AL85 Reviews EVERY "Mortal Kombat" Game!!

ALifeson85

As some of you on here probably know, I'm a major Mortal Kombat geek. yes.gif So I, ALifeson85, decided to take the liberty of borrowing an idea from TRF's very own The Owl, and do what HE has been doing - in terms of reviewing Rush albums - but instead, I will be reviewing each and every MK game!

For each review, I'll go over the basic history of the game, special features in the game, and just talk about different aspects of each game - from game play, to the overall significance each game has on the series.

I do, however, have TWO things I would like to note : 1.) The only MK game I will NOT be reviewing is Mortal Kombat : Special Forces. It's the WORST MK game in the franchise, and I just choose not to even waste my time on it. 2.) My reviews for MK1, MK2, MK3, Ultimate MK3, and MK4 will all be based on the arcade versions of those particular games - NOT the home console versions. Every other MK game after MK4 were all released directly to home consoles.

So, without further adue - LET'S START WITH THE GAME THAT STARTED IT ALL!!! 1287.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORTAL KOMBAT

Release Date: October 8, 1992

Roster: Johnny Cage, Kano, Sub-Zero, Sonya, Rayden, Liu Kang, Scorpion.

Bosses: Goro (sub boss), Shang Tsung

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060610175439/mk/images/4/44/MK_title.png

"MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAT!!!!"

A revolution in the world of fighting games is born! Originally intended to be an action game, featuring action star Jean-Claude Van Damme (who had to back out due to other film commitments), Mortal Kombat was co-created by two fresh-out-of-college computer programmers : Ed Boon and John Tobias. The game was created in 8 months, and was just meant to be a starter project to launch the careers of Boon and Tobias, without ANY intention of the game becoming the smash hit that it would become.

Mortal Kombat featured 7 playable fighters - Johnny Cage, Kano, Sub-Zero, Sonya, Rayden, Liu Kang, and Scorpion.

"Choose Your Fighter!!"

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060610175419/mk/images/0/09/MK_character_select.png

Also in the game (in one-player mode only), were two bosses - Goro and Shang Tsung. The game also featured a mini-game that you would play every 4 - 5 matches, called "Test Your Might", in which you would have to break certain objects, such as wood, stone, steel, ect. A power meter would be shown on the left side of the screen. You would then have to rapidly press all your attack buttons until the meter fills past a determined line - in which you would then quickly press the "Block" button to strike the object. This MK game would be the first and last in the series to feature this mini game...that is until the release of Mortal Kombat (2011).

VIDEO : "Test Your Might!

One of the biggest stand-outs of the first MK game was the use of digitized real-life actors - as opposed to hand-drawn animations (a la Street Fighter). This was achieved by filming the actors infront of a grey screen. They actors would perform each action and move that would be planned out for the game, and the sprites of each actor would be digitally transferred into a computer system. This same technique would continue to be used for the following five sequels, until the release of Mortal Kombat 4 in 1998.

Actor / Martial Artist, Daniel Pesina, as Johnny Cage - filming a jump kick for the game.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/549382_3843693527886_1660965463_n.jpg

But undoubtedly, the BIGGEST stand-out of Mortal Kombat - and perhaps the most controversial, was the introduction of...

FATALITIES!!

Ah YES! Every parents WORST nightmare in the early 90's! Mortal Kombat was the first ever fighting game to include this amazing feature. Unlike other fighters before it, where once you beat your opponent - that was it - they fall down, go boom. schla03.gif In THIS game, once you defeated an opponent, you were given the privilege to KILL your opponent, in a violent, and often gruesome way. From burning your opponent into nothing more than a charred skeleton, to ripping of a poor sap's HEAD - WITH the spinal cord attached!

And by the way - remember that game your parent's wouldn't allow you to rent from Blockbuster, because the "MA-17 : Mature Audiences" label on the front of the box? Thank Sub-Zero's "Spine Rip" fatality for THAT one, folks! yes.gif Yes - it's true...that VERY fatality is what spawned the birth of the E.S.R.B. (Entertainment Software Rating Board), making it a LAW for all video games to get a content rating. Cool bragging rights, eh? wink.gif

Here are a few Fatality highlights from Mortal Kombat. . . .

- pretty brutal for it's time!

