The Truth about Subway?

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 1 2012, 12:53 PM)

Call me a food snob if you want - because its true. Eating out, especially at natioanlly-owned restaurants and chains - is rarely healthy. Sometimes it's not avoidable, of course, but choosing Subway over McDonalds instead of making your own lunch on a regular basis isn't great for you..

I agree..I always stick with only grilled meats like chicken and fish (no sauces or crap on top either) with veggies or salads with grilled chicken at restaurants.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 1 2012, 10:53 AM)
And that "fresh" bread? )I can't say I have seen Subway employees making putting together fresh yeast in the back, rolling out the dough and baking it. Most likely that bread was frozen and warmed in the ovens you see at the counter, mostly for space and convenience purposes.) Then add the dressings which are loaded with more chemicals and fat - and the "fat free" ones have sugar and salt dumped in to replace the flavor the fat usually adds...

They don't roll dough in the restaurant, but they have dough shipped in which is then baked fresh. They are not sent fully baked frozen bread. Incidentally, apart from mom & pop bakeries, this is pretty standard.

As for the dressings, standard oil and vinegar is what I get when I go there, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as they don't drench the sandwich. It's just oil and vinegar.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 1 2012, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 1 2012, 10:53 AM)
And that "fresh" bread?  )I can't say I have seen Subway employees making putting together fresh yeast in the back, rolling out the dough and baking it.  Most likely that bread was frozen and warmed in the ovens you see at the counter, mostly for space and convenience purposes.)  Then add the dressings which are loaded with more chemicals and fat - and the "fat free" ones have sugar and salt dumped in to replace the flavor the fat usually adds...

They don't roll dough in the restaurant, but they have dough shipped in which is then baked fresh. They are not sent fully baked frozen bread. Incidentally, apart from mom & pop bakeries, this is pretty standard.

As for the dressings, standard oil and vinegar is what I get when I go there, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as they don't drench the sandwich. It's just oil and vinegar.

Hmm, ok. I guess I still question where it's being shipped in from, and how it stays fresh (how long does "shipping" take)? Bread ingredients (actually ALL the food ingredients!) are listed here: http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf Not sure what sorghum is and, and the various "dough conditioners" sound freaky.

My skepticism is also based on former consumption of Subway bread and real, made-at-home from real scratch bread (not a box!) - and the difference in taste. Again, I can't say I don't ever eat bread with preservatives, but I try to limit, if and when I can.

Oh and I love myself some olive oil - I often just whisk up dressing at home for various salads and whatnot with good quality olive oil, balsamic or apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, fresh lemon and a teaspoon of organic fruit preserves (if you want something sweet). yes.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 1 2012, 01:49 PM)
Ooooh I never thought about using fruit preserves in a dressing like that... I'm going to try that!

Over spinach and arugula = amazing and great for summer drool1.gif

It's not as good as a real deli, but it's not bad. Better to eat Subway than to eat other fast food - like BK, McDonald's, etc.

I have to agree with whoever first posted that location is everything. When I was still living at home, there was a great Subway around the corner from my mother's house. The ingredients, particularly the bread, were always very fresh and delicious. For a chain sub shop, this was quality stuff. Then I walked into a different Subway - in the same city, mind you - and had the opposite experience: not fresh at all, pure crap. Since then, I've found it to be a crapshoot: when you walk into a Subway, you never know what you're going to get.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 1 2012, 03:12 PM)
It's not as good as a real deli, but it's not bad. Better to eat Subway than to eat other fast food - like BK, McDonald's, etc.

I have to agree with whoever first posted that location is everything. When I was still living at home, there was a great Subway around the corner from my mother's house. The ingredients, particularly the bread, were always very fresh and delicious. For a chain sub shop, this was quality stuff. Then I walked into a different Subway - in the same city, mind you - and had the opposite experience: not fresh at all, pure crap. Since then, I've found it to be a crapshoot: when you walk into a Subway, you never know what you're going to get.

Agreed. Overall, I like Subway because it's cheap, and a better alternative to other fast food crap like burgers. Fat and calories are generally much lower and it fills me up. I stick with a lot of veggies...extra tomatoes and the only condiment I get is spicy mustard. I will get oil/vinegar every once in blue moon but not often.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 29 2012, 12:56 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 28 2012, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ May 28 2012, 10:37 AM)
wacko.gif

What the hell is wrong with Subway?!?

