Alex's Hentor Sportscaster

LerxstLuthier

Yeah Freddy got me all excited and now I gotta wait (and keep $2500 shielded from GAS). That vintage HRF that sold for $1050 the other day was calling me, even though I dont need one.

I am trying to use Sept 9 (Bristow) as a distraction!

Yup, I was watching that HRF too. Ha.

Someone got a pretty good deal. Except for the mini toggle holes (which didn't really look "professionally filled" to me) and the iffy wording around the fret life remaining...it seemed in good shape. I paid more for mine, but it was all original and no such issues or question marks.

I haven't been on eBay as much, my GAS is way down. Kinda happy with my rig. It's a nice place to be.

2.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 15 2012, 10:58 AM)
Yup, I was watching that HRF too. Ha.

Someone got a pretty good deal. Except for the mini toggle holes (which didn't really look "professionally filled" to me) and the iffy wording around the fret life remaining...it seemed in good shape. I paid more for mine, but it was all original and no such issues or question marks.

I haven't been on eBay as much, my GAS is way down. Kinda happy with my rig. It's a nice place to be.

2.gif

I also saw one that had some cream pickup rings and pickguard. They were added on, but it also came with the original rings and pickguard. That one looked great, not too long ago.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jun 28 2012, 01:31 PM)
I know it's not a restore back to 1981 job, but I just love the tone this guitar had on the ESL video.

The clean sound was so good yet it had the perfect amount of crunch/balls too. Very well balanced.

I can't tell in the video if that was the gibby pickup or the BL. I kinda think it was the gibby. Was it the Super Distortion one from the HRF series or one like the ES355 I wonder? Anyone know for sure?

2.gif

Do you think what you might've been hearing is one amp set to clean, and another amp set to dirty? Alex is known to do that in the past.

Oh boy!

My apologies to everyone who has been following this. It must have appeared that I've been missing in action because I have stopped posting. The reality is that for some reason this forum has not been notifying me of new posts like any other forum does so I thought there were no new posts until I decided to check the thread today.

Here's the latest.

After speaking to Alex I'm going to upgrade some parts on the Hentor. We discussed a ghost loaded floyd but in the end it was decided that he didn't really need it. But I am going to install a titanium sustain block on the trem. We also discussed the single coil pickups, these are going to be replaced with Dimarzio FS-1, with the middle pup reverse polarity for true humbucking when in the middle and neck position.

The single coil swap decision was made because although the stock pups sound just OK, the body and neck materials being so tight and dense make them sound particularly thin and small.

The electronics (pots, switch ) will be replaced just due to age and wear and tear.

One other notable modification that seems minor but will have a real impact on the tonality of the guitar will be the pickguard. At some point the original pickguard that had the humbucker/single coil/single coil was replaced with a pre-fabbed one. But, what happened was that the prefabbed one's humbucker cut out was closer to the bridge that the way Alex had it originally. This is why extra body wood was routed out of the HB cavity area, and why the bridge posts eventually broke out.

Also, this is why the guitar is thinner and more shrill sounding in the humbucker position than it used to be. It's just too close to the bridge (not by a whole lot either...but a little goes a long way).

So for those that are interested, I will be offering replicas of the 80s era with no fine tuners (depending on avaialability of the bridges) or the current set-up with the locking floyd. The upgrades that I will install now (titanium, Dimarzio FS-1) will be an option.

Over the past few weeks I have been selecting wood from my private stockpile (most of which has been stickered and seasoning for 15+ years). Aside from the obvious (pickups etc.) the wood selection is critical in what makes this guitar sound the way it does.

Mods, or anyone else in the know....is there a setting I have missed so that I can be sure I'm notified whenever there is a repsonse on this thread?

Thanks,

Freddy

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 2 2012, 03:04 PM)
Oh boy!

My apologies to everyone who has been following this. It must have appeared that I've been missing in action because I have stopped posting. The reality is that for some reason this forum has not been notifying me of new posts like any other forum does so I thought there were no new posts until I decided to check the thread today.

