• Roll the Bones (1991)
    • Counterparts (1993)
    • Test for Echo (1996)
    • Vapor Trails (2002)
    • Snakes & Arrows (2007)
    • Clockwork Angels (2012)

Rush (1974) [ 18 ] [16.67%]

Test for Echo (1996) [ 18 ] [16.67%]

Balance. The Cygnus part of me appreciates the balance. Better. Still precarious and quite illogical (to my mind), but better. At least I don't have to beat my head against a wall anymore (for now). That was starting to hurt.

Just got done listening to:

Caress of Steel (1975) [ 11 ] [10.19%]

11? Really? What a gem.

18 for 2.gif ?

How can anything MP or before get any votes at all?

I'm still pretty confused.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 19 2012, 12:18 PM)
Without a doubt T4E.  062802puke_prv.gif  The title track is alright, but it should have been an instrumental. For the most part this album is uninspired drivel.

I wouldn't call it drivel but it was a big letdown after the awesomeness of Counterparts, IMO.

As for their WORST... That's a tough one but I know I've never been able to really get into Caress of Steel past Bastille Day and Lakeside Park. And I've TRIED, believe me. Many listens.

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (Animate @ Jul 20 2012, 03:50 PM)
could go either Power Windows or Hold Your Fire...... hmmm.... will, HYF has no votes yet, so going that way.

I have learned to appreciate both PowW and HYF, especially individual songs, but it was not easy.

HYF has 8 awesome songs, 1 okay song, and Tai Shan.

It's one of my more favorite albums they've done. Strange how different RUSH fans' opinions on the music can be.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 2 2012, 10:11 AM)
I still don't think I'll ever understand how you can like Presto and dislike RTB, or like CP and dislike T4E.

If RTB was your first Rush album (I think you said it was somewhere?), I can understand how you would have an emotional attachment to it. I just found it too pop-oriented and lightweight.

In fairness, T4E isn't truly awful. It was a disappointment following CP, and they just seemed to be stuck in an uninspired rut.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 2 2012, 08:11 AM)
I still don't think I'll ever understand how you can like Presto and dislike RTB, or like CP and dislike T4E.

Dude, CP is LIGHT YEARS better than T4E. CP was new and fresh, with a great stripped down sound, heavy and just plain had tons of great songs. T4E really has no particularly memorable tracks. Driven is the best thing on T4E, and even that isn't all that great. Plus, some of the lyrics on songs like T4E, Dog Years, Virtuality and Totem are pretty bad. It's not horrible, but it's not very good either.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 2 2012, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 2 2012, 08:11 AM)

Dude, CP is LIGHT YEARS better than T4E. CP was new and fresh, with a great stripped down sound, heavy and just plain had tons of great songs. T4E really has no particularly memorable tracks. Driven is the best thing on T4E, and even that isn't all that great. Plus, some of the lyrics on songs like T4E, Dog Years, Virtuality and Totem are pretty bad. It's not horrible, but it's not very good either.

Well, I see CP as their worst albums, so I will disagree with your analysis. There is one very good song, a couple of good songs, and a whole bunch of stuff that is not up to Rush's standard. I think people like it because it was the first big move to harder music after the much-maligned synth era. T4E keeps that hard sound (and doesn't advance it much) but has many great songs, a few very good ones, and one or two that isn't very strong: an above average effort for post-Signals Rush. I still don't get how people don't like the lyrics on T4E when they are light years ahead of CP's failed attempts to convey issues regarding relationships, proving the wisdom of Neil not having tackled the subject much on other albums.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 2 2012, 12:31 PM)

If RTB was your first Rush album (I think you said it was somewhere?), I can understand how you would have an emotional attachment to it. I just found it too pop-oriented and lightweight.

In fairness, T4E isn't truly awful. It was a disappointment following CP, and they just seemed to be stuck in an uninspired rut.