Man...they must stink in the States, because the Subway's I've been to here in Canada are great.

I don't eat out often, and I almost never eat any fast food, but if I eat any 'fast food', it's always Subs.

Make note: Never go to Subway in the USA.

I think each one is a bit different and quality can be affected greatly by the employees since there is not a lot of supervision. Interesting that there are complaints about the bread since it baked in the restaurant every day, not shipped in.

Yeah...I think it's interesting that the bread is part of people's complaints because it always tastes fresh and amazing at the stores I go to. It's one of the reasons I love going to Subway.

I guess it truly just comes down to the individual stores, and who's working there. Subs are my only 'fast food' choice...I usually never go anywhere else.

It's not really "fresh". The bread is shipped in frozen, premade "loaves", thawed and then baked.

Some subways are better than others...Just make sure you don't get mugged at gunpoint,and lose all your hasheesh--casheesh!!! laugh.gif ohmy.gif biggrin.gif cool10.gif rofl3.gif

All joking aside....the few times I've been to subway, it's been excellent.

Some sandwich maker's are better than others,obviously..and some locations are better than others also.Here in So Cal, the ingredients

are always fresh and tasty....and I agree, the cookies and chips are

top notch , too. I'm always on the lookout for subway coupons to save

some cash,so the deals are always good. Overall, I got no complaints about subway. Its a cheap meal...ya get what ya pay for.

QUOTE (Babycat @ May 30 2012, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 30 2012, 01:57 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 29 2012, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ May 29 2012, 03:10 PM)
Never had a problem with a Foot-Long Sub.

like it cut or uncut?

...and the thread took a turn...

Wh oops.gif ..! I think I just realized where I went wrong with my comment... facepalm.gif

blush4.gif

rofl3.gif

Its all good! That made me laugh...hard! laugh.gif

Get it? Hard. tongue.gif

Were all adults here. wink.gif

By the way, Subway isn't any good compared to any deli, but its better than most fast food options as far as healthy choices go.

I've had great sandwiches at Subway, and I've also had shitty sandwiches at Subway. It depends on what time of day it is and who is behind the counter. I would love to have tasted Subway when it was just a small sandwich joint in Bridgeport, not some world-wide corporate crap-chise.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 12 2012, 09:06 PM)
I've had great sandwiches at Subway, and I've also had shitty sandwiches at Subway. It depends on what time of day it is and who is behind the counter. I would love to have tasted Subway when it was just a small sandwich joint in Bridgeport, not some world-wide corporate crap-chise.

Quizno's is awesome. I wish they'd open one in Owensboro.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 12 2012, 07:07 PM)

music.gif

We love the suuubs!!!!

'Cuz they are good to us

The Quiznos subs.

They are tasty, they are crunchy

They are warm because they toast them.

They got a pepper bar!

music.gif

http://bp1.blogger.com/_B4vHDS6DBfE/R6yvWwlcQnI/AAAAAAAAAoc/r7ctoUhXQcc/s400/sponge+monkey2.jpg

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 12 2012, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 12 2012, 07:07 PM)

music.gif

We love the suuubs!!!!

'Cuz they are good to us

The Quiznos subs.

They are tasty, they are crunchy

They are warm because they toast them.

They got a pepper bar!

music.gif

http://bp1.blogger.com/_B4vHDS6DBfE/R6yvWwlcQnI/AAAAAAAAAoc/r7ctoUhXQcc/s400/sponge+monkey2.jpg

Holy crap those things have Kentucky teeth laugh.gif

I remember those creepy commercials.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 12 2012, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ May 30 2012, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 30 2012, 01:57 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 29 2012, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ May 29 2012, 03:10 PM)
Never had a problem with a Foot-Long Sub.

like it cut or uncut?

...and the thread took a turn...

Wh oops.gif ..! I think I just realized where I went wrong with my comment... facepalm.gif

blush4.gif

rofl3.gif

Its all good! That made me laugh...hard! laugh.gif

Get it? Hard. tongue.gif

Were all adults here. wink.gif

z7shysterical.gif