Alex's Hentor Sportscaster

LerxstLuthier

Thanks!

How'd I know that question was coming? wink.gif It was about 2009. I tried to buy a "real" L500L from Bill and Becky. After a couple un-returned phone calls and a few un-returned emails over the course of a couple of months, I caved and bought BL USA. Maybe that was the issue.

I have seen some of the internet shouting matches on this topic, and I'm not taking sides, but customer service is part of doing business. Others on other forums suggested just lobbing the money over via PayPal, trusting that the pickups would show up, no reply, no ship confirm, but I had some questions I wanted to ask, and well, water under the bridge.

Considering your experience and knowledge, I'm more likely to believe you when you say there's a difference. That said, I'm not sure I'm going to continue chasing the L500. I've been thinking about going all singles by loading an SSL-5 I have into the bridge, though I have been lazy about getting a pick guard to accommodate it. The 57+ is really satisfying back there, so it's going to stay for a while.

Too bad about your experience with Bill & Becky's customer service, that was unfortunate to say the least. I think they must have realized they weren't doing their business any good because now they are right on top of it.

I don't know about the internet shouting matches. What I do know is that the Lawrence USA pickups I have tried were dogs, just ...blah. Bill and Becky's L500's have a ferocious snarl and harmonic richness that brings me right back to the very first time I plugged the Hentor in and made me go "WOW"!

I did read (later) that Bill and Becky had some issues around the time I was trying to contact them (late 2008, early 2009).

Perhaps I will try another someday. Nothing's happening to my Hentor until I see this thread to its conclusion, however!

As for the shouting matches, do yourself a favor and don't do too much searching for information about BL pickups!

While we're chatting, may I ask a "professional" question? I've read tons of threads and articles (and watched a few videos) about fret leveling. I'm pretty handy with tools, and am pretty DIY in general, so I've been thinking about getting myself setup with some StewMac tools and giving this a go (fret leveling/dressing that is). I've found some cheap guitars in the local classifieds to hone (bad pun?) my skills on. So, crazy talk? Is this type of work within the realm of skilled DIYer, or should I just hire out (too bad I can't pop into your shop)?

I have an old Squire strat that I intend to do my first refret on after watching Freddy's video. I got it for $200 in the late 80s. It is a guitar I can't justify sending it to someone to charge more than what I bought it for just for a fret job. If I screw it up I can get a replacement neck easily enough. smile.gif

You know, I don't think I've watched Freddy's video. I'll have to look it up (unless you have a link handy). The necks on my Sportscaster, Tele, and Epi LP are all in pretty good shape (for a player that's in my shape). I have an Epi Dot that has pretty much become my "number 1". After fitting it with a GraphTech bridge and nut, and lowering the action a bit, I've found some dead frets. I raised the action a bit and sorted it out, but in the process started thinking about leveling.

Now, my Dot is not exactly the kind of guitar you throw a bunch of money at (nor is the neck easily replaceable), but well, as mentioned, I like doing things myself when it makes sense. As is, after putting real Gibson 57 Classics in, along with the bridge and nut, I've already put more money in it than some would say is reasonable. For me, it feeds my tinkering need and well, I just can't justify real 335 money.

I figure if I learn to do this myself, I can possibly get my four mid-level axes in the best shape possible, maybe hook up a couple of friends. The journey is as important as the destination with this kind of stuff - with me anyway.

Here's chapter one. I think there are 4 parts. I subscribe to his YouTube channel which is the best way to check his stuff out.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Thanks for making the videos in the first place! I cleaned up my link since you went fancy with yours. tongue.gif

Thanks for the links, both of you. Freddy, if half of the YouTube how-to videos were as well made and informative as these, the world would be a better place.

However, since I'm not looking for a re-fret, but a leveling of existing, that part was a little skipped over. I understand that the EJ didn't need leveling, and I did learn a lot, but well, I'm coming off as whiny aren't I. I don't mean to be.