You are right that it (together with Exit Stage Left) was my introduction to the band. And you're right that it was more pop-oriented than many other Rush offerings. But not moreso than Presto. Presto tried to be pop but failed because it didn't have the song strength. RTB got a slightly better sound (pushing more to guitar) and much better tracks. Which is why I never understood why people could recommend Presto over RTB. I have the same argument regarding CP and T4E.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 2 2012, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Aug 2 2012, 12:31 PM)

You are right that it (together with Exit Stage Left) was my introduction to the band. And you're right that it was more pop-oriented than many other Rush offerings. But not moreso than Presto. Presto tried to be pop but failed because it didn't have the song strength. RTB got a slightly better sound (pushing more to guitar) and much better tracks. Which is why I never understood why people could recommend Presto over RTB. I have the same argument regarding CP and T4E.

RTB is more overtly commercial than Presto, which is why it put off a lot of Rush fans. Presto has maybe 5 good songs on it, while RTB only has a couple. It's appeal was that most of the songs were catchy and simple, which would explain it's commercial success. My sister-in-law bought that album, and she'd always hated Rush. She hasn't liked anything by Rush since then!

Presto tried to be pop but failed because it didn't have the song strength.

I think the subject matter of many of the songs probably had an impact on its general rejection. Bones is way lighter in lyrical content, Superconductor aside.

QUOTE (goose @ Aug 2 2012, 08:46 PM)
Presto tried to be pop but failed because it didn't have the song strength.

I think the subject matter of many of the songs probably had an impact on its general rejection. Bones is way lighter in lyrical content, Superconductor aside.

Well, it's important to remember that "it's general rejection" is only on this board. It is still played on teh radio (the last Rush album to do so consistantly) and it turned back almost a decade of decreasing album sales.

Also, I always found that while the songs were accessible, the lyrics were strong. Presto is horribly uneven, with frivolous songs (Supercondoctur, Anagram, Hand Over Fist), Strong lyrics (The Pass, Available Light), Overly serious (Scars, Red Tide) and just plain weak (much of the rest of the album). RTB does a much better job sticking with a theme, explaining it with stories and lyrics, and keeping it good. The only weak lyrics are Face Up, Nurotica and You Bet your Life. RTB isn't totally consistent, but as a more serious album packaged with better songs in a similarly popular manner, it succeeds more often than Presto. Which is why it succeeded so much more than Presto.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 19 2012, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Jul 19 2012, 05:32 PM)
WTF?!  How is Test for Echo, from their worst decade ever, have the same amount of votes as Rush, which includes Working Man and In the Mood?!

Sometimes, I really don't get what's going in peoples' heads from this forum...

2.gif

It's not synthy enough for the new wavers, it's not brickwalled enough for the I-Pod squad, it's not trendy enough for the alternative rockers, it's not proggy enough for the hipster pseudo proggers and because it has Rutsey and no Peart it's not arty farty enough for the snob rockers nor lyrically advanced enough for the Lyric tards...

cat.gif

goodpost.gif

yup, that pretty much sums it up. blush4.gif

I picked Presto with T4E a very close second. These are the CD's that have the least amount of songs I like on them, so they don't get listened to very often

I'm not surprised by the votes, but I did think that RTB would be lower that T4E. They are my least favorite but there is a country mile between T4E and RTB which I never listen to due to the fact that Dreamline and Bravado are on live releases.

T4E by miles and miles.

I listened to the entire thing recently and I barely remembered any of it after it was done. Most of it is just instantly forgettable. Driven is good, Time and Motion is really good, Virtuality has good music. Everything is is either so bland that I have no real opinion of it, or just down right shitty (Dog Years 062802puke_prv.gif )

Vapor Trails is in my Top 5. It might be my second favorite of all time. Some days, it seems like my favorite. I'll never understand the vitriol that gets flung at it. There is one song on there that I don't like (Sweet Miracle) the rest are brilliant. Even if you don't like the music, the lyrics are beyond great.

Edited by Dscrapre

To the person that voted for AFTK................... bitchslap.gif