Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums of All Time

capoetc

I saw the Rolling Stone magazine on the shelf at the bookstore, dedicated to the top 500 albums of all time as voted by the RS editorial staff along with Fats Domino, Flea, Britney Spears, et al.

You'll find such luminaries as Eurythmics, Albert King, The Replacements, the Beastie Boys, and the New York Dolls.

You'll even find Pavement coming in at #210, with their album "Crooked Rain", which yielded their only modest hit "Cut Your Hair".

But you'll not find Moving Pictures. Or 2112. Or any other Rush album.

Bias? I don't know ... I report, you decide. ph34r.gif

Here's a link: Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums

Edited by capoetc

QUOTE (beherit @ May 26 2012, 02:09 PM)
Old and irrelevant news, my friend.

You know, if some magazine or organization shit on my friends or someone I'd admire, I would take it personally.

Rolling Stone

1290 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10104 - 0298

(212) 484-1616

letters@rollingstone.com

RUSH has got a new album and tour coming out, proper and well-deserved placement in this RS list might have helped sell a few more tickets.

To not include MP is ignorance on the part of the younger 'editors' (failed musicians)

Ehhh who gives a ****. Part of the reason rush is so awesome is they are underrated and underappreciated, which gives them more of an intimate vibe towards us (hardcore fans).

Well, the point of music journalism is to be honest about what you like and dislike. I'm sure guys like Robert Christgau and Lester Bangs really didn't care if Rush's friends were mad over bad reviews.

I really don't care that RS shit on Rush, Sabbath, Yes, King Crimson, etc. Most of the big music critics in the 70s grew up with Buddy Holly and Little Richard and Chuck Berry, and then The Stones and Jefferson Airplane. Would you really expect someone who grew up with songs about cars and dancing around time-telling devices to enjoy songs based off of Lord of the Rings and Satan and Siddhartha? Opinions, you know. Nothing to have a grudge over.

I'm glad I never took a subscription to that magazine, now. On the other hand, I really don't give a shit what other people think. If people don't like Rush, that's their loss, not mine. Still, that's quite shocking for 2112 not to be on the list.

BTW, nothing wrong with Albert King ... that dude can bend the guitar strings.

RS was a fine mag in the late 60's and early 70's. Hunter S. Thompson, Lester Bangs, etc. They went to shit sometime around 1974. I guess with Nixon out of office, there was nothing left to bitch about.

And Albert King, the Replacements, Beastie Boys and New York Dolls all deserve a place on the list because of influence. The Replacements changed American rock music in the 80's. Just because they didn't sell like Duran Duran doesn't mean they're not good.

However, I can't understand at all why Eurythmics are on the list. Or Def Leppard.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 26 2012, 03:02 PM)
Ehhh who gives a ****. Part of the reason rush is so awesome is they are underrated and underappreciated, which gives them more of an intimate vibe towards us (hardcore fans).

This. I also never want to see them in the RRHOF

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ May 26 2012, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 26 2012, 03:02 PM)

This. I also never want to see them in the RRHOF

goodpost.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Really??!!??

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/overreact.gif

Yeah. We're pretty used to this by now, aren't we?

If someone thinks a Madonna record is the best of all time then it is. Music is subjective. These kind of lists always crack me up. Even my top 10 is always changing depending on what mood I'm in. All the great rock musicians of the last 30 years would have Rush all over their personal lists. Do we really care about Rolling Stone?

In any case, I hate the simpering, fawning style Rolling Stones has for their star artists. Even the ones I love, like Bob Dylan and Zeppelin (although, in the beginning they showed a lot of hate for LD)

QUOTE (Animate @ May 27 2012, 10:19 AM)
In any case, I hate the simpering, fawning style Rolling Stones has for their star artists. Even the ones I love, like Bob Dylan and Zeppelin (although, in the beginning they showed a lot of hate for LD)

Yeah. I like Bruce Springsteen, but when you read Rolling Stone they make him out to be the second coming of Christ. I don't think they ever gave a Springsteen album less than 5 stars.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 27 2012, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (Animate @ May 27 2012, 10:19 AM)
In any case, I  hate the simpering, fawning style Rolling Stones has for their star artists.  Even the ones I love, like Bob Dylan and Zeppelin (although, in the beginning they showed a lot of hate for LD)

Yeah. I like Bruce Springsteen, but when you read Rolling Stone they make him out to be the second coming of Christ. I don't think they ever gave a Springsteen album less than 5 stars.

Yep, they fricken LOVE The Boss, and U2 for that matter, to no end! It is so predictable and annoying.

QUOTE (beherit @ May 27 2012, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 27 2012, 09:13 AM)
There are jazz albums on the list. Jazz albums. That says a lot.

Oh yeah, Pavement is great.

There should be jazz albums.

I dunno. The list obviously leans towards rock/pop. To my ears, jazz is worthy of its own list. Why mix genres?

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 28 2012, 02:07 AM)
QUOTE (beherit @ May 26 2012, 03:09 PM)

yes.gif

Nothing new in the west.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ May 27 2012, 04:33 AM)
QUOTE (beherit @ May 26 2012, 02:09 PM)

You know, if some magazine or organization shit on [my friends or] someone I'd admire, I would take it personally.

Why would you take it personally? That makes no sense. RS doesn't know you or owe you. Just because RS is shit and doesn't like RUSH doesn't mean they're taking a personal jab at you.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze