• Hold Your Fire (1987)
    • Presto (1989)
    • Roll the Bones (1991)
    • Counterparts (1993)
    • Test for Echo (1996)
    • Vapor Trails (2002)
    • Snakes & Arrows (2007)
    • Clockwork Angels (2012)

Used to be Power Windows a long time ago because of the robotic overproduction and lack of a real "rock" feel.

Now it's Snakes and Arrows by a mile. Take out Far Cry and a weak rewrite of YYZ and the rest is very un-Rush like plodding boring preachy hookless horseshit.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roll the Bones.

I'm not a big fan of their early albums, but that's because they are (for the most part) not my cup of tea, not because they are "bad".

Except for Dreamline and Bravado, I find RTB to be middle of the road, pop-rock crap. They don't even sound like Rush to me.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 20 2012, 04:50 PM)
Lyrical synopsis for most of the songs on the first album:

"I'm horny. I really want to bang something. What time is it? Work time or bangin time?"

You say that like it is a bad thing laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 20 2012, 04:59 PM)

The first album is not synthy enough for the new wavers, it's not brickwalled enough for the I-Pod squad, it's not trendy enough for the alternative cock rockers, it's not proggy enough for the hipster pseudo proggers, it's not funky enough for drum and bass crowd, it's too classic rock for the millenium brats who don't want to be seen to be into their dad's music, it's too retro for the retroactive pansies who only want pseudo retro rock, it's too Zeppelin for the Zep haters and Zep plagiarism accusers and because it has Rutsey and no Peart it's not arty farty enough for the snob rockers nor lyrically advanced enough for the Lyric tards and fake intellectual bores who mock the "simplistic" style...

tongue.gif  moon.gif

Damn, u r good Treeduck- pretty much spot on analysis!

Screw all the haters though... 2.gif #1 totally 1022.gif

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jul 21 2012, 07:12 AM)
I am extremely disturbed that, as of this post, Roll The Bones is merely tied for third place. Unacceptable. But I know it can get out there and rock and roll the bones and get busy or kick some gluteus max and pull off a definitive win. I know it. You can do it.

FWIW, I put RTB as 3rd to worst. If not for T4E and VT, it would be. It's definitely circling the bottom of the barrel.

Rush have only had 4 mediocre or bad albums: Presto, RTB, T4E & VT. Any of them would be worthy of winning this contest, although VT is so atrocious that it's hard for me to see any album besting it (or worsting it as the case may be). Some people seem to prefer dogshit to gold. I'll probably never understand. no.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 19 2012, 06:44 PM)

It's not synthy enough for the new wavers, it's not brickwalled enough for the I-Pod squad, it's not trendy enough for the alternative rockers, it's not proggy enough for the hipster pseudo proggers and because it has Rutsey and no Peart it's not arty farty enough for the snob rockers nor lyrically advanced enough for the Lyric tards...

cat.gif

I'm completely confused by the current results.

2.gif

Really?

2.gif

Least favorite?

2.gif

Bizarro TRF and up is really down, left right, black white, right?!?

Lack of Neil, is the only reason I can fathom, but even so...

treeduck's theory is the only one that makes any sense.

I'm completely confused by the current results. I do not understand.

2.gif?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2012, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jul 21 2012, 07:12 AM)
I am extremely disturbed that, as of this post, Roll The Bones is merely tied for third place.  Unacceptable.  But I know it can get out there and rock and roll the bones and get busy or kick some gluteus max and pull off a definitive win.  I know it.  You can do it.

FWIW, I put RTB as 3rd to worst. If not for T4E and VT, it would be. It's definitely circling the bottom of the barrel.

Rush have only had 4 mediocre or bad albums: Presto, RTB, T4E & VT. Any of them would be worthy of winning this contest, although VT is so atrocious that it's hard for me to see any album besting it (or worsting it as the case may be). Some people seem to prefer dogshit to gold. I'll probably never understand. no.gif

That's the way the big wheel spins!

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 21 2012, 07:28 AM)

It's not synthy enough for the new wavers, it's not brickwalled enough for the I-Pod squad, it's not trendy enough for the alternative rockers, it's not proggy enough for the hipster pseudo proggers and because it has Rutsey and no Peart it's not arty farty enough for the snob rockers nor lyrically advanced enough for the Lyric tards...

cat.gif

2.gif

Really?

2.gif

Least favorite?

