The Avengers

GeddyLeefan2112

Avengers finally came out here last weekend. I believe this is the last industrialized nation on the planet to get it. Anyway...the movie was way better than I expected. I wasn't worried about hype because there was no hype out here. Funnily (or unfunnily), during the comedic scenes I was the only one in the sold out cinema that laughed [some jokes just can't be translated and/or have too much referenced based in American culture...but that's another topic]. Great action, nice portrayal of the characters and their interaction, good acting, and sweet special effects. I was very happy with how they did the Hulk AND how they had Cap & Iron Man getting in each other's faces ala the earlier comics.

Many people say that Dark Knight is the best superhero movie ever. I don't even think that that's better than Batman Begins. I'd say Avengers is better than Dark Knight and possibly better than Batman Begins [which I thought/possibly still think is #1]. I'll have to watch Avengers again in the cinema within the next couple of weeks.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 3 2012, 08:54 AM)
It's better than all of them. I've seen it too... it's better than any superhero movie ever made. Name one, and the Avengers beats it.

Yep, that includes the Dark Knight.

what i liked about the film is that i could take my 7 year old to see it and not have to worry about langauge. One cuss word in the movie I think.

Better than the Dark Knight, hmmmmmm, no way. However the humor of this film was just outstanding.

A great marvel movie though, no doubt, one of their very best.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 22 2012, 06:21 AM)
Many people say that Dark Knight is the best superhero movie ever. I don't even think that that's better than Batman Begins. I'd say Avengers is better than Dark Knight and possibly better than Batman Begins [which I thought/possibly still think is #1].

goodpost.gif

The Dark Knight is quite overrated. How can it be a "superhero movie" when the superhero plays such a minor role? I'd put The Avengers, Iron Man, Spiderman, Batman Begins, and Superman Returns all over The Dark Knight and its forgettable sequel, The Dark Knight Rises.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 23 2012, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 22 2012, 06:21 AM)
Many people say that Dark Knight is the best superhero movie ever. I don't even think that that's better than Batman Begins. I'd say Avengers is better than Dark Knight and possibly better than Batman Begins [which I thought/possibly still think is #1].

goodpost.gif

The Dark Knight is quite overrated. How can it be a "superhero movie" when the superhero plays such a minor role? I'd put The Avengers, Iron Man, Spiderman, Batman Begins, and Superman Returns all over The Dark Knight and its forgettable sequel, The Dark Knight Rises.

Well, I still think Dark Knight is a very good movie. It's just that there were a few things that bothered me...one being the way Scarecrow was taken out of the film in about 2 minutes. It's a far cry from how he was a majorly dangerous and important villain in Batman Begins

It's difficult to compare the Batman movies with the Marvel / Avenger movies. While both are comic based they have very different goals.

Nolan's films are far darker in subject matter, less superhero/cartoonish and just a more serious tone...artsy is you will. The Marvel movies are pure popcorn fun. I really like them all but different moods call for different stuff.

To me it's like comparing a funeral dirge to a 12" dance mix. Theyre both music but they ain't the same.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 24 2012, 05:20 PM)
It's difficult to compare the Batman movies with the Marvel / Avenger movies. While both are comic based they have very different goals.

Nolan's films are far darker in subject matter, less superhero/cartoonish and just a more serious tone...artsy is you will. The Marvel movies are pure popcorn fun. I really like them all but different moods call for different stuff.

To me it's like comparing a funeral dirge to a 12" dance mix. Theyre both music but they ain't the same.

goodpost.gif

Very good points, but what bothered me about The Dark Knight was that it could have been titled "The Joker" .... (with a cameo appearance by Batman). I sat in the theater thinking, "OK, when is Batman going to show up?" It was a Heath Ledger acting extravaganza, and scene after scene of the sadistic Joker doing his thing.....it was just too much for me...... confused13.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 24 2012, 10:19 PM)

goodpost.gif

Very good points, but what bothered me about The Dark Knight was that it could have been titled "The Joker" .... (with a cameo appearance by Batman). I sat in the theater thinking, "OK, when is Batman going to show up?" It was a Heath Ledger acting extravaganza, and scene after scene of the sadistic Joker doing his thing.....it was just too much for me...... confused13.gif

Scene after scene of The Joker? Really? I think I watched a different movie.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 24 2012, 09:29 PM)

goodpost.gif

Yeah same wacko.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 24 2012, 08:29 PM)

goodpost.gif

Even if true, why is that a bad thing? I thought Ledger was mesmorizing as the Joker.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 25 2012, 07:20 AM)

Why is it hard to compare them? Isn't it the same as comparing Rush to Justin Bieber? Even with the different goals etc., Rush is better imho. What's hard about that?

I thought The Avengers was really good. A lot of the battle scenes reminded me so much of the old comics. The Hulk was the best thing in the movie but there was a lot of good stuff in it. When Hulk had no one left to hit and Thor was standing next to him, that was hilarious! laugh.gif Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 25 2012, 02:45 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 25 2012, 07:20 AM)

Why is it hard to compare them? Isn't it the same as comparing Rush to Justin Bieber? Even with the different goals etc., Rush is better imho. What's hard about that?

Well I think both series of movies are good (some great) just very different.

Rush vs. bieber is unfair because one sucks donkey balls and one is awesome.

I saw "Avengers", but it wasn't at the theatres, though. I liked it. Edited by Derek19