Another cool Fatality in the game was The Pit stage. This stage consisted of a bridge that you would fight on, and the winner would get the chance to uppercut the defeated opponent off the bridge, plummeting them to the very bottom - where their demise would consist of falling onto a deadly array of sharp spikes below. Observe!

Mortal Kombat revolutionized the world of fighting games in the early 90's - and would continue to do so for years to come. Granted, the creators had very limited resources during the making of the first game - but for what they DID have, they created a classic. yes.gif I EASILY rate the original MK...

9 OUT OF 10! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Stay tuned for my next review of ...Mortal Kombat II!! cool.gif

Edited by ALifeson85

I used to absolutely LOVE this game.

An early memory of it was watching the Mortal Kombat special episode of Games Master, where they had some of the actors on, and Johnny Cage and Sonya battled it out at the end.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 12 2012, 09:24 AM)
I used to absolutely LOVE this game.

An early memory of it was watching the Mortal Kombat special episode of Games Master, where they had some of the actors on, and Johnny Cage and Sonya battled it out at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhTlnAuoSo

Haha yeah I remember that. I remember going to a birthday party at a place called Skate Land when I was about 8 or 9, and they had an MK arcade machine there, and my friends and I spent more time playing THAT, than in the skate rink, LOL tongue.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 13 2012, 11:23 AM)
Nice thread! I love this series and it's great to revisit the history of the franchise. Very nicely summarized, totally awesome!

1022.gif

Thanks, dude! trink39.gif My MKII review should be posted either tonight or tomorrow night - whenever I get the time. It's coming soon though! yes.gif

OK EVERYONE! Sorry for the delay...been a VERY insane week for me. But here it is - my review for Mortal Kombat II!!! cool.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORTAL KOMBAT II

Release Date : April 3, 1993

Roster : Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage, Reptile, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung, Kitana, Jax, Mileena, Baraka, Scorpion, Rayden.

Bosses : Kintaro (sub boss), Shao Kahn

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060606003502/mk/images/6/6e/Mk2-1.png

After the release of the first Mortal Kombat, co-creator Ed Boon, and the rest of the MK team at Midway, had originally planned to make a Star Wars game - without any intention of creating a sequel to Mortal Kombat - which at this point, had become a MEGA smash hit in the arcades. Before production even began on the planned Star Wars game (which to anyone's knowledge, was NEVER made), Midway (and rabid fans of the first MK) demanded a sequel. And that's just what Boon & Co. did.

Some familiar faces, along with some NEW!

http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk2/screenshots/03.png

Returning from the first game, Mortal Kombat II brought back Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Reptile (who was NOT a playable fighter in the first game, but a secret character hidden in the game that you could fight), Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung (who was only a boss in the first game, but now playable), Scorpion, and Rayden. The game also introduced a line-up of brand NEW playable fighters, which included Kung Lao, Kitana, Jax, Mileena, and Baraka. According to several sources, Kano and Sonya were left out of MKII for two reasons : 1.) They were the least played characters in the first game, and 2.) The MK team wanted to add new characters, but due to memory limitations at the time, characters had to be sacrificed to make room for new characters and features. Although Kano and Sonya are not playable in MKII, they STILL make a cameo appearance, in one of games fighting stages ("Kahn's Arena"), as prisoners.

Kano and Sonya held captive by Shao Kahn, in "Kahn's Arena"

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/7660/466603-mortalkombatii_kahn_sarena_1_.png

Many features from the first MK game were done away with in MKII. The "Test Your Might" mini game was removed, "Endurance" matches in one-player mode were gone, and the Point System from the first game was replaced with just a tally of how many matches you have won consecutively. (Instead of added-up points, you now receive "dragon" pendants for each round you win). But this DID NOT prove MKII to be a step behind the first game. In fact - it was two steps FORWARD. yes.gif

"The Kombat Kontinues...!!"

Everything that made the first game great, was amped-up 10x for Mortal Kombat II. The sound, the music, the graphics, the violence...the FATALITIES. In MKII, each character now had 2 Fatalities, as opposed to just one. There were now 3 "Pit / Stage Fatalities" this time around, as well! The Stage Fatalities in MKII included:

The Dead Pool

The Kombat Tomb

The Pit II

The character Fatalities in MKII were now MUCH more gruesome than the first game, as well. (If THAT'S possible!)...and it WAS possible! Check out a few of my personal favorites! cool.gif

Liu Kang's "Dragon Bite" Fatality

Kung Lao's "Hat Slice" Fatality

Baraka's "Blade Lift" Fatality

Along with the additional Fatalities, two BRAND NEW Finishing Moves made their debut in Mortal Kombat II...Friendships, and Babalities! tongue.gif These particular finishing moves were added to the game, to sort of "poke fun" at the high-strung parents who were horrified of the violent content of the first game...sort of a way to say to them, "HERE YA GO...you up-tight morons. Happy NOW??" Lol.

