The Professor

• Members *
  • 3925 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:21 PM

It's still every bit as great to me now as it was four years ago.  Clockwork Angels was, is, and always will be, an utter masterpiece in my eyes.

Sponsored Post

#922 WildKineticDreams

WildKineticDreams

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

Interesting thread. Clockwork Angels is in my bottom 3 personally. It's very subjective, a lot of people like it but I don't really care for it. The songwriting and production/mixing just don't do it for me.

#923 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

I loved it from first listen, and still love it now.  Between Clockwork Angels and the Vapour Trails remix, the Rush of the 21st Century is up there for me with that of the 70s.

#924 canadianice

canadianice

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2964 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:58 PM

View Posttrenken, on 04 June 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 4 2012, 11:26 AM) I said in a thread a while back that I thought this might be a top five album... I think I was basing that on the first three releases because it was before the clips came out.

I think I wasn't wrong. I'm on my third listen now, and I do think this is a top five album for me... or close to it.

I like the album a lot but after 3 listens no way is it top 5 for me. This isnt on the same level as 2112, Hemispheres, PeW, MP and PoW. It's in the top 10 though.

For the folks that don,t know,Trenken won vocalist of the year (2012),for those of us who do know, he stunk!!!!!!

#925 canadianice

canadianice

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2964 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Clockwork Angels is a MASTERPIECE.

#926 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

View Postcanadianice, on 09 August 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

Clockwork Angels is a MASTERPIECE.

Yes.  Yes it is.

#927 g under p

g under p

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4842 posts
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:28 AM

On a trip from Palm Beach FL to Wilmington NC a 11 hour drive last year I took ALL the RUSH albums including the live ones, I listened CA and for the first time it hit me how great an album it really is. I played it about 60 miles from my destination and with increased volume I picked up speed through the song Headlong Flight. I almost flew into a speed trap set up while approaching Wilmington but I wasn't stopped.

If that's their last album it's certainly moved up on the RUSH album list....it's fantastic.

#928 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17675 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

Another album I haven't heard in a few months...when I'm all in for something pretty heavy, I'll spin it again.

I've always loved CA...overall the strongest Rush album in 25 years, at the time of its release.

#929 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53762 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

As issued, Clockwork is just OK with me.  Some great songs, but I don't necessarily enjoy the way it flows, and I think it's longer than it needs to be.  So, once again, here's my re-packaged Clockwork Angels and the way I prefer to listen to it.

1. Clockwork Angels (would have been a perfect opener, setting the story's scene)
2. BU2B (Tempo and structural change, Introducing the central character)
3. Anarchist (Pick things up again with a great bass-driven jam)
4. Seven Cities of Gold (Down-tempo, but musically interesting, especially in this position relative to the other songs)
5. Carnies (Back to an up-tempo track, one with some killer drumming)
6. BU2B2 (Why not.  It's inoffensive, and serves to bring the story full circle)
7. Caravan - or - Headlong Flight (Two killer mini-epics that have every over-the-top RUSH jam that endears the band to its fans.  Either makes a perfect closer, but both on the same album seem unnecessary. Save one as a one-off single.)

Bonus Hidden Track:  The Garden (A nice post-script to the story, and a nice final statement by the band.)

This isn't to say that I don't like the tracks that I have included.  It's just that they don't add much for me either musically or story-wise, and, shortened this way, the album is indeed masterful.  To my ears, anyway.

:cheers:

#930 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32239 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:32 AM

It's a very interesting album

It doesn't click with me but I can hear greatness pretty much all the way through it.

Down to taste. I don't think it's a classic, I don't think it's a good album in the sense it set any sort of benchmark. It doesn't add anything to Rush's catalogue of greatness and if it never came out, the modern rock scene would not be any different.

The best part of this album is the attention Rush got from it.

#931 AnEggplant

AnEggplant

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1634 posts
  • Interests:Coming up with things to put in my "interests" box.

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:14 AM

Well, my initial reactions are the same as my reaction now. It's amazing, and my favorite Rush album

#932 Mosher

Mosher

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 643 posts
  • Interests:Geography, music, basketball, philosophy, fantasy, writing, world-building

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

Clockwork Angels blew me away. I did not expect anything of the kind before I listened. Vapor Trails didn't have anything that hit me immediately other than Earthshine and How It Is, Snakes was a great album technically that had very little that made me pay rapt attention.

I actually was wondering if I had actually aged out of 'getting it'. The Vapor Trails remix was essential and I like the album much more now, but still, both of those releases are just 'standard'. As a Rush fan that's fine, but I wanted stellar.

Clockwork Angels was the album I'd been craving since I was a kid. For me it is every bit as strong as the best they've ever done.

If this really is it, then what a magnificent way to go out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users