Touring with an Orchestra

ScottT67

As I bask in the euphoric light of new / unknown Rush material, and it metamorphoses into known Rush material, I would bet my Hostess Donettes that they tour with an Orchestra. That being said, is there any doubt that the Manhattan Project will be in he set list! smile.gif

What other Rush songs with strings will they put in the setlist, with a touring orchestra?

Anyone???

Anyone???

I am really savoring each bite of this album. They are in fact still evolving - still improving! Truly amazing! We are all so fortunate to be influenced by these guys!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottT67 @ Jun 15 2012, 10:22 AM)
As I bask in the euphoric light of new / unknown Rush material, and it metamorphoses into known Rush material, I would bet my Hostess Donettes that they tour with an Orchestra. That being said, is there any doubt that the Manhattan Project will be in he set list! smile.gif

What other Rush songs with strings will they put in the setlist, with a touring orchestra?

Anyone???

Anyone???

I am really savoring each bite of this album. They are in fact still evolving - still improving! Truly amazing! We are all so fortunate to be influenced by these guys!

God I hope they don't tour with an orchestra. I will be paying hard money to see Rush, aka the Holy Trinity. I'm not paying to see an orchestra. If Rush's music was more symphonic then I could see it, but for the most part they're a hard rock band.

Bad, bad idea in my humble opinion.

If they do tour with an orchestra or a smaller string section, which is my preference not only do I think Manahattan project will be in the set list but these as well:

Losing It

Tears

Different Strings

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (bis88 @ Jun 15 2012, 09:34 AM)
+ different string! yes perfect! popcorn.gif

Just to hear Alex's solo on "Different Strings" completed Live would be worth the price of admission alone!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

String section =/= orchestra. I guess I'd be okay with a string quartet as long as front row stayed front row, and isn't pushed back to accommodate the extra musicians. But, obviously, Rush is three guys and that's who I'd like to see up onstage.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 15 2012, 10:12 AM)
String section =/= orchestra. I guess I'd be okay with a string quartet as long as front row stayed front row, and isn't pushed back to accommodate the extra musicians. But, obviously, Rush is three guys and that's who I'd like to see up onstage.

Oh Kelly not only do I think you would like it. I think it would bring tears (in a good way) to your eyes when you hear Geddy singing BU2B2 or Tears or Losing it!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

It will be like a triple rainbow!

yes.gif

I said this in another thread, but what if they have the orchestra playing on a screen behind them? This doesn't change the three-some dynamic of Rush and the orchestra could be triggered on certain songs. Obviously prerecorded before the tour. I think this would work.

Thoughts anyone?

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 15 2012, 12:39 PM)

I said this in another thread, but what if they have the orchestra playing on a screen behind them? This doesn't change the three-some dynamic of Rush and the orchestra could be triggered on certain songs. Obviously prerecorded before the tour. I think this would work.

Thoughts anyone?

That would be pretty insulting to the string players! This is worse than having them playing back stage with a camera on them, which is pretty insulting in its self. RUSH are foremost musicians, prior to being 2.gif . They wouldn't insult a group of fellow musicians with a slap to the face like that. They have way more class. The only thing I can see them doing if they don't have actual musicians playing is sampling the strings and triggering them live. (No video on screen).

no.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jun 15 2012, 12:39 PM)

I said this in another thread, but what if they have the orchestra playing on a screen behind them? This doesn't change the three-some dynamic of Rush and the orchestra could be triggered on certain songs. Obviously prerecorded before the tour.  I think this would work.

Thoughts anyone?

That would be pretty insulting to the string players! This is worse than having them playing back stage with a camera on them, which is pretty insulting in its self. RUSH are foremost musicians, prior to being 2.gif . They wouldn't insult a group of fellow musicians with a slap to the face like that. They have way more class. The only thing I can see them doing if they don't have actual musicians playing is sampling the strings and triggering them live. (No video on screen).

no.gif

Who cares? Having an orchestra would be insulting to the fans.

No need for them at a rock concert...the samples/triggers would be good enough.

i find all of the negativity to strings quite amazing - i remember being in the front row at the secc when plant and paige toured - it was fk'n awesome - i saw mike oldfield on tour in the 80's with a string section in the apollo glasgow again bloody awesome - neither of those tours were some "dilution" of the artists involved

d

QUOTE (s_b_g @ Jun 15 2012, 02:28 PM)
i find all of the negativity to strings quite amazing - i remember being in the front row at the secc when plant and paige toured - it was fk'n awesome - i saw mike oldfield on tour in the 80's with a string section in the apollo glasgow again bloody awesome - neither of those tours were some "dilution" of the artists involved

d

Don't get me wrong...I enjoy some performances with them. Both the Metallica and KISS ones were good.

BUT...I just don't want to see it for Rush. I much prefer the trio alone with samplers and whatnot.

Personal preference.