Each character's "Friendship" move involved the victor of the fight doing something friendly/goofy for the defeated opponent - rather than killing them. A few examples...

"Friendship. FRIENDSHIP??"

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np5/gm/mk2-s14.png

Liu Kang - "Disco!"

Johnny Cage - "My Best Fan!!"

Sub-Zero - "Buy A Sub-Zero Doll!"

Just as goofy, if not goofier, were the "Babalities" - in which the victor of the fight would turn his/her defeated opponent into....

...a BABY? unsure.gif

tongue.gif That's right!! And here's a video showing a "Babality" on Reptile. Once you see ONE, you've seen them all, lol...

"Babality...?"

http://images.wikia.com/mk/images/0/0f/Mk2_babality.png

Of ALL the Mortal Kombat games in the series history, Mortal Kombat II is undoubtedly my ALL TIME FAVORITE MK game! yes.gif (with Ultimate MK3 and Mortal Kombat 9 being the runner-ups). It TRULY defined what Mortal Kombat is today. To this day, I STILL play this classic gem on my arcade (MAME) emulator, and even now, it STILL feels as fresh as it did 17 years ago. I cannot even BEGIN to tell you how many times my buddies and I would play this at our local bowling alley back in the mid-90's. HOURS. yes.gif

Mortal Kombat II gets a SOLID 10 OUT OF 10 rating in my book. Hands down. yes.gif trink39.gif

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Mortal-Kombat-II-and-Other-Midway-Titles-on-PS3-2.jpg

Stay tuned for my review of Mortal Kombat 3! cool.gif

Edited by ALifeson85

I LOVE MK. I first played MK 3 when I was 5 years old at my cousin's. I was Sindel and kept running back and forth, throwing him with her hair xD I've been a huge fan ever since~

Nice reviews so far!

MK II is the one I played the most. I loved the Friendships and Babalities laugh.gif

I also used to have it for the Game Boy, where they cut out even more characters...but it still had Scorpion, Sub Zero and Reptile, even though on the green and black screen, they all looked identical (except for their pose).

Great game...and I agree, the BEST trink39.gif

MORTAL KOMBAT 3

Release Date : August 3, 1995

Roster : Shang Tsung, Sindel, Jax, Kano, Liu Kang, Sonya, Stryker, Smoke, Sub-Zero, Cyrax, Sektor, Nightwolf, Sheeva, Kung Lao, Kabal.

Bosses : Motaro (sub boss), Shao Kahn

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060619152450/mk/images/0/0b/Mk3.png

By the mid-90's, Mortal Kombat had become a powerhouse in the world of fighting games. It had become one of the most profitable franchises in video game history - possibly as huge as the Mario Bros. franchise. By early '95, the inevitable Mortal Kombat movie was in production, set for an August release that same year. Around this same time, production on Mortal Kombat 3 had started, as well.

"Mortal Kombat" movie poster. I remember FLIPPING when I first saw this in the lobby of my local cinema a couple months before it's release. yes.gif

http://www.artprints.com/images/MOV/large/mov204360.jpg

As a clever marketing ploy, Midway had promised to make sure that the releases of MK3, and the Mortal Kombat movie, would happen around the same time, to even further hype the releases of both. Unfourtunately, due to this extreme pressure on the MK Team, the original release of Mortal Kombat 3 suffered MANY sacrifices.

Interesting roster...but wait...where's Scorpion??

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060619152521/mk/images/2/29/Mk3-select.png

Mortal Kombat 3 was a HUGE leap from MKII, in just about every aspect. Only 8 out of all the MK characters from the first two games, made it to MK3...Shang Tsung, Jax, Kano, Liu Kang, Sonya, Smoke (who was only a hidden fightable character in MKII, but now a cyborg), Sub-Zero, and Kung Lao. Brand new characters who made their debut in MK3 included Sindel, Stryker, Cyrax, Sektor, Nightwolf, Sheeva, and Kabal. What caught many MK fans off gaurd about the MK3 roster, was the exclusion of Johnny Cage, and Scorpion. Although they were nowhere to be found in the game, there was reasoning behind the absence of these 2 fan favorites.

