The Avengers

GeddyLeefan2112

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn.... starring Robert Downey, Jr., Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson? AND written+directed by Joss Whedon?

I'm so there.

How would you rate it up against my other top superhero movies:

Superman 2

The Dark Knight

Iron Man

Spider Man 2

?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 3 2012, 09:54 AM)
It's better than all of them. I've seen it too... it's better than any superhero movie ever made. Name one, and the Avengers beats it.

Yep, that includes the Dark Knight.

Damn, Joss Whedon is THE MAN! Time for me to go see this movie....

I don't know if I would say its better than The Dark Knight, but its certainly better than the rest. It is without a doubt an amazing movie.

I saw it because I work at a movie theatre. The General Manager screened it while I was working. He came out and said to me "I just want to warn you, probably the best movie I've ever seen." It is just that good.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 3 2012, 10:49 AM)
I don't know if I would say its better than The Dark Knight, but its certainly better than the rest. It is without a doubt an amazing movie.

I saw it because I work at a movie theatre. The General Manager screened it while I was working. He came out and said to me "I just want to warn you, probably the best movie I've ever seen." It is just that good.

That's awesome!

I think half the thing about Iron Man is that I went into that movie not expecting much and was blown away by all the great acting. A lot of movies seem to put CGI & crappy 'too close to see what's going on' action above acting and a great story.

Would you say there's a lot of great acting in this movie too? I mean, aside from Robert Downey Jr?

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 3 2012, 11:07 AM)

That's awesome!

I think half the thing about Iron Man is that I went into that movie not expecting much and was blown away by all the great acting. A lot of movies seem to put CGI & crappy 'too close to see what's going on' action above acting and a great story.

Would you say there's a lot of great acting in this movie too? I mean, aside from Robert Downey Jr?

I'm not the hugest fan of Iron Man but I would say this is the perfect-blend of Iron Man quality acting and lots of action.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 3 2012, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 3 2012, 11:07 AM)

That's awesome!

I'm not the hugest fan of Iron Man but I would say this is the perfect-blend of Iron Man quality acting and lots of action.

Thank you, I was going to see this anyhow but this is great news.

Have a good one!

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 3 2012, 12:07 PM)

That's awesome!

That's exactly how I felt about Iron Man.... I think Robert Downey, Jr. automatically ups the enjoyability of any movie he graces his presence with, no matter how bad (not that Iron Man was bad).

Sherlock Holmes (the first remake.... haven't seen the sequel and don't want to) sucked big-time, but Downey made the experience tolerable (despite being horribly miscast as Holmes).

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 3 2012, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 3 2012, 12:07 PM)

That's awesome!

That's exactly how I felt about Iron Man.... I think Robert Downey, Jr. automatically ups the enjoyability of any movie he graces his presence with, no matter how bad (not that Iron Man was bad).

Sherlock Holmes (the first remake.... haven't seen the sequel and don't want to) sucked big-time, but Downey made the experience tolerable (despite being horribly miscast as Holmes).

I loved the sequel to Sherlock Holmes. I remember the first one being 'okay'.

I just love Robert Downey Jr... but I have certain expectations when it comes to superhero movies. I felt that Iron Man would have been better served being renamed Tony Stark.

In any rate, I have the poster to Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows hanging above my bed. Another perk of working at a movie theatre.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 3 2012, 03:42 PM)
For those who've seen it, how does it stack up against The Watchmen?

Anyway, given the hype on this movie, this thing is gonna make bucketloads of moola. yes.gif

Pity you won't see any of it Goobs...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 3 2012, 02:42 PM)

Anyway, given the hype on this movie, this thing is gonna make bucketloads of moola. yes.gif

I hated the Watchmen, so this pretty much destroys it. But as objectively as I can make the statement... it's way better.

It's on track to make over half a billion dollars in its opening weekend. It'll probably hit a billion by the end of the month. So yeah... lotsa moola biggrin.gif

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 3 2012, 05:21 PM)
I hated the Watchmen, so this pretty much destroys it.

Amen. A real disgrace to the novel.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 3 2012, 02:21 PM)

I hated the Watchmen, so this pretty much destroys it. But as objectively as I can make the statement... it's way better.

It's on track to make over half a billion dollars in its opening weekend. It'll probably hit a billion by the end of the month. So yeah... lotsa moola biggrin.gif

If you're talking about domestically, even the highest grossing movies ever have made somewhere around $150 - $170 million the first week-end, so $500 million is a statistical impossibility. If you're talking internationally, even that would be extremely difficult, including domestically - for example, the movie opened outside the U.S. first (which is unusual in and of itself) last week-end, and it made about $185 million, but now the total is up to $281 million. So, by the end of the week-end, it could be up to $500 million, but that includes 9 days of overseas money including 2 overseas week-ends.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 3 2012, 03:56 PM)

If you're talking about domestically, even the highest grossing movies ever have made somewhere around $150 - $170 million the first week-end, so $500 million is a statistical impossibility. If you're talking internationally, even that would be extremely difficult, including domestically - for example, the movie opened outside the U.S. first (which is unusual in and of itself) last week-end, and it made about $185 million, but now the total is up to $281 million. So, by the end of the week-end, it could be up to $500 million, but that includes 9 days of overseas money including 2 overseas week-ends.

Yep, you're right. I misread the story and got my numbers mixed up. They're expecting $500 million or more worldwide by Sunday.

http://www.newsarama.com/film/avengers-dom...box-office.html

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 3 2012, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 3 2012, 03:56 PM)

Yep, you're right. I misread the story and got my numbers mixed up. They're expecting $500 million or more worldwide by Sunday.

http://www.newsarama.com/film/avengers-dom...box-office.html

It's all good. Still, however you slice it, BUCKETLOADS of moola! yes.gif

CHA-CHING!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 3 2012, 03:42 PM)

Better than Watchmen, although I did enjoy Watchmen quite a bit.

And yes I read the comic to those who are saying they didn't like it. The comic is undoubtedly better.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 3 2012, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 3 2012, 05:21 PM)
I hated the Watchmen, so this pretty much destroys it.

Amen. A real disgrace to the novel.

Disgrace might be too harsh, but yeah the novel is so much better.

The only thing the movie really did any better than the book IMO is changing the way Rorscarch kills the child killer. In the book it's a total ripoff of the end of Mad Max with the handcuffs / hacksaw. I don't know why it was written that way.

This movie was perfect because it was so much fun. It wasn't extremely deep or anything like that, but it's rare to come across such a simply enjoyable music. Probably the coolest action ever, some great humor, and then there the sheer awesomeness of seeing so many badasses work together as a team.

I thought I was going alone to see this, but my wife suddenly wants to come with me. Surely she'll hate this and harsh my mellow, but I'm hoping she'll tolerate it. I'm hoping she'll simply decide she wants to go shopping instead and let me geek out in privacy, but I love that she wants to be with me too.