Best album ending song?

JohnnyBlaze

Which is the best closing song on the studio albums?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best closing song on the studio albums?

• Working Man
    • In the End
    • Fountain of Lamneth
    • Something for Nothing
    • Cygnus X-1
    • La Villa Strangiato
    • Natural Science
    • Vital Signs
    • Countdown
    • Between the Wheels
    • Mystic Rhythms
    • High Water
    • Available Light
    • You Bet Your Life
    • Everyday Glory
    • Carve Away the Stone
    • Out of the Cradle
    • We Hold On
    • The Garden

In a recent poll called "Rush's best 'modern' slow song", The Garden beat the living hell out of The Pass, Bravado, and Resist. I was surprised by HOW MUCH it beat everything up. So, I'd like to test it's power again. I don't expect it to win but I'd like to see how it goes up against some of these other album-ending beasts. trink38.gif

Interestingly, my #1 and #2 Rush tunes are in this poll...something natural and something strange. 1022.gif

La Villa is my pick with Natural Science just a little behind it. However, there are a lot of good and great songs on that list. I'd put The Garden Somewhere around the middle out of those songs. Maybe 11th or 12th?

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 15 2012, 03:08 PM)
La Villa is my pick with Natural Science just a little behind it. However, there are a lot of good and great songs on that list. I'd put The Garden Somewhere around the middle out of those songs. Maybe 11th or 12th?

Same here, around 11 or 12...except that I picked NS with LVS a little bit behind it.

Imho, there's A LOT OF fluff between Available Light and The Garden.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 15 2012, 01:38 AM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 15 2012, 03:08 PM)

Same here, around 11 or 12...except that I picked NS with LVS a little bit behind it.

Imho, there's A LOT OF fluff between Available Light and The Garden.

While The Garden is a very good song for a band that has been together as long as Rush has, I find it far from their best. I'd say that I like more than half of Rush's other songs better. If we are talking about the songs Clockwork Angels and The Anarchist then I'd say that they might be better than 70 to 80 percent of their other songs. I'd also say that The Garden and Available Light are pretty much neck and neck as far as they go with me.

I'll take that one bold step with The Garden. This song isn't the best song on the list, but it is the best closer. In the context of the rest of the album, it is perfect and doesn't leave me hungry for more like LVS & NS do. There is a stronger sense of finality

I don't think anything will ever truly beat "Natural Science" for me. I think it has everything that makes Rush Rush: it is epic, it is complex and Progressive, it rocks, and it has perhaps Neil's deepest lyrics ever.

In order to give "The Garden" its due, I cleverly cheat by taking it out of the running in these mental contests of "which song is better?" I stick "The Garden" on a list of its own, where it's the only item - this way, it's never worse (and never better) than any other Rush song... because in my mind, it's not in contention with any others! laugh.gif "The Garden" is something special.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 14 2012, 11:55 PM)
In a recent poll called "Rush's best 'modern' slow song", The Garden beat the living hell out of The Pass, Bravado, and Resist. I was surprised by HOW MUCH it beat everything up. So, I'd like to test it's power again. I don't expect it to win but I'd like to see how it goes up against some of these other album-ending beasts.  trink38.gif

Interestingly, my #1 and #2 Rush tunes are in this poll...something natural and something strange.  1022.gif

People are in a honeymoon phase with new Rush. There is just no way Garden is better than the Pass, and its not even close to closers like Natural Science and La Villa. If people actually believe that Im convinced that Im just living in the Matrix.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 15 2012, 07:33 AM)
People are in a honeymoon phase with new Rush. There is just no way Garden is better than the Pass, and its not even close to closers like Natural Science and La Villa. If people actually believe that Im convinced that Im just living in the Matrix.

No way Garden is better than the Pass? I say YES WAY, and by a lot. The Pass is grossly overrated by fans and even by the band itself, IMO. It ain't all that great, while the Garden is VERY powerful.

I'd probably agree that NattySci and La Villa beat Garden, but Garden DESTROYS the Pass in my mind.

Have fun in the matrix. ; )

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 15 2012, 08:14 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 15 2012, 07:33 AM)

No way Garden is better than the Pass? I say YES WAY, and by a lot. The Pass is grossly overrated by fans and even by the band itself, IMO. It ain't all that great, while the Garden is VERY powerful.

I'd probably agree that NattySci and La Villa beat Garden, but Garden DESTROYS the Pass in my mind.

Have fun in the matrix. ; )

goodpost.gif

Natural Science.

Rush has got a lot of strong album closers. The Garden will rank towards the bottom with me. The Garden is better than High Water, You Bet Your Life, Carve Away The Stone, Out Of The Cradle and maybe Everyday Glory and that's about it. The Garden is good but it's just not that good and can't compare with the stellar list of album closers Rush has.

The Garden is a great song and extreme shift for Rush and they should be proud, but in the end Rush isn't a ballad type of band. Years after an album comes out, I generally don't go back to songs like The Pass, Bravado, Resist, or the Garden. They are a novelty at the time but to compare it to NS or LVS is impossible. Not in the same league IMO

Very hard for me to choose one above another. We all have our preferences and no one is truly "correct" (truth is, after all, so poorly lit).

Love Something for Nothing. Love the way CygnusX-1 (!) leads to Hemispheres. La Villa and NatSci leave my jaw on the floor - stunning. Love Vital Signs and Countdown and Mystic Rhythms. Love Available Light.

The Garden is in a league of its own.

Too soon for me to vote with The Garden in the equation. Without The Garden, I prefer (though did not vote for) CygnusX-1.

Currently balancing CygnusX-1 against The Garden...

smile.gif

<corrected lyric reference>

Edited by CygnusGal

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 15 2012, 01:09 AM)
If LaVilla does not win, then you all are worthless and weak.

Natural Science!

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 15 2012, 10:18 AM)

Natural Science!

Me too! I guess we're among the "worthless and weak." If it's any consolation to Pedro, La Villa is my number TWO pick.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 15 2012, 09:18 AM)

Natural Science!

by far....not even close.