Johnny Cage was excluded from MK3, due to actor Daniel Pesina, who played Cage in the first two MK games, was fired from Midway for posing in a magazine ad for a competeing fighting game called Blood Storm - WHILE wearing his Johnny Cage outfit, in late '94. Scorpion was excluded due the the fact that he, as well as several OTHER characters who were supposed to be in the game, were never fully programmed for the game, due to the extreme deadline of the game's release.

The ad that cost Daniel Pesina his future with Midway

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100706032848/mk/images/thumb/d/d2/Bloodstormpesina.jpg/430px-Bloodstormpesina.jpg

Many new features were added to Mortal Kombat 3. The two biggest being the "Run" feature, and the "Dial-A-Combo" system. With the addition of the new "Run" button, you could now sprint towards your opponent, to close-in on them quicker, for faster attacks. The Dial-A-Combo system enabled you to perform several different combos of mulitple hits on your opponent, by pressing a series of attack buttons. While many fans enjoyed these new features, many did NOT, complaining that it took away from the classic beat-'em-up feel of the first two games, where players had to come up with thier own unique combos - rather than having to remember long button sequences. Those who DID enjoy these features, gave praise to the game's faster, high-paced gameplay.

Video : Liu Kang performs a 9-Hit combo on Kabal...

Fatalities, Stage Fatalities, Babalities, and Friendships all returned in MK3. In some cases, the Fatalities began to get a little more "cartoony" in MK3, but still had plently of brutal/creative ones, that kept MK fans happy. Just a few examples of some of the stand-out Fatalities in the game...

Sub-Zero's "Ice Breaker" Fatality

Kung Lao's "Whirlwind" Fatality

Sindel's "Screamer" Fatality

Like in MKII, this game also featured 3 Stage Fatalites - The Subway, The Bell Tower, and The Pit 3...

The Subway

The Bell Tower

The Pit 3

John Parrish as Jax...with new & improved metallic arms

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3vOAYtDFaFA/S-XxIqqVbBI/AAAAAAAAAPY/uLkZRfpjgrI/s1600/Jax3.jpg

In addition to all the finishing moves, MK3 introduced a brand new finisher called an "Animality" - in which you could morph into an animal, and kill your opponent in THAT fashion. Most of the Animalities, in MY opinion, were pretty ridiculous - and not in a GOOD way, either. There were a few that were just OK, though. Here's a couple that I didn't think were too bad...

Sub-Zero / Polar Bear Animality

Liu Kang / Dragon Animality (Pretty much just his MKII Fatality)

For the most part, the Animalites were quite lame. In addition, what you had to do, just to perform them, was not even really worth the effort. You had to beat your opponent on the 3rd round, and execute what was called a "Mercy", which gave your opponent ONE LAST chance to win, by giving him/her one-hit's worth of life. You then had to hit them one LAST time, and then you could perform the Animality.

"Reptile shows MERCY..."

http://www.fdmk.net/gallery/encyclopedia/mercy.png

Mortal Kombat 3 had it's really cool aspects, but like I mentioned before, it suffered from being a bit of a rushed effort (not entirely the fault of the MK Team). The TRUE, and COMPLETE version of the game, Ultimate MK3, was a MAJOR improvement - considering that UMK3 was supposed to be how the MK Team originally wanted MK3 to turn out. - which is ironic considering that UMK3 is one my Top 3 favorite MK games! I will go into more in-depth detail of Ultimate MK3 in my NEXT review. yes.gif

I would have to give Mortal Kombat 3 a 6.5 OUT OF 10 - mainly due the fact that it's PROPER version, Ultimate MK3, completely over-rides and surpasses the original release of the game, and that MK3, in a nutshell, is only a half-complete version of the proper game.

http://www.gamefabrique.com/teasers/mortal-kombat-3.jpg

Coming up NEXT...I review ULTIMATE MK3 yes.gif trink39.gif

Ha! I never knew that about the Johnny Cage guy. Bloodstorm was such a terrible game to get fired over too. Whatta dumbass. Is that also the reason Scorps and the cool normal version of Sub-Zero weren't in the game? I think they were played by the same guy who did Cage.

