SIT DOWN, YOUR IN THE WAY !!!

got rush?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 29 2012, 06:48 PM)
Same here, if I'm off the floor. On the floor, standing is the rule, I get that, and I'd never argue it. But the further back from the floor you get, the more you'll find people sitting and enjoying the show. That's why I said go with the flow earlier - if you're the lone jerkoff who is standing up, jumping around like a lunatic and blocking people's view behind you, *you* are the problem, not *them*.

But as we saw in the other two threads about this - and in almost every response here - there is no one as selfish as a concert goer. "I don't care if I ruin your night as long as I'm not inconvenienced in any way" is the norm.

Well, I can certainly agree with the first part...

I rarely, if ever, see people standing in the upper bowl...and I follow suit.

...and yeah, that's why since my ridiculous experience on the R30 Tour, I now focus only on getting FLOOR seats. I want to have that guarantee that I can stand and enjoy myself at the shows. So far, so good thankfully.

Your concept the "selfish concert goer"...yeah, that applies to BOTH sides. The guy standing might be selfish, but the guy who sits there bitching at them, telling them to NOT have fun, and throwing crap at them is equally selfish.

That's life I guess.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 29 2012, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 29 2012, 06:48 PM)
Same here, if I'm off the floor. On the floor, standing is the rule, I get that, and I'd never argue it. But the further back from the floor you get, the more you'll find people sitting and enjoying the show. That's why I said go with the flow earlier - if you're the lone jerkoff who is standing up, jumping around like a lunatic and blocking people's view behind you, *you* are the problem, not *them*.

But as we saw in the other two threads about this - and in almost every response here - there is no one as selfish as a concert goer. "I don't care if I ruin your night as long as I'm not inconvenienced in any way" is the norm.

Well, I can certainly agree with the first part...

I rarely, if ever, see people standing in the upper bowl...and I follow suit.

...and yeah, that's why since my ridiculous experience on the R30 Tour, I now focus only on getting FLOOR seats. I want to have that guarantee that I can stand and enjoy myself at the shows. So far, so good thankfully.

Your concept the "selfish concert goer"...yeah, that applies to BOTH sides. The guy standing might be selfish, but the guy who sits there bitching at them, telling them to NOT have fun, and throwing crap at them is equally selfish.

That's life I guess.

I understand why you see it that way, I really do. And it even makes a certain amount of sense. But to me, it comes down to an analysis:

1. If everyone stands, everyone enjoys the show.

2. If everyone sits, everyone enjoys the show.

3. If everyone stands but one person sits, that one person can't see the band and will have a lousy night.

4. If everyone sits but one person stands, there could be upwards of 5-10 people behind him whose view will be obstructed, ruining their experience. If that person is there with friends? Forget it... five people standing up while everyone is sitting behind them, now they're ruining dozens of peoples' views.

Everyone paid the same amount of money to be there. Nobody has any rights more than anyone else. So, the questions are, is the person in example 4 "allowed" to stand? Of course. Will his night be ruined if he sits? Clearly not. Is he a douchebag for putting his own selfish desires ahead of the people behind him? Yep.

That's why I said go with the flow earlier. If everyone is standing, awesome. But if you're the *only* one standing, just understand that everyone hates you and you're ruining someone else's night - several someones, most likely. If that's okay with you, then fine. Just don't try to convince people that you're some kind of hero for standing up in the back of the venue. (and I'm not addressing you specifically, ED, just talking in the general "you")

A question for those who defiantly insist on standing when asked to sit:

When your fellow concert-goers call security and have them ask you to sit down, will you be just as defiant as when security wasn't there?

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 29 2012, 07:37 PM)

When your fellow concert-goers call security and have them ask you to sit down, will you be just as defiant as when security wasn't there?

