Official Clockwork Angels Initial Reactions thread

The Owl

Only thing I'm finding is that each of the songs are longer than they need to be. Like, without some changes to make the song sound different throughout, it just gets repetative at times. But other than that, so far we're doing well.

Caravan = way better than the original. Probably still my favorite song on the album at this point. It destroys face.

BU2B = Again, way better with the remix. Sounds more solid and smooth.

Clockwork Angels = Did nothing for me on the first listen. I'd give it a 1/10 at this point. Maybe it will get better after more listens.

Anarchist = immediately awesome, but as I said before, It doesnt need to be 6 minutes. I think the song was justified after about 4. Still though, excellent track.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jun 4 2012, 11:14 AM)
Other than the new intro for BU2B, what differences are you all noticing between the original single release mixes and the album mix for Caravan & BU2B?

You serious? Like have you not heard it, and youre asking? Or have you heard it and just don't notice?

Well, theres some phaser effects, new vocal backups, theyre clearer, some of geddys bass playing is more intense during the solo than the original in caravan. bu2b has a much better mix and theres a few other noticable things.

EDIT: Half way thru and all initial actions are that this is all great except the title track.

Edited by UltimoGuitarist

Up to Seven Cities of Gold...love the bass intro.

So far, I've liked everything I've heard...though Halo Effect was a bit slow. I'll need to dig into the lyrics more on that one.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 4 2012, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jun 4 2012, 11:14 AM)
Other than the new intro for BU2B, what differences are you all noticing between the original single release mixes and the album mix for Caravan & BU2B?

You serious? Like have you not heard it, and youre asking? Or have you heard it and just don't notice?

Ha ha, well there's always option C - I've heard it and can't tell if I'm hearing new things because I'm listening on a different setup than normal and wanted to know what you guys are hearing.

Like, if I had a way to listen to it, I might be hearing a little more bass punched up in the Caravan mix, with keyboards more prominent in the non-vocal sections; an extra spoken vocal "death" at the end of BU2B that I didn't remember; and, hypothetically, things like that. And, I might not be sure if I'm hearing things, especially if my original single copies I bought are on my home computer and I don't have a way to compare.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 4 2012, 10:15 AM)
Only thing I'm finding is that each of the songs are longer than they need to be. Like, without some changes to make the song sound different throughout, it just gets repetative at times. But other than that, so far we're doing well.

Caravan = way better than the original. Probably still my favorite song on the album at this point. It destroys face.
BU2B = Again, way better with the remix. Sounds more solid and smooth.
Clockwork Angels = Did nothing for me on the first listen. I'd give it a 1/10 at this point. Maybe it will get better after more listens.
Anarchist = immediately awesome, but as I said before, It doesnt need to be 6 minutes. I think the song was justified after about 4. Still though, excellent track.

Totally agree, great post.

But RUSH wrote and recorded the songs to their ear, not mine. I respect that.

OK - my initial reactions...

Caravan - Just as awesome as it was 2 years ago. Noticed a few little subtle changes, but nothing major.

BU2B - I like the added intro. Still awesome and heavy as ever.

Clockwork Angels - LOVE IT...and dammit, I'm stickin' to it tongue.gif

The Anarchist - Pretty rockin' yes.gif

Carnies - Another "LOVE IT" tune 1022.gif

Halo Effect - Nice mellow song...

Seven Cities Of Gold - Not bad...Geddy's basswork is killer though yes.gif

BU2B2 - Short. Simple. Filler? Prehaps...but a neat little segue...

The Wreckers - AWESOME.

Headlong Flight - Yep - STILL an amazingly rockin' tune 1022.gif

Wish Them Well - Definatley the "weakest" track on the album. Not horrible, but not great, either.

The Garden - GREAT closing track. As Storm Shadow commented, it's very "purdy" yes.gif

Overall...GREAT ALBUM! yes.gif 1022.gif Better than Snakes & Arrows, for sure.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 4 2012, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHandOSU @ Jun 4 2012, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Jun 4 2012, 10:00 AM)
Seems like so far I'm the only one who actually really LIKES the title track... unsure.gif

dude im digging the title track right now yes.gif yes.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

LOVE the chorus yes.gif

+1

And for anyone commenting on how the title track has too many/weird melody changes - I actually LOVE that...very Dream Theater-like yes.gif

Its funny how Neil said Wish Them Well was the song they put the most effort into and that he hates the song because of it, and it turns out to be the stinker on the album.

He said they dropped it once or twice, and it should have stayed there. Its just too kind of Foo Fighters to me. Doesnt fit in with the rest of the songs.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 07:32 AM)
Its funny how Neil said Wish Them Well was the song they put the most effort into and that he hates the song because of it, and it turns out to be the stinker on the album.

He said they dropped it once or twice, and it should have stayed there. Its just too kind of Foo Fighters to me. Doesnt fit in with the rest of the songs.

I actually dislike Halo Effect more than that one.

I agree with those that say this album is too long. Most of the songs don't justify the length, and go on too long.

Youtube really degrades the quality. Why would you listen to it on Youtube?

Because I have no other way of listening since I can't download these, ahem....

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Jun 4 2012, 11:37 AM)
Youtube really degrades the quality. Why would you listen to it on Youtube?

Because I have no other way of listening since I can't download these, ahem....

You could wait a week and buy the album. wink.gif

I remember reading that Carnies would be considered the heaviest Rush song of all times..

I'd respectfully disagree. Still fantastic though. smile.gif

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 4 2012, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 4 2012, 11:33 AM)
There are too many power chords.

And this is a bad thing because......?

I'm being sarcastic in reference to a previous thread.