It didn't matter to me though, I always hated Johnny Cage. I did miss Scorpion in MK3, and Sub-Zero is my all-time favorite and I hated the non-ninja version, but MK3 brought in sweet, sweet Kabal and those cheap combos. I would piss off my friends while playing as him.

UMK3 is my favorite of them all. Ermac! Also, Rain was awesome on the console versions.

Edited by Storm Shadow

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 25 2012, 08:12 AM)
Ha! I never knew that about the Johnny Cage guy. Bloodstorm was such a terrible game to get fired over too. Whatta dumbass. Is that also the reason Scorps and the cool normal version of Sub-Zero weren't in the game? I think they were played by the same guy who did Cage.

It didn't matter to me though, I always hated Johnny Cage. I did miss Scorpion in MK3, and Sub-Zero is my all-time favorite and I hated the non-ninja version, but MK3 brought in sweet, sweet Kabal and those cheap combos. I would piss off my friends while playing as him.

UMK3 is my favorite of them all. Ermac! Also, Rain was awesome on the console versions.

Yeah, you're right - Daniel Pesina DID also play all the ninjas in the first 2 MK games yes.gif Which does explain why Sub-Zero was played by another actor in MK3, who was John Turk. Turk also played all the male ninjas in Ultimate MK3, as well, due to the fireing of Daniel Pesina.

I know it's been a few weeks since the last review...but don't worry - my Ultimate MK3 review will be here within the next few days! Been having ALOT going on recently...

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Release Date : October 21, 1995

Roster : Kitana, Reptile, Sonya, Jax, Nightwolf, Jade, Scorpion, Kano, Mileena, Ermac, Sub-Zero, Classic Sub Zero, Sektor, Sindel, Stryker, Cyrax, Kung Lao, Kabal, Sheeva, Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Smoke

Bosses : Motaro (sub boss), Shao Kahn

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060619004403/mk/images/2/22/Umk3.png

Because the original release of MK3 was technically "unfinished", Boon & Co. were determined to STILL release the game, with the full roster that they originally intended. Just 10 weeks after the release of Mortal Kombat 3, MK fans were given a sudden suprise, as Ultimate MK3 made out-of-nowhere appearances in arcades across North America.

The FULL cast of MK3, as originally intended

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060619004432/mk/images/d/da/Umk3-select.png

Ultimate MK3 was barely given ANY kind of pre-release hype or advertising before it's release. It pretty much just snuck up on MK fans, and with VERY possitive reception. It included every character from the original release of MK3, plus the addition of 6 more classic characters, and 1 NEW character, Ermac - a RED ninja, who was created based on a glitch in the very first Mortal Kombat arcade game (via a code), in which Scorpion would appear red, instead of yellow. A VERY rare glitch. Rumors began to spread, saying that he was a hidden character, and was nicknamed "Ermac", due to the "Ermacs" (Error Macro) message that would appear in the game's debug screen, whenever the "Red Scorpion" glitch would happen in the game.

Just like the MK Team has done with MANY of the series' fan-made rumors, they decided to make Ermac an actual playable fighter.

Screenshot of the "Ermacs" glitch counter in the original MK arcade game

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/Error-Macro.jpg

In addition to the inclusion of 7 characters, some new backrounds were added, as well. A few of them included were the "Hell Stage" (Scorpion's Lair), "The Desert", and the "Blue Portal". The "Hell Stage" also included it's own Stage Fatality, as well - in which the victor could knock his/her defeated opponent into the firey river of lava.

Scorpion and Reptile batteling it out in "Scorpion's Lair"...

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2006/10/24/umk3_52.jpg

Video : "Scorpion's Lair" Stage Fatality...CRISPY!! wink.gif

Video : Ermac's "Tele-Slam" Fatality

Video : Reptile's "Acid Meltdown" Fatality

In another addition to the roster of characters in Ultimate MK3, you could also access the HUMAN version of Smoke, via a cheat code. All you would do is select the Cyborg Smoke on the fighter select screen, and then press/hold High Punch, High Kick, Block, Run, and BACK, until the match starts. If performed correctly, Cyborg Smoke should transform into Human Smoke at the very start of the match.

Human Smoke in Ultimate MK3

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/6emmYmyUvLI/0.jpg

Video : Demonstration of accessing Human Smoke...