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

The security guard told me and my buddy to keep standing.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 29 2012, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 29 2012, 06:43 PM)
Personally, I enjoy sitting down, relaxing, and taking in the music, rather than jumping around and flailing my arms like an asshole. smile.gif

All jokes aside...no offence, but you need to get off your high horse just a bit.

You're seriously calling every person who goes to rock concerts and decides that they are going to stand, oh...and wait for it...have fun air drumming / air guitar and whatnot assholes? Really? wacko.gif

I was actually saying that if I were to jump around and obstruct peoples' views (not hard to do, being well over 6 feet tall), and was knowingly ruining the show for people trying to sit & enjoy what they paid for, then it would be I who was the asshole.

Was I calling you an asshole? Hardly. Was I actually addressing anybody on this board as "asshole"? Of course not!

My horse is of standard height, so put your tape measure down, please. Thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE (beherit @ May 29 2012, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ May 29 2012, 07:37 PM)

smile.gif  smile.gif  smile.gif

The security guard told me and my buddy to keep standing.

Thank you for sharing that, but my question was about when security tells you to sit down, and if you'll do it or not.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 29 2012, 08:55 PM)
Personally, I enjoy sitting down, relaxing, and taking in the music, rather than jumping around and flailing my arms like an asshole. smile.gif

All jokes aside...no offence, but you need to get off your high horse just a bit.

You're seriously calling every person who goes to rock concerts and decides that they are going to stand, oh...and wait for it...have fun air drumming / air guitar and whatnot assholes? Really? wacko.gif

I was actually saying that if I were to jump around and obstruct peoples' views (not hard to do, being well over 6 feet tall), and was knowingly ruining the show for people trying to sit & enjoy what they paid for, then it would be I who was the asshole.

Was I calling you an asshole? Hardly. Was I actually addressing anybody on this board as "asshole"? Of course not!

My horse is of standard height, so put your tape measure down, please. Thanks. smile.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry...like I said before, I wasn't trying to be offensive. You're a cool dude.

Like I mentioned in my story earlier...I've tried hard to adjust to the people around...and I always do. Like I said, those people in the extra row behind us...I extended what I thought was a generous 'olive branch' by offering to switch spots and let them sit in front, and have us behind them where we could stand (being the last row of the section in the Amptheatre), and they could sit. A win-win. But they strictly denied it just out of spite...and then to watch them leave throughout the show was extremely aggravating.

Anyone who knows me, absolutely knows my love for this band. Rush IS what I'm all about. People hear 'Rush', they think of me immediately. I'm a fanboi...I'm a guy who would be at every show if I could make it and afford it! If those people were die-hard fans like me, I would've felt better about the situation. I love my fellow Rush fans...love all you guys. I believe that we should always look out for each other the best we can.

Unfortunately, that day just really soured my experience, and of course my views on these types of debates. Like I said, this was the only situation where I was asked to sit, and I did. I wasn't happy about it, but I did it. I went with the flow.

Anyways, again, hopefully you didn't take offence to my sharp tongue! trink39.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 29 2012, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 29 2012, 08:55 PM)

laugh.gif

Sorry...like I said before, I wasn't trying to be offensive. You're a cool dude.

Like I mentioned in my story earlier...I've tried hard to adjust to the people around...and I always do. Like I said, those people in the extra row behind us...I extended what I thought was a generous 'olive branch' by offering to switch spots and let them sit in front, and have us behind them where we could stand (being the last row of the section in the Amptheatre), and they could sit. A win-win. But they strictly denied it just out of spite...and then to watch them leave throughout the show was extremely aggravating.

Anyone who knows me, absolutely knows my love for this band. Rush IS what I'm all about. People hear 'Rush', they think of me immediately. I'm a fanboi...I'm a guy who would be at every show if I could make it and afford it! If those people were die-hard fans like me, I would've felt better about the situation. I love my fellow Rush fans...love all you guys. I believe that we should always look out for each other the best we can.

