I still don't know who the Watchmaker is...

CantStopThinkingBig

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=74766&st=40

I think The Watchmaker definitely represents a higher power in control. The fact that Neil chose to name this power "The Watchmaker" is not accidental. It means that The Watchmaker can also be seen as the idea of a God, or organised religion.

The Watchmaker is clearly a nod to the "Watchmaker analogy" which originally was an argument for the existence of God. It states that an intelligent design like the universe must have been designed by someone, like a watch was made by a watchmaker. But Charles Darwin and Richard Dawkins came up with theories where a design is not necessary. (Evolution). Therefore denying the existence of God.

he left it a bit ambiguous for people to make their own idea of what the "Watchmaker" is in their life, is my take on it.

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 24 2012, 03:06 PM)
He's going to end up being more like the Wizard of Oz than a god.

I agree. I think he's a tyrant not a god. But it is left ambiguous.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 24 2012, 04:23 PM)
The Watchmaker is the Watchmaker. Simple. Everyone likes to have something to compare it to. But what if there IS nothing?

cant think of too many songs from them that mean nothing

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jun 24 2012, 03:25 PM)
The Watchmaker is the Watchmaker. Simple. Everyone likes to have something to compare it to. But what if there IS nothing?

Mal Nar?

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jun 24 2012, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jun 24 2012, 03:25 PM)

Mal Nar?

means something to me....

but the point was lyrically inclined

The Watchmaker analogy is a very well known teleological argument (which I explained in my post above).

The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design is a very famous book by the British ethologist and atheist Richard Dawkins.

Neil Peart reads many books. He must know about The Watchmaker Analogy and the book by Dawkins. Peart using the name Watchmaker is not a coincidence I think.

Isn't this obvious? Or am I crazy?

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 24 2012, 04:50 PM)
The Watchmaker analogy is a very well known teleological argument (which I explained in my post above).

The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design is a very famous book by the British ethologist and atheist Richard Dawkins.

Neil Peart reads many books. He must know about The Watchmaker Analogy and the book by Dawkins. Peart using the name Watchmaker is not a coincidence I think.

Very much intentional.

You are doing a fine job explaining this to others who have not heard of this.

The watchmaker is time itself.

It is ever-present. It guides our decisions. It never relents.

Time loves us all to death

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 24 2012, 04:50 PM)

Maybe I should read books too...

Since there is a literal watchmaker in the story playing the role of an analogy, he must be fake to some degree. i.e. the Wizard of Oz comparison. Do you think Neil will have a real god in his story? Another name for the Watchmaker Analogy is the Watchmaker Fallacy.

I predict a short, bald guy behind a curtain and steam driven Clockwork Angels.

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 24 2012, 05:58 PM)
I think the "they move like living things" line is a clear indication about the fake angels and watchmaker.

Agreed. yes.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 24 2012, 07:23 PM)
The watchmaker is time itself.

It is ever-present. It guides our decisions. It never relents.

Time loves us all to death

Woah. Woah.

O_O

Awesome.

Stars aglow like scattered sparks

Span the sky in clockwork arcs

Hint at more than we can see

Spiritual machinery

HINT!

To me it holds the greatest irony of any Rush song in that it is evangelical.

But I always wondered, if this is a Clockwork Angel I have some questions. Does God make Angels work? Kind of sucks if they have to ya know. Or is this guy just a possible product of evolution? Maybe it's simply a slave to the Watchmaker. Or is this how God turns the clock and makes time move? smile.gif

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/yangster1020/rush%20stuff/SALworkinangels1.jpg