• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 jdouglas

jdouglas

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

Freddy does amazing work, I can't wait to see the work in progress.  

Definitely hope there is a serial number on the inside somewhere, so we can solve the year...pots values, wiring, wow we have had alot of questions about this guitar here. Ha.

2.gif  2.gif

trink39.gif

Edited by jdouglas, 25 June 2012 - 11:16 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 An Enemy Without

An Enemy Without

Geddyfan13's Biggest Fan

• Members *
  • 6872 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

How do you learn how to do this stuff? Trial and error with cheap guitars? tongue.gif

#43 jdouglas

jdouglas

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

I know it's not a restore back to 1981 job, but I just love the tone this guitar had on the ESL video.

The clean sound was so good yet it had the perfect amount of crunch/balls too. Very well balanced.

I can't tell in the video if that was the gibby pickup or the BL.  I kinda think it was the gibby.  Was it the Super Distortion one from the HRF series or one like the ES355 I wonder?  Anyone know for sure?

2.gif  

#44 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jun 28 2012, 12:31 PM)
I know it's not a restore back to 1981 job, but I just love the tone this guitar had on the ESL video.

The clean sound was so good yet it had the perfect amount of crunch/balls too. Very well balanced.

I can't tell in the video if that was the gibby pickup or the BL.  I kinda think it was the gibby.  Was it the Super Distortion one from the HRF series or one like the ES355 I wonder?  Anyone know for sure?

2.gif

The ESL video is the gibby for sure IMO.  The BL has a very distinct sound.  You would be able to tell the difference.

#45 jdouglas

jdouglas

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Yup, I think there is a spot or two in the video if ya freeze it you can see the chrome cover on the bridge PU, but not many, so I was totally sure.  Just curious which gibby PU, but I don't think they had a ton of different version back then...and Bill Lawerence actually made a Gibson pickup around early 80s called the original...with the Left Right diagram on the back.  Hmm.

2.gif  

#46 LerxstLuthier

LerxstLuthier

The Seeker

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Guitars and recording

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Chrome covered PAF in the ESL video

#47 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

I hope the replicas you plan to offer have an option to have the PAF or an L-500.  I will sell my body and buy one of each! smile.gif  

#48 hunter

hunter

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1587 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Saw this on Ebay today in case anyone needs one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-Kramer-Floyd...=item3a76a4d71c

#49 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Well?

#50 jdouglas

jdouglas

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

confused13.gif  comp26.gif  confused13.gif  no.gif  confused13.gif

ph34r.gif

pokey.gif

2.gif

#51 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

I know, we are all waiting! trink39.gif

We young Hentor Jedi must be patient.  These things take time. sad.gif  

#52 tskidmore

tskidmore

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Yeah Freddy got me all excited and now I gotta wait (and keep $2500 shielded from GAS).  That vintage HRF that sold for $1050 the other day was calling me, even though I dont need one.

I am trying to use Sept 9 (Bristow) as a distraction!  

#53 jdouglas

jdouglas

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Yup, I was watching that HRF too.  Ha.

Someone got a pretty good deal.  Except for the mini toggle holes (which didn't really look "professionally filled" to me) and the iffy wording around the fret life remaining...it seemed in good shape.  I paid more for mine, but it was all original and no such issues or question marks.

I haven't been on eBay as much, my GAS is way down.  Kinda happy with my rig.  It's a nice place to be.

2.gif  

#54 default236

default236

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2415 posts
  • Interests:49ers
    Comedy
    Jazz

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 15 2012, 10:58 AM)
Yup, I was watching that HRF too.  Ha.

Someone got a pretty good deal.  Except for the mini toggle holes (which didn't really look "professionally filled" to me) and the iffy wording around the fret life remaining...it seemed in good shape.  I paid more for mine, but it was all original and no such issues or question marks.

I haven't been on eBay as much, my GAS is way down.  Kinda happy with my rig.  It's a nice place to be.

2.gif

I also saw one that had some cream pickup rings and pickguard. They were added on, but it also came with the original rings and pickguard. That one looked great, not too long ago.

#55 jdouglas

jdouglas

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

user posted image

#56 SignatureAurora75

SignatureAurora75

The Seeker

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jun 28 2012, 01:31 PM)

2.gif

Do you think what you might've been hearing is one amp set to clean, and another amp set to dirty?  Alex is known to do that in the past.  

#57 tskidmore

tskidmore

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Yeah com'n Freddy, I'm dying here!