Unfortunately, that day just really soured my experience, and of course my views on these types of debates. Like I said, this was the only situation where I was asked to sit, and I did. I wasn't happy about it, but I did it. I went with the flow.

Anyways, again, hopefully you didn't take offence to my sharp tongue! trink39.gif

It's cool, dude. I wasn't really offended, I was just wanting to clear it up that I say things such as "like an asshole" often, and am usually implying that what activity I'm referring to in the expression would make other people think I'm an asshole. wacko.gif

I do get it, though. It is a rock concert. If everyone's standing up, I'm standing too. I prefer to sit, but hell, if I can't see, I'm up! No biggie.

It would get a bit tiring if it was for 3 hours straight though. But I always count on songs like Faithless and other non-crowd-pleasers for a break.

(even though I love the non-crowd-pleasers more than the crowd pleasers sometimes! laugh.gif )

Gees,

Another stand/sit thread. laugh.gif All I can say is, I get a seat where I am free to do both. An Isle seat. Or the lawn if it's outside. I will not be told to sit as if I were in school. It's a fu***** 2.gif Concert! 1022.gif 2.gif

I'm definitely with the "go with the flow" crowd. If everyone around me is sitting down, I am not gonna be the only jerk standing the whole time, but fortunately, every time I go to a Rush show, I get good seats and everyone is always standing, so it's usually all good.

The one time I did go against the flow was when I saw Styx in the late 90s and they played Queen of Spades, which shocked me. I was literally the only person in our section standing for that song, but I didn't care. I was gonna enjoy that song to the fullest. cool.gif

At many of the venues I've gone to, the seats fold up against the backrest. I would always sit on the top of the folded seat part of the chair (kind of a slouch), therefore I'm not putting all my weight on my feet all night. Also, I see more than if I were sitting, and it decreases my height a bit so nobody's view was really blocked as opposed to if I were standing regularly. I've never had any complaints cool.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 29 2012, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 29 2012, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 29 2012, 05:43 PM)

Thank You goodpost.gif

MD?? Really?

I'm shocked! You're METALdad afterall...

ohmy.gif

laugh.gif I think you have it wrong . I agree with the others here that say "Go with the flow" That is what i have always done. Do you think i Sit during Slayer ? Hell no. I cannot take those people that when their wife lets them out of the house once a year , they think it's Prom Night all over agian . The same guy that is the Only one standing in a section of 300 people just so he can be seen , always looking over his shoulder to see if We are watching him act like an ass. I see this at almost Every show i go to and i have been going to shows since 1980 . Some bands, people Never sit down so i stand , no biggie . When the 40yr Prom Night guy is doing Leg Splits and Banging his head on his chair during Closer To The Heart , he needs a slap .

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 30 2012, 09:25 AM)
laugh.gif I think you have it wrong . I agree with the others here that say "Go with the flow" That is what i have always done. Do you think i Sit during Slayer ? Hell no. I cannot take those people that when their wife lets them out of the house once a year , they think it's Prom Night all over agian . The same guy that is the Only one standing in a section of 300 people just so he can be seen , always looking over his shoulder to see if We are watching him act like an ass. I see this at almost Every show i go to and i have been going to shows since 1980 . Some bands, people Never sit down so i stand , no biggie . When the 40yr Prom Night guy is doing Leg Splits and Banging his head on his chair during Closer To The Heart , he needs a slap .

ROFL. Oh my! z7shysterical.gif

All I can counter that with is 'supposedly' a big allure of Rush is that level of individualism, being different, going against the masses, so maybe kudos on the guy dancing by himself like a dork.

I would do the same as that guy, except not for attention, and not giving the slightest shit what people around me think. And leg splits? Really?

Hilariously stated metaldad!

1022.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 30 2012, 09:26 AM)
All I can counter that with is 'supposedly' a big allure of Rush is that level of individualism, being different, going against the masses,  so maybe kudos on the guy dancing by himself like a dork.

I was such a dork at the Vapor Trails Show that I separated my shoulder..... doh.gif Learned my lesson, I did.... dazed025.gif dazed025.gif

QUOTE (kkb2323 @ May 29 2012, 02:48 PM)
Any show we have had the luck to see, we have always stood the ENTIRE SHOW.
We sing and dance, even air drum and guitar..
Our seats have always been within the first 5 rows on the floor.
This tour CA we have seats in the visually acessable area 1st Sec. Above floor next to stage 106
Geddy's side for HOUSTON. 108 in Universal City 1st row. Sec d in Atlanta.

Has anyone had a problem with NOT being able to stand for the show.
On the floor everyone stands. What about the other sections besides floor seats?

2.gif 2.gif bitchslap.gif tempted.gif waffen093.gif banghead.gif

I have had people be upset when I wanted to stand up at a Rush concert. Since then I go out of my way to make sure that I am up close, diehards always stand up at Rush concerts. It is the intensity of their music that requires a standing audience!

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ May 30 2012, 09:26 AM)
laugh.gif  I think you have it wrong . I agree with the others here that say "Go with the flow" That is what i have always done. Do you think i Sit during Slayer ? Hell no.  I cannot take those people that when their wife lets them out of the house once a year , they think it's Prom Night all over agian . The same guy that is the Only one standing in a section of 300 people just so he can be seen , always looking over his shoulder to see if We are watching him act like an ass. I see this at almost Every show i go to and i have been going to shows since 1980 . Some bands, people Never sit down so i stand , no biggie . When the 40yr Prom Night guy is doing Leg Splits and Banging his head on his chair during Closer To The Heart , he needs a slap .

ROFL. Oh my! z7shysterical.gif

All I can counter that with is 'supposedly' a big allure of Rush is that level of individualism, being different, going against the masses, so maybe kudos on the guy dancing by himself like a dork.

I would do the same as that guy, except not for attention, and not giving the slightest shit what people around me think. And leg splits? Really?

Hilariously stated metaldad!

1022.gif

trink39.gif I think it was on the T4E tour

Thank You goodpost.gif

MD?? Really?

ohmy.gif

+1

I attend about 5-10 concerts per year. One thing I learned: I do not have the right to do what I want to do if it means offending a number of other people in the process. Guess my parents brought me up right.

Edited by drgrendel

QUOTE (kkb2323 @ May 29 2012, 02:48 PM)
Any show we have had the luck to see, we have always stood the ENTIRE SHOW.
We sing and dance, even air drum and guitar..
Our seats have always been within the first 5 rows on the floor.
This tour CA we have seats in the visually acessable area 1st Sec. Above floor next to stage 106
Geddy's side for HOUSTON. 108 in Universal City 1st row. Sec d in Atlanta.

Has anyone had a problem with NOT being able to stand for the show.
On the floor everyone stands. What about the other sections besides floor seats?

2.gif 2.gif bitchslap.gif tempted.gif waffen093.gif banghead.gif

If the people to your right are sitting down, and the people to your left are sitting down, and the entire section is behind you is sitting down...

Sit down.

^------ screw that. Everyone else is probably a shy loser too scared to being the only one standing up... cowering... hoping... praying that someone else will show some signs of fun so that they can join in.

People want to sit? Sit. People want to stand? Stand. Yes even it there are 10 thousand people and you are the one doing it. Either way it's your choice but don't bitch if other people are standing up.

It's a goddamn rock concert not a John Tesh show. If you can't handle the VERY LIKELY possibility that at a rock show the person in front of you is going to stand and enjoy the show?

Do everyone a favor and stay the f**k home.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ May 30 2012, 02:30 PM)

Thank You goodpost.gif

MD?? Really?

ohmy.gif

+1

I attend about 5-10 concerts per year. One thing I learned: I do not have the right to do what I want to do if it means offending a number of other people in the process. Guess my parents brought me up right.

...or, just don't get easily offended. biggrin.gif