Clockwork Angels, a Masterpiece

canadianice

I think its safe to say that anyone who considers CA a masterpiece either has low standards in music, or is an employee of the band. No other way to explain it.

Right...when I first heard this album, I thought it was an instant classic. A part of me still does! But when I first heard CA I was only partially a fan of the older material, not the big fan I am now!

Now that I have every album from the debut through to Hold Your Fire, I can happily say I have found many genuine masterpieces, albums that belong, not on a list of great albums, because how can anyone be compared to Rush? Rather, they are in a league of their own, and the finest are UNTOUCHABLE!

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Grace Under Pressure

Then a few slightly lesser albums: Signals, Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, Fly By Night...good grief these '70's/'80's albums are timeless rock masterworks! When I heard them the first time, I was "meh". Then gradually I saw the light and mast of these albums are permanent favourites.

As for Clockwork Angels: I can't listen to it anymore! After fully discovering the magic of vintage Rush, the newer Rush sounds so...I don't know...lifeless? It's a beautiful album, I rank it very highly in fact! But I find it hard to believe anybody could listen to AFTK of Permanent Waves and think they were inferior!

Its a marvellous modern metal album, a real achievement for the band (and in the hands of any other group, it would be the pinnacle achievement of any bands career). But coming from Rush, CA is merely a good album. Five Stars to the unititiated, perhaps a three to the old timers.

I love it very much, but now I am well acquainted with old Rush I am afraid its ridiculously overshadowed!

But as for fans of CA having low standards...good grief! GEMINI RISING BAH HUMBUG TO YOU TOO!

• Like 1

I think its safe to say that anyone who considers CA a masterpiece either has low standards in music, or is an employee of the band. No other way to explain it.

Right...when I first heard this album, I thought it was an instant classic. A part of me still does! But when I first heard CA I was only partially a fan of the older material, not the big fan I am now!

Now that I have every album from the debut through to Hold Your Fire, I can happily say I have found many genuine masterpieces, albums that belong, not on a list of great albums, because how can anyone be compared to Rush? Rather, they are in a league of their own, and the finest are UNTOUCHABLE!

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Grace Under Pressure

Then a few slightly lesser albums: Signals, Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, Fly By Night...good grief these '70's/'80's albums are timeless rock masterworks! When I heard them the first time, I was "meh". Then gradually I saw the light and mast of these albums are permanent favourites.

As for Clockwork Angels: I can't listen to it anymore! After fully discovering the magic of vintage Rush, the newer Rush sounds so...I don't know...lifeless? It's a beautiful album, I rank it very highly in fact! But I find it hard to believe anybody could listen to AFTK of Permanent Waves and think they were inferior!

Its a marvellous modern metal album, a real achievement for the band (and in the hands of any other group, it would be the pinnacle achievement of any bands career). But coming from Rush, CA is merely a good album. Five Stars to the unititiated, perhaps a three to the old timers.

I love it very much, but now I am well acquainted with old Rush I am afraid its ridiculously overshadowed!

But as for fans of CA having low standards...good grief! GEMINI RISING BAH HUMBUG TO YOU TOO!

Now you get it....................... :codger: :ebert:

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Grace Under Pressure

CA is the colossus of Rush music

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Grace Under Pressure

CA is the colossus of Rush music

More like colossal misstep.

As I do enjoy Clockwork Angels and it has reinvigorated my passion for the band, it still doesn't make my top 5............ :codger: Just an old man's opinion
  • Like 1

Its hard to have a top five when their are about eight albums all good enough for the number one slot.
  • Like 2

Its hard to have a top five when their are about eight albums all good enough for the number one slot.

Hard for me to put any stock in your opinion when you think Power Windows is one of the worst Rush has ever done. CA is easily better than anything before Hemispheres.

• Like 1

Hard for me to put any stock in your opinion when you think Power Windows is one of the worst Rush has ever done. CA is easily better than anything before Hemispheres.

Couldn't disagree more if I tried. But I will say this..............

Definition: Individuality; the quality or character of a particular person or thing that distinguishes them from others of the same kind ; separate existence...................... Wouldn't life be dull without this word? :codger: :yes: :cheers:

In my book, Clockwork Angels is better than anything before Hemispheres, or anything since. Even Permanent Waves! :yes:

Clockwork Angels and Hemispheres are my two favourite Rush albums. I love them differently but equally. I also have the great good fortune of not feeling threatened by the opinions of other people :LOL:

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

I think some people on the fence will be pushed to declaring it a masterpiece once the live dvd/cd comes out. After hearing many CA tracks on the live audio preview stream, I can see how that will happen.

