Alex's Hentor Sportscaster

LerxstLuthier

Hi everyone,

I have been given the green light to make replicas of Alex's hentor sportscaster!

I am going to pick it up perhaps some time next week so that I can accurately replicate it. I've worked on this guitar before and of all of Alex's guitars that I've worked on this one (OK next to the 355) was my favorite. The tone, hardware, layout of controls and particularly the neck feel and construction made this a magical guitar in my opinion.

Because of Alex's exclusivity deal with Gibson he cannot endorse the replicas, but he asked that for every guitar I sell I make a donation to Grapes Under Pressure, his charity.

Exciting huh?

I will be documenting this little adventure on my youtube channel.

I hope some of you stick with me and come along for the ride! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Cheers,

Freddy

• Like 2

Nice! Thanks for the info Freddy. I look forward to seeing what you do. I really enjoy your videos!

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 14 2012, 03:57 PM)
Hi everyone,
I have been given the green light to make replicas of Alex's hentor sportscaster!
I am going to pick it up perhaps some time next week so that I can accurately replicate it. I've worked on this guitar before and of all of Alex's guitars that I've worked on this one (OK next to the 355) was my favorite. The tone, hardware, layout of controls and particularly the neck feel and construction made this a magical guitar in my opinion. 
Because of Alex's exclusivity deal with Gibson he cannot endorse the replicas, but he asked that for every guitar I sell I make a donation to Grapes Under Pressure, his charity.
Exciting huh?
I will be documenting this little adventure on my youtube channel.
I hope some of you stick with me and come along for the ride! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 
Cheers,
Freddy

OH MY GOD!!! How much will you be selling them for? I would love to buy one!! 1022.gif AlexFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif How many will you be making cause I gotta get my hands on one!!

Edited by default236

Sign me up for ser# 001 of your replicas!!!!!

There are already 2 orders in. But if you are serious I will ask them if they don't mind getting numbers 002 and 003.

OH MY GOD!!! How much will you be selling them for? I would love to buy one!! 1022.gif AlexFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif How many will you be making cause I gotta get my hands on one!!

I have a few details to work out before I can begin to put together a price. For instance, which era of the Hentor? There was the floyd with no fine tuners, the floyd with fine tuners, and perhaps the mods that I will be performing to it now. Once I get it in my hands my goal will be not only to blueprint it in every detail but also to get it back into performance shape and that might mean upgrades to certain things.

Very cool, Freddie. I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread for shizzle.

I had the son of the guy who make the Shark necks email at one point but nothing came of it. I made a hentor from a stock 77 strat and wish it had a slightly flatter radius to better compliment the no fine tuners Floyd. Just something to consider..

I'd love to see Alex pull out a hentor for one song these days.

Can't wait to see pics and vies. I may have to sell some gear to fund one of these. smile.gif

Woohoo!

Just picked up the Hentor this morning. Nice drive to the outskirts of Toronto cool.gif

When I finish some other jobs that have looming deadlines I'll get the Hentor on the bench and post some info. Hopefully in a couple of days.

Cheers!

Freddy

Nice! Looking forward to the video documentation.

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 18 2012, 01:57 PM)
Hey fellas, let me tell you one thing. There are some surprising details regarding this guitar and what makes it what it is. All shall be revealed!

Now this is the stuff I want to know!

The ones I built were visually close but I never could find all the little details about these guitars.

Do you just have the white one? Are the black one and red one still around?

Hi Pete,

I've seen the ones you put together and I'll say right now, you did a lovely job!

No I just got the white one, it was the only one that interested me as the other two (I worked on those as well) were....meh.

There is something very toneful and special about the white one. I remember the first time I plugged it in...it was like alarms went off! Unlike any other strat or so called "super-strat" I'd ever heard.

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 18 2012, 03:39 PM)
Hi Pete,

I've seen the ones you put together and I'll say right now, you did a lovely job!

No I just got the white one, it was the only one that interested me as the other two (I worked on those as well) were....meh.
There is something very toneful and special about the white one. I remember the first time I plugged it in...it was like alarms went off! Unlike any other strat or so called "super-strat" I'd ever heard.

Thanks!

You're the same guy who refinished his white 355, correct?

If so I know we talked before.

This is a very exciting project you have there. I wish I'd have scored that!

Please, please, please take lots of pics!!

Pete,

Yes, I'm the luthier that restored Alex's 355.

I will document the guitar in pictures and video.

Right now it needs a lot of work, it's been sadly neglected. So part of the deal is that I do whatever it takes to make the guitar a 100% performance machine again. I'm humbled to be entrusted with this task and I am so looking forward to working on this axe again and bringing her back to her former glory (or beyond!)

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 18 2012, 03:17 PM)
Pete,

Yes, I'm the luthier that restored Alex's 355.
I will document the guitar in pictures and video.
Right now it needs a lot of work, it's been sadly neglected. So part of the deal is that I do whatever it takes to make the guitar a 100% performance machine again. I'm humbled to be entrusted with this task and I am so looking forward to working on this axe again and bringing her back to her former glory (or beyond!)

You are so lucky! 1287.gif If I was old enough to work, I wish I had your job. rofl3.gif yes.gif trink39.gif

Edited by default236

QUOTE (SignatureAurora75 @ Jun 18 2012, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 18 2012, 12:55 PM)
Alright, here's a teaser...
Look what's scratched on the trem spring cover plate  biggrin.gif 

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/P1030292-1.jpg

If I'm looking at that right, "AZ 73" ???? Any meaning?

Alex Zivoinovich 1973 ?

Gotta say that my favorite Hentor was Big Al's red one with the mirror pick guard that was shown in the Distant Early Warning video.

Freddy are you making those red ones too, or are you just making the one Hentor? In what way is the one you have better than the red one?