I think you've answered my question in that you posting this stuff means you think that DIYers can tackle some of these jobs if appropriate care and patience is observed.

Thanks again, for today's chat, for the videos, and for your build threads.

I wonder if Freddy is trapped under something heavy in his shop? Should we call the local hospitals? unsure.gif

Only joking of course, can't Rush a professional (pun intended); but I wonder if I will see the strat at the October show in Philly? I thought it was a maybe, now I'd have to say maybe not. Oh well, either way still gonna be a great show.

2.gif

Edited by jdouglas

hehe...still alive and kicking!

The Hentor will be back with Alex this week. I don't know if he's going to take it out on tour though.

As far as my schedule goes I build from autumn through spring, so the first ones will be ready early 2013.

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 30 2012, 05:12 PM)
hehe...still alive and kicking!
The Hentor will be back with Alex this week. I don't know if he's going to take it out on tour though.
As far as my schedule goes I build from autumn through spring, so the first ones will be ready early 2013.

Awesome. smile.gif

Christmas is coming and I have to write my letter to Santa soon. Can I include a Hentor Sportscaster on my list to the big guy or what? :drool:

I got an email from Freddy a couple of days ago with all the details on the hentors, so it sounds like he is ready to take orders. If you are interested you should contact him, or drop me a note and I will forward on his email.

Thanks tskidmore,

I have been taking orders for Hentor replicas. The builds are underway. Being a one man operation I am only building a limited number this season....they will be completed by the spring of 2013.

There are still some available slots if anyone would like their Hentor this spring.

I have been asked a few times now what the difference is in the Hentor Replicas I'm making and just going out and building one as a partscaster. Many people have done just that....but I can say that without knowing the properties of the real Hentor, a parts(sports)caster build will almost certainly not sound anything like Alex's. Also, since I'm handmaking each one, I will be cloning the shape and feel of the neck which is really comfy and a bit uniquely shaped. I can undersatnd why Alex chose this neck, it feels a lot like the neck of his original ES-355 (please note that the Gibson custom shop AL-355 necks are nothing like Alex's original)

Anyway, my homepage, www.freddysfrets.com will point you to the info needed to configure options for your Hentor.

Cheers!

Freddy

Thanks for your patience everyone. I know it must seem like a tease to have to wait for some pics. I have set up a session for Friday night to do a video shoot and photos of the Hentor. I just want to do it right. Really, I should have just done the photo and video shoot before even releasing the news that I have the guitar, then presented it all at once so nobody had to wait. But my own excitement overcame me! common001.gif

But I'll tell you what, here's a couple of quick snaps :

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/Hentor1.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/hentor2.jpg

As you will notice, the Bill Lawrence pickup has been swapped out for a Dimarzio. The first thing I did was plug into my Hiwatt and play a bit of Limelight. Yuk! The pickup sounded awful in this guitar...well, awful is too strong a word. The pole pieces didn't even line up with the strings and it just sounded dull and lifeless. So I immediately contacted Alex and asked if I could swap it out with a Bill Lawrence. A resounding "Yes!" was the answer.

Regarding whether Alex will play this guitar on stage...we'll just have to wait and see!

More later....

Well what kind of Dimarzio pickups did you use? Distortion?

Hi all,

The Hentor replicas are now being completed and shipped out to their new owners. Thanks for watching this thread!

Cheers,

Freddy

A sneak peak!

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/P1040123_zpsd340497d.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/P1040124_zps21690468.jpg

The bridge pickup is a Bill Lawrence, the singles are dimarzios.

Edited by LerxstLuthier
  • Like 1

Hi all,

The Hentor replicas are now being completed and shipped out to their new owners. Thanks for watching this thread!

Cheers,

Freddy

A sneak peak!

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/P1040123_zpsd340497d.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/P1040124_zps21690468.jpg

The bridge pickup is a Bill Lawrence, the singles are dimarzios.

Got an email from Freddy today that my Hentor will be shipping next Tuesday, now comes the hardest part of the wait!