Popular Artists you just don't like

Velvet Underground

Yes and yes and yes...

I am sure a couple here might be like "YOU HAD TO BE THERE THEY ONLY RELEASED GREAT MUSIC YOU ARE WRONG AND MISGUIDED!"

Shush. They sucked. And so did Lou Reed. Only album of his I can finish is Lulu. Take that as you wish.

http://images.gibson.com/Lifestyle/English/aaFeaturesImages2010/10-best-covers_velvet-underground_nico.jpg

This one is pretty solid. And Sweet Jane is a fantastic song...especially the cover by Cowboy Junkies. But yeah...their musical catalog is more of a captured vibe than a collection of great songs.

Yeah, I love that one. I have some specific memories of it, from when I was in my early 20s.

Velvet Underground

Yes and yes and yes...

I am sure a couple here might be like "YOU HAD TO BE THERE THEY ONLY RELEASED GREAT MUSIC YOU ARE WRONG AND MISGUIDED!"

Shush. They sucked. And so did Lou Reed. Only album of his I can finish is Lulu. Take that as you wish.

http://images.gibson.com/Lifestyle/English/aaFeaturesImages2010/10-best-covers_velvet-underground_nico.jpg

This one is pretty solid. And Sweet Jane is a fantastic song...especially the cover by Cowboy Junkies. But yeah...their musical catalog is more of a captured vibe than a collection of great songs.

I've tried but...to me it's all the wrong sort of "artsy". I think they'd be forgotten relics of the past if Lou Reed didn't carry on solo.

• Like 1

"The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band." - Brian Eno

I love the Velvet Underground. So many great songs that inspired so many artists. Undeniable influence through out punk rock, post rock, art rock and alternative rock. Does that mean they have to be everyone's cup of tea? Of course not. But they were much more than just a "vibe". The songs are legit. They were a great band.

The Velvet Underground & Nico -> White Light/White Heat -> The Velvet Underground -> Loaded -> V.U. These albums are simply too diverse to be just a vibe. They are blueprints used by so many rock musicians.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

"The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band." - Brian Eno

I love the Velvet Underground. So many great songs that inspired so many artists. Undeniable influence through out punk rock, post rock, art rock and alternative rock. Does that mean they have to be everyone's cup of tea? Of course not. But they were much more than just a "vibe". The songs are legit. They were a great band.

The Velvet Underground & Nico -> White Light/White Heat -> The Velvet Underground -> Loaded -> V.U. These albums are simply too diverse to be just a vibe. They are blueprints used by so many rock musicians.

Aww this was interesting...

I think I will put them back on my list of bands to revisit. I will try and bear this all in mind. If I don't like it I'd like to understand their place in rock history more.

I think I will put them back on my list of bands to revisit. I will try and bear this all in mind. If I don't like it I'd like to understand their place in rock history more.

I would also point out that the Velvet Underground is much more than just Lou Reed. They were a band where each member contributed substantially to define the sound. They rarely, if ever, repeated themselves. Each album is unique. White Light/White Heat is dissonant, loud, electric and distorted. The very next album, The Velvet Underground, is subtle, folksy, melodic and acoustic. They whack you with a baseball bat, push you into a seedy back room, then nurse you back to health.

I would also point out that the Velvet Underground is much more than just Lou Reed. They were a band where each member contributed substantially to define the sound. They rarely, if ever, repeated themselves. Each album is unique. White Light/White Heat is dissonant, loud, electric and distorted. The very next album, The Velvet Underground, is subtle, folksy, melodic and acoustic. They whack you with a baseball bat, push you into a seedy back room, then nurse you back to health.

I'm listening to arty modern rock like Thrice and Brand New, and am also in the mood for the likes of My Bloody Valentine and Smashing Pumpkins...maybe the time is right to try these guys again.

Depeche Mode again.

This makes me sad.

But I get it!

• Like 1

Depeche Mode again.

This makes me sad.

But I get it!

Just a little too synthy for my taste.

Fifth Harmony. Sorry, Segue.

They are by far the dirtiest, guiltiest pleasure I have ever had!

It saddens me you feel the need to say sorry :laughing guy:

• Like 2

Well, we dislike a lot of the same bands, anyway.
  • Like 1

Well, we dislike a lot of the same bands, anyway.

I enjoy 5H because they remind me of the 90's rnb I grew up on. It's not special at all its just a dumb thing I enjoy...sort of like loving White Chicks when you know it's a truly rubbish film haha

• Like 1

I must be getting old. I haven't heard a single thing on popular radio in the past 10 years that I like. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

I must be getting old. I haven't heard a single thing on poplar radio in the past 10 years that I like.

It's not a sign of old age.

Nearly everything I like from the radio I like in spite of my own good sense!

Almost like Stockholm Syndrome...I find myself warming to artists I normally wouldn't give a passing glance too haha

• Like 2

A few "legendary rock" bands i don't get.

The Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Led Zeppelin(Although this one can work on occasion)

Mic

Agreed on all three. Even your opinion on Zep.

Although I wasn't kidding when I said I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing is one of my favourite songs.

The Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Mic

Although I wasn't kidding when I said I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing is one of my favourite songs.

Cheesy power ballad......but it works, lol

Mick

• Like 1

The Rolling Stones

Aerosmith

Mic

Cheesy power ballad......but it works, lol

Mick

It does! I was also about 7 years old when I heard it and it's always been a tune loved in my home.

• Like 2

Not the biggest Nirvana fan, gotta say. Pearl Jam was miles better IMO, but then again they really weren't as similar as their common "grunge" label would imply.
  • Like 2

Not the biggest Nirvana fan, gotta say. Pearl Jam was miles better IMO, but then again they really weren't as similar as their common "grunge" label would imply.

I love Nirvana mainly for nostalgia, as like many they shaped my formative years. But I will be honest and say they have some really awful moments...and every album is tainted by filler.

I enjoy bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. But I don't really associate them with grunge, although truth be told I don't really know what grunge is haha!

• Like 3

I love Nirvana mainly for nostalgia, as like many they shaped my formative years. But I will be honest and say they have some really awful moments...and every album is tainted by filler.

I enjoy bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. But I don't really associate them with grunge, although truth be told I don't really know what grunge is haha!

I totally get that. I think I was just exposed to the kind of angst and super distorted screaming melodicism that Nirvana popularized in other forms with other ingredients added in before I really heard much Nirvana, so when I heard them I was like "why is this special?" I do enjoy them sometimes, I even own Nevermind on vinyl (truth be told I bought it one day because I decided I would make an event out of actually giving them a chance for once), but I just never relate to the supposedly universal love and respect for them, especially any ideas of Kurt Cobain being one of the best guitarists ever (which I do not believe).

Also, I don't think anyone really knows what grunge is. Lol.

• Like 1