Here's the latest.
After speaking to Alex I'm going to upgrade some parts on the Hentor. We discussed a ghost loaded floyd but in the end it was decided that he didn't really need it. But I am going to install a titanium sustain block on the trem. We also discussed the single coil pickups, these are going to be replaced with Dimarzio FS-1, with the middle pup reverse polarity for true humbucking when in the middle and neck position.
The single coil swap decision was made because although the stock pups sound just OK, the body and neck materials being so tight and dense make them sound particularly thin and small.
The electronics (pots, switch ) will be replaced just due to age and wear and tear.
One other notable modification that seems minor but will have a real impact on the tonality of the guitar will be the pickguard. At some point the original pickguard that had the humbucker/single coil/single coil was replaced with a pre-fabbed one. But, what happened was that the prefabbed one's humbucker cut out was closer to the bridge that the way Alex had it originally. This is why extra body wood was routed out of the HB cavity area, and why the bridge posts eventually broke out.
Also, this is why the guitar is thinner and more shrill sounding in the humbucker position than it used to be. It's just too close to the bridge (not by a whole lot either...but a little goes a long way).

So for those that are interested, I will be offering replicas of the 80s era with no fine tuners (depending on avaialability of the bridges) or the current set-up with the locking floyd. The upgrades that I will install now (titanium, Dimarzio FS-1) will be an option.

Over the past few weeks I have been selecting wood from my private stockpile (most of which has been stickered and seasoning for 15+ years). Aside from the obvious (pickups etc.) the wood selection is critical in what makes this guitar sound the way it does.

Mods, or anyone else in the know....is there a setting I have missed so that I can be sure I'm notified whenever there is a repsonse on this thread?
Thanks,
Freddy

At the top of the page it says Track Topic. If you click that, you will be subscribed to the topic in question. Also, click your 'my controls' panel, then 'Subscriptions'. smile.gif

Maybe a build tread/pics?? The Tele board I visit has them all the time.???

If you can that would be cool. I am sure we would enjoy seeing your skills. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Aug 4 2012, 06:55 AM)
Maybe a build tread/pics?? The Tele board I visit has them all the time.???
If you can that would be cool. I am sure we would enjoy seeing your skills. biggrin.gif

Yes, I will document the process.

Hey Freddy, I have reached out to you with an email to freddy@freddysfrets.com, but I haven't heard back from you. I am ready to talk seriously about an order for a hentor, look forward to getting an order placed.

Thanks

Tom S

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 2 2012, 09:04 AM)
Oh boy!

Here's the latest.

Thanks,
Freddy

Hey Freddy, maybe I missed it, but what bridge pickup are you going to use in Alex's Hentor? I have not played with a titanium block for the floyd, there is a brass one in the AL Axcess, can you (or any other TRF'rs) comment on your experience with the titanium especially with tone and sustain?

I have not heard of wiring the middle and neck pups this way, that sounds pretty cool. Can you still get the strat quack with this configuration if you want to break into some Gilmour territory?

Anyone having any comments on the fine tuners or not, I would be interested. I have only played with newer floyds with the fine tuners, so I dont have a baseline for comparison. I think the fine tuners help a lot, but everything is usually a compromise, is there a downside?

Thanks again for including the forum in this, this is a totally cool project! When is Alex going to get the original back (in the next couple of weeks maybe???)?

QUOTE (tskidmore @ Aug 10 2012, 07:43 AM)
QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 2 2012, 09:04 AM)
Oh boy!

Here's the latest.

Thanks,
Freddy

Hey Freddy, maybe I missed it, but what bridge pickup are you going to use in Alex's Hentor? I have not played with a titanium block for the floyd, there is a brass one in the AL Axcess, can you (or any other TRF'rs) comment on your experience with the titanium especially with tone and sustain?

I have not heard of wiring the middle and neck pups this way, that sounds pretty cool. Can you still get the strat quack with this configuration if you want to break into some Gilmour territory?

Anyone having any comments on the fine tuners or not, I would be interested. I have only played with newer floyds with the fine tuners, so I dont have a baseline for comparison. I think the fine tuners help a lot, but everything is usually a compromise, is there a downside?

Thanks again for including the forum in this, this is a totally cool project! When is Alex going to get the original back (in the next couple of weeks maybe???)?

The titanium block sounds more lively than the brass block. The same way the brass block gives more sustain and tonal range than the stock, the titanium give even more sustain and harmonic content.

