ate raw chicken once, and I eat raw eggs all the time. I would like to attempt steak tartare.

Luckily I've been safe so far. The chicken was an accident and not something I plan on trying again.

One year my paternal grandmother poisoned the entire family with the Thanksgiving turkey. She and her sister cooked it about 3/4 of the way, pulled it out of the oven and let it sit on the counter all afternoon, then finished it up before dinner.

No one was seriously ill but we were all puking up our immortal souls the next day.

The sad thing is that no one wanted to hurt her feelings, so she was never told. I know she's wondered for 20 years why no one ever eats poultry at her house anymore. We fill up on side dishes, all the while hissing at any unsuspecting newcomers, "don't eat the chicken."

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 5 2012, 03:28 PM)

One year my paternal grandmother poisoned the entire family with the Thanksgiving turkey. She and her sister cooked it about 3/4 of the way, pulled it out of the oven and let it sit on the counter all afternoon, then finished it up before dinner.

No one was seriously ill but we were all puking up our immortal souls the next day.

The sad thing is that no one wanted to hurt her feelings, so she was never told. I know she's wondered for 20 years why no one ever eats poultry at her house anymore. We fill up on side dishes, all the while hissing at any unsuspecting newcomers, "don't eat the chicken."

Ooo .., oh crikey, Mara... hug2.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 5 2012, 11:28 PM)

Living where I do, raw chicken and steak is common. I've had them both dozens of times (not truly my choice but I ate it) and have never had any problems. Imho, grilled or roast is always best anyhow.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 1 2012, 12:55 PM)
Arby's

I get the trots anytime I eat that crap. laugh.gif

I can't eat this stuff anymore either.

I once ate some cookies that my sister made and instead of putting .5 tbs of baking soda in she put in 5 tbs of baking soda. Two days later, I had lost 5 lbs. Not recommended as a diet.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Aug 7 2012, 01:11 PM)
I once ate some cookies that my sister made and instead of putting .5 tbs of baking soda in she put in 5 tbs of baking soda. Two days later, I had lost 5 lbs. Not recommended as a diet.

Were you..ill..? hug2.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 7 2012, 03:20 PM)

I'm going to guess that much baking soda will give you a case of diarrhea so violent as to launch you off the commode seat.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 7 2012, 06:08 PM)

I'm going to guess that much baking soda will give you a case of diarrhea so violent as to launch you off the commode seat.

http://content6.flixster.com/question/45/27/52/4527524_std.jpg laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 8 2012, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 7 2012, 06:08 PM)

http://content6.flixster.com/question/45/27/52/4527524_std.jpg laugh.gif

Ooooo........ Oh crikey..! ohmy.gif hug2.gif

In any case, having never partaken of any amount of baking soda, you have my sympathies.

And I remember that scene with Jeff Daniels.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 4 2012, 01:10 AM)
That stuff I had at a fear factor competition in Universal Studios.

Leftover fast food meat, rotten clams, octopus, fish head, sour milk, maggots and crickets all in a blender then drank it.

/thread

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 4 2012, 06:10 AM)

Leftover fast food meat, rotten clams, octopus, fish head, sour milk, maggots and crickets all in a blender then drank it.

What happened?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 21 2012, 08:15 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Aug 4 2012, 06:10 AM)

What happened?

I had to sign papers saying I may end up sick or even dead, but that I or my family wouldn't sue. laugh.gif

I did feel queasy but surprisingly I was able to get on roller coasters all day after that. The next day all I could smell was that atrocious scent and I felt very sick, but I never threw up or anything. After that I was pretty much fine.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 21 2012, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 21 2012, 08:15 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Aug 4 2012, 06:10 AM)

What happened?

I had to sign papers saying I may end up sick or even dead, but that I or my family wouldn't sue. laugh.gif

I did feel queasy but surprisingly I was able to get on roller coasters all day after that. The next day all I could smell was that atrocious scent and I felt very sick, but I never threw up or anything. After that I was pretty much fine.

Christ..! ohmy.gif You're brave..! notworthy.gif

I just remember the hot lunches served in public school as a kid were pretty bad. Maybe we were eating pink slime back then ohmy.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 22 2012, 08:03 PM)
I just remember the hot lunches served in public school as a kid were pretty bad. Maybe we were eating pink slime back then ohmy.gif

We had Semolina at school. Tadpoles that was known as. Mist people wouldn't eat it... 062802puke_prv.gif

I once got a severe staff poisining from eating pizza from a dive pizza joint. I spent 8 hours throwing up and having diareah, that I had to be taken to the hospital for an IV due to severe dehydration 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 23 2012, 07:36 AM)
I ate raw lamb once.

I was drunk, now there's a surprise.

Anything I ate or drank for the following week tasted of lamb. Even Guinness.

Both ends burning.

NNNIIIICCCCEEEEE!!!!! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 23 2012, 01:36 PM)
I ate raw lamb once.

I was drunk, now there's a surprise.

Anything I ate or drank for the following week tasted of lamb. Even Guinness.

Both ends burning.

scared.gif scared.gif scared.gif