Rate Hemispheres

Gompers

How do you rate Hemispheres?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Hemispheres?

Another album I heavily relate to with the early days of my Rush listening, this made me all in with Rush. I was getting into the Prog Rock scene, and the dynamics, musicianship, and storyline of the title track of Hemispheres helped secure that. I know some do not like the "muddiness" of this release, but coupled with the inner sleeve images of the guys, it made this a touch haunting, and that gave Hemispheres another dimension of goodness.

Thank you Rush for La Villa Strangiato! By far, the best listening experience for me of any instrumental by any artist. I had always wished they would create another like it, especially with a very jazzy dynamic interlude like Lerxst in Wonderland, but this would never be the case as we know. The YouTube video of this at Pink Pop is simply amazing and truly showcases the abilities of Alex unlike any other solo of his documented.

There is no bad song here. They all are great.

I rate this a perfect 10!

• Like 1

With all four of its songs being high-caliber numbers, Hemispheres is a pleasure to listen to from start to finish, and I've practically worn out my disc by playing it so frequently. I can't say that Cygnus Book II is better than 2112, but I do think it's more consistent, and it does a better job of holding my interest over the course of its twenty-minute tale. Circumstances is a remarkable rocker. The Trees is great musically, though I was never a big fan of the lyrical approach (aside from the surprising bit at the end). La Villa Strangiato is incredible, though it's something I appreciate more when I'm watching the group perform it, as it's so technically brilliant; I do enjoy listening to it--just not as much as I do some other Rush instrumentals. But the fact that other albums feature tracks I like even more than the fab four here doesn't mean Hemispheres doesn't still rate a strong 8.

10 .Masterpiece

I'm not 100% crazy about The Trees and Circumstances, but I can't rate an album the majority of which is comprised by Cygnus II and La Villa anything lower than 10.

listening to it right now. There isn't a note on this that I dont like. The middle of the Hemispheres epic with the thunder and The Sphere are the only time they don't relent from their pure progginess.

I am extremely happy that Rush decided to create this truly perfect album.

My favorite album of alltime in the bass and drums department. The perfect blend of hard rock and progressive rock.

oops, forgot to rate it. It's a 10.

Edited by Bastille Dave

Ok, here goes:

The Great

The trees

La Villa

Circumstances

The Good

Hemispheres

The First 2 songs are definitely great. Circumstances is very good and bordering on great. Depending on the mood I am in it might rate as "good" and not "great". However I am in generous mood tonight and will push it into the great group tonight

The problem (if you want to call it that) with the album is the title track. Don't take me wrong, its a good song but (IMO) it definitely is not close to being a contender for "great". This pulls the album down from a 10 to a 9. In fact, I would say that it really is an 8+ with enough of a plus to push it to a 9. Definitely several Rush albums I think are better (MP, PeW, HYF, PW, 2112, AFTK, possibly FBN - got to think about that).

Like this album a lot, just not as much as most of the folks here.

The whole first side is just meh. Musically it's repetitive, and considering it's 20 minutes long, it could do so much more. The concept is silly. Guy flies into a blackhole and comes out the other side as a Greek God. And the underlying message is the same thing as the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials, and those got the point across in 30 seconds! Just silly. It's one credit is how tight the band sounds on this track. It may be repetitive, but it is complex.

Circumstances is good. Musically it moves with tempo and dynamic changes. The lyrics are concise and carry a message. This song works.

The Trees is a good parable, and works in the same execution as Circumstances.

La Villa Strangiato is musically brilliant. Just absolutely brilliant as music. But there's no weight to it. It doesn't mean anything. It's just an assemblage of AMAZING musical passages. But it's jsut the sum of it's parts.

So, this album is a 6 in my book. Most of you won't like that, but ask the lot in SOCN, that never stops me from spewing my perspective tongue.gif

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Apr 25 2012, 07:02 PM)

The whole first side is just meh. Musically it's repetitive, and considering it's 20 minutes long, it could do so much more. The concept is silly. Guy flies into a blackhole and comes out the other side as a Greek God. And the underlying message is the same thing as the "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials, and those got the point across in 30 seconds! Just silly. It's one credit is how tight the band sounds on this track. It may be repetitive, but it is complex.

Circumstances is good. Musically it moves with tempo and dynamic changes. The lyrics are concise and carry a message. This song works.

The Trees is a good parable, and works in the same execution as Circumstances.

La Villa Strangiato is musically brilliant. Just absolutely brilliant as music. But there's no weight to it. It doesn't mean anything. It's just an assemblage of AMAZING musical passages. But it's jsut the sum of it's parts.

So, this album is a 6 in my book. Most of you won't like that, but ask the lot in SOCN, that never stops me from spewing my perspective tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

I for one don't have any problem with your post. Its well written and to the point. Its not Rush worship and its honest. You had the courage to take an unpopular position and, rather than just voting and leaving, you explained your self.

As one who likes the album more than you but clearly less than many on TRF, I greatly respect you for taking an unpopular position and explaining it.

trink39.gif

One of the 2 Rush albums that rate a 10 for me. It contains my favorite Rush song - La Villa - and is the first Rush album I sat and listened to. It's perfection. wub.gif

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/alifeson85/hemfail.jpg

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj630/sao106/facepalm.jpg facepalm.gif

Edited by ALifeson85