The pickup wiring in regards to reverse wound/reverse polarity does not change the tone at all. It just creates the humbucking effect and cancels the single coil hum when both pickup are selected. So yes, the strat quack is all still there, just no noise.

Regarding the non fine tuner Floyd. There is a small difference in sustain...because there are fewer moving parts (pivoting saddles) the string's drive is more solidly transferred to the bridge. It's not like a night and day thing, but there is a bit of a difference. Some might say that the much better tuning stability of the fine tuner, locking nut Floyd negates the small sonic difference (obviously Alex did, and this guitar still sounds fantastic as it sits now). However I would urge anyone to go with locking machine heads if they go with the non fine tuner floyd.

The guitar will be back in Alex's hands at the end of the month.

Edited by LerxstLuthier

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 10 2012, 06:08 AM)
Some might say that the much better tuning stability of the fine tuner, locking nut Floyd negates the small sonic difference (obviously Alex did, and this guitar still sounds fantastic as it sits now). However I would urge anyone to go with locking machine heads if they go with the non fine tuner floyd.

Count me as one of the "some" Fine tuners and the locking nut provide a tuning stability without a lot of hassle.

Reading my post now I see I should add a comment regarding the sustain block. In my experience the titanium will make the guitar very zingy and lively. The brass block, just more sustain without making it much brighter. Since the Hentor is already a bright guitar I'm going to try both the titanium and the brass blocks to see which suits the guitar more.

This might be an intro post, but it was this thread that's brought me here, so why not.

In terms of relevant questions, I'm wondering about the wiring of the Sportscaster. If this is part of what's to come, I can be patient - don't want to spoil the reveal! Otherwise, I've always wondered how the HSS pickups worked with what looks to be a "Gibson" pickup selector, commonly used for neck/both/bridge in 2 pup guitars.

I'm also including pictures and info of my own Sportscaster (as part of the intro). Its history is almost as long as the original's. It all started in 87 or 88 when I bought the Floyd, a body, and a neck, along with some other parts, from the now defunct Music Emporium. A local 'tech' (I use that term loosely) routed for the Floyd and got it wrong (it was off center, causing the high E to veer off the fretboard). He "fixed" it by enlarging the neck pocket. Lesson learned: don't let anyone work on anything as part of their learning process. I had a fair amount of money invested, but I didn't have a very playable guitar. I ditched plans of painting it (having never been a fan of white guitars, I wanted the black and yellow of Sid McGinnis (World's Most Dangerous Band) guitar of that era), and cheaped out on pickups (EMG Select). It ended up being a wall-hanger conversation piece, as my college-era budget wasn't up to the task of 'making it right.'

Fast forward to a few years ago, when I salvaged the hardware for a re-build on a properly routed (and painted) Warmoth body and neck. The current spec includes Grover tuners, the original mid-80s Floyd, SD SSL-1s in neck and middle (RW/RP), and an Epiphone 57 Classic + in the bridge. The Floyd has a brass "big-block" from Floyd Upgrades. The lettering on the headstock was changed from "Hentor" to "Fender" a long time ago, in part because the Hentor story took too long to tell, whereas "Fender Sportscaster" just gets chuckles as a kooky name for a Partscaster. Maybe I'll go back to Hentor someday. I used to have a Bill Lawrence L500L in the bridge, but it never "did it" for me. I recently upgraded the pickups in my Epi LP, and wondered if I could swap in the 57 +. While Googling on the topic, I hit on this thread (after reading somewhere that one iteration of the original Hentor included a Gibson 'bucker), and here we are. I do like the 57 there - it sounds great through my AC15 with everything dimed - very "Moving Pictures".

I'm hanging on Freddy's every post, as I find this topic fascinating, and have much respect for Freddy's work (I watched one of the AL-355 "restoration" threads elsewhere), insight, and well, access. My "Hentor" may very well see some changes based on this thread!

Anyway, my "Hentor" has been through a few iterations, and many wiring changes, including coil taps and splits and even Signature-esque individual toggles at some point. Here's what it looks like today:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8286/7753647750_8aaf86fdc0_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7246/7753648040_c165ccd586_c.jpg

Cool looking sportscaster David!

When you tried the Bill Lawrence pickup was it from the real Bill Lawrence or from Bill Lawrence USA pickups? Big, big difference! The Lawrence USA pups sound nothing like the one in the Hentor.