Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread
Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:21 PM
Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:28 PM
Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:33 PM
Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:58 PM
I think I wasn't wrong. I'm on my third listen now, and I do think this is a top five album for me... or close to it.
I like the album a lot but after 3 listens no way is it top 5 for me. This isnt on the same level as 2112, Hemispheres, PeW, MP and PoW. It's in the top 10 though.
For the folks that don,t know,Trenken won vocalist of the year (2012),for those of us who do know, he stunk!!!!!!
Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:42 PM
Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:28 AM
If that's their last album it's certainly moved up on the RUSH album list....it's fantastic.
Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:43 AM
I've always loved CA...overall the strongest Rush album in 25 years, at the time of its release.
Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:13 AM
1. Clockwork Angels (would have been a perfect opener, setting the story's scene)
2. BU2B (Tempo and structural change, Introducing the central character)
3. Anarchist (Pick things up again with a great bass-driven jam)
4. Seven Cities of Gold (Down-tempo, but musically interesting, especially in this position relative to the other songs)
5. Carnies (Back to an up-tempo track, one with some killer drumming)
6. BU2B2 (Why not. It's inoffensive, and serves to bring the story full circle)
7. Caravan - or - Headlong Flight (Two killer mini-epics that have every over-the-top RUSH jam that endears the band to its fans. Either makes a perfect closer, but both on the same album seem unnecessary. Save one as a one-off single.)
Bonus Hidden Track: The Garden (A nice post-script to the story, and a nice final statement by the band.)
This isn't to say that I don't like the tracks that I have included. It's just that they don't add much for me either musically or story-wise, and, shortened this way, the album is indeed masterful. To my ears, anyway.
Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:32 AM
It doesn't click with me but I can hear greatness pretty much all the way through it.
Down to taste. I don't think it's a classic, I don't think it's a good album in the sense it set any sort of benchmark. It doesn't add anything to Rush's catalogue of greatness and if it never came out, the modern rock scene would not be any different.
The best part of this album is the attention Rush got from it.
Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:14 AM
Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:16 PM
I actually was wondering if I had actually aged out of 'getting it'. The Vapor Trails remix was essential and I like the album much more now, but still, both of those releases are just 'standard'. As a Rush fan that's fine, but I wanted stellar.
Clockwork Angels was the album I'd been craving since I was a kid. For me it is every bit as strong as the best they've ever done.
If this really is it, then what a magnificent way to go out.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users