If that's your attitude fine.

Its hard for me to put stock in your opinion when you talk like that.

A Farewell To Kings and 2112 weaker than Clockwork Angels? I would love for you to elaborate but I really couldn't care.

• Like 1

A Farewell To Kings and 2112 weaker than Clockwork Angels? I would love for you to elaborate but I really couldn't care.

Nothing against AFtK and 2112, but I'd definitely take CA over them.

• Like 1

Well that is a nicer way to put it! Would you care to elaborate? I enjoy differing opinions tactfully communicated.

And when talking about 2112, I must confess I often forget about Side B. As an album, there is a strong possibility CA tops it in my mind!

• Like 1

Well that is a nicer way to put it! Would you care to elaborate? I enjoy differing opinions tactfully communicated.

And when talking about 2112, I must confess I often forget about Side B. As an album, there is a strong possibility CA tops it in my mind!

It really just comes down to CA having more stuff that I like.

AFtK has three songs that are utterly fantastic, one nice little tune, and a couple that I'm not very fond of. 2112 has the great title track, a couple of other really good ones, and one that I dislike. CA has eleven songs that are at least pretty good, a number of which are great. And even the ones that aren't great have some great things about them. BU2B2 is the only one I'd happily dispose of.

It seems like a lot of people would gladly take Xanadu or 2112 (the song) over anything on Rush's recent albums. I'm not one of those people. As much as I love those tunes on the whole, they both have sections I don't especially enjoy. Personally, I'd take The Anarchist over anything on AFtK or 2112.

• Like 1

Sorry....I came off a little harsh. I do realize music is subjective and I'm really not one of the a**es on this board. It's just hard for me to fathom how Anybody could consider Power Windows a weak record. Power and Grace are 80's classics.

• Like 3

Sorry....I came off a little harsh. I do realize music is subjective and I'm really not one of the a**es on this board. It's just hard for me to fathom how Anybody could consider Power Windows a weak record. Power and Grace are 80's classics.

Okay lets be buddies!

Well I am torn on PoW. It does nothing for me, I find it so...well hard to care about! The synths are so thick and for me it lacks the rock edge of Signals, the beauty of GuP and the guilty pleasure vibe of Hold Your Fire. For whatever reason, I just don't like it and I can't explain why! Its even the sort of music I enjoy, but when I play it I just fine it a chore!

• Like 1

Okay lets be buddies!

Well I am torn on PoW. It does nothing for me, I find it so...well hard to care about! The synths are so thick and for me it lacks the rock edge of Signals, the beauty of GuP and the guilty pleasure vibe of Hold Your Fire. For whatever reason, I just don't like it and I can't explain why! Its even the sort of music I enjoy, but when I play it I just fine it a chore!

Other than a few songs, you just explained my relationship with Hold Your Fire. I still remember being slightly let down after picking it up the minute it went on sale. Only SnA and T4E have had that initial disappointment with me. T4E ended up growing on me while the other two not as much.

Edited by presto123
  • Like 1

Well I had high expectations for Power Windows.

I had very, very low expectations for Hold Your Fire.

Go figure.

But saying that, having enjoyed HYF more than I had expected, I am now more hopeful about the seven remaining albums I have left to collect! So the box set is looking more and more attractive every day! Out of 13 albums, I struggle with only one. Not bad going, eh?

Edited by Segue Myles

Go figure.

But saying that, having enjoyed HYF more than I had expected, I am now more hopeful about the seven remaining albums I have left to collect! So the box set is looking more and more attractive every day! Out of 13 albums, I struggle with only one. Not bad going, eh?

Oh...how I envy you. I still remember scraping up money to get another Rush record that I had yet to discover. Plus, that was the time where I was developing as a drummer and learning all the Peart licks with each new record. Magical times. There is hardly a nuance of any Rush song that I don't know now. That's why I crave new Rush recordings more than concerts these days. I have seen the band over 30 times, but the records are few and far between these days:)

• Like 3

Go figure.

Oh...how I envy you. I still remember scraping up money to get another Rush record that I had yet to discover. Plus, that was the time where I was developing as a drummer and learning all the Peart licks with each new record. Magical times. There is hardly a nuance of any Rush song that I don't know now. That's why I crave new Rush recordings more than concerts these days. I have seen the band over 30 times, but the records are few and far between these days:)

I think the envy might should be the other way around. Your Rush resume looks pretty stout to me and you play drums too :NP: ............. :notworthy: