SIT DOWN, YOUR IN THE WAY !!!

got rush?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if a band puts seats in a non seated venue then absolutely no one should moan at people for wanting to sit - they are putting seats in so that they can charge ridiculous amounts of money for front row positions - that is so far from rock 'n' roll as you can get

rock and roll shows in non-seated venues should be just that, non-seated

d

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 18 2012, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Jun 18 2012, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 17 2012, 10:47 PM)
I cannot stand it that people are so RUDE to stand throughout a concert, no matter where they are sitting in the venue. Smaller people cannot see when people stand up. I have been to concerts where I am almost standing on my toes to see anything. Standing ought to be outlawed. Sit down or be thrown out!

Conform or be cast out?

haha i already made that joke earlier in the thread

Oops, sorry, I missed it. oops.gif

I just can't help myself sometimes.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 18 2012, 03:50 AM)
I cannot stand it that people are so RUDE to stand throughout a concert, no matter where they are sitting in the venue. Smaller people cannot see when people stand up. I have been to concerts where I am almost standing on my toes to see anything. Standing ought to be outlawed. Sit down or be thrown out!

Stand on your seat

No! That just perpetuates the problem and is RUDE to the person behind me! Doesn't anyone GET it?!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 18 2012, 08:51 PM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 18 2012, 03:50 AM)

Stand on your seat

No! That just perpetuates the problem and is RUDE to the person behind me! Doesn't anyone GET it?!

We "get" it, I "get" it I'm 5'2" but I cannot imagine sitting for a Rush show. I'm moving to the music just as almost everyone is this thread has said.

It's a rock concert you can't expect people to sit, it will never happen! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Jun 18 2012, 08:18 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 18 2012, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Jun 18 2012, 03:39 PM)

Conform or be cast out?

haha i already made that joke earlier in the thread

Oops, sorry, I missed it. oops.gif

I just can't help myself sometimes.

I understand, it's hard to not make Rush references in these tough times

When it comes to rock and metal shows, the presence of a seat does not compel someone to use it to sit down. It simply offers them the possibility of sitting down if they so choose.

Another music forum I'm on recently had this debate too. Someone summed it up quite nicely I thought:

If the artist onstage is playing loud/rocking music, then the crowd has every right to stand.

If the artist onstage is playing soft/acoustic music, then the crowd can be expected to sit.

I've never been asked to sit at a 2.gif concert and hope to never run into that. It has happened to me at other shows. Here are a few anecdotes of my experiences.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - I was in about the 12th row back from the stage. Everyone in front of me was standing. I stood too. A guy behind me asked me to sit down. I said no. He insisted on it. I asked him if he expected me to ask everyone in front of me to sit down too. He said yes. I just laughed and turned back toward the stage, continuing to stand.

CSNY - I was in the 2nd row from the back of the building. The people behind me were sitting. I sat for most of the show and then stood up to rock out during a favorite rocking song. They asked me to sit down. I did so because I wanted to listen to the song rather than argue with them.

Heaven & Hell/Alice Cooper/Queensryche- I was in the Orchestra but fairly far back (at Jones Beach). The guy next to me and I were both standing (I didn't know him). Two guys in back of us told us we should sit down. We said no and kept standing. They eventually gave up. I turned around when the show was over & they were already gone.

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band - I was in the lower bowl about halfway back at Nassau Coliseum. A woman diagonally in back of me asked me to sit down. I said no. She called over a security guard and he told her that lots of people were standing and he couldn't make me sit down. I stood for the rocking songs and sat down for the mellow ones.

Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - I was in the 5th row stage right at the Apollo Theater on Halloween. My whole row was standing up (during the rocking songs only). People behind us yelled for us to sit down. A guy right behind me got more & more abusive, telling me that his wife stands all day at work. I responded that I did too (was true back then). This couple was younger than me and not physically disabled at all. I sat for the 2nd set & encore as the only way I could have shut this asshole up was to hit him in the face. I turned around when the show was over & they were already gone.

I got the very front corner seat in my section, so I'll probably sit because there won't be anyone standing in front. smile.gif

I've got tickets to the show in Edmonton second tier row 29 of 40 two sections over from the stage and I'm gonna be standing the whole time. I saw Deep Purple back in February and I was in Row 5 on the floor. My dad and I stood up for the first two songs and then sat down because absolutely nobody was standing. When they started their encore with Woman From Tokyo I turned to my dad and said F*** this. I then asked the woman in front of me to move over a little. I climbed to the front row and rocked out for Woman From Tokyo, Hush and Smoke On The Water. Edited by billybobjoe1881

Saw them in VA Beach in '07 and we were standing up and rocking out..air drumming, air bass slapping, etc.

Some geezers behind us who were sitting down yelled at us to sit with a grimace on their faces. My friends and I just stared back at them with the same disgusted face and basically gave them a big "f**k you, we will not sit"

it's a goddamned rock concert for crying out loud

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 27 2012, 06:29 PM)
Saw them in VA Beach in '07 and we were standing up and rocking out..air drumming, air bass slapping, etc.

Some geezers behind us who were sitting down yelled at us to sit with a grimace on their faces. My friends and I just stared back at them with the same disgusted face and basically gave them a big "f**k you, we will not sit"

it's a goddamned rock concert for crying out loud

1022.gif

QUOTE (Yefa @ Jun 24 2012, 09:05 PM)
People behind us yelled for us to sit down. A guy right behind me got more & more abusive, telling me that his wife stands all day at work. I responded that I did too (was true back then). This couple was younger than me and not physically disabled at all. I sat for the 2nd set & encore as the only way I could have shut this asshole up was to hit him in the face. I turned around when the show was over & they were already gone.

Sorry that anyone has to deal with assholes like this.

I'm so mad that from this day forward, for every asshole that asks me to sit down at a rock concert? I will convince two other in front of them to stand up.

1287.gif

I couldn't help it. My friends and I were kept getting told (politely) to sit down, and we just wouldn't listen. We'd comply, apologize, but give it two minutes and we were back to jumping and screaming. tongue.gif I feel bad about it, but it was our first Rush concert, we paid 100 bucks to be there, and well, just the fact that we couldn't BARE to sit down, we were simply forced out of our seats from the awesome. I'm sorry for anyone who likes to sit at a rock concert but AAHHHHHH! Me sitting is just not going to happen.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 31 2012, 02:39 AM)
There are few things more irritating when youre at a show and some killjoy behind you keeps yelling to sit down. Total load of bullshit.

I totally agree...this happened to me at the TMT show in Greensboro. Total BS

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 10 2012, 01:57 AM)
Better hope you never sit behind me. I stand up and rock out all night till it's over. and if you f**k with me about it ,it won't be pretty. I don't spend that kind of money to sit,that's called flying,we came to rock.

I totally agree. It is like "flying".

This is first tour that we are not on the floor for some

venues. I just better not have any problems.

My wife will use her visual aid cane and it won't

Be pretty! oops.gif

I understand this Rush and some of the fans may be a little "up in years" but it's a ROCK concert. I have as much right to stand as you do to ask me to sit down. I don't have to listen, but you can ask. My seat, my choice. And this is not only a Rush thing. Even at the younger band shows people are constantly bitching about people standing.

Haven't had a problem with standing since the Vapor Trails Tour. We were the only people in our section standing (call it rude), but our section was the only section not standing. Eventually a hard core Rush fan behind us demanded that we sit. In between songs, he told us that he had been seeing Rush since the 70's and wanted to enjoy the show without us standing. My response was... "When You saw Rush in the 70's did you sit or stand?" He knew I was right, but it made him mad, and he ultimately got an usher that made us sit. So, we retreated to the field, so we could stand at will and not be bothered.

Sitting at a rock show causes me incredible anger. I mean nowadays I may actually sit down for a few minutes here and there if there is some mellow songs but normally on my feet rocking out. I have pissed off a lot of people over the years. I figure if your going to sit down you might as well stay home and watch TV.

Now if we could do something about every 3rd person holding up their iPhone the whole show.

QUOTE (bootlegguy @ Sep 10 2012, 08:58 AM)

Now if we could do something about every 3rd person holding up their iPhone the whole show.

If you could sneak a paintball gun in that would shake things up a bit, but then we wouldn't get all the youtube videos with the *excellent* sound.