Clockwork Angels is the best album ever recorded

deslock

After almost two months (about 100 listens), my new Rush album euphoria has warn off and I've concluded:

Clockwork Angels is the best album ever recorded.

Yes, you read that right. My ranking and ratings of the songs:

1. (5.0 stars) Clockwork Angels
  2. (5.0 stars) Headlong Flight
  3. (5.0 stars) The Anarchist
  4. (5.0 stars) BU2B

5. (4.5 stars) Carnies
  6. (4.5 stars) Caravan
  7. (4.0 stars) BU2B2
  8. (4.0 stars) The Wreckers

9. (3.5 stars) Seven Cities of Gold
  10. (3.5 stars) The Garden
  11. (3.0 stars) Halo Effect
  12. (3.0 stars) Wish Them Well
Truth be told, it's not as consistant as Power Windows or Moving Pictures, and I've pulled Halo Effect and Wish Them Well out of the rotation. Some might argue that having a couple good-but-not-great songs should preclude the album from being considered "the best", but the remaining 10 songs are over 57 minutes (and the top 6 songs alone are longer than all of Permanent Waves or Hemispheres).

The combination of jamming, improvisation, groove, hook, solos, fills, great lyrics, pleasant singing, and feel is simply incredible. I've been a fan for over 25 years, and I've never felt this way about a new Rush album (Snakes and Arrows and Counterparts are awesome, but Clockwork Angels is just on a different level).

Of course, this is all IMO and I know many here don't hold the new album in such high regard. But I wanted to share my opinion with those who would understand the magnitude of what I'm feeling, even if they don't agree with my opinion. Normal people just can't grasp how monumental a new Rush album is biggrin.gif

Anyway, thanks for reading.

QUOTE (deslock @ Jul 28 2012, 04:11 PM)
After almost two months (about 100 listens), my new Rush album euphoria has warn off and I've concluded:

Yes, you read that right.  My ranking and ratings of the songs:

1. [*](5.0 stars) Clockwork Angels
    [*](5.0 stars) Headlong Flight
    [*](5.0 stars) The Anarchist
    [*](5.0 stars) BU2B

[*](4.5 stars) Carnies
    [*](4.5 stars) Caravan
    [*](4.0 stars) BU2B2
    [*](4.0 stars) The Wreckers

[*](3.5 stars) Seven Cities of Gold
    [*](3.5 stars) The Garden
    [*](3.0 stars) Halo Effect
    [*](3.0 stars) Wish Them Well

I did an average of all your song scores - the average is 8.54. My average is 8.41, and that's only because I gave BU2B2 a 1 out of 10. Your average is BARELY above mine, and this is your top album of all time? For me it's only somewhere between 8-10 among Rush albums, and it probably doesn't make my top 100 of all time album list.

So does that mean you don't have any albums that you give a 5 out of 5 to every song? I have quite a lot that rate that highly.

I don't want to squelch your enthusiasm, as I agree it's a great album, but best ever? confused13.gif

no.gif

The latest and greatest. Fine if someone thinks this way, it's all individual taste. You can get tired of doing the learning to like game most had to do with Rush albums in the last ten years or more. Clockwork Angels was immediate gratification. yes.gif Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (deslock @ Jul 28 2012, 06:11 PM)

4. (5.0 stars) BU2B

5. (4.5 stars) Carnies
  6. (4.5 stars) Caravan
  7. (4.0 stars) BU2B2

Truth be told, it's not as consistant as Power Windows or Moving Pictures, and I've pulled Halo Effect and Wish Them Well out of the rotation. Some might argue that having a couple good-but-not-great songs should preclude the album from being considered "the best", but the remaining 10 songs are over 57 minutes (and the top 6 songs alone are longer than all of Permanent Waves or Hemispheres).

The combination of jamming, improvisation, groove, hook, solos, fills, great lyrics, pleasant singing, and feel is simply incredible. I've been a fan for over 25 years, and I've never felt this way about a new Rush album (Snakes and Arrows and Counterparts are awesome, but Clockwork Angels is just on a different level).

Of course, this is all IMO and I know many here don't hold the new album in such high regard. But I wanted to share my opinion with those who would understand the magnitude of what I'm feeling, even if they don't agree with my opinion. Normal people just can't grasp how monumental a new Rush album is biggrin.gif

It is magic...is it the best EVER recorded?

cool10.gif

trink38.gif

It's not even the best concept album ever recorded...but...it is magic...and it is every bit the equal to AFTK...PeW...

That's sayin' something.

trink38.gif

cool10.gif

Glad you love it because it may be the last.

Yes, you read that right.  My ranking and ratings of the songs:

4. (5.0 stars) BU2B

5. (4.5 stars) Carnies
  6. (4.5 stars) Caravan
  7. (4.0 stars) BU2B2

Truth be told, it's not as consistant as Power Windows or Moving Pictures, and I've pulled Halo Effect and Wish Them Well out of the rotation.  Some might argue that having a couple good-but-not-great songs should preclude the album from being considered "the best", but the remaining 10 songs are over 57 minutes (and the top 6 songs alone are longer than all of Permanent Waves or Hemispheres).

The combination of jamming, improvisation, groove, hook, solos, fills, great lyrics, pleasant singing, and feel is simply incredible.  I've been a fan for over 25 years, and I've never felt this way about a new Rush album (Snakes and Arrows and Counterparts are awesome, but Clockwork Angels is just on a different level).

Of course, this is all IMO and I know many here don't hold the new album in such high regard.  But I wanted to share my opinion with those who would understand the magnitude of what I'm feeling, even if they don't agree with my opinion.  Normal people just can't grasp how monumental a new Rush album is biggrin.gif

I hope you're not serious with this. CA is a good, but not great, album.

If you think it's the best ever recorded, you must have a very limited collection of music.

4. (5.0 stars) BU2B

5. (4.5 stars) Carnies
  6. (4.5 stars) Caravan
  7. (4.0 stars) BU2B2

I agree but i say the garden should be number 1 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif 1022.gif

4. (5.0 stars) BU2B

5. (4.5 stars) Carnies
  6. (4.5 stars) Caravan
  7. (4.0 stars) BU2B2

the only thing, the garden should be at the top 1022.gif