#58 Show Don't Tell

Show Don't Tell

The Seeder

• Members *
  • 9208 posts
  • Interests:Music, Hockey, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

Just saw this thread. The Hentor is my dream guitar! drool1.gif That and the Signature Aurora. wub.gif This is so cool! I too would love to see the progress on this so far!

#59 LerxstLuthier

LerxstLuthier

The Seeker

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Guitars and recording

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Oh boy!

My apologies to everyone who has been following this. It must have appeared that I've been missing in action because I have stopped posting. The reality is that for some reason this forum has not been notifying me of new posts like any other forum does so I thought there were no new posts until I decided to check the thread today.

Here's the latest.
After speaking to Alex I'm going to upgrade some parts on the Hentor. We discussed a ghost loaded floyd but in the end it was decided that he didn't really need it. But I am going to install a titanium sustain block on the trem. We also discussed the single coil pickups, these are going to be replaced with Dimarzio FS-1, with the middle pup reverse polarity for true humbucking when in the middle and neck position.
The single coil swap decision was made because although the stock pups sound just OK, the body and neck materials being so tight and dense make them sound particularly thin and small.
The electronics (pots, switch ) will be replaced just due to age and wear and tear.
One other notable modification that seems minor but will have a real impact on the tonality of the guitar will be the pickguard. At some point the original pickguard that had the humbucker/single coil/single coil was replaced with a pre-fabbed one. But, what happened was that the prefabbed one's humbucker cut out was closer to the bridge that the way Alex had it originally. This is why extra body wood was routed out of the HB cavity area, and why the bridge posts eventually broke out.
Also, this is why the guitar is thinner and more shrill sounding in the humbucker position than it used to be. It's just too close to the bridge (not by a whole lot either...but a little goes a long way).

So for those that are interested, I will be offering replicas of the 80s era with no fine tuners (depending on avaialability of the bridges) or the current set-up with the locking floyd. The upgrades that I will install now (titanium, Dimarzio FS-1) will be an option.

Over the past few weeks I have been selecting wood from my private stockpile (most of which has been stickered and seasoning for 15+ years). Aside from the obvious (pickups etc.) the wood selection is critical in what makes this guitar sound the way it does.

Mods, or anyone else in the know....is there a setting I have missed so that I can be sure I'm notified whenever there is a repsonse on this thread?
Thanks,
Freddy

#60 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 79246 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Aug 2 2012, 03:04 PM)
Oh boy!

My apologies to everyone who has been following this. It must have appeared that I've been missing in action because I have stopped posting. The reality is that for some reason this forum has not been notifying me of new posts like any other forum does so I thought there were no new posts until I decided to check the thread today.

Here's the latest.
After speaking to Alex I'm going to upgrade some parts on the Hentor. We discussed a ghost loaded floyd but in the end it was decided that he didn't really need it. But I am going to install a titanium sustain block on the trem. We also discussed the single coil pickups, these are going to be replaced with Dimarzio FS-1, with the middle pup reverse polarity for true humbucking when in the middle and neck position.
The single coil swap decision was made because although the stock pups sound just OK, the body and neck materials being so tight and dense make them sound particularly thin and small.
The electronics (pots, switch ) will be replaced just due to age and wear and tear.
One other notable modification that seems minor but will have a real impact on the tonality of the guitar will be the pickguard. At some point the original pickguard that had the humbucker/single coil/single coil was replaced with a pre-fabbed one. But, what happened was that the prefabbed one's humbucker cut out was closer to the bridge that the way Alex had it originally. This is why extra body wood was routed out of the HB cavity area, and why the bridge posts eventually broke out.
Also, this is why the guitar is thinner and more shrill sounding in the humbucker position than it used to be. It's just too close to the bridge (not by a whole lot either...but a little goes a long way).

So for those that are interested, I will be offering replicas of the 80s era with no fine tuners (depending on avaialability of the bridges) or the current set-up with the locking floyd. The upgrades that I will install now (titanium, Dimarzio FS-1) will be an option.

Over the past few weeks I have been selecting wood from my private stockpile (most of which has been stickered and seasoning for 15+ years). Aside from the obvious (pickups etc.) the wood selection is critical in what makes this guitar sound the way it does.

Mods, or anyone else in the know....is there a setting I have missed so that I can be sure I'm notified whenever there is a repsonse on this thread?
Thanks,
Freddy

At the top of the page it says Track Topic. If you click that, you will be subscribed to the topic in question. Also, click your 'my controls' panel, then 'Subscriptions'.  smile.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users