Ultimate MK3 truly IS what the original MK3 should have been. The game includes an AMAZING cast of characters, faster gameplay, and alot more features than the original release. Just like Mortal Kombat II, I spent MANY MANY hours playing this in local arcades. yes.gif Since it's release, it's always been another one of my Top 3 MK games of all time...and to this day, it still is. Ultimate MK3 would be the LAST 2-D MK game to be released in arcades - and the second to last MK game released in arcades EVER.

This is EASILY another 10 out of 10-rated MK game from the series. yes.gif

Up NEXT...Mortal Kombat Trilogy cool.gif

http://emdkay.net/catalog/images/Ultimate%20Mortal%20Kombat%203%20Marquee%202.jpg

Edited by ALifeson85

Cool cool.gif That's the version of MK3 that I remember.

Never knew the stuff about Ermac and the Scorpion glitch. Nice

Ladies and Gents...after a LOOOOOOOONG wait (SORRY!)....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORTAL KOMBAT TRILOGY

Release Date: September 1, 1996

Roster: (PSX version): Johnny Cage, Noob Saibot, Baraka, Cyrax, Sonya, Rayden, Rain, Shang Tsung, Kitana, Kano, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Classic Smoke, Reptile, Jax, Mileena, Sektor, Liu Kang, Jade, Sheeva, Kung Lao, Cyborg Smoke, Nightwolf, Sindel, Ermac, Classic Sub-Zero, Stryker, Kabal, Goro, Shao Kahn, Motaro, Kintaro.

Bosses: Goro, Kintaro, Motaro, Shao Kahn.

http://www.consolepassion.co.uk/sites/default/files/nintendo-64-mortal-kombat-trilogy-title.png

*Note: I'm only going to review the Playstation version, since it's the one I have the most memory of*

In the late Summer of '96, the very FIRST direct-to-home console MK game was released...Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Only one last MK game would ever hit the arcade scene, a year and a half later, which of course was Mortal Kombat 4. "Trilogy" was released on 5 home ports : Playstation, Nintendo 64, PC, Sega Saturn, and Game.com.

The game is, essentially, the first 3 MK games, combined (and updated) into one LARGER game. It features EVERY character who had ever been in the first 3 games - ALL playable - including the bosses.

MK Trilogy roster for Playstation...

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060619002230/mk/images/0/02/Mkt_select.png

Every arena from the first 3 games are ALSO featured in MK Trilogy - including ALMOST every Stage Fatality. The "Pit II" Stage Fatality (where the defeated opponent is knocked down onto a solid cement bottom) was the only one excluded from MK Trilogy - due to the fact that Midway would have had to have re-hired and filmed EVERY actor's "overhead fall" animation - which at the time, proved to have been far too expensive. (Which is a shame, since that Stage Fatality is one of my Top 3 favorites!).

A new feature added to MK Trilogy was the "Aggressor" Mode. Similar to the "Super Meter" in the last MK game from 2011, what happens is, the more a character blocks their opponent's attacks, they quicker their opponent's "Aggressor" meter fills. And vice versa. Once a character's "Aggressor" is filled, they become a lot faster and more powerful, for about 10 seconds. This mode is optional in the game - and I personally preferred to have it OFF, as I found it to be distracting.

Jade's full "Aggressor" meter

http://emu-russia.net/gdb/n64/Mortal_Kombat_Trilogy_1.png

A new unlockable character was also introduced in MK Trilogy...Chameleon - who is more or less ALL the male ninjas, morphed into one. While playing as him, he will randomly change from one male MK ninja, to another, every 8 - 10 seconds. So if you ever decided to play as him, it was best to know all the male ninja's moves at least, lol. The Nintendo 64 version had a FEMALE Khameleon, (spelled with a "K") instead. Same concept - except the N64 version would morph between Kitana, Mileena, and Jade.

Playstation version of Chameleon

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060613163219/mk/images/c/cf/Mkt_chameleon.png

Mortal Kombat Trilogy is still a fun game to play! Aside from a couple minor "technical" aspects of the game, it's STILL a classic, and still gets some play from me from time to time. I used to own the N64 version as well, but somehow it disappeared over the years.

I would rate MK Trilogy a 7.5 / 10 :popcorn:

Koming up NEXT - and hopefully MUCH SOONER than THIS review, lol...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060619153418/mk/images/e/ec/Mortal_Kombat_-_Mythologies_Sub_Zero_-_Logo_2.jpg

:cool:

• Like 1