Rate A Farewell To Kings

Gompers

How do you rate A Farewell to Kings?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate A Farewell to Kings?

7/10. A great album but I'm not as obsessed with the prog, 70's material, as others are. Closer to the Heart, Cygnus X-1, Xanadu are all must haves.

All in all, as great as it is, it probably is their most overrated album. At least going by all the 10's its getting here. For me, Xanadu and CTTH are the only true classics, but I find them unlistenable on this album and would rather hear them on ESL. The title track is great and Cygnus has its moments, but is a little bit goofy. The other tunes are ok, but something about the production turns me off the whole thing. Its almost too crisp and shrill to my ears. Still, it warrants a strong 7.5, rounded up to an 8.

If I hadn't heard Hemispheres first then I might have thought a little better of AFTK. I learned at that point to start from the beginning when you discover a new band. I started with Permanent Waves and All The World's A Stage followed by Hemispheres and then A Farewell To Kings. It was an odd way to get into the band and after that I started from the beginning and went forward.

AFTK is a big change from 2112. It's almost as big a change as the one between Moving Pictures and Signals. Yeah it was still the Rush from 2112, but the keyboards and percussion were adding more color to the songs. Alex was moving beyond just blues-based playing. And let's face it, Rush was going Prog. And we liked it.

The title track is a great lyric. Musically, it feels slightly disjointed in a few places. I think it might be Neil's drumming, honestly. He's putting a lot of weird snare hits in places, and intentionally pushing the rhythm, particularly in the verses and instrumental. This isn't helped by the tempo and dynamic changes. It's not bad at all, don't get me wrong. It just sounds slightly disconnected.

Xanadu is brilliant. The story is one of my favorites, and the music sets the mood. Like I said for 2112, I typically have a dismissive attitude toward the longer songs, but Xanadu just works. It sets up a brilliant mood.

Closer to the Heart is a masterpiece. I think the fan base is less receptive of it because 1) it's been played live for eons and 2) it's short.

Cinderella Man, musically, is very awkward. Like AF2K, it's disjointed feeling. And unlike the title track, I don't think this pulls it back together. Maybe it's the pauses, coupled with, again, Neil putting snare hits in places that remove the rhythm.

Madrigal is nice, but forgettable.

Cygnus X-1 Book 1 doesn't irritate me as much as Book 2. The introduction is brilliant I think, and then the song falls off a bit. The song itself has some off-putting banshee wails from Geddy. I was so much happier when he did away with this from Permanent Waves onwards. Musically, this is a success. Lyrically it's passable. Vocally it's a mess. The instrumental int he beginning I love. From there... meh.

This gets a 7.

QUOTE (English Muffin @ Apr 30 2012, 05:44 PM)
When the classical guitar opens the album.
When the bells/chimes accompany the guitar.
When the classical guitar ends...
You know it's gonna be epic.

Agreed!

I still didn't give it a 10, because Madrigal and Cinderella Man aren't ALL that great; they're all right. But the first side of the album and then the last ten minutes are completely epic!

This has long been my favorite Rush album, it was the first one I owned and it was the album that made me want more.

I love the whole album, especially Cinderella Man which seems to be getting some hate in this thread ohmy.gif

If given the option I would give it a 10.2 so it would be just a little bit ahead of Hemispheres.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 30 2012, 08:03 AM)
Gave it an 8 (more like 8.5).

The Good
A Farewell To Kings
Xanadu
Closer To The Heart
Cygnus X-1

The OK
Cinderella Man

The "Meh..."
Madrigal

This Exactly!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (default236 @ Apr 30 2012, 07:33 AM)
My third favorite behind Counterparts and Hemispheres laugh.gif

Another lover of Counterparts...and Hemispheres! Right on. Well done, and pleased to meet you.

QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 30 2012, 07:19 AM)
I give AFTK a total score of eleventy billion. tongue.gif tongue.gif Rounded down to "10" for this poll. smile.gif smile.gif

Hahahahaha! laugh.gif

Awesome.