2.gif

2.gif?

It's equally puzzling to me. 2.gif is a top ten Rush album.

Yeah, it has to be either a lack of Neil (which to me isn't enough of a reason as John Rutsey was a fine drummer, and far more than sufficient for the straight ahead rock and roll of that album) or the lyrics (which weren't really THAT bad - honestly, i'll take the lyrics in Take a Friend or In the Mood over I Think I'm Going Bald or Dog Years any day).

BUT, when you add in a completely kick ass rock and roll album filled with blistering lengthy guitar solos, an album that just puts a ridiculous smile on my face every time I listen to it, it just makes zero sense, absolutely ZERO. fing.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2012, 09:21 AM)

cat.gif

2.gif

Really?

2.gif

Least favorite?

2.gif

2.gif?

Yeah, it has to be either a lack of Neil (which to me isn't enough of a reason as John Rutsey was a fine drummer, and far more than sufficient for the straight ahead rock and roll of that album) or the lyrics (which weren't really THAT bad - honestly, i'll take the lyrics in Take a Friend or In the Mood over I Think I'm Going Bald or Dog Years any day).

BUT, when you add in a completely kick ass rock and roll album filled with blistering lengthy guitar solos, an album that just puts a ridiculous smile on my face every time I listen to it, it just makes zero sense, absolutely ZERO. fing.gif

Wellllllllll

Vapor Trails is my favorite album.

Sooooo.....

tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2012, 10:21 AM)

cat.gif

2.gif

Really?

2.gif

Least favorite?

2.gif

2.gif?

i'll take the lyrics in Take a Friend or In the Mood over I Think I'm Going Bald

i've lost a few more hairs......

i think i'm....i'm going bald......

I THINK I'M GOING BALD!!!!!!! GeddyFinal.gif

i'm not being sarcastic. i love that song. 1022.gif

Who hell voted for A Farewell to Kings and 2112?? confused13.gif ohmy.gif

How could these two albums ever be considered the worst RUSH albums?

And I don't even want to talk about the votes for Caress of Steel...

And Signals?? Really? wacko.gif

I can understand the modern, later albums getting votes here, we've heard plenty about this.

But 2.gif running away with it with 14 votes???? This poll is fuckked up!

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 21 2012, 09:28 AM)

cat.gif

2.gif

Really?

2.gif

Least favorite?

2.gif

2.gif?

I've expanded this post since...

The first album is not synthy enough for the new wavers, it's not brickwalled enough for the I-Pod squad, it's not trendy enough for the alternative cock rockers, it's not proggy enough for the hipster pseudo proggers, it's not funky enough for drum and bass crowd, it's too classic rock for the millenium brats who don't want to be seen to be into their dad's music, it's too retro for the retroactive pansies who only want pseudo retro rock, it's too Zeppelin for the Zep haters and Zep plagiarism accusers and because it has Rutsey and no Peart it's not arty farty enough for the snob rockers nor lyrically advanced enough for the Lyric tards and fake intellectual bores who mock the "simplistic" style...

cool10.gif

Thanks for the addition, treeduck. smile.gif

"This is indeed a disturbing universe." said Maggie Simpson as voiced by James Earl Jones in a Simpson's Treehouse of Horrors episode.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 21 2012, 09:49 AM)

cat.gif

2.gif

Really?

2.gif

Least favorite?

2.gif

2.gif?

Wellllllllll

Sooooo.....

tongue.gif

So... what? Proving you have bad taste? wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2012, 12:16 PM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 21 2012, 09:49 AM)

cat.gif

2.gif

Really?

2.gif

Least favorite?

2.gif

2.gif?

Wellllllllll

Sooooo.....

tongue.gif

So... what? Proving you have bad taste? wink.gif tongue.gif

Different tastes, at least.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 21 2012, 12:21 PM)
Who hell voted for A Farewell to Kings and 2112??  confused13.gif  ohmy.gif

How could these two albums ever be considered the worst RUSH albums?

And I don't even want to talk about the votes for Caress of Steel...

And Signals?? Really?  wacko.gif

I can understand the modern, later albums getting votes here, we've heard plenty about this.

But  2.gif running away with it with 14 votes???? This poll is fuckked up!

wacko.gif  wacko.gif  wacko.gif

goodpost.gif

Was gonna post the same thing.

I voted Presto